How do you feel about United fans who boo during games?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You are mixing booing and racial abuse? No reports of racial abuse at the game as far as I am aware. Fans are entitled to have an opinion and are entitled to show it by booing, waving white flags, protests, planes and banners. As long as it does not cross the line in terms of legality.
There's a clip of the racial abuse on the previous page.

ColvaleGoa

Think Young is going to get it at Old Trafford too. Not Young's fault ,but it's United's fault for not shipping him out and accepting mediocrity.

Mick1

I'm fine with a player being booed. Kind of embarrassing for the club but it s understandable. Manchester united is international now, and we have fans from all over the world, not all of them will have what some might call " respect for the shirt".

When the fans are not pleased with a player/ manager/ board, they are allowed to voice their opinion. These people are mega rich because of the same fans. I'm sure young wouldn't trade his multi million dollar contract for a bit less boos. Footballers have thick skins.

As for the n word being screamed out loud, it s completely unacceptable, but at the same time a little bit less criminal in non English speaking countries, because some people are just ignorant.

The street word for an African American in most Middle Eastern countries translates to "slave". No malice is meant, but it's complete ignorance. There are no (very few) black people in the area, and even local liberals use the expression. They are not familiar enough with black culture to even recognize their own ignorance.

Idk if it s the same in Singapore, id think not with the high literacy and western values so I cannot comment on this instance

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Embarrassing, as are some of the posts in here. Will never understand it, let alone defend it.

Some Singaporeans not showing themselves in a good light either....

Web of Bissaka

:annoyed: Okay, let's not make lazy generalizations here.

Like always, not everyone with shared race/ethnicity do the same thing.

So really, what's with all the accusing all "Singaporeans" or "Asians" do this or that or being some racist community. Geez. Just because few people does it, doesn't mean everyone that share that people's ethnicity does it.

And how about not making simple conclusion that only Singaporeans went to the stadium. I know the match is in Singapore. This is the era of fast travelling, people from nearby countries or even far I'm sure attend it, and who knows maybe they're the one that made that racist remark + boos.

I also don't get the quick conclusion-making "this is done by young people". Yeah older people are wise and doesn't boo nor making racist remarks eh.

Anyway, don't agree with fans booing players entirely, understandable if it's "reasonable" done to convey their feelings without being overboard like throw offensive insults. The least those fans who decide to boo should do is not being racist or using other offensive insults, just boo and done that's enough.

::sonny::

Agree with the boo

But not on Young, a good professional and still a useful player

I would boo Lingard and Martial, surely not Youngy

Hawks2008

I think if you pay for your ticket you have the right to voice your opinion. There is a line though, 0 tolerance for discriminatory or abusive behaviour.

Dante

Average bang
I think if you pay for your ticket you have the right to voice your opinion. There is a line though, 0 tolerance for discriminatory or abusive behaviour.
I would be a shit referee if I were in charge of a United match. Because I'd be biased in favour of every United player.

As a fan(atic), that includes Young. Or else, I'd might as well be a fecking scouser.

JK-27

If we're really going to boo players who we don't want in the team then we're going to be booing all game, every game for the entire season at this stage.

And to think some people said Jose was the negative one.

Nah. Mancunians won't. Matchgoers have a bit more class.
Exactly. There is a clear delineation between match going supporters and internet ‘fans’. I’ve no idea the last time Utd playerd in Singapore - but for these fans to boo a player like Young who has been nothing but respectful to the club is pathetic. Just enjoy the game you fcuk tards, Utd won’t play there again for years. Idiots.

I hate the phrase ‘loyal servant’, and that’s something that may have applied 20/30 years ago for some players, doesn’t apply to ANYONE in this day and age due to the money players get - so that’s not what Young is - but he’s been a solid player, who always puts in maximum effort (and you can say that’s a minimum requirement, but clearly the same cannot be said of Martial, Pogba or Sanchez at times and many other players over the past couple of years).

Young is a valuable player to have in the squad who can play multiple positions - but he was overplayed last season, and he shouldn’t be starting every game, we all know this and it’s been addressed by signing AWB. But we will need him to play some games and RB and LB next season.

meamth

@Tom Van Persie, with regards to the twitter video... actually the way he said it, he meant it as a good thing. Like how blacks call each other niggers.

