How do Barcelona rebuild?

tjb

End of an era for Barca it seems but that defence is a good example of how playing for team with a good reputation can carry players. Bayern does not respect teams though they go for it even when they lose. Pique and Lenglet were always a really limited defence, Alba and Semedo don't add much either but teams respect Barca in the Spanish League so they sometimes scrape a win when they have no right to.

Their midfield is non existent which goes to show all the talk of De Jong being the second coming was nonsense but their attack is actually not bad Messi is no longer the answer in difficult games.
I don't understand what De Jong is.Overrated.

Red00012

I think Jan Aage Fjortoft should start a Klopp to Barca rumour

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They just swapped Arthur for an ageing and coming off a poor season Pjanic. They’re run like amateurs off the pitch.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sell Messi, use the funds to revamp the squad in key areas. Bring in a top manager with full autonomy and get rid of the president.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don’t forget they currently have by far the highest wage bill in the world. Madness.

Jibbs

Start with selling Messi, Suarez, Busquets and Pique. The sooner they move on from that famous crop the better. Bring in new players who suit and identify with Barcelona identity and rebuild the squad from there. They are lucky they play in La Liga so qualifying for Champions League won't be such a big issue and won't hit their finances like it hit United's.

Giggsy13

They have a long road ahead once Messi retires. Other than Ansu Fati, who else is coming though their academy? The Pjanic for Arthur swap shows they short term vision for the club. In a few years when Messi’s influence starts fading they will be in a lot of trouble.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The defence need a shake up. They also need to sack off this “play it out the back or nothing”. I don’t even like Barca and it was making me nervous seeing Ter Stegen’s passes to the defenders.

Sell Vidal and Busquets, or at least don’t make the latter first choice. Pjanic can be the “experienced” head in the middle.

Their attack needs a shake up. Offensively, I thought Messi was faultless last night. But there is no speed up top. If they had someone with some pace, they could have been two or three up in the first 15 minutes given how much space Bayern were offering in front of Neuer.

Not sure what kind of transfers they’d be able to do this summer.

I think they’d be forced to give Dembele another chance - as I can’t see them getting an elite level winger with the lack of Sancho-like money required.

Ter Stegen

Roberto CB CB Alba

Pjanic
Messi CM

Dembele Griezmann Fati

That’s the best I can come up with at the time. I think Pique is past it, and I don’t rate Lenglet. I think Semedo is shody defensively.

Maybe sign Lauturo Martinez.
They need to buy a good energetic midfielder to do a feckton or running in the middle. What they need is a regen Mascherano right now.

Mr Smith

A lot of people calling for Messi to be sold. But how many teams have the money and desire to buy him?

I think the following European clubs have the financial power to buy Messi and pay him at least a respectable salary (I don't think anyone can match his current earnings):
- Man City
- PSG
- Man United
- Maaaaaayybe Inter with some clever accounting

Of those teams, how may of them would actually need/want Messi?

PSG don't need him; top heavy enough as it is. Possible as he does have friends there (Neymar and Di Maria) but very unlikely.

City is a possibility, but I'm not sure that a 33 year old Messi actually fits into a Guardiola team. Guardiola requires a high workrate of all of his players, and Messi understandably can't sustain a high workrate for 90 minutes at his age if you want to get the best out of him. Would Guardiola be prepared to make sacrifices in his aproach in order to take Messi on? Questionable at best.

Would United take Messi? Pre-COVID, I actually could see this as a possibility, but for a maximum of 2-3 years of service, I can't see us making the investment. The club is trying to bring down the age of players and the cost of the wage bill; I'm not sure the short-term cost to short-term benefit is justifiable.

Inter is only a possibility if Messi doesn't care about wages at all, but he has the same problem as with City; can Conte really sacrifice his principles to have a player who is a guarenteed game-changer but won't run? I'm skeptical.

Eddy_JukeZ

The defence need a shake up. They also need to sack off this “play it out the back or nothing”. I don’t even like Barca and it was making me nervous seeing Ter Stegen’s passes to the defenders.

Sell Vidal and Busquets, or at least don’t make the latter first choice. Pjanic can be the “experienced” head in the middle.

