How do Barcelona rebuild?

Bojan11

Besides getting new manager and board. Those are the two obvious solutions.

They have glaring squad issues with a lot of old players.

Ter Stegen and De Jong are probably the only two players from todays defeat that have long term futures at the club.

What happens with Messi? If he leaves, how do you even start to replace him. Do they have the finances to spend big? They got Dembele and Griezmann who have done nothing. Suarez isn’t the same player he was.

Do they also start to change their playing style rather than being too focused on trying to replicate tiki taka again. They have a lot of good passers in midfield, but not a lot of runners or any power.

Pique and Alba need replacing in defence. Semedo isn’t good enough long term wise for them.

Replacing one of the best ever players is a hard job alone. They got to also replace about 7 other players alongside him too. It’s a bit like us when Fergie left as manager, we also had to replace about 7 or 8 key players too. I don’t think they will have a massive drop off like ours due to their league, but I don’t see them challenging for the champions league any time soon.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wasn't Arthur supposed to be part of their rebuilding? They traded him for Pjanic. :lol:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Sell Messi and begin thinking about the future.

Messi and his pals are the hierarchy. And he will have to go one day, so its better if barca cash in on him and let him go.

In the long run its the best decision.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sell Messi, get a new president, get Pep back and play the kids again.

Simple as that.

Bojan11

Sell Messi and begin thinking about the future.

Messi and his pals are the hierarchy. And he will have to go one day, so its better if barca cash in on him and let him go.

In the long run its the best decision.
How much for though? With the wages he’s on and age, I’m not sure he’d generate a big fee that Barca can rebuild from like he would have a few years ago.

Mainoldo

Sell Messi and get Pep. But they won’t and it will be a fun demise to watch.

izec

Simple as that.
The kids are not good enough. Pep needs money. That would be an actual challenge. He will rather go to Juve or PSG i imagine.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Surely he’ll be City bound?
I dont know, man. Its always reported he wants to go back to aargentina. Would he really want to waste his last bits of energy trying to prove something in the PL? Personally, I don't see the sense in that. He has nothing to prove at all, so I can't see him agreeing to it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Imagine Klopp with that squad. Recipe for disaster (not that I’d mind it haha)
He is probably one of two managers who would get them back To near where they want to be, the other is the return of Pep

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Simple as that.
something like this apart from sell Messi. Keep him but they also they need to trim the fat right back. That’ll take a season or 2 to clear the decks. A bit like what Ole is doing here. Promote a few of the best kids and change the transfer strategy. Their fans won’t mind a few transitional years after how wildly successful they’ve been. Even Madrid are concentrating on young players now the last few years.

Zen

They aren’t trying to replicate tika taka.... actually doing that would be a start since itd be a system.... they have no system right now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At this point as amazing as Messi is, his laziness and attitude outweighs it.

who would spend £100m+ on a 35 year old Messi? only PSG / City could

RyRoc

Sell Messi, hire an actual world class manager who will bring his own ideas and philosophies to the fold (I'm not saying completely get rid of the tiki taka approach, Im saying modernise it and look to become slightly more pragmatic). Play some of the players they spent big money on in their actual right positions (Griezmann and Dembele in particular) and finally for at least two three years specifically target players between the ages of 21-26 to recruit.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They aren’t trying to replicate tika taka.... actually doing that would be a start since itd be a system.... they have no system right now.
Yeah nothing about this looks tiki taka. For one you have to fecking press like crazy. If rumors are true about Xavi there's no way he'd tolerate the level of laziness in and out of possession

Bojan11

either works for me , make it happen
Rather Klopp.

City winning is irrelevant. Liverpool winning is worse.

If Pep leaves that’s Liverpool’s biggest competition gone. I rather he stays till we get our act together and start challenging.

littleman

I wanna say, who cares

Because if it weren't for Messi -- likely GOAT and me wanting to see him have a few more good years

Who cares about this MES QUE UN CLUB..?

Hypocritical, like any other. Petty, like any other. Just had a really good era and romanticizing themselves.

To be fair, we're the same. We have posters replying into threads asking about best world XI with our XI. Pure tribalists, and not football fans.

But I like to see Barca fall. Don't care if they don't rise for another 30 years.

Hulksmash

Sell Messi how?

