How Do You Think The Players are Feeling After Yet Another Defeat.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think that the vast majority of Manchester United fans will be feeling pretty downbeat after yet another defeat and poor team performance.

So how do you think that the players will be feeling. And maybe more to the point, how should they be feeling.
Downbeat. Deflated. Numb. Determined to improve. Annoyed.
Or should they just be thinking about the game against Liverpool.

Edit.
Depressed changed to downbeat so as not to confuse with the clinical term.

Last edited:

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
When you get paid despite doing a consistently shite job and know there are no consequences whatsoever, somehow I doubt you'd be giving much of a feck.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Most of them probably feeling sorry for themselves and feeling they don't deserve to be playing with such inept players and a manager.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I think that the vast majority of Manchester United fans will be feeling pretty depressed after yet another defeat and poor team performance.

So how do you think that the players will be feeling. And maybe more to the point, how should they be feeling.
Downbeat. Deflated. Numb. Determined to improve. Annoyed.
Or should they just be thinking about the game against Liverpool.
What on Earth is that? Football is entertainment, it’s not supposed to make you depressed. If it has that effect on you, it’s time to stop watching and end all contact with the sport.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What on Earth is that? Football is entertainment, it’s not supposed to make you depressed. If it has that effect on you, it’s time to stop watching and end all contact with the sport.
I didn't mean depressed in the clinical sense. More as a general sense of how you are feeling.
Happy to change the word to downbeat.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I didn't mean depressed in the clinical sense. More as a general sense of how you are feeling.
Happy to change the word to downbeat.
After losing a game that we fully expected to lose, I don’t think the mood has changed much.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly, they are probably angry/annoyed/confused at why they keep losing. They're probably pointing the finger at each other and saying things like desire/work rate not being there and entirely missing the point. Players often think it is entirely on them and totally undervalue the importance of a quality tactical system in current football.

I think it's clear that most like ten hag and work hard for him. It's just not good despite that

didz

They know they have to do better, they're ready to go again, they know they have to raise the standards, etc, etc

Honestly, they're probably as bored as we are

fps

I think they're on contracts they don't deserve, know no bigger club would want them, and they're happy to be making so much money. I don't think they feel they're building towards anything or are willing to put the work in to do any better than they're doing.

astracrazy

Judging by their efforts on the pitch week in and week out but for a number of games, I doubt they give a shit.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Most of them probably feeling sorry for themselves and feeling they don't deserve to be playing with such inept players and a manager.
That is highly probable.
I know that when I played football as a very basic amateur a long time ago, after a defeat, the disappointment stayed with me for a few days until training (obviously we only played once a week in the winter).

But with top professional sides, there is post game analysis from the coach and the coaching staff. So maybe that changes the mood somewhat.

spiriticon

They've done their 5 minutes of disappointment and are probably now booking holiday trips away on Tuesday/Wednesday nights

Sancho is particularly delighted there are less games, in case a new manager comes in and expects him to play

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
they’re zooming pogba and dancing around the changing room.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Getting very sick of this 'the players don't give a shit' narrative. It's such a simple excuse to fall back on.

They clearly absolutely do. There's many, many factors at play that won't be sorted until the top-down change and one of the main issues is that the players just aren't as good as they're expected to be.

SuperSub81

Sat around biding their time, until another manager goes under the wheels..

spiriticon

Getting very sick of this 'the players don't give a shit' narrative. It's such a simple excuse to fall back on.

They clearly absolutely do. There's many, many factors at play that won't be sorted until the top-down change and one of the main issues is that the players just aren't as good as they're expected to be.
Some of them definitely don't. I don't want to bash them anymore than they already are being bashed in their player threads, but their work on the pitch suggests that they really don't. Forget tactics and ability, I don't see a basic desire to even want to win the ball.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Dude if im paid millions to just show up and have no consequences at all for my poor performances, i wouldn't care. The players probably planning for christmas party and gatherings ahead, to answer your question.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Honestly, they are probably angry/annoyed/confused at why they keep losing. They're probably pointing the finger at each other and saying things like desire/work rate not being there and entirely missing the point. Players often think it is entirely on them and totally undervalue the importance of a quality tactical system in current football.

I think it's clear that most like ten hag and work hard for him. It's just not good despite that
Good points. And confused is likely.

Each individual player will have different thoughts about their own and the team performance. Especially if they have made big mistakes.

McTominay says that they have a strong dressing room. But it certainly doesn't seem like it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Some of them definitely don't. I don't want to bash them anymore than they already are being bashed in their player threads, but their work on the pitch suggests that they really don't.
I think they all care in their own way but how they react to adversity is different.

Rashford cares but strops when things are going wrong instead of putting in effort. This still means he cares because why else would he be so frustrated? He just reacts to it poorly.

spiriticon

I think they all care in their own way but how they react to adversity is different.

Rashford cares but strops when things are going wrong instead of putting in effort. This still means he cares because why else would he be so frustrated? He just reacts to it poorly.
Being frustrated is the reaction of everybody in the heat of the situation. But that is it. The frustration is forgotten in 5 minutes.

They don't care enough to want to change things significantly for the next game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good points. And confused is likely.

Each individual player will have different thoughts about their own and the team performance. Especially if they have made big mistakes.

