How do Barcelona rebuild?

cyberman

No wonder German football gives up v Bayern. Imagine youre getting bullied and your bully beats up Brock Lesnar.
You would just accept it, especially after tonight

galwayfa

Who would barca fans fans rather right now, C Ronaldo or Messi, blame shouldn't be on Messi though, papers saying Ronaldo been offered to barca,

Clermontois

Supports
France
No wonder German football gives up v Bayern. Imagine youre getting bullied and your bully beats up Brock Lesnar.
You would just accept it, especially after tonight
Bayern were flattered tonight but having seen them in the Bundesliga that team won't win the CL.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bayern were flattered tonight but having seen them in the Bundesliga that team won't win the CL.
You don't think a team that just made Barcelona look like a pub team are extreme favourites to win it?

Clermontois

Supports
France
You don't think a team that just made Barcelona look like a pub team are extreme favourites to win it?
They are favorites, I agree but that does not mean they will win. Barcelona had that hiding coming for some time.

Hawks2008

Board and manager aside cause that's a whole cluster feck in it's own

>Get Busquets, Vidal, Alba, Suarez and co. out of the team.
>stop trying to make Griezmann/Coutinho/Dembele mega deals, that said they should really try to get Griezmann and Dembele working again it could be worse if they take the hit and get rid.
>Hoover up good La Liga players in the 20-25 age range (Roca, Kounde, Torres, Oyarzabal, etc.) To build around Ter Stegen, Lenglet, De Jong
>get back to investing in La Masia and start giving the likes of Fati and Puig more regular minutes.
>Messi... well, they probably still have 2-3 more elite years of his but at the wage he's commanding it hamstrings them a bit. Maybe its time to sort an exit strategy of sorts? I don't know.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Sell Messi to PSG, City, or whoever else can afford him. Sell Griezmann to anybody who will take him, even at a huge loss, as his wages are terrible and he isn't the player to build around. Suarez, Vidal, Rakitic are out of contract in 2021 so take anything you can get or let them walk next summer. Tell Busquets, Alba, and Pique that they can find new clubs or hang around as veterans to guide the younger players, but they aren't going to be centerpieces or regular starters going forward. Fire Semedo into the sun.

With whatever funds you raise, buy two new fullbacks and a striker. Hire a progressive manager like Nagelsmann or Pochettino who will actually implement a real tactical system and have him build the team around the new additions plus Dembele, Coutinho, Pjanic, De Jong, Lenglet, Todibo, Trincao, and Ter Stegen.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Rather Klopp.

City winning is irrelevant. Liverpool winning is worse.

If Pep leaves that’s Liverpool’s biggest competition gone. I rather he stays till we get our act together and start challenging.
Yes, because City squad is crap and they will collapse without the almighty Pep.

Fun fact, both of Pep's previous two clubs have won their domestic championships in the season right after his departure.

Uniquim

Wasn't Arthur supposed to be part of their rebuilding? They traded him for Pjanic. :lol:
There were other reasons for that. Article 67 of the club's statutes states that the club must balance the books within the end of the fiscal year, or the board must either resign or cover the deficit. They tried to drum up interest for other players first, but as the deadline loomed closer Arthur was the one to go.

The end of the fiscal year ends on June 30, the deal went through on June 29.
The reason it was a €72+10m extras for Arthur vs for €60m Pjanic deal, rather than just Arthur for 12+10 and Pjanic, is because Barca could put the incoming 72m as a straight income, and amortise the outlay for Pjanic, meaning they spread the expenditure out over the 4 years of his contract.

They also sold a player from Barca B to Juventus for around 8 million EUR, with a midfielder going to other way, for the same reason.

It's an absolute shitshow.

The 6 directors that resigned earlier in the year, tried to invoke another part of the club's statutes. If more than half the board resigns, it would force a new election. But not enough people followed them out. They recommended there be a new election when they left as well.