I've personally heard that tone way too many times as a Singaporean. There's no malice in it.
Doesn't matter the context, you can't expect other countries to understand your N word culture.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
They paid their money, they are free to express their opinion.

I wouldnt do it personally as Im not sure how it helps the team on the day. I feel getting behind the team would be a better psychological boost for the players on the pitch.

Jironasaurus

Doesn't matter the context, you can't expect other countries to understand your N word culture.
That's why I'm explaining it. People in here are saying it's racial abuse. It's not. The guy who shouted it meant it in the "Ashley Young, my homeboy!" context.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
That's why I'm explaining it. People in here are saying it's racial abuse. It's not. The guy who shouted it meant it in the "Ashley Young, my homeboy!" context.
So while the rest of the crowd is booing, this particular fan is going against the negative general mood by supporting Young with a racial insult?

Jironasaurus

So while the rest of the crowd is booing, this particular fan is going against the negative general mood by supporting Young with a racial insult?
It's not a racial insult. The intent was not there. Could the choice of words have been better? Sure.

There are people on here who support Ashley Young, despite so many saying he's not good enough. It's not strange to find more than 1 supporter in that stadium of almost 60,000.

K13

I honestly do not think paying for something allows you free reign to do what you want. You can buy a fast car or a firework but you have to take responsibility for how you use them. Individuals should take responsibility for what they say and do. It actually shows a lack of respect for themselves, an insecurity that they feel the need to tell someone how awful they believe another person is. I feel sorry for them. If they were my kids I would be ashamed.

I don't know why Young has become such a target. He was a starting left back in our England team that got all the way to the semis last season. It was clear last season he needed a break because of it but never got one because of Valencia's injury and then Shaw's 2 suspension's for yellow card accumulation. He is clearly highly respected in the squad and seen as a very important leader to the group as a whole.

This is a man who has been trusted by Sir Alex, Moyes, LVG, Jose and now Ole to be part of our squad. He has never shirked a challenge and on Saturday his wonderful delivery forced the GK to place the ball in a dangerous position which Greenwood finished off very nicely. If individuals feel they can boo that then good luck to them, they will have a very miserable & negative life.

tony54

I personally don't like booing, was brought up to believe in respect for others. But, sometimes writing about dissatisfactions about the team or management falls on deaf ears so then other more forceful actions are required such as booing.
I thing the booing yesterday was directed against Young who some consider is past his best and his final cross is really bad. It's not his fault that he is picked to play and he has always played hard for the team so I find the booing yesterday hard to justify and very disrespectful.
It reflects badly on some of our fans but they have had to put up with shocking football these last 7 years.

Bestofthebest

I don't think that many fans boo the individual usually. In this case Young has become the unacceptable face of United i.e. demonstrating the lack of investment by the club in defence by allowing him and Valencia to become the clubs only choices. One less now Valencia has gone. Now we have Wan Bissaka hopefully Young will become a less frequent member of the team. I accept the booing if this is the case but feel sorry for Young for being the focus, hope the directors responsible for the situation realise they are the aim of the discontent, although not holding my breath. Young has always given his best whenever he has played and is a model professional off the field, unlike some others in the squad. It's not his fault he is past it.

As for booing in general I accept it is the fans only legitimate means of demonstrating their feelings, just as cheering does when things are going well. I've watched Utd for years now and cannot remember such individualised abuse of a player ( if that's really what it is ) but I have seen the team jeered on many occasions.

Jonty

Young may be done in a lot of supporters eyes he has been a useful squad member and in no way deserves to be booed. Any angst should directed to the Board.

jackal&hyde

Ole was spot on in pointing out that there are a few people calling themselves United fans that are an embarrassment to themselves and the club. Criticism is one thing, but racial abuse and all the nonsense we can hear and read at times is disgraceful.

Tiber

I think it's fine to boo the team when they deserve it.

Have never agreed with the idea that Old Trafford should always have shown public support for Mourinho - feck that.

JMack1234

It's fine booing the team when they've not shown up or whatever.