He's on 60m+40m Bonuses Wages. 98% of clubs would go bankrupt of his wages.

I think it's even for City Standard too much. Only PSG can afford him but they are on high FFP list

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi needs to take like a massive wage cut.

But they are screwed. Horrific transfers.

No upcoming youth besides Puig and Fati. So many players over the hill(Suarez, Busquets, Vidal, Alba).

I think they're in for a barren spell of trophies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
hold on to your seat Nobita! You're a great president!!!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Love to see them in the mud. Hope they return to their late 90s early 00s phase. Horrible club.

they are paying Griezmann £800k a week :lol:

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
They need a manager who the players respect. These top teams nowadays are filled with superstars and the manager has to convince these experienced players from his own vision of football. Just look at Bayern. Months ago nobody would have listed them as a top 3 team, now they are the benchmark of world football. Flick's communication with the team and every player is just remarkable. I personally would go for Xavi if availabe. Somebody who knows the club, charismatic , and he stands for a certain playstyle ( beacause of what he experienced in his career )

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
First, we can't sell Messi, we gave him the keys to leave whenever he wants just with a warning a year in advance.

Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Suarez, Sergi Roberto, Umtiti and Vidal have to leave if you want to rebuild, we can't compromise to give minutes to players that are obviously way past it and want to play based on their legacy alone, keeping them is the root of any future problem.

Pique can stay but as the 3rd/4th CB option, he's still valid and at least he says things clearly, him, Ter Stegen and Messi are the only players capable of passing the torch between the old guard and the new players to come.

Semedo, Firpo and Dembele deserve a second chance, they haven't been up to the level we thought they'd reach, but honestly, no one escapes the general poor level of this roster, they need players that can put more of a fight against them in their spot.

Ter Stegen, Lenglet, De Jong and Griezmann should be the pillars for the next ~4 seasons, these players should be above any reasonable doubt of them being Barcelona worthy, even if Griezmann has struggled this year, he's been used as a scapegoat since day 1.

Puig, Fati, Aleña, Trincao or Pedri should start seeing decent minutes on a consistent basis, but never be weighted down by the responsabilities that their seniors should have.

Messi has to either have enough good players that cover for him in defense to keep playing his amount of minutes, or start playing less but performing at 100% in the minutes he can.

Basically, we need elections this same year (Bartomeu shouldn't be able to milk another year of this), a new DoF (Abidal is done), a new staff with a manager with total control over the squad and without the pressure of winning everything now, 2 FB's (one on each side), 2 or 3 CB's, a reserve DM, a CM, a winger and a striker. They don't need to be world class, they just need to fit the game plan of the new manager, Messi, Griezmann and De Jong are world class enough to sustain the team in the short term.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At this point as amazing as Messi is, his laziness and attitude outweighs it.

who would spend £100m+ on a 35 year old Messi? only PSG / City could
Why would they wait two years to buy him?

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
It's going to take them a while when their transfer record is as bad as it is. As Sid Lowe was saying on Twitter, since the summer 2014 transfer window (which included Ter Stegen, Suarez, Rakitic), have ANY of the players they've brought in been unqualified successes?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They still have young players to build around with. Puig, Fati & De Jong.

Lenglet & Ter Stegen are still in very good age. While Messi is still world class and probably will offer 2-3 more years.

Griezmann can still come good if he's used properly. Busquets & Pjanic can offer good fundamental & experience in their midfield, Puig can learn something from them.

Need to do something with their defense. 3 of their back 4 are just deadwood right now due to ageing.

Clermontois

Supports
France
End of an era for Barca it seems but that defence is a good example of how playing for team with a good reputation can carry players. Bayern does not respect teams though they go for it even when they lose. Pique and Lenglet were always a really limited defence, Alba and Semedo don't add much either but teams respect Barca in the Spanish League so they sometimes scrape a win when they have no right to.

Their midfield is non existent which goes to show all the talk of De Jong being the second coming was nonsense but their attack is actually not bad Messi is no longer the answer in difficult games.

Castia

So much money wasted. Almost £400m on Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann.....fecking hell, Not looking much better either is it swapping Arthur for Pjanic.

Spending that money and still needing a complete rebuild for an ageing team, they’re in trouble.