How do you feel about United fans who boo during games?

Parma Dewol

As we're all aware, there has been clear vocal dissent from United fans at recent games. This isn't a new phenomenon - even Sir Alex had to deal with his fair share of boos - and let's face it, boos will always be heard at football games when things aren't going right.

How much of an influence the boos have on the players, the manager or the board is anyone's guess, but one thing's for certain: the boos do have an impact on fellow supporters.

Inside Old Trafford it occasionally feels as though trouble will flare up among United fans for the simple reason that some will show their displeasure by dishing out boos, and others won't like it. At the Southampton game, a couple of lads were debating the issue so fiercely that they barely watched the match and it became disruptive for others around them (not that much was happening on the field, mind).

There are clear arguments from both sides of the fence. Those who have paid their money state that the cost is considerable and they should be free to voice their opinion. Others state that booing will not help morale and that true supporters stick with the team through thick and thin.

There was a fella at Southampton berating other fans for booing after 30 minutes of play. You could see where he was coming from - yeah we weren't playing great, but we weren't losing at that point either. But it did make me wonder, do we always know the reasons for the boos? It's likely to vary from one person to the next, and I doubt many were booing solely due to that 30 minutes of play. It was more likely to have been a culmination of many games, and it might not even be aimed at the players - the boos could be directed at the manager, or even the board.

Is it also worth cross-comparing football with other forms of entertainment? I was at a concert at a large venue a few years back and the sound was so bass-heavy that it was uncomfortable for a lot of the audience. After about 20 minutes people started booing loudly, and 10 minutes later the sound was fixed. That's hardly a like-for-like comparison, but in that instance the booing helped.

I personally don't boo, however I can understand why others do and I have to be honest, I am wondering if I should have done at the Southampton game. It would be interesting to hear some other opinions.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
During the game we should be behind the team and encourage them until the last minute, but i don't see anything wrong with showing our dismay at the full time whistle after all the sh!te that is being served up every week.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fans pay for their tickets and can do whatever they want as long as it's legal. If our players/management want respect than they should work for it

If you cheer mediocrity you will get mediocrity. Maybe there's a reason why countries with some of the meanest and critical fans tend to win more world cups and euros.

Maldini's Hair

They pay their money to go every week - they're entitled to voice their discontent with the rubbish they endure every single home game. Though it should be saved for Halftime - Fulltime rather than during the match in my opinion (which it generally is).

Steven Seagull

There's nothing to cheer when the ball is getting recycled around the middle 3rd of the pitch for 100 passes and then back to De Gea. The only time to get a bit excited is if Martial gets the ball and beats a player. It can also help to keep people warm on a cold winters afternoon.

fergieisold

I personally would feel really weird doing it so I don't, but I must admit hearing it at OT on Saturday did feel like a reasonable response from the crowd...we've been pushed far enough now and a change is needed!

bonsaiboy

It's a tough one to call. Saving the boos for after the game could be interpreted as a validation of the playing style but a condemnation of the result. Whereas booing during the game shows displeasure at the way the game is actively being played, but risks disrupting the players further.

Ultimately it should never get to the point where supporters who would normally be completely behind their team feel that the only way they can make their displeasure known is to boo during the game. The sentiment of the supporters should be clear, and the club should be reaching out to ensure that their concerns are being addressed so it doesn't get that far.

Satissh12

I would have said no anytime earlier. Thanks to Van Gaal I can justify it now :rolleyes:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At this point even the mindless drones at muto had ran out of excuses

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
honestly you can't hold it against them, I don't know how things are in England, but the ticket prices for matches don't seem to be cheap. They've been served up dross after dross for 2+ years now, they have a right to boo.

Trizy

Not their fault, they're paying for entertainment and they're getting none of it. A trip to Old Trafford for me would cost around €300 without any spending(drinking) money and since I only get to go over 1-2 times a year I would be livid to see the current shite that is on display.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'm not one of them myself...though I am happy to dish out if I'm unhappy. I can't boo at the end of games etc. I prefer what we all did at Palace. Chanting Attack for 5-10 minutes afterwards. That is a far stronger message in my mind.

That all being said I've no time for people who don't go to United regularly dishing out to fans who do, telling them how they should/shouldn't act. Please don't misunderstand me as saying folk that go are better than those who don't. I'm saying telling those who do how to behave isn't right, just as bad as those who go looking down on those that don't.

The amount of 'Look at me I'm the best fan ever' stuff is shite at times to be fair. On both sides of the match going/non match going support. I don't care about being 'classy' (whatever that is). Anyone who does baffles me a bit...unless it's related to death/disasters. In which case it's a different ballgame.

Everyone is free to react to wins/draws/losses/goals/great passing/awful passing/misses/mistakes etc in their own way. Whether in the Stretford End...on here, of Facebook/Twitter or whatever.

End of the day we all want the same things, whether in Manchester, London, Libya or whatever. As United supporters we are unconditional in our love the club (if not the personel) I don't really care if you have been to no games, one game or ten thousand and one games. The judgement of each other doesn't really work for me. I don't see reactions as spoiled...I see the reaction of people who give a feck about their club and how it's run. The ones that are spoiled are the ones who suddenly don't give a feck because we are losing and find another 'hobby'.

Maybe I'd feel different if it was like the 50's. A bunch of working class lads, turning up on their bikes, earning not much more than the supporters. Playing for the shirt and giving it their all in front of those who will follow them anywhere (in person or in spirit). However it's not. It's a group of monumentally well paid people, managed by extremely well paid staff (in terms of manager anyway)..driving around in cars that cost more than most fans fecking houses. Does it make a difference? Yes it does. We are the ones spending our hard earned watching it. Yes we could stop...but that's no what supporting a football team is all about.