Nothing is going to change for Barcelona until Bartomeu is out of the club. Hopefully for Barcelona, that'll be with the next election in 2021.

RUCK4444

I think City will give them a game. That high line and poor defensive play we saw in the first 25 minutes tonight will be a problem against City IMO.

Of course Bayern could outscore City but I think Pep would aim to take possession and would do a far better job of it that Barca did tonight.

Not that I want City to beat them, if they meet I hope City get hammered of course. :D

Rojofiam

I'd say ter Stegen, de Jong and Lenglet are the three players they should definitely keep and they can consider selling everyone else over the next 2-3 years. No point in selling Ansu Fati and Neto either currently.

Realistically, they should be planning to make huge, structural changes to both the board and the squad, but I can't see it happening under Bartomeu. He'll just throw everyone under the bus because he knows the end is near for him.

If I was a Barca fan, I'd most definitely be concerned and have 0 faith in the club to carry out a smart, long-term rebuild in the upcoming years.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is probably one of two managers who would get them back To near where they want to be, the other is the return of Pep
Given prices of players right now has to be Klopp as pep can’t be arsed with finding and polishing unknown jewels

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The TV money they get means they should just take the hit for the next couple of years in terms of letting go of senior players and trusting in youth. It might cost them a few years in terms of trophies but if they don’t take the hit it could lead to a very nasty situation.

Klopp would be a great manager for this situation as he completely transformed a shit Liverpool squad into the best team in the world.

Bojan11

Yes, because City squad is crap and they will collapse without the almighty Pep.

Fun fact, both of Pep's previous two clubs have won their domestic championships in the season right after his departure.
They won’t hire a better manager than Klopp though. Klopp and Liverpool won’t be going away as badly as I want them to. Liverpool got a crazy amount of points last season yet Pep still won the league. No other manager beats Liverpool to the league last season regardless of how good the City squad is.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Given prices Of players right now has to be Klopp as pep can’t be arsed with finding and polishing unknown jewels
Hope it happens. I think we can all agree on that

SinNombre

I made a post on the newbie forum which I'll cross-post here.

Very old squad - 29.7 was the starting age today.

Very expensive squad - €501m in annual wage bill (200m more than United) and higher than the bottom 14 clubs in La Liga combined !

No resale value - see wages and age above and their players are on long dated contracts. No one wants Coutinho who they have been shipping around for the same reasons.

They are more impacted by Covid than the other big clubs.

Significant losses in their basketball and volleyball teams (-€40m before Covid) which are supported by football.

Massive debt and they are in the process of revitalizing Camp Nou at significant costs (€685m)

Very reliant on player sales, especially players from the academy who have historically commanded a premium compared to actual performances.

If they want to become competitive in Europe with a relatively short turnaround time, I think they need to sell Messi (if PSG misses out on CL again and is willing to fork 100m+ for a 34 year old on 60m wages) and Ter Stegen (Chelsea might pay Kepa money for him around).

Outside of those 2, they really have no other assets to sell and no easy to bring their wages down.

Like who will pay 800k/week wages to Griezmann??

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
First they have to admire that they need a major transformation. After that they have to work out what style of football will dominate in 3 years time and build towards that. Neither step can involve Messi and has to utilise Grizeman, Coutinho Dembele etc.

Otherwise they will end up doing what we did after SAF and pitch between incremental changes or varying styles of football and a new manager every 18 months.

It makes more sense for Barcelona to appoint the most qualified hipster manager out there. But I’m not sure their fan base would have the patience.

Jezpeza

feck em. Boring one man team full of cynical fouls. Hope they cant rebuild

JSArsenal

Zidane and Perez must have been laughing watching this game.

All Madrid have to do is not implode and they're basically guaranteed a straight run at La Liga for the next two seasons. As the ol cliche goes, things change quickly in football but I don't see how Barcelona turn this around soon.

