How do you feel about United fans who boo during games?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Bumping this because it has become relevant again. Got no problem with fans booing. Paying fans have the right to express themselves. Fair play to them for not being satisfied by mediocrity.
I think it’s ok booing the collective team or ownership, it’s a bit shit when it’s focused on a single player. Some sections of our fans booed Ade and I wasn’t impressed by it even though he was a twat, Young seems a nice guy.

Gasolin

I disagree, but I get the frustration. The team needs to win 10 games straight first to change the mood. Fans are always very emotional. It doesn’t justify the booing, but I hope it makes it more “understandable”.

Matt007a

Shouldn’t be booing Young. I know he’s useless for us but he’s not doing it on purpose, he just isn’t the required quality. It’s not like he doesn’t try or pull his weight.

billybee99

I don't know if this is an English thing or what but as a North American sports fan, it is bizarre to me this reluctance to boo a player or team that is consistently performing at a poor level.

red4ever 79

I personally have no issue with players being booed. Fans buy their tickets and have every right to express their view. How else are the players supposed to let the club know they are not satisfied with what they are seeing. Ashley Young is clearly not good enough for Manchester United, yet the club seem to think that it is acceptable to reward sub par players with new contracts.

Super Hans

Shouldn’t be booing Young. I know he’s useless for us but he’s not doing it on purpose, he just isn’t the required quality. It’s not like he doesn’t try or pull his weight.
Agree with this. Young is one you usually can’t fault for effort and commitment.

Billy Jim

That’s piss poor from “fans”.

Young has done nothing but give his absolute maximum for the club since he’s joined. It does not matter one bit that his maximum hasn’t been good enough the past couple of seasons, anyone booing him on a personal level doesn’t deserve the time of day IMO.

Drawfull

I didn't hear it on MUTV to be honest, but it was shit when it happened to Fellaini - to do it to a player that's given his all for the club? feck that. Modern fans I guess, they being fuelled by social media etc, but different issue.

Amarsdd

I don't mind match-going fans booing individual players showing a clear lack of commitment or who is disrespectful to the club. But booing someone like Ashley Young today is not at all in good taste. For sure, he might not be a quality of player you would like to see play in the team but he is never lacking in commitment and giving his absolute best for the team. The fact that he is playing is not really his fault. It's like cursing out a car right in front of you even if they are at no fault for holding up the traffic.

Zoo

It was very weird. I guess there has to be a new target with Fellaini gone.

El Zoido

I just don’t see the point in booing him now. Could have booed the whole lot of them in the tail end of last season, those performances were not acceptable. I know they’re in Singapore so those fans won’t have been at the league games, so are they just getting it out of their system or what? And why just Young? Feels like they’re just picking on him cause he’s less rated than others.

It’s not even as if Young doesn’t put in a shift. I wouldn’t boo a player because they’re shite, I’d boo them if they weren’t working for the shirt. At least Young has never hid or made excuses. Singling him out here is just pathetic imo.

Denis79

I would never boo a player that is giving his all, even if his standards are poor (Young). That he plays is on the manager. But a player who simply looks uninterested for any reason I have no problems voicing my dissatisfaction.

haram

Fans out in Singapore booing does piss me off. 10 years since United have been out there and they boo a player?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I would never boo a player that is giving his all, even if his standards are poor (Young). That he plays is on the manager. But a player who simply looks uninterested for any reason I have no problems voicing my dissatisfaction.
This.
As long as someone is trying he deserves credit .

I'm shit but I'd start at left back if Ole picked me.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Who boos their own player during a friendly? Pathetic.

hobbers

One thing to boo the entire team after a god awful no effort performance. That's totally fair enough, obviously.

Bit different when fans going to a fecking friendly tour game on the other side of the planet, most of whom this will probably be their only time seeing United live, are booing a single player, that's just utterly cnutish.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don't see how anyone can advocate booing Young today.

Pathetic.