Singling out a individual player on your own team and booing his every touch is disgraceful and is what happens when you get the melts from football twitter actually showing up to a game.

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
No no no, you don’t ever boo your own players. People on here that think it’s ok to so need to give their head a wobble! :nono:

Oh and Young won’t be getting any booing at OT!

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
But you expect all countries to understand the N-Word culture coming from english based countries. Such nice of you.

Did you know that your n-word comes from "negro" and that this last word ,for example in portugal, it's the fair one to use? I just imagine how offended most people have been in Portugal from hearing this word.

It's also funny how people get really offended with racism and then jump to blame all singaporeans in the world because of one person in one video. hahaha. that's not even close to racist. hahaha

RedPhil1957

I have watched and supported United for 63 years our away support is still second to none but like most clubs our home crowds are not like they were in the past for a number of reasons. However the biggest change of all has come with the advent of the social media 'fan' which allows the worst of them the same voice/influence as the best. In the past they would have just made the same noise in the pub with only their mate listening.

Skills

Snitch
Thankfully none of them will be anywhere near Old Trafford, and on the off-chance they will be they'll spend 15 minutes of the game trying to sit in someone else's seat and then sit in silence whilst eating a share bag of Munchies.
As we saw last season, our home fans are just as bad.

Acole9

Outstanding
Don't need the type of 'Fans' that were at the match yesterday. Hopefully the club will make a stand and not go back to Singapore again, that lot can do one and go support Chelsea.

Kopral Jono

Correct. That said, what happened yesterday was totally uncalled for since booing your own team should only be reserved for exceptional cases. I'm a strong believer that turning one's back on one's own side, when done correctly, could serve as a needed kick in the backside.

ColvaleGoa

Nah. Mancunians won't. Matchgoers have a bit more class.
We shall see. Not the away fans but at OT we will see the boos. Not ideal but it will happen and it will catch on from this pre season malarkey. One bad result and we will see Young the scapegoat.

Dante

Average bang
We shall see. Not the away fans but at OT we will see the boos. Not ideal but it will happen and it will catch on from this pre season malarkey. One bad result and we will see Young the scapegoat.
What will they boo him for?

He tries his best, but isn't world class. That's not his fault.

Boos are reserved for people who have the privilege of playing in the shirt but who don't show the effort that that privilege warrants.

ColvaleGoa

What will they boo him for?

He tries his best, but isn't world class. That's not his fault.

Boos are reserved for people who have the privilege of playing in the shirt but who don't show the effort that that privilege warrants.
I agree with you. I am just saying when things don't go our way we will need someone to blame and that person most likely will be Young. Regardless of how hard he has tried.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Whatever you think of Young that was an embarrassing and unedifying spectacle yesterday. It's taken far too long for us to phase him out but that's happening now with AWB in at right back, booing him now achieves nothing and obviously the racial abuse is a disgrace.

cyril C

Exactly. There is a clear delineation between match going supporters and internet ‘fans’. I’ve no idea the last time Utd playerd in Singapore - but for these fans to boo a player like Young who has been nothing but respectful to the club is pathetic. Just enjoy the game you fcuk tards, Utd won’t play there again for years. Idiots.

I hate the phrase ‘loyal servant’, and that’s something that may have applied 20/30 years ago for some players, doesn’t apply to ANYONE in this day and age due to the money players get - so that’s not what Young is - but he’s been a solid player, who always puts in maximum effort (and you can say that’s a minimum requirement, but clearly the same cannot be said of Martial, Pogba or Sanchez at times and many other players over the past couple of years).

Young is a valuable player to have in the squad who can play multiple positions - but he was overplayed last season, and he shouldn’t be starting every game, we all know this and it’s been addressed by signing AWB. But we will need him to play some games and RB and LB next season.
In that sense Young was the most underrated player. We signed Shaw and Young was his backup, and performed, for 2-3 seasons, when the supposedly LB Blind or Rojo couldn't deliver. We signed Darmian then Dalot as RB, using Valencia as backup, but Young end up playing as RB because none deliver. So Young was in fact a saviour not the problem, problem was with all those mentioned players, and why we recruited them.