How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tap

Maguire and him being made captain is a symbol of Ole’s failed regime.

Somewhat similar to Fellaini except that Fellaini is not that ridiculously priced, has contributed more to the club and is more likeable.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Hopefully we can flog him to Newcastle.

Him and Wan Bisaka, what a waste of money that was.

kopviolator

He has the aura of a beaten dog. How he is supposed to inspire the rest of the team is beyound me.
I've had several but he is now my least favorite player. A hopless lump.

Oh, and how do we sell him? On the cheap, like every broken player we sell.

dinostar77

He needs to lose the captaincy and it depends on who the permanent manager is. We cant play a high pressing game with maguire. He is only effective in a low block. We should never have bought him. His lack of pace and recovery pace really hampers his game. Unfortunately he doesnt have the positional sense to make up for his lack of pace.

We need our DoF to butter up newcastle to buy him off us.

Crick

It's simple. Find a left footed CB whose better than Maguire, good in the air with pace who can play through the pain to play at least 50 matches per year. If Harry doesn't play he will want to leave himself. He wants to play in every game and is very rarely injured. If you find someone with a similar attitude but a better player Harry will go. He will only stay if he plays. It's the type of player he is.

The biggest issue is that he is our fittest / can cope with pain to play CB, so he plays. Varane, Lindelof, Bailly and Jones are always injured so Maguire plays. It doesn't matter how he plays. For most managers he always says he wants to play every match so he plays. If you want rid you need someone whose the same.

Say what you want about Harry's quality, he is always available and has missed very few games since he's been here. I'm not defending him or his quality, there are much better CB's out there however I am sick of how many games our other CB's miss.

tomaldinho1

SO I'm guessing you are suggesting Lindelof is a better partner for Verane? You do realize that De Gea was just voted EPL player of the month? SOmething no keeper has done for quite a while. And during the month of January when De Gea had to bail us out on several occassions, guess who wasn't playing? Maguire. In fact, the only game that he played 90 minutes in was the only game De Gea had nothing to do (West Ham). but go on...tell me again how Lindelof is better...
I firmly believe Lindelof is a better partner for Varane, yes. DDG winning the award is because as a team we were really poor in the first few games, that's not down to a single player being in or out of a team. If you couldn't see that from watching our games I honestly don't know what to say unless, as you are saying, we play well when Maguire starts and poorly when Lindelof starts as a rule?

Tap

Hopefully the club can do a lukaku or de maria sale to ship him out without too big a loss.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I firmly believe Lindelof is a better partner for Varane, yes. DDG winning the award is because as a team we were really poor in the first few games, that's not down to a single player being in or out of a team. If you couldn't see that from watching our games I honestly don't know what to say unless, as you are saying, we play well when Maguire starts and poorly when Lindelof starts as a rule?
I'm saying when we can only score 1 goal how is it that we blame our defence for anything

tomaldinho1

I'm saying when we can only score 1 goal how is it that we blame our defence for anything
That's a separate issue, there are many in this United team! The front three's problem is there never seems to be more than 1 consistently on form, Cavani was atrocious, Rashford was good in spurts, Sancho was really good - even with that we still had enough chances and had two goals disallowed.

Maguire's curse is that he's horribly slow and immobile and yet he doesn't play in a manner that would suit him. For their goal yesterday, I have no issues with him getting done by the turn (it happens to every defender occasionally) but, ignoring his shite positioning allowing the striker to drop off into space, why doesn't he just do what 99% of other CBs do and grab the player/obstruct him? He might get a yellow but that's part of football.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That's a separate issue, there are many in this United team! The front three's problem is there never seems to be more than 1 consistently on form, Cavani was atrocious, Rashford was good in spurts, Sancho was really good - even with that we still had enough chances and had two goals disallowed.

Maguire's curse is that he's horribly slow and immobile and yet he doesn't play in a manner that would suit him. For their goal yesterday, I have no issues with him getting done by the turn (it happens to every defender occasionally) but, ignoring his shite positioning allowing the striker to drop off into space, why doesn't he just do what 99% of other CBs do and grab the player/obstruct him? He might get a yellow but that's part of football.
Perhaps he could have had McTominay not run into him

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
...did you watch the games this season?

Our attack will be alright. The quality is there, just not the finishing in the past two games. Over the season, minor issue. Major issue is clearly in defence and centre midfield.

tomaldinho1

Perhaps he could have had McTominay not run into him
How does that make any difference with what happened? Same criticism for McT who can actually see Rodriguez (and that was literally the only ball Burnley could have played) when he's trying to tackle Werghorst, just grab a bit of his shirt or make a soft tackle to stop play.

Revan

Assumptionman
Offer to Newcastle for 30-40m and pray to God that they'll fall for that.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
...did you watch the games this season?

