How far off is this squad from a title challenge?

Paul_Scholes18

Need the teams like Burley to get it done.
Yeah sadly Burnley always gets destroyed by City.

I think the hope is draw with Liverpool. Spurs to beat them. Arsenal upset and Leicester beating them again.
Southampton, West Ham, Everton can maybe do something against them too. Sadly they will probably take points from us as well.

city-puma

Yeah sadly Burnley always gets destroyed by City.

I think the hope is draw with Liverpool. Spurs to beat them. Arsenal upset and Leicester beating them again.
Southampton, West Ham, Everton can maybe do something against them too. Sadly they will probably take points from us as well.
I feel almost every team at the moment is performing not very well, including us and man city. Man city has strung a six game winning run in the league as I heard. But they started looking labored in the last two games. Maybe they will have some dip soon? Just hope us continue grind out the results even we are not at the best also.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Four players off a CL and League winning squad.

Namely RW, CDM, ST, and CB

(that's if Pogba somehow stays)

1nil

We have every position covered. United have to work with what they have got just like what we do in real life and succeed. It's much sweeter this way.

Suv666

That's inflated by the our result against Spurs. I actually think our defence is starting to click even with the rotation between Lindelof and Bailly. AWB needs to adjust his attacking movement and cut inside more, but he has been consistent at the back.
So is our number of goals scored because of Leeds. You wouldn't use that against our attack will you?

Dembeza

If the news that KDB might miss the next 4 weeks due to injury turn out to be true then this season is the one

Suv666

Just because we’ve shipped some goals doesn’t automatically mean our defence is shit.
It kinda does man. How else would you judge a defence?
Whether its due to a lack of personnel or tactical issues thats a another conversation.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Whether its due to a lack of personnel or tactical issues thats a another conversation.
All these stats are skewed because of first 3 games, without pre season we conceded 11 goals. Since then we have done well both in attack and defense.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Remember the first few games of this season? We were shit almost all over the field and we leaked goals. Since then we’ve been much better.

I’m just saying I’m much more concerned about our attack. Cavani is awesome but we’re pretty toothless otherwise. Our quality and depth up front is worrying.

Bestie07

I just took a quick look at our results in the premier league and we have 33 points in the last 13 games. That's seriously impressive considering our front three are out of sorts. Question is can we sustain it? I have been through so many false dawns that I just can't figure out if this current run of form is another one them.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's a metric that's most useful when considered in aggregate, yes. But that's not the same as saying giving up lots of shots after taking the lead in a game (which isn't even something United have done in any game I remember this season, really - more of a Tottenham thing) is a reason the aggregate figure can be distorted.

The numbers for an individual game aren't a simple "who should have won" indicator because of the need to account for game state, but they're still insightful - if a team goes 1-0 up early by scoring from a low-percentage chance or error, then sits back and lets the other team have 15 potshots for a total xG of, say, 1 or 1.5 and ends up winning 1-0, it's not wrong to say the other team should have scored once - they're more likely to score than not score if that same game with those same chances happens repeatedly. And a team that consistently sits back and invites pressure, even if it's comparatively low-quality chances, will give up goals and points over the season if it lets the opposition have enough of them.

The xGD numbers in that link the other person posted are an aggregate measure across half a season anyway. Although yeah, I don't think the difference (2 goals above XG for, 2 below XG against) is huge enough to suggest the numbers are saying anything about where the team should be in the table.
I understand the statistic, and understand that the use in this context (to try to prove United are top by lucky results) is inherently incorrect.
United are top because they have more points than anyone else, which was my point all along.. nothing lucky about it!
And long may it continue!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Realistically we’re close. I said at the start of the season we’re one season away from a serious title push and I still think City will have enough over the second half of the season to push past us but I genuinely think we can be in that top 3 and potentially now within a few points of City/Liverpool which is exactly what this season should be about significantly closing the gap.

I think it’s amazing that we’ve managed to get ourselves to this stage without a RW and without a fully firing striker but that shows that there are goals all around the side which is great.

I really think we need to give Amad Diallo a shot at the RW in the second half of the season so I won’t be saying Sancho or any other top RW anymore although part of me feels that addition combined with our current league position could have been the final piece.

Really (and unrealistically) you plonk a Harry Kane/Lewandowski in place of Martial/Cavani and we win the league (I’m not saying this would happen before anyone jumps in) but I still think Martial has enough in him to have a good season if we play him as ST (he has a goal/assist every 93mins played as ST this season but 0 from wide areas). There is more to come from our attacking players which is encouraging it’s not like we’re playing at our best we have that room to improve and develop

So I think next season we need a better version of Cavani and Martial to develop.

At CM with Pogba seemingly going (although if we get close to the PL title could he be convinced to go for it one more year?) We will probably need to see how DVB gets on although if recent form is anything to go on it will be a drop in quality.

The only position that we are absolutely lacking depth for is the dedicated DM that’s comfortable dropping into a back 3 a la
Matic. That for me has to happen to ensure against smaller sides our attacking players have freedom.