McTominay says that they have a strong dressing room. But it certainly doesn't seem like it.
We've heard other former pros say it plenty of times, they look at themselves, they don't think owners have any impact at all, they don't think the manager impacts that much beyond some minor levels and how they handle individual players... I don't think they realize quite how much the coaching and ownership has an impact until they step away. Neville basically said this exact thing in one of his podcasts.

And it makes sense, as a player you are the one playing, not the coach. So you assume if everyone just works harder and focuses more, then they'll be better. It's mainly coaching that gets teams playing like city, Arsenal or Liverpool though.

FireballXL5

Most of them couldn't give a toss, probably out buying a new motor. I doubt they even care that they've got Liverpool on Sunday.

Seveneric

The paycheck clears either way. I'm not dumb or wrapped up in athlete worship enough to believe it's more than their version of a 9-5 where they come in, do their work and wait for the salary at the end of the month.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We've heard other former pros say it plenty of times, they look at themselves, they don't think owners have any impact at all, they don't think the manager impacts that much beyond some minor levels and how they handle individual players... I don't think they realize quite how much the coaching and ownership has an impact until they step away. Neville basically said this exact thing in one of his podcasts.

And it makes sense, as a player you are the one playing, not the coach. So you assume if everyone just works harder and focuses more, then they'll be better. It's mainly coaching that gets teams playing like city, Arsenal or Liverpool though.
Very interesting.

lex talionis

Of course we have no way of knowing this, but given how shite our pre-season went it feels like they already wrote off the season when they walked into that Wolves game. Last night felt like just getting the CL off their checklist of pain in the ass obligations.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Being frustrated is the reaction of everybody in the heat of the situation. But that is it. The frustration is forgotten in 5 minutes.

They don't care enough to want to change things significantly for the next game.
You don't know this though. I find it extremely hard to believe some of these wouldn't care about caring the club's fortunes around.

Some of them are likely quite despondent and confused as to why it isn't going well, and don't believe just running extra is the answer (whether that's right or wrong)

The sad fact is we have an expensive mid-table level squad who have been given the expectations of a Top 2-3 team and they can't reach that.

spiriticon

You don't know this though. I find it extremely hard to believe some of these wouldn't care about caring the club's fortunes around.

Some of them are likely quite despondent and confused as to why it isn't going well, and don't believe just running extra is the answer (whether that's right or wrong)

The sad fact is we have an expensive mid-table level squad who have been given the expectations of a Top 2-3 team and they can't reach that.
We will never know it since they will never come on live TV to say that they don't care. But you can see it on the pitch, who really cares and who doesn't. I don't disagree that they are despondent and confused about the tactics or whatever, but my eye test comes where there are 50-50 duels on the pitch. There you can see, at the most basic instinct level, who really wants to win.

And I'm sad to say, most of them fail the 50-50 duel eye test.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Nothing, I don’t think they’ll be feeling anything tbh (most of them that is, not all) and I think some will even be pleased as it fuels the media and fans fire about EtH.

Hughie77

There going to spoil every Fans Xmas with crappy performances and apologies, and we're have we heard this before... whole club is a fecking mess run by twats...

Merry Xmas everyone... and The App will have same ones with Xmas messages.. shove them up your ass and win frcking games.. not just put kit on for a photo..

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We will never know it since they will never come on live TV to say that they don't care. But you can see it on the pitch, who really cares and who doesn't. I don't disagree that they are despondent and confused about the tactics or whatever, but my eye test comes where there are 50-50 duels on the pitch. There you can see, at the most basic level, who really wants to win.

And I'm sad to say, most of them fail the 50-50 duel eye test.
I don't think you can determine who cares based on how hard they challenge!

Quite often people resort to passive behavior when not confident in their ability, that's often what we see with relegation teams, they only end up truly battling in the last 5 or six games, as that fear of failure has been replaced with a sense of desperation.

Most of those players for sure care, not necessarily about United so much, probably moreso about their status in the game and at the club, which is the same for any team.
I highly doubt any player at United right now is feeling positive, this is translated in the way we play, and alas the only way out of that perpetual slide is to win a few games comfortably.

The_Midfielder

They will be down ..
Pretty sure they are thinking, why did they sign up with Man Utd ..

spiriticon

I don't think you can determine who cares based on how hard they challenge!

Quite often people resort to passive behavior when not confident in their ability, that's often what we see with relegation teams, they only end up truly battling in the last 5 or six games, as that fear of failure has been replaced with a sense of desperation.

Most of those players for sure care, not necessarily about United so much, probably moreso about their status in the game and at the club, which is the same for any team.
I highly doubt any player at United right now is feeling positive, this is translated in the way we play, and alas the only way out of that perpetual slide is to win a few games comfortably.
Eh, you don't need any sort of ability to challenge for possession of a loose football surely? Even Wout can do it. And also these are not relegation level players. You don't win every ball sure, but we lose too many for a team who is supposed to be aspiring to work harder, and in dangerous situations too.

They obviously care about their PR, which is why some of them work harder off the pitch than on it, but that's not really what we need.

El-Manos

Don’t really care how they feel. When I’m underperforming at my job, Im at risk of being let go. Same should apply to these lazy bastards