How excited are you about the World Cup?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Cannot seriously believe there's someone trying to claim only 'three' people have died on construction sites for the World cup!

50 are said to have died in 2021, just one year.

Source

Sad that people can't actually do their research on this and instead just spout nonsense.
Nobody on here has made the figures up. Everyone has got their numbers from articles, just like you have. Truth is, none of us really know which one is right.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Tainted by corruption and and an undercurrent of actual danger to supporters.
100% there will be headlines where fans fall foul of stupid laws that wouldn't be an issue in a non religion fanatical society. Stupid venue 100% chosen on corrupt deals.

Just can't be bothered with the circus.
But blatter and Platini got paid so hey ho they are happy.

We won't even speak about human rights issues and workers

el3mel

Doesn't feel like there's a World Cup coming to me. Really don't give a shit but who knows, maybe I'll get interested when it actually starts.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Got the World Soccer preview yesterday and it has the usual wallchart which my 5 year old will fill in (well its for me as well really I won't lie, kids are great for some things)

I love the World Cup and I do love the 3/4 week build up and wait for it in the summer so it's a bit strange. As a one off though in the winter I don't mind (hosts aside which is a farce).

There will be zero build up until after the Premier League games are over the weekend before but once its on it will be as big and as popular as normal.

Downside is I'm really enjoying watching this current United side so disrupting that is slightly annoying.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Didn't watch 2018, won't be watching this one and 48 teams in the US, who have, I am totally aware a sketchy record when it comes to starting wars? Yeah, no.

Not sure when I'll tune into the next one. Maybe 2030 if it goes to South America, but even then, not sure I can get into a tournament were 3/4ths of the the teams are going to get pummelled.

The Dane

My guess is it will be a World Cup like in Japan/South Korea 2002 with the big nations not really showing up and 2-3 of them won’t even make it through the group stage.
Teams like Croatia and Denmark with some quality but only a few big names might do well, whereas I think many of the players from the big European clubs, will show up tired from a busy autumn and will probably not be too unhappy if they don’t make it to the final, but instead gets 2-3 weeks off before the season starts up again.
Add to that, that the atmosphere at the stadium’s will most likely be pretty dull as no normal people can afford to go, and you have all the ingredients for a disastrous tournament.

Reactions: Rood

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm sure many of those who claim to have no interest will be watching once it actually kicks off

There are legit issues with host nation and its good that there is a spotlight on them to force them to change

I remember there were many complaints about USA94, Japan/Korea 02 and even Russia 18 but still it's elite level football with the best players in the world on show

Mr. Robot

International Football is dross. And it has been for a while now.

When I was a kid in the 80s/90s, international football had a certain magic about it.

These days it’s just tedious.

stevoc

Probably the full article of the headline you read
So you don't actually know where you got the stat for 3 construction deaths from, but you stated it as fact?

Also which article? And what was their source for the information?

MUFC OK

Tainted by corruption and and an undercurrent of actual danger to supporters.
100% there will be headlines where fans fall foul of stupid laws that wouldn't be an issue in a non religion fanatical society. Stupid venue 100% chosen on corrupt deals.
Can already see the headlines of appeals to bring xxx the England supporter home after going missing or being locked up. Kind of dreading the inevitability. Maybe I’m being overly cynical.

Jeffthered

Not looking forward to this World Cup at all. It highlights all that is currently wrong with the game, and sport in general.

Gazautd18

Bit meh to be honest.
Only clocked it was on so soon because of some advert

Strelok

I feel sorry for him, but the guys a bloody idiot.
You're basically calling anyone who ever fought for democracy, for freedom, against slavery, against racism etc. a bloody idiot. Guys who fought against the Nazis must be even bigger idiots since they would had not been only threw in jail like that guy but killed.

No offense but who is the bloody idiot now?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Probably going to be the worst World Cup in history. A country that barely knows what a football looks like along with all the controversy in it.

Drawfull

Pretty much the CBA choice - but I've felt that way about the last couple of international tournaments, so it's not just the fact it's being held at a stupid time in a stupid place. The last I was properly invested in was Euro 2016.

That said, the match times in Qatar are convenient, so I'll probably end up watching the lot.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the world cup. I'm not a fan of FIFA and their choice of hosts or the circumstances behind it, but I feel the world cup goes beyond those things, at least to me, and I can't wait for it. International football is what I care about the most over club football, which I see more as just a distraction until the next international tournament. There's nothing in club football that gives me more emotion than winning a World cup or a Euro, and I love that even casual or non-football fans get involved when it happens, it definitely feels like a world event compared to most international competitions out there of any sport.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the world cup. I'm not a fan of FIFA and their choice of hosts or the circumstances behind it, but I feel the world cup goes beyond those things, at least to me, and I can't wait for it. International football is what I care about the most over club football, which I see more as just a distraction until the next international tournament. There's nothing in club football that gives me more emotion than winning a World cup or a Euro, and I love that even casual or non-football fans get involved when it happens, it definitely feels like a world event compared to most international competitions out there of any sport.
I love the world cup too, my favourite football tournament. The first one I saw was 1970, I watch as many games as possible. Im just struggling to feel enthusiastic for it, maybe once it starts I will click back into my normal mode for it.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Not at all. Because my NT is shite and also because I prefer club football over NT football.

mav_9me

Not much. Just interested in Licha, Casemiro+Antony, Eriksen. Interested in a few youngsters like Musiala, Pedri, Tchouameni etc. That's about it

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The corrupt decision to hold it in Qatar is ruining it. Idiotic timing, as a result of clearly bullshit decision is only part of it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Nobody on here has made the figures up. Everyone has got their numbers from articles, just like you have. Truth is, none of us really know which one is right.
I've got my figure from a study, from research that a worldwide labour body has done in order to find out the truth behind the potential fudged figures from the host nation.
It isn't an article.

