Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvored

He's slow
He's expensive
He's making mistakes
He's a failed regimes captain
He's out of form

But, lets not just re-write history here.

He was also very good for us for most of his first 2 seasons, where he helped us secure 3rd and 2nd place in the PL. This gained us a lot of financial income from CL qualification, which effectively pays the extortion on his transfer fee. If his true market value is £40m-£50m and we paid £80m, then his involvement in back to back CL qualification justifies his fee. Without Maguire in 19/20 we wouldn't have finished top 4. Not a chance

Will he shake off this terrible run of form, maybe....... would I take £50m for him if it came along, YES.

The issue is, when we change managers every 2-3 years, the squad building goes stale and players stay for eternity (Mata, Smalling, Rojo etc). The next manager that comes in is never in a million years going to sell Maguire the same summer.
Nobody is going to pay £50 mill for a slow CB who is 29 next month. I think we would be very lucky to get £30 mill and maybe would have to accept £20 mill.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Top clubs take the hit when they mess up. He should be loaned out in the summer and allowed to recapture his form at another side. If he stays, it has to be on the bench like Coutinho, Kepa, Hazard, Mangala or any other high profile, expensive transfer that isn’t up to scratch.

He doesn’t even suit the way we are moving as a team. I would say Newcastle would be happy to have him and we probably won’t be in Europe anyway so no need to worry about missing out on any of that.

Take the hit, learn from it, and move on. We need to stop being so sentimental or we will never get any better as a team.

If he starts next season as Captain it shows you everything about where we are as a club.

RopersReturn

We might be able to sell him to Newcastle as a utility player. Other than loaning him to AS Roma, we’re pretty much stuck with him for now.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
We should just cut our losses, admit it was a big mistake and move on. For everyones best..

Red Rash

I think when he was paired with Lindelof his flaws were kind of covered by the fact that they were both slow. It made you think that with a quick defender next to him we would see a better player.

However it's kind of had the opposite effect because Varane just looks a miles better player than Maguire. Also Lindelof seems a better partner for Varane than Maguire.

Wing Attack Plan R

Shearer is a bitter cnut and I don't care what he has to say about us.

That said, Maguire does not suit the system Ralf wants us to play. Maguire is a decent player. I don't think he's an elite level player, and I don't think he gets anywhere near the top 6 sides' starting lineups. When Ole had us sit and play on the counter, it suited Maguire because everyone sat around him and he was only asked to accelerate in attack. Now that Ralf wants everyone to play a more complete style of football, Maguire is exposed because it is not his natural game. He is not a nimble and agile player. He is the kind who will put his head through a wall, but he's neither fleet of foot nor mind.

So it's not that Maguire is suddenly shit, it's that the system is changing out from under him and he's not the right player for where we are going. He's had his ups, his downs, some good games for us, and some calamities. He's not the worst player to have signed for United, he's not some stain on the badge, he's just an average player who rarely gets injured but doesn't fit into our new system.

pre Munich Red

All in Rangnick’s hands now, or perhaps not?

Bruce/Pallister….Vidic/Ferdinand….Varane/?….
Stuck with Maguire indefinitely….

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've been one of Maguire's biggest fans, but my word he's making it very difficult to back him this season.

What the heck was that goal about yesterday?

Followed matey too far, got turned ridiculously, and ended up looking like a kid chasing a sprinter.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Sad truth is that Maguire's form will improve significantly from where it is now but he still will never be good enough for a team competing to win the highest honours. It means of course we won't sell him and he'll remain first choice which is actually the worst possible outcome.

dal

Fk me he was one of the best in the league last year.

We dominated them and it was not our defenders fault we lost that game.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Fk me he was one of the best in the league last year.

We dominated them and it was not our defenders fault we lost that game.
Lost what game?

Last year means jack shit - Maguire has been shite for months now. Thats not even up for debate.

spiriticon

I shudder to think what his reactions, speed and acceleration will be like in his 30s

hungrywing

Think of it this way: would anyone like to be the executive walking into a transfer window full of his/her peers after having taken Maguire off United's hands?