I can understand the frustration when people feel the club is being horribly mismanaged. However the booing doesn't sit well with me, it never has and never will. Nor did the plane banner about Moyes...then again it's just my opinion.

Blodssvik

Our fans deserve a medal for being so patient. In other teams LvG would have been chased out with torches snd pitchforks a long time ago.

Imagine buying a season ticket and having to accumulate action from every home game the entire season to get what you would expect from one game. That is not even an exaggeration.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I prefer it to the standing ovation Moyes got.

pacifictheme

I wouldn't boo but i can understand those who do. A month or so ago i was sat with some season ticket holders who'd spent hundreds in the past week to see three games with no goals. Totally justified.

I think they have more of a right to boo than non match going fans have to judge them.

Dr Fink

I booed at half time and at full time, for the first time ever. Shouting "attack, attack, attack" has had little effect on this shower recently. It is so clear they are under instruction a and have had it drilled in to them to sideways or back. I'm a ST holder and have been for 8 years but I will struggle to go against Stoke. This current team are unwatchable, in my opinion of course. It really pains me to say it.

RK

Booing at the ground is understandable but selfish.

You pay the money and are entitled to voice your displeasure, but I'm also entitled to think you look like a bit of a cnut for doing so.

It's not constructive in any way, bar the person venting their own frustration.

Minimalist

I don't think booing is required or welcomed during the game itself.

Afterwards? I'm indifferent. Folks who choose to certainly shouldn't be labelled as 'bad supporters' because that's just nonsense.

I prefer apathy. I didn't want supporters to boo Moyes - I just wanted them to stop bloody cheering his shit reign after losing to rivals at home.

Swaters16

I'd like to be critical but considering how often I boo my team when I go to games and how often our fans boo the team, I don't have a leg to stand on. As long as individual players aren't being booed (unless for a really good reason) then it's fine. As a fan you have expectations, you devote time and money to the team and you're entitled to voice your opinion.

Smores

You should support your team through a blip in form, then it's ridiculous to boo.

However, It's perfectly reasonable to boo when the issues become chronic because of mismanagement.The fans aren't servants of the club. They'll do whatever they think is best.

londonredmaniac

You should support your team through a blip in form, then it's ridiculous to boo.

However, It's perfectly reasonable to boo when the issues become chronic because of mismanagement.The fans aren't servants of the club. They'll do whatever they think is best.
Aye, agree with that.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Fans have a right to boo, The supporters at Old Trafford have shown patience.

Also it would be very hypocritical to say that i have not booed at a sporting team for a lack of performance before

predator

Youth NITK
Completely justified imo. Not only are fans a vital part of the sport but free speech is also important. Politics aside though how else can fans get the message across?

ravi2

Good on them for making the message loud and clear.
Exactly, I am not one to endorse booing ones own team but it would be both hypocritical and enabling to keep applauding LVG and the shit he presents to us every week.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
I don't do it but I don't blame anyone who does at this point. When it gets to the point you feel like you're wasting your afternoon just being there it can be really frustrating.

londonredmaniac

I don't do it but I don't blame anyone who does at this point. When it gets to the point you feel like you're wasting your afternoon just being there it can be really frustrating.
I'm watching my team as a sense of duty right now, I enjoy absolutely none of it.

diarm

Should organise a full 90 minutes of chanting "Attack Attack Attack". Just that - 70k people chanting attack for an entire match. They couldn't ignore it.

stepic

booing at HT and FT is absolutely justified and necessary at the moment.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
You pay to watch a game of football, meant to be a form of entertainment. It doesn't entertain you, you have a right to be pissed off. Would be like buying a chocolate bar and it tasting like a brussel sprout, you'd probably complain about that, or at least never buy the same bar again.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
they can do anything they want (that is legal)

But as always my answer to disgruntled fans would be to stay away completely

A half empty league game at OT would send out a far louder messege

acrebo

I used to hate the growing booing culture that's been adopted into the English game but it does feel like a necessary evil nowadays, when so much is decided based on fan reaction. I'd agree that it should be kept to half time / full time though, a resonating "boooooo" after half an hour is hardly going to make the players knuckle down and concentrate.

It feels like LVG is almost challenging the fans to air their views by confidently stating he believes the fans remain supportive of him, The fact they aren't means they need to make sure he knows it, which he now does.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
they can do anything they want (that is legal)

But as always my answer to disgruntled fans would be to stay away completely

A half empty league game at OT would send out a far louder messege
Easier said than done when it comes to supporters with the financial commitment of a season ticket, though.

mark_a

After 40 minutes on saturday, I started to wonder what happened to streakers? The game was crying out for one. The weather was quite mild for January as well. It would have pepped things up loads. Are we a nation of softies? None of the United players would catch you, and the stewards round us don't look that quick on their feet.

I could probably get on the pitch from where I sit, but I have a scar, and nobody needs to see that.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Our approach seems better & more open-minded than, say, Liverpool fans'...which appears to consist of old-time supporters basically telling people how to behave; it's tantamount to holier-than-thou bullying.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Easier said than done when it comes to supporters with the financial commitment of a season ticket, though.
One game. I am sure if local supporters got together and organised to stay away from one game LVG would be gone in no time

Green_Red

It must be tough for the players. Footballers are instinctively creative and are being shackled. To think you could do some magic but cant step out of line or be dropped must be horrid. Ive worked for some real nazi bastards before and its horrible. Makes turning up a real effort.