BiggusCrickus

Not a fan of Young as player nowadays. But he has earnt the respect for how he has played in the past.

Fellani well he never should of been here anyways and I felt it was more booing the decision to bring him on then actually him

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm against booing which is targeting a single player, especially when that player happens to give his 100% effort nearly every game. Ashley is not of the required quality and no one is arguing that, but you can't boo him for that!
When we play shit and the team gets booed, thats a different case however or if yiu decide to boo a player who you feel is not giving his all (like AdM towards the end of the season here)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bizarre thing to do, especially given a) it's a pre-season friendly and b) we generally played well. Talk about going out of your way to be negative.

trafford1980

I understand it when want-a-way players get called out by the crowd, ala post-transfer request Wayne Rooney back in the day or even if Paul Pogba got a bit of heckling for publicly stating he wants out, but booing one of our longest serving players is really sad. I don’t even know why Young is specifically getting booed. Did I miss the memo? Wasn’t there just as many under-performing players as him last season? Lingard, Matic, Jones, Bailly. Even Diogo Dalot had a far worst rock-bottom at the tail-end of last season. It’s super weird, especially in a meaningless pre-season match when the club tours your Continent like bi-yearly at best.

passing-wind

If players are consistently poor they don't deserve to be boo'd but it's fathomable to understand fan discontent. I also think given this social media environment we are plagued, it's better to boo players as opposed to launching verbal abuse online. It should stay on the pitch either way.

I Am Zlatan

As much as I hate seeing young in a united shirt, booing him today was completely classless. I agree with booing after the match is over if the player/team had a terrible match. But today was a friendly, and he was booed right away. And out of all players, you can clearly see young try’s his best, not his fault he’s not good enough. He keeps getting picked and he does his best, that’s all you can ask any of the players to do! Also he’s our captain..

R'hllor

Even i didnt like what i heard, thats not the worst thing i heard United fans did vs our own player.

Peter10giggsy

If you support your team and players you should do that winning and when you loose.
Young have been great squadplayer for United. Sad how fans thanks him for that.

Foxbatt

It is pathetic and I do not accept this. This is a pre season friendly and I think Young should have been sold but since he is at United and he gives all he should never have been singled out. The funny thing is that he put in a vicious free kick and that led to the goal.

Irwin99

I don't like hearing about individual players being singled out but booing the whole team if the fans feel that effort isn't being put in or if things are really that bad is ....a bit better than singling out one person.

Young has been average/sometimes good for United for years but it's not his fault if the club haven't invested in full back/wide positions for some time, or if they've bought crap players in.

kirk buttercup

While we may not agree with all decisions made to who plays at United its disgraceful anyone would boo any of our players . I dont consider them fans at all. Also to boo young ? Ok I'm not his biggest fan but he has been the best he can be at this club, never caused any hassle or held United to ransom . Shame in anyone who boos our players

paulscholes18

Fans paid their money, Young brought it on himself with his garbage he was producing week in week out.

Seven Seas Sardines

Seems UNO and isn't as popular in Singapore as I remembered.

I guess the PC brigade would prefer to see Young captaining United yet another season and signing a contract to 2024 if it meant his feelings were kept intact.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
How can people criticise booing players considering some of the stuff that they post online about the same players ?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
They thought it would be cool because he gets bashed online. Complete morons.
I wasn't at the game. Can't be arsed paying hundreds of my hard earned money watching a bunch of players I've growned to dislike.

While I wouldn't have booed him myself, saying Singapore fans boo Young just to be "cool" is moronic. We watch most games here, and it's pretty obvious he's been terrible for years and they're just making it known to him.

My natural tendency is to think that booing players is a bit of a shitty thing to do, but I look at our years of crap results, and look at the standards fans of other clubs like Real Madrid set for their players and I find myself beginning to think maybe there is merit in voicing out our displeasures instead of having a moan online while the players get applauded off the pitch after losing at home to relegated clubs.