How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sukhy

Aston Villa and Newcastle have a hell of alot of money, and as bad as Maguire has been this season, he's still better than Tyrone Mings and Lascelles, which isn't saying much.
Just get him off the books, we'll have to take a loss, but so be it, that's the price you pay for making awful decisions, like spending £80m on a footballer who can't run.

macheda14

I think he is probably the United player I have most actively disliked in the time I have supported the club. From the awful performances to his dopey looks - he's just plain annoying to me at this stage.
Yeh, it’s Greenwood for me.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Newcastle, if they stay up, would have him and I can see him playing there too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A complete amateur like myself with no football transfer experience or scouting just used my eyes and knew he wasn't worth £80M. I was vehemently against us signing him because I didn't think he had the mentality, never mind he wasn't that great of a player. How the feck did professionals miss his non-qualities and pay all this money?
I am fecked off with him. Seeing him as captain is depressing. I would sell him to anyone and suck up the financial loss. Just get rid of him.
That is strange as I felt I faced a one man crusade when complaining about this transfer

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Newcastle, if they stay up, would have him and I can see him playing there too.
Yep, Newcastle would probably be interested if we tried to unload him.
Why?

If they stay up, they have a stupendous pool of players to pick from, many of whom are young, outstanding up and comers who will arrive with no fanfare for less than Maguire.

There's no merit in picking up Maguire for them now. He isn't a statement signing, so what is the point of them going for him in an open market?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
While he remains a key member of the England XI we will stand a chance of shopping him. Once that is over, we’re done.

Son

He’s a liability for us due to his style of play and weaknesses we play to. For a club like Inter or Juve he’d be one of their best players.

Any slower paced league or counter attacking side possibly in a back 3 he’s pure quality when he gets back in form. Not right for United but then neither is Ronaldo in this new style let’s face it. He’s struggling also with the pace of the game.

People need to stop thinking our players are poor it’s the changing style of play and some players just don’t fit sadly.

In the Euros he was as good as anyone with the slower pace. On the ball he’s the best defender we have had in years too. Definitely one of the better players we have had in the past 10 years up until this season when he was used right.

Stacks

A complete amateur like myself with no football transfer experience or scouting just used my eyes and knew he wasn't worth £80M. I was vehemently against us signing him because I didn't think he had the mentality, never mind he wasn't that great of a player. How the feck did professionals miss his non-qualities and pay all this money?
I am fecked off with him. Seeing him as captain is depressing. I would sell him to anyone and suck up the financial loss. Just get rid of him.
I was shocked at the £65 million initial quote :eek:

padzilla

Hipster
He can't have long left on his contract - let it run down a bit and join Newcastle.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He can't have long left on his contract - let it run down a bit and join Newcastle.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we did a Pogba with him - 6 years (and maybe an option for one more). So he's got half of his contract left after this summer.

Talk about deadweight, this guy is the definition of it.

padzilla

Hipster
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we did a Pogba with him - 6 years (and maybe an option for one more). So he's got half of his contract left after this summer.

Jesus wept

red4ever 79

It just sums our club up right .I mean you couldnt make this shit up. Harry Maguire on a 6 year deal.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

My god. Woodward/OGS’s decisions were borderline criminal. The massive fee AND a 6 year contract for a player with obvious flaws. AWB in the same summer. That was where they were blanket-briefing on having “got recruitment right”.

Wilt

Why?

If they stay up, they have a stupendous pool of players to pick from, many of whom are young, outstanding up and comers who will arrive with no fanfare for less than Maguire.

There's no merit in picking up Maguire for them now. He isn't a statement signing, so what is the point of them going for him in an open market?
Think you’re overestimating Newcastle’s appeal.

Logistically they’re probably the worst situated club in the Prem. They’ve struggled to find a manager, ending up with a guy sacked by Bournemouth who has since received very little/no interest from any other clubs. They currently have nothing more to offer other than money and not many players are willing to play the waiting game for success.