Our attack will be alright. The quality is there, just not the finishing in the past two games. Over the season, minor issue. Major issue is clearly in defence and centre midfield.
We are allowing no more than one goal a game since Ralf took over (other than Villa). We have only scored more than 1 goal twice (Villa and Burnley). But go on...tell me our attack has been fine

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
How does that make any difference with what happened? Same criticism for McT who can actually see Rodriguez (and that was literally the only ball Burnley could have played) when he's trying to tackle Werghorst, just grab a bit of his shirt or make a soft tackle to stop play.
And again, perhaps he would have had McTominay not ran into him. McTominay shouldn't have come in for the challenge. He should have got goal side of Maguire once he sees Maguire going in on Werghorst. And how does Verane get off scott free? Rodriguez is his man and he doesn't even look at him?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
We are allowing no more than one goal a game since Ralf took over (other than Villa). We have only scored more than 1 goal twice (Villa and Burnley). But go on...tell me our attack has been fine
:lol: :lol:

Jesus Christ, this forum sometimes.

saivet

There's no real need to sell him to be honest. He's a decent squad option and he's fit all of the time, so no issue in him being 3rd choice centre back. If we get a good offer that's another story but I don't think we need to be proactively getting rid of him.

tomaldinho1

And again, perhaps he would have had McTominay not ran into him. McTominay shouldn't have come in for the challenge. He should have got goal side of Maguire once he sees Maguire going in on Werghorst. And how does Verane get off scott free? Rodriguez is his man and he doesn't even look at him?
If you genuinely think Maguire would have been able to make a recovery tackle had McT not been there, you need to watch a lot more football. It's also counter intuitive because his momentum is going in the opposite direction to our goal so McT helps him if anything.

Strange to question Varane, either he go to the ball after Maguire has been turned or track Rodriguez which would allow Werghorst a free run for a central one on one with DDG...there's not a huge amount he can do there other than maybe get lucky and intercept the pass through.

GlasgowCeltic

SO I'm guessing you are suggesting Lindelof is a better partner for Verane? You do realize that De Gea was just voted EPL player of the month? SOmething no keeper has done for quite a while. And during the month of January when De Gea had to bail us out on several occassions, guess who wasn't playing? Maguire. In fact, the only game that he played 90 minutes in was the only game De Gea had nothing to do (West Ham). but go on...tell me again how Lindelof is better...

Verane?

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's not nearly as bad as people make out in this thread, but he's not the player he was 12 months ago for reasons I don't know. That said, he's been solid as a rock alongside Varane since Rangnick took over. He was solid last night too, right up until he got turned inside out by Rodriguez which led to the equalizer. Hardly the shock of the century that's being made out in this knee-jerk thread.

But if we're being completely honest with ourselves, the likes of Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly will never be anything more than the average run of the mill CB's. That's enough for most clubs, but United need more if we ever hope to close the ever-widening gap on City. God, that seems so far away right now.

Anyhow, sell Lindelof and Bailly, keep Maguire as a squad if he'll settle for that, and go on the hunt for a CB of Varane's quality. We've got the funds to do exactly that, so what's stopping us?

Cloud7

Hopefully the club can do a lukaku or de maria sale to ship him out without too big a loss.
The issue with this is that Di Maria and Lukaku were worth what we paid for them (at least on paper in terms of Lukaku) whereas Maguire had no credentials to be worth what we paid for him, so we’re guaranteed to take a substantial loss.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If you genuinely think Maguire would have been able to make a recovery tackle had McT not been there, you need to watch a lot more football. It's also counter intuitive because his momentum is going in the opposite direction to our goal so McT helps him if anything.

Strange to question Varane, either he go to the ball after Maguire has been turned or track Rodriguez which would allow Werghorst a free run for a central one on one with DDG...there's not a huge amount he can do there other than maybe get lucky and intercept the pass through.
And the whole thing starts with McTominay running into Maguiire. Perhaps Maguire doesn't get the proper tackle in without McT running into him, but if McT runs goal side of Maguire like he should have, the entire situation is avoided. Possibly. Still can't ignore the fact that Verane doesn't look at the goal scorer once during the play. Watch again if you don't believe me...

Streamja - Simple video sharing

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He bought newcastle rather than spurs or utd. Says it all...
Saudis buying Spurs doesn't sound like the best idea.

Us? Probably expects us to be a lot cheaper in 5 years or so, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Josh 76

I believe under a different manager he has a chance to thrive, but it will be interesting to re read the reaction of united fan before we signed him. I remember some voicing concerns about the signing then. Some of those concerns we are seeing, but I don't believe he is a terrible player. As such, I don't think we should sell and try to get the best out of him from a different manager
Oles counter attacking style suited him. He always had players around him and that protected his weaknesses. Now Rangnick wants to play like a top team should, his flaws are so obvious to see.

Maguire looked good for England and Leicester because they played that way. If Utd want to move up to the level of the top 3, this handicap needs to be removed asap!

Nah, he would start and look absolutely world class for Burnley. Sit in his own box for 90 minutes and head everything away - that's a job Harry Maguire was born to do.

