How entertaining were Poch's Spurs at their best?

Nick.

Everytime I watch Ajax their football just looks so silky smooth and attractive. I'd love to see us play like that. I didn't see terribly much of Spurs during Poch's time so I am curious. I just want to enjoy watching us and I'm hoping Rangnick can bring that back.

How long has it been since Manchester United were entertaining for a sustained period?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They came 3rd in a two house race. That’s pretty fecking entertaining from a neutral point of view.

tomaldinho1

One of the times that stands out was nearer the end of his reign there when Ole came in as interim and we beat them one nil. That was the first time I remember playing Spurs as a United fan and thinking they were better in almost every department and we were playing as the underdog - we got that breakaway goal from Pogba to Rashford (I think) and then they just hammered DDG for the entire second half. DDG went joint 3rd on the all time PL saves list in a game (whilst keeping a clean sheet) behind Krul and VDS (when at Fulham).

Idxomer

One of the times that stands out was nearer the end of his reign there when Ole came in as interim and we beat them one nil. That was the first time I remember playing Spurs as a United fan and thinking they were better in almost every department and we were playing as the underdog - we got that breakaway goal from Pogba to Rashford (I think) and then they just hammered DDG for the entire second half. DDG went joint 3rd on the all time PL saves list in a game (whilst keeping a clean sheet) behind Krul and VDS (when at Fulham).
For me, it was the game against them in LVG's 2nd season. Fosu-Mensah was the only one keeping us in the game and after getting injured, we lost 3-0. In the last game at WHL, we also played as an underdog the whole game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They were pretty enjoyably watch when they were on it, to be fair

El Jefe

They were a great team to watch from 2015-2018. There is a reason why most people on the Caf wanted us to sign Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Dembele and Danny Rose at various points during that period. They weren't really a team that relied on pacy wide players, so their passing game had to be great which is what it was at the time. The moved the ball quickly and could unlock defenses with sharp and direct moves.

They remain one of the most balanced teams I've seen in the PL. They just happened to have a very poor bench compared to the quality of the first 11.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Never found them that entertaining. They were a hard working and effective side, but they weren't a "free flowing, slick" attacking side that combined pressing and control into dominance like Ten Hag. Ten Hag is more along the lines of Pep/Klopp. Pochettino is more pragmatic than they are.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I generally like a more aggressive style of Football, so for me at their best they were very entertaining. Their ability to regain possession high was fun.

slored1

I remember their game against Mourinho's United when we signed Sanchez. They were two levels above us, absolutely immense. Could have been like 4 or 5-0 for them at the end. Looked pretty damn good to me.

Guy Incognito

They could be devestating on the break, but the football wasn't exactly enjoyable to watch.

I still remember Spurs went up to Stoke the season Leicester won the league, smashed them 4-0 and that was probably a vindication of his coaching.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
They were good but not amazing, they only truly peaked after he just blatantly and unashamedly ripped off our 3-4-3. This was also the time when Kane became a literal overnight success. I’d rate their side an 8/10, was nothing original and certainly won’t be remembered in the future.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They were good but not amazing, they only truly peaked after he just blatantly and unashamedly ripped off our 3-4-3. This was also the time when Kane became a literal overnight success. I’d rate their side an 8/10, was nothing original and certainly won’t be remembered in the future.
Your side was nothing original too, it's not as if Conte invented the system. He copied Mazzarri.

el3mel

They were pretty entertaining in 2017 from what I remember, when they finished 2nd to Chelsea. By the end of Poch's reign, the football started to degrade though.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
They were really nice to watch. Kind of like his Southampton team as well. One thing that struck me was Poch’s Spurs team were the masters of the tactical foul to break up opposition counter attacks.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Poch was one of the first manager that truly modernize football to the way that seems popular at the moment. He was one of the first managers that brought the ball player center back Vertonghen and Alderweild. He had an organized and intense pressing system that went from spurs having one of the lowest work rate to the highest in the league, he revolutionized the maurading full back as spurs were known for playing them higher up the pitch and he promoted technical gifted football who could by pass the press and bring the ball from the midfield. In short Pochettino when he has the players he wanted produced amazing football. It wasn’t tiki taka, death with a thousand passes, but more so quick thinking, great interplay type of football. I believe that is why ragnick will lay a great foundation to poch because their style are similiar

The work he did was magical at spurs. It is no surprise they are failing so badly and levy already begging to bring him back

lsd

The Oracle
Another thread for the hipsters to hate on Pochettino:rolleyes:.