Flexdegea

My mind blown he be 29 next month.

He already got Blanc mobility and pace when he was pretty much close to retirement that time he played for us :lol:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Are you saying Maguire's performance is perfectly OK and not an issue for us? Because that's is what is relevant in this particular thread.
The attack recent wastefulness is another issue, for another topic.
No, what I'm saying is to stop scapegoating Maguire when others are just as much to blame if not more

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't disagree with McT criticism, he was also very slow coming back in general when you watch the replay. Maguire/McT coming together though has no bearing on what follows. I don't see why it would matter if we can't see Varane looking, what would you rather he did other than close the ball down? If you want to criticise multiple players Maguire, McT are mostly to blame and then Shaw plays them onside. Varane, Dalot, DDG could probably could have done more in an ideal world but it'd be harsh.
It's a bunch of errors all coming together. My problem is that Maguire is the one who gets scapegoated when his error is probably the one that has the least effect on the play. McTominay and Verane are the ones who are most at fault. But Verane can't do no wrong and McTominay doesn't read the play well at all. This all could have been avoided very easily and I can guarantee you that while Maguire might be taking most of the blame from the "supporters", the video coach is probably sitting down with McT and Verane right now and showing them what they should have done to prevent the goal...

ROFLUTION

By changing his name from Harry to Jerry and offering him to Hollywood as a shitty sequel.

RC89

He's slow
He's expensive
He's making mistakes
He's a failed regimes captain
He's out of form

But, lets not just re-write history here.

He was also very good for us for most of his first 2 seasons, where he helped us secure 3rd and 2nd place in the PL. This gained us a lot of financial income from CL qualification, which effectively pays the extortion on his transfer fee. If his true market value is £40m-£50m and we paid £80m, then his involvement in back to back CL qualification justifies his fee. Without Maguire in 19/20 we wouldn't have finished top 4. Not a chance

Will he shake off this terrible run of form, maybe....... would I take £50m for him if it came along, YES.

The issue is, when we change managers every 2-3 years, the squad building goes stale and players stay for eternity (Mata, Smalling, Rojo etc). The next manager that comes in is never in a million years going to sell Maguire the same summer.
Who's rewriting history here? He was crap in his first season, maybe not quite as bad as now but even at the time people were slating him for how poor he was. Last season he was pretty decent, very good is still a stretch.

GlasgowCeltic

Holy f***, are you really getting your knickers in a bunch over a spelling mistake on a name? Pathetic
It's just a bit weird mate, here you are defending one player with all your heart, while seemingly intentionally misspelling the name of the player who's come in and pretty much emasculated him

Red_toad

A complete amateur like myself with no football transfer experience or scouting just used my eyes and knew he wasn't worth £80M. I was vehemently against us signing him because I didn't think he had the mentality, never mind he wasn't that great of a player. How the feck did professionals miss his non-qualities and pay all this money?
I am fecked off with him. Seeing him as captain is depressing. I would sell him to anyone and suck up the financial loss. Just get rid of him.
We won't so suck it up and deal with it.

ExoduS

What is most expensive fridge you can buy in England? Put that label on his forehead and sell him as a luxury appliance. We will probably get more money than trying to sell him as a defender.

tomaldinho1

It's a bunch of errors all coming together. My problem is that Maguire is the one who gets scapegoated when his error is probably the one that has the least effect on the play. McTominay and Verane are the ones who are most at fault. But Verane can't do no wrong and McTominay doesn't read the play well at all. This all could have been avoided very easily and I can guarantee you that while Maguire might be taking most of the blame from the "supporters", the video coach is probably sitting down with McT and Verane right now and showing them what they should have done to prevent the goal...
Varane can do wrong and made a terrible brain fart only a few games ago, I still don't get what you expect him to have been able to do in that situation for Burnley's goal though? McT I already agreed with you on and, yes, of course football is a team game and it's rare a goal is solely on a single player but Maguire isn't getting scapegoated, he's been consistently bad for a while now and that kind of performance, getting a goal disallowed (more clumsy than being stupid), getting turned and left in no mans land for their goal and also being lucky to escape a red for the last man pull back is just becoming the norm. Bad judgement in important situations.

lex talionis

Lindelof is equally as error-prone as Maguire, Bailly even more so.