The deaths are just one thing, the lack of wages being paid to these construction workers, the lack of hotels for fans, the lack of inclusivity for gay people, the lack of human rights in the country, systemic abuse of migrants, all add up to a rather distasteful world cup.

I don't see how anyone can defend those points, points which also haven't come from articles but from independence body's across the world.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm much more excited about the resumption of the league on Boxing Day, I love the festive fixtures.

Real Name

I'm excited but not as I used to be. In part cause I'm older and there's already too much football around as it is, plus world cup in winter in the middle of the season and the fact the atmoposhere will most probably be dead.

justsomebloke

Frankly right now it feels mostly like an unwelcome break in the real action. Which is a bit of a surprise. But then this particular tournament has a lot against it. I suppose it will change once the thing gets going.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Pretty much the CBA choice - but I've felt that way about the last couple of international tournaments, so it's not just the fact it's being held at a stupid time in a stupid place. The last I was properly invested in was Euro 2016.

That said, the match times in Qatar are convenient, so I'll probably end up watching the lot.
Apart from holding it in countries with questionable foreign policies and human rights issues, the bigger problem is that international football is also suffering from a bloat. Euro 2016 was the last great tournament as it was 16 teams which created a lot more jepody. The WC was been suffering since 98 with the move to 32 (98 was the only tournament that format worked, which was principally down to a number of smaller nations having had some of their better national teams.)

However, now the Euros have virtually half the teams qualify for it, while the World Cup is going to 48 teams. The Euros consequently only puts on quality games from the quarter final stage and the WC is similar as it is too easy to qualify from the groups and half the teams that do qualify aren't great (in the 48 team WC it will be more like 60-70%.)

It is the same with the CL. The move to add more group games and teams is just diluting the product and is more to do with the heads of UEFA and FIFA playing politics to shore up their support in elections (also with added bribes at times) rather than wanting to put on a quality product.

NoPace

I'm excited but not as I used to be. In part cause I'm older and there's already too much football around as it is, plus world cup in winter in the middle of the season and the fact the atmoposhere will most probably be dead.
Same.

Will the atmosphere be dead? I genuinely have no idea. Obviously the vibes are horrific, but will the stadiums be dead?

Real Name

Same.

Will the atmosphere be dead? I genuinely have no idea. Obviously the vibes are horrific, but will the stadiums be dead?
Maybe not dead but certainly artificial. Plus I dont think many fans will go there as in other world cups and if they will they'll have to watch all the time what are they doing in the streets or in the stands so they dont get locked.

Spaghetti

Mom's
So you don't actually know where you got the stat for 3 construction deaths from, but you stated it as fact?

Also which article? And what was their source for the information?
What on Earth are you talking about?

The stat for 3 is the stat that is in pretty much every article I’ve seen. Also in the Qatar official reports, and an interview on The Overlap.

Again, stop reading headlines.

Real Name

Apart from holding it in countries with questionable foreign policies and human rights issues, the bigger problem is that international football is also suffering from a bloat. Euro 2016 was the last great tournament as it was 16 teams which created a lot more jepody. The WC was been suffering since 98 with the move to 32 (98 was the only tournament that format worked, which was principally down to a number of smaller nations having had some of their better national teams.)

However, now the Euros have virtually half the teams qualify for it, while the World Cup is going to 48 teams. The Euros consequently only puts on quality games from the quarter final stage and the WC is similar as it is too easy to qualify from the groups and half the teams that do qualify aren't great (in the 48 team WC it will be more like 60-70%.)

It is the same with the CL. The move to add more group games and teams is just diluting the product and is more to do with the heads of UEFA and FIFA playing politics to shore up their support in elections (also with added bribes at times) rather than wanting to put on a quality product.
It's horrible, 48 team WC and 24 team Euros.
Euros of 16 teams was the best just as CL of 16 teams. They keep dilluting it and making it worse and worse.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I've got my figure from a study, from research that a worldwide labour body has done in order to find out the truth behind the potential fudged figures from the host nation.
It isn't an article.

The deaths are just one thing, the lack of wages being paid to these construction workers, the lack of hotels for fans, the lack of inclusivity for gay people, the lack of human rights in the country, systemic abuse of migrants, all add up to a rather distasteful world cup.

I don't see how anyone can defend those points, points which also haven't come from articles but from independence body's across the world.
It doesn’t mean other people have made up their figures.

AndySmith1990

It's difficult to be excited about an event built on corruption and lies. Yeah we can just ignore that, pretend it didn't happen, and be ignorant little consumers who jump up and down with excitement and enjoy the show like the willing sheep they want us to be. But nah, I'm fed up of the wealthy getting wealthier on the back of lies and the suffering of others. I'm not excited nor will I make any effort to watch