Guess the other hundred threads were not enough

Gazautd18

I enjoyed watching them.
The Kane/Alli link up was always good to observe.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Never found them that entertaining. They were a hard working and effective side, but they weren't a "free flowing, slick" attacking side that combined pressing and control into dominance like Ten Hag. Ten Hag is more along the lines of Pep/Klopp. Pochettino is more pragmatic than they are.
This. They were very effective at pressing and one of the best I've ever seen at forcing opposition mistakes but I found their general patterns of play a bit meh. Never got the hype over them being great entertainers.

When teams sat back and said "break us down" they usually dropped points or laboured to an unconvincing win.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Poch was one of the first manager that truly modernize football to the way that seems popular at the moment. He was one of the first managers that brought the ball player center back Vertonghen and Alderweild. He had an organized and intense pressing system that went from spurs having one of the lowest work rate to the highest in the league, he revolutionized the maurading full back as spurs were known for playing them higher up the pitch and he promoted technical gifted football who could by pass the press and bring the ball from the midfield. In short Pochettino when he has the players he wanted produced amazing football. It wasn’t tiki taka, death with a thousand passes, but more so quick thinking, great interplay type of football. I believe that is why ragnick will lay a great foundation to poch because their style are similiar

The work he did was magical at spurs. It is no surprise they are failing so badly and levy already begging to bring him back
This is complete and utter tosh :lol: :lol: :houllier:

Sir Alex played with ball playing CBs, always at least one. The ball playing CB goes back years and years before Poch.

As for the marauding full back, Dani Alves says hi.

Poch hasn't revolutionised anything, he's taken a trusted formula and stuck to it.

In terms of trolling, I'd give it a D, must try harder. :lol:

stevoc

For me, it was the game against them in LVG's 2nd season. Fosu-Mensah was the only one keeping us in the game and after getting injured, we lost 3-0. In the last game at WHL, we also played as an underdog the whole game.
Yeah I remember that game we were heading towards a 0-0 draw but a game changer came on for Spurs who we just couldn't live with and he had a hand in all 3 goals.

His name was Darmian.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This is complete and utter tosh :lol: :lol: :houllier:

Sir Alex played with ball playing CBs, always at least one. The ball playing CB goes back years and years before Poch.

As for the marauding full back, Dani Alves says hi.

Poch hasn't revolutionised anything, he's taken a trusted formula and stuck to it.

In terms of trolling, I'd give it a D, must try harder. :lol:
This. Rio Ferdinand would out pass any CBs Spurs had under Pochettino

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This. They were very effective at pressing and one of the best I've ever seen at forcing opposition mistakes but I found their general patterns of play a bit meh. Never got the hype over them being great entertainers.

When teams sat back and said "break us down" they usually dropped points or laboured to an unconvincing win.
For me the hype was the effective pressing and counter attack, that was in itself great to watch. But as you say when they had to retain the ball and put together more elaborated attacks, they were quickly dull and uninventive.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This. Rio Ferdinand would out pass any CBs Spurs had under Pochettino
Rio Ferdinand, silky on the ball.

He was like a Rolls-Royce Royce at times on the ball.

stevoc

Yeah Mauricio Roberto Pochettino Trossero to all intents and purposes invented modern football as we know it today.

Before him managers just picked the team and said ''give it a right old go lads'' before the match and that was it.

tomaldinho1

That one was bad but I blamed Van Gaal’s weird sub - which I assume was a middle finger to the board for no good striker - of playing Young up front :lol:

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
They came 3rd in a two house race. That’s pretty fecking entertaining from a neutral point of view.
Poor Poch, I watched interview after the Chelsea draw, and in that interviewed said something along the lines of we are still runners up, and then they came 3rd. :lol:

Tarrou

How exactly did he revolutionise the marauding full-back?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd give them a solid 7. I don't think they were the most exciting team. They were more functional and effective rather than expansive and exciting.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The thing I never really got was they had no pace in the attacking unit but still scored a lot of goals. Kane, Lamela, Erksen, Alli are all quite pedestrian, certainly not like having a prime Bale running at you.

I guess Poch relied entirely on Rose and Trippier for that injection of pace? Although I never really considered either overly rapid.

It wasn't until Son joined that Spurs had a player that could frighten defenders with his speed.