Maguire, still being the worlds most expensive defender would definitely be regarded as a significant signing for Newcastle.

Alemar

What’s the problem with selling Maguire? Definitely needs to go ASAP

Rightnr

What’s the problem with selling Maguire? Definitely needs to go ASAP
Massive wages, connected to club hierarchy, not worth half the fee we signed him for and finally it would be a massive egg on the face of the dumbos on the board that approved the buy in the first place.

Pintu

Everton and Newcastle are our only potential saviours here
He is no upgrade on Everton's Keane or Godfrey. And they are not gonna be offering salaries like his.

N'castle seems to have more ambitions. They were out for younger European talent like Botman.

The potential saviour is whatever club that appoints Olé.

kthanksbye

Feel so weird saying this because Lindelof is the player I rate the least in our squad, or so I thought, can't wait for him to come back and start alongside Varane.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Other players are to blame for Maguire being bad match after match. Got you.
When Maguire was out in the month of January was our defence better or worse? Answer honestly, not with your agenda. I will answer for you. We were worse. Much worse. In fact, our defence was so bad that De Gea had to make more saves than any keeper in the league and ended up getting player of the month. In fact, the only game where De Gea didn't have to save us was against West Ham where he only had to make one save. That also happened to be the only game Maguire played 90 minutes in January. But amazingly, because most people here have an agenda against Maguire, they said Lindelof was going better. All lies...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Varane can do wrong and made a terrible brain fart only a few games ago, I still don't get what you expect him to have been able to do in that situation for Burnley's goal though? McT I already agreed with you on and, yes, of course football is a team game and it's rare a goal is solely on a single player but Maguire isn't getting scapegoated, he's been consistently bad for a while now and that kind of performance, getting a goal disallowed (more clumsy than being stupid), getting turned and left in no mans land for their goal and also being lucky to escape a red for the last man pull back is just becoming the norm. Bad judgement in important situations.
99% of people probably thought the goal being disallowed was complete BS but because it was Maguire, it just added fuel to their agenda fire

Alemar

Massive wages, connected to club hierarchy, not worth half the fee we signed him for and finally it would be a massive egg on the face of the dumbos on the board that approved the buy in the first place.
I didn’t say he costs half the fee we paid. Of course not, but he costs at least 30% for sure. So sell for this price and move on

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There is a few examples there where he commits too early. Probably because he knows he’ll get done for pace so he has no choice. Some instances - in my opinion - he should jokey the player.

Rightnr

I didn’t say he costs half the fee we paid. Of course not, but he costs at least 30% for sure. So sell for this price and move on
Unless you find someone to cover the same wage demands for the remainder of his contract, he won't agree or we'll have to further lower the fee.

The way I see it, he's on something like 200k/week and he's barely worth half that. That's 5.2mn a year another club won't pay. If his fair value is 40mn and you take off the 15mn for the salary, we'd have to sell for 1/3 of his purchase price.

He's also pushing 30, so it's unlikely that people will give him longer than a 4-year deal to compensate for the lower potential earnings of the next 3 years.

I would sell tomorrow even with that calculation but the club won't, so he's basically staying.

Redlyn

When Maguire was out in the month of January was our defence better or worse? Answer honestly, not with your agenda. I will answer for you. We were worse. Much worse. In fact, our defence was so bad that De Gea had to make more saves than any keeper in the league and ended up getting player of the month. In fact, the only game where De Gea didn't have to save us was against West Ham where he only had to make one save. That also happened to be the only game Maguire played 90 minutes in January. But amazingly, because most people here have an agenda against Maguire, they said Lindelof was going better. All lies...
Non of this is relevant. We could have the worse defense in the whole of Europe without Maguire it will still not absolve his own poor performances when he's present. It would just mean we have other issues as well, which we obviously have. Bottom line is Maguire performances have not been good enough. If you can't see that, then that's a you problem.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Be impossible to sell him, nobody will want him and if they did we’d have to make a massive loss because no one’s going to pay more then we did for him. We’d be lucky if we get offered a tenner and a packet of Haribos for him

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Think you’re overestimating Newcastle’s appeal.