Maybe he just needs for us to set up like a Sean Dyche team :nervous:
This. He would be brilliant for a lower league team. He’s a great defender but he’s not top quality so is unfortunately badly exposed playing for us. Just doesn’t have the athleticism and technique to be an all round quality defender.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's not nearly as bad as people make out in this thread, but he's not the player he was 12 months ago for reasons I don't know. That said, he's been solid as a rock alongside Varane since Rangnick took over. He was solid last night too, right up until he got turned inside out by Rodriguez which led to the equalizer. Hardly the shock of the century that's being made out in this knee-jerk thread.

But if we're being completely honest with ourselves, the likes of Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly will never be anything more than the average run of the mill CB's. That's enough for most clubs, but United need more if we ever hope to close the ever-widening gap on City. God, that seems so far away right now.

Anyhow, sell Lindelof and Bailly, keep Maguire as a squad if he'll settle for that, and go on the hunt for a CB of Varane's quality. We've got the funds to do exactly that, so what's stopping us?
I'm wondering if it's the Euro's? Shaw is different. Rashford is. Maguire is. I'm sure other English players haven't been that great this season either.

Also Maguire with De Gea behind him stuck on his line and arguably no CDM in front of him is asking for trouble imo.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I have no idea what happened in the 2nd half after a really solid 1st half. I actually think he's been decent recently after a truly horrendous start to the season but that 2nd half was back to the old liability Maguire of the start of the season.

The hysteria on here (and on other social media platforms) is mental - you'd think he's played like he has this season for his entire time at United. I agree he shouldn't be guaranteed to play every game because he's captain but to suggest he's not good enough for this level is ridiculous. 2nd half of last season he was the best in the league and our season fell apart when he got injured. Then made the team of the Euros despite missing the entire group stage - guy was immense! Short memories

Mr. Ant

We can't keep both AWB and Dalot and look for another RB option, i'd keep Dalot ahead of AWB, Dalot has more upside and we can still get some money back for AWB.
Well I'm not sure if we can sell AWB though. The wages are too high and more and more teams want attacking full backs in the prem. If we can somehow sell him and bring back Laird that would be hopefully enough for next season.

Redlyn

Am I wrong? Or are you looking for us to win every game 1-0?
Are you saying Maguire's performance is perfectly OK and not an issue for us? Because that's is what is relevant in this particular thread.
The attack recent wastefulness is another issue, for another topic.

lex talionis

Harry has been poor for most of this season, and he was clearly at fault for the lone Burnley goal, but in truth we should be scoring more than one goal against Burnley. True, we did score two goals that were wrongly disallowed but even so we needed to better in attack.

As for the next game, I hope Ralf goes with Lindelof. Poor play must have its consequences if we are to move forward as a squad.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm wondering if it's the Euro's? Shaw is different. Rashford is. Maguire is. I'm sure other English players haven't been that great this season either.

Also Maguire with De Gea behind him stuck on his line and arguably no CDM in front of him is asking for trouble imo.
A Euros hangover? Possibly, but that was like 9 months ago. Get over it lads :p

While we're on the subject of CB options, what about Jones? He played his game in years last month and picked up a MotM performance for his efforts, then faded back into obscurity like he never existed in the first place. Odd to say the least.

Mr. Ant

I have no idea what happened in the 2nd half after a really solid 1st half. I actually think he's been decent recently after a truly horrendous start to the season but that 2nd half was back to the old liability Maguire of the start of the season.

The hysteria on here (and on other social media platforms) is mental - you'd think he's played like he has this season for his entire time at United. I agree he shouldn't be guaranteed to play every game because he's captain but to suggest he's not good enough for this level is ridiculous. 2nd half of last season he was the best in the league and our season fell apart when he got injured. Then made the team of the Euros despite missing the entire group stage - guy was immense! Short memories
Last season around January is when our problems started to emerge once again. Before that he was good, not great but he did what was asked of him.

Nobody says Maguire is horrible but he isn't suited to more attacking style of play. After the injury he seems to have lost his last bit of pace he had in him.

Also don't compare England to club football. Southgate is very pragmatic coach. Didn't he play with 3 defenders at the back and two defending midfielders in from of them? With that amount of cover Maguire is excellent because he has more time on ball and if he makes a mistake like he did yesterday there are still many players behind him.

Hopefully he can find some form again but it really looks like his time as a starting defender and captain are coming to an end at United. I don't hate the guy but he's just collapsing under the pressure and is that what we want to see from our captain?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Harry has been poor for most of this season, and he was clearly at fault for the lone Burnley goal, but in truth we should be scoring more than one goal against Burnley. True, we did score two goals that were wrongly disallowed but even so we needed to better in attack.

As for the next game, I hope Ralf goes with Lindelof. Poor play must have its consequences if we are to move forward as a squad.
Lindelof is equally as error-prone as Maguire, Bailly even more so.

Frustrates me to no end that we're having alternate between 3 bang-average CB's, none of which will ever be good enough for a title-challenging side. It shouldn't be the case for a club with United's resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.