Selling Messi could destroy the morale of the club if they do and things get worse. If he is to go, then it needs to be managed very carefully, where both sides come out and say it was a mutual decision and both believe that it is best for the club to rebuild. With an acknowledgment that rebuilding will take a while.

If they get him out the door, bash him and bring out all kinds of negative press about the best player in their history, and the team sinks to new lows. Its going to get nasty at the Nou Camp.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
They may need to take a few steps back to,for the longterm,go forwards.

Their wage bill for example needs to be cut drastically and that's going to be very,very hard in this climate.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pique and Busquets can't be automatic starters anymore imo even with their club legend status, Pique admitted as much in his interview. Keep them around for experience and help the younger players but they get regularly exposed at highest level, possibly Alba aswell but he does provide plenty still going forward. Amazed at how often Vidal has started last two seasons. I pictured him as a tempo sub for last 20 minutes but he seems to start all the big CL games even though he's well past his peak.

Problems all over the pitch. Away from Camp Nou they massively struggle to press or counter attack, just a consquence of Messi and Suarez being nearly mid 30s now. They're still good but can't do as much over the pitch as five years ago so rest of the side gets stretched and overwhelmed.

Losing Neymar really did hurt them in CL, that extra attacker to hurt the opposition when the other two aren't quite on it. 200m + replacements in Coutinho, Greizmann and Dembele and none of them have stepped up.

paulscholes18

Let Messi’s run out, try and get Suarez, Pique, Busquets, Braithwaite & Vidal off the wage bill by the end of the next summers transfer window. Then replace them with younger players who are ready for the step up like Pau Torres, Van de Beek, Reguilion (I know he is the books at Real Madrid, but they want to sell), Oyarzabal & Carlos Soler

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
They may need to take a few steps back to,for the longterm,go forwards.

Their wage bill for example needs to be cut drastically and that's going to be very,very hard in this climate.
It's impossible to take steps back from this, where would that lead us to, playing the EL? Bayern scoring 12 against us?. We've been ridiculed 5 times in the last 4 UCL while having the best player in the world, it can get worse, but it's really difficult to achieve it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's impossible to take steps back from this, where would that lead us to, playing the EL? Bayern scoring 12 against us?. We've been ridiculed 5 times in the last 4 UCL while having the best player in the world, it can get worse, but it's really difficult to achieve it.
I can remember early 2000s when you weren't even making Uefa cup. That was when Rivaldo was in amazing form aswell (that iconic hat trick v Valencia on the final day scraped you into 4th).

Very different times though with a much stronger Spanish field (Valencia and Depor both finishing above you a few times and those two won't be doing that for a very long time).

Ultimately Messi can't win CL SFs on his own anymore but he's still very good for 20 + points in La Liga. Take him away and I do think Barcelona will have a relatively poor domestic season as you lose that aura then you have at Camp Nou.

Sometimes it only takes one signing though. Getting Ronaldinho in 2003 totally changed the trajectory of the club and then Messi and Pep popped up a few years later.

It's easy to forget sometimes Barcelona had only won one european cup up to April 2006.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They need a midfielder and a defender.

De Jong, Pjanic, Puig, new midfielder ,Vidal is fine.
Bring Coutinho to left, Greizman to centre.

Lenglet, New defender, Pique, Alaba,Firpo,Semedo

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They have little room to manoeuvre with Messi on €1.3m per week. They need to get rid of him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They need a midfielder and a defender.

De Jong, Pjanic, Puig, new midfielder ,Vidal is fine.
Bring Coutinho to left, Greizman to centre.

Lenglet, New defender, Pique, Alaba,Firpo,Semedo
Where's the pace?

Havak

Pokemon master
They need to sort the wage bill out and bring through some of the youth. Might have to knock winning the title on the head for a bit, but they'll stay in the Champion's League at least.

Too many players on ridiculous wages.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

I'm sure it was an incredible achievement for *checks notes* Barcelona with a prime Messi and Bayern to win the league after Pep left them.