Their attack needs a shake up. Offensively, I thought Messi was faultless last night. But there is no speed up top. If they had someone with some pace, they could have been two or three up in the first 15 minutes given how much space Bayern were offering in front of Neuer.

Not sure what kind of transfers they’d be able to do this summer.

I think they’d be forced to give Dembele another chance - as I can’t see them getting an elite level winger with the lack of Sancho-like money required.

Ter Stegen

Roberto CB CB Alba

Pjanic
Messi CM

Dembele Griezmann Fati

That’s the best I can come up with at the time. I think Pique is past it, and I don’t rate Lenglet. I think Semedo is shody defensively.

Maybe sign Lauturo Martinez.
They need to buy a good energetic midfielder to do a feckton or running in the middle. What they need is a regen Mascherano right now.
Messi in midfield is a disaster. He doesn't track back or run enough to be a midfielder.

AshRK

People can blame the manager, blame the board but I feel messi has too much power. He is a magic footballer but he is not a leader and the fact that he has so much power in decision making is taking Barca backwards.

ghagua

They need a total rebuild of the club. They will hang about as long as Messi is able to perform, but how long can he go on. Klopp or Pep would do just fine!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What is this power Messi has got? Does he decide who they buy, who they play, who they appoint? I know player power is growing in the game - given the finances behind those big players, but I doubt at his age they bow down to his demands - and that's assuming he's actually trying to force certain things.

It would be sensible for Barca to bite the bullet and spend a couple of seasons in the wilderness (that would still qualify them for CL and extended cup runs), try all they can to shift the old guard and sign upcoming talent along with using their academy products.

ManRed

Will ignore the board as thats a rebuild in its own. For the team:

Pep or Klopp are not realistic in the short term. Barcelona need to build an identity and system and 2 coaches I see possible are Nagelsmann or Pochettino.

Both these coaches don't need big signings to get things on track and will instill an identity to the club. A few good windows and coaching can get the team back on track.

I doubt Barcelona can move Messi or Griezmann in this window to raise funds for rebuild. Maybe dembele to Manutd is the only real possibility at this moment but he is also our 2nd choice.

Sell or move on 2 of Griezmann, Messi, Suarez, Dembele. With wages freed up and transfer budget sign 2 good defensive players. Also promote youngsters. This will be the start of rebuild.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Messi as player manager?

Can’t be any worse than the incumbent who seems to have anyway been Messi’s biatch?

RooneyLegend

If they don't sell Messi then the rebuild will be painful. Does nothing off the ball, isn't much of a factor in counter attacking, and gives the ball away in midfield if under pressure. It's asking for trouble to keep him around.

TrustInOle

Ter Stegen
RB......CB......Lenglet.....Alba
DM
Pjanic......CM
RW (Dembele?).......Fati
Messi​

About the best I can do, basically they are fecked. Let their squad get to far down the line without planning well to find replacements. Will be nigh on impossible to move some of their players now in these uncertain times.

Bondi77

Play Dembele so I can see if he is still as good as when he played against England a few years ago

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
If the Bayern performance today showed anything then it was that for any rebuild the first and most important step remains a competent manager. Barca should be all over Pochettino

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Griezmann and Messi salaries alone are worth more than our entire front line+midfield salaries combined.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Had OGS played our first team vs this Barcelona team last night, who would have won?

I think we could have won.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Rebuild? I thought Vidal said they were the best team in the world? :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They're clearly in trouble. Wasted an awful lot of money and are terrible mismanaged. It'll take a change of leadership and management, and then some time to get back on track. The on field stuff then eventually falls in place. Maybe in the short term we'll see an upswing sooner but it seems their mismanagement is finally catching up to them - Messi era or not

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They are fecked. This today was building up and brewing for a couple of years.
Absolutely. The last 4-5 years really. They can't defend, they have signed expensive flops, they hire mediocre managers and are just awfully run. Having Messi, Suarez etc has masked their inadequacies for a long time now. Eventually it has to tell.

TheRedHearted

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Let messi attend a Continental Pro licence course and take over the club cos they just can't let him go as they were living off him all this while. Appoint both xavi and Iniesta as assistant managers, because you know..