Frustrates me to no end that we're having alternate between 3 bang-average CB's, none of which will ever be good enough for a title-challenging side. It shouldn't be the case for a club with United's resources.
I don't disagree that Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly are all prone to errors. But I'm more confident in Lindelof getting the basics right. Where Lindelof falls apart is in getting bullied, but on some of those occasions the referee didn't do their jobs. We conceded a goal last season when Lindelof's face was literally being pulled back by the forward.

A shame about the collapse of Maguire. He was well above average for us when he joined the club, but he's definitely bang-average now.

ravi2

Solskjaer's great gift to United.
To be fair Jose wanted him as well and when Woodward didnt get him thats when the relationship with Jose began to deteriorate.
If we had moved for him when Jose wanted him he would have cost less.

He is still shit but looked ok at leicester

Gums

Shearer is a bitter cnut and I don't care what he has to say about us.

That said, Maguire does not suit the system Ralf wants us to play. Maguire is a decent player. I don't think he's an elite level player, and I don't think he gets anywhere near the top 6 sides' starting lineups. When Ole had us sit and play on the counter, it suited Maguire because everyone sat around him and he was only asked to accelerate in attack. Now that Ralf wants everyone to play a more complete style of football, Maguire is exposed because it is not his natural game. He is not a nimble and agile player. He is the kind who will put his head through a wall, but he's neither fleet of foot nor mind.

So it's not that Maguire is suddenly shit, it's that the system is changing out from under him and he's not the right player for where we are going. He's had his ups, his downs, some good games for us, and some calamities. He's not the worst player to have signed for United, he's not some stain on the badge, he's just an average player who rarely gets injured but doesn't fit into our new system.
This sums it up neatly. Take the hit and replace by a player who suits the system.

Jackal981

Other players are to blame for Maguire being bad match after match. Got you.
Bet you my left nut that poster is one of Maguire family or friends. Remember one of our unnamed player family member sending Luckhurst abusive email for his criticism ? Bet that one is Maguire. You can also find her sister liking tweet bashing Keane because Keane the Nobody dare to vilify the Great Arry

sifi36

Transfer fees are amortised over the length of a player’s contract. As such his value on the balance sheet at the end of this season will be £32 million. We should be able to recover that at least and still be able to buy a good, talented centre-back. Akanji would be an excellent partner for Varane and would be available for less than that as he only has a year left on his contract in the summer.

MUFC OK

Akanji would be an excellent partner for Varane and would be available for less than that as he only has a year left on his contract in the summer.
Not sure about these links, haven't Dortmund been shipping tonnes of goals this season? including in a 5-2 loss last weekend where he scored an own goal.

Part exchange for Pau Torres? Been really impressed by him. Would probably have to pay half Maguires wages though..

Lentwood

We have to be careful what we wish for. I think Maguire's confidence took a battering after our shambolic tactical approach at the start of the season, and I don't think it helps that his price tag and his prominence for United and England means he is scrutinised far more than other CBs.

I am not here for a back-and-forth argument, so please don't come back at this if it's just going to be all-out negativity. All I am saying is, even now, Maguire is still England's best CB, so if England's best CB isn't good enough for us, who do we go for next?

I certainly can't think of any player currently playing in the Premier League who would be available and is a better CB than Maguire (of course, there are better CBs, but they're not available). Yes, we could look oversees, but I have seen many a mighty reputation shattered when a player moves from another league to the PL, particularly CBs.

My preference would be, get behind Maguire until the end of the season and try to play him into form/confidence alongside Varane. IF we can get Maguire ad Varane working as a partnership, I believe that would be an excellent pairing.

Plus, let's face it, we need a CM and we need a CF. We're not going to be able to address all three positions in one Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.