Logistically they’re probably the worst situated club in the Prem. They’ve struggled to find a manager, ending up with a guy sacked by Bournemouth who has since received very little/no interest from any other clubs. They currently have nothing more to offer other than money and not many players are willing to play the waiting game for success.

Maguire, still being the worlds most expensive defender would definitely be regarded as a significant signing for Newcastle.
Newcastle are the richest club on earth so many times over that all the rest of football combined can’t match their wealth. Players are already talking about projects and such in relation to them, and everyone knows they are about to sky rocket up the league if they aren’t relegated. Not only will they offer astronomical wages, the potential for that figure to increase is exponential. They will entice the world’s best youngsters there with ease if that’s the route they go down. They will also have their pick of players not at top CL clubs yet and there are many jewels to pluck from that crop who aren’t far off the opportunity to select their preferred choice from a host of top clubs, I don’t see where a player on the downturn fits into this - what is it they’re supposed to get from Maguire they won’t be able to get from highly coveted prospects the world over? You mention Maguire’s label, but it’s not a prestigious one. ‘We’ve signed the £80m defender nobody thought was worth that.’ I don’t understand what spotlight they would bask in for doing so. There’s far greater statements to be made in snapping up coveted players from clubs who will eventually be usurped by them both as statement of intent as well a show of their fledgling strength in the market.

I don’t see the angle for Maguire to be a desirable target for a club players will be falling over themselves to join - can’t see them being our saviour in regard of talking the player off our hands.

justsomebloke

We're not going to sell Harry Maguire. And a lot of people seem to have forgotten how good he was most of last season, and during the Euros.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
On a individual level, Harry Maguire cost Ole the job. So many goals against can be directly attributed to him.

The play this season has been outright shocking. He is nowhere near the player he was the past two seasons. The difference is so enormous its hard to look at exactly what the problem he, but he is just giving the ball away, misstiming passes, cancels offisides and overcommits challenges where he gets beaten.

Previous seasons he rated between very good to ok. This season his average contribution has been poor to shocking. Has he had one single good game of football this season? He needs to be dropped before the club goes further into the quagmire.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Non of this is relevant. We could have the worse defense in the whole of Europe without Maguire it will still not absolve his own poor performances when he's present. It would just mean we have other issues as well, which we obviously have. Bottom line is Maguire performances have not been good enough. If you can't see that, then that's a you problem.
So we had good performances without him? Give your head a shake. the entire team has been crap, especially the attack and you lot want to blame Maguire. And why? Because he cost a lot and you don't want him to be captain.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Newcastle are the richest club on earth so many times over that all the rest of football combined can’t match their wealth. Players are already talking about projects and such in relation to them, and everyone knows they are about to sky rocket up the league if they aren’t relegated. Not only will they offer astronomical wages, the potential for that figure to increase is exponential. They will entice the world’s best youngsters there with ease if that’s the route they go down. They will also have their pick of players not at top CL clubs yet and there are many jewels to pluck from that crop who aren’t far off the opportunity to select their preferred choice from a host of top clubs, I don’t see where a player on the downturn fits into this - what is it they’re supposed to get from Maguire they won’t be able to get from highly coveted prospects the world over? You mention Maguire’s label, but it’s not a prestigious one. ‘We’ve signed the £80m defender nobody thought was worth that.’ I don’t understand what spotlight they would bask in for doing so. There’s far greater statements to be made in snapping up coveted players from clubs who will eventually be usurped by them both as statement of intent as well a show of their fledgling strength in the market.

I don’t see the angle for Maguire to be a desirable target for a club players will be falling over themselves to join - can’t see them being our saviour in regard of talking the player off our hands.
Agreed - it makes perfect sense that they were pushing hard for Sven Botman this past window, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.