At LB we are as sorted as we’ve ever been with two genuinely quality players and RB I think needs the same kind of competition and quantity which is why I hope Laird does well at MK Dons but feel Trippier would be exactly the kind of affordable but quality option to tick us over and enable us to rest AWB from time to time.

At CB Maguire and Lindelof works. People may not like it but it does and there’s an enormous amount of risk attached to buying a young CB and throwing them into a side so while I’d love the added bonus of a Konate or such like I don’t think it would have any immediate effect. Nobody has ever on the CAF managed to tell me a CB who walks into our starting XI right away that is available and clearly better.

GK finally people have realised De Gea isn’t crap and that having another good young GK is lovely but not worth throwing out an experienced and importantly title winning player.

TLDR:
ST - Upgrade Cavani
Wing - Trust Diallo
CM - Trust DVB/Pogba
DM - Buy!
RB - Add Trippier
LB - Trust Shaw
CB - Trust Maguire/Lindelof
GK - Trust De Gea

MattofManchester

We're really in it this season, despite still being behind City and Liverpool's squads in terms of quality.

Honestly, I feel we're just missing form in a few of our players at the moment.

If Mason and Marcus and Martial start firing, with the quality behind them, we'll start dominating games more easily in terms of goalscoring in the same manner we did after lockdown, and become more clinical.

That and Wan-Bissaka needs to improve drastically, as he's hurting us.

If we get that, we'll really be a force.

We also need to finish games

justsomebloke

We have every position covered. United have to work with what they have got just like what we do in real life and succeed. It's much sweeter this way.
We really don't have every position covered. At the very least, not RW. And CDM, not for very long (given Matic's age). Also, there is the issue of depth, of which we are quite obviously short in the forward three, as well as on RB.

For the rest, you could argue that we can attempt to go with what we already have, but at least for CB and S, that does not seem convincing to me, in a 2-3 season perspective.

justsomebloke

Realistically we’re close. I said at the start of the season we’re one season away from a serious title push and I still think City will have enough over the second half of the season to push past us but I genuinely think we can be in that top 3 and potentially now within a few points of City/Liverpool which is exactly what this season should be about significantly closing the gap.

I think it’s amazing that we’ve managed to get ourselves to this stage without a RW and without a fully firing striker but that shows that there are goals all around the side which is great.

I really think we need to give Amad Diallo a shot at the RW in the second half of the season so I won’t be saying Sancho or any other top RW anymore although part of me feels that addition combined with our current league position could have been the final piece.

Really (and unrealistically) you plonk a Harry Kane/Lewandowski in place of Martial/Cavani and we win the league (I’m not saying this would happen before anyone jumps in) but I still think Martial has enough in him to have a good season if we play him as ST (he has a goal/assist every 93mins played as ST this season but 0 from wide areas). There is more to come from our attacking players which is encouraging it’s not like we’re playing at our best we have that room to improve and develop

So I think next season we need a better version of Cavani and Martial to develop.

At CM with Pogba seemingly going (although if we get close to the PL title could he be convinced to go for it one more year?) We will probably need to see how DVB gets on although if recent form is anything to go on it will be a drop in quality.

The only position that we are absolutely lacking depth for is the dedicated DM that’s comfortable dropping into a back 3 a la
Matic. That for me has to happen to ensure against smaller sides our attacking players have freedom.

At LB we are as sorted as we’ve ever been with two genuinely quality players and RB I think needs the same kind of competition and quantity which is why I hope Laird does well at MK Dons but feel Trippier would be exactly the kind of affordable but quality option to tick us over and enable us to rest AWB from time to time.

At CB Maguire and Lindelof works. People may not like it but it does and there’s an enormous amount of risk attached to buying a young CB and throwing them into a side so while I’d love the added bonus of a Konate or such like I don’t think it would have any immediate effect. Nobody has ever on the CAF managed to tell me a CB who walks into our starting XI right away that is available and clearly better.

GK finally people have realised De Gea isn’t crap and that having another good young GK is lovely but not worth throwing out an experienced and importantly title winning player.

TLDR:
ST - Upgrade Cavani
Wing - Trust Diallo
CM - Trust DVB/Pogba
DM - Buy!
RB - Add Trippier
LB - Trust Shaw
CB - Trust Maguire/Lindelof
GK - Trust De Gea
I understand that people are enthusiastic about Diallo and his potential. But as for him making an immediate and significant impact this season, I don't think that is realistic enough to even be an issue. He's not even played senior level football regularly, anywhere. Anything he can give us this season is a pure bonus, and if he can begin to contribute something, occasionally, next season, then he's well on track. If someone who's seen him play beyond highlight reels have convincing arguments for that being too pessimistic I'm all ears, but that's how it looks to me.

misterparsley

I don't think we need anyone, and certainly not during this window. We have great momentum, a belief that is building game-to-game, and players on the bench that are chomping at the bit, ready to make an impact.

I think we can do it with this squad, especially if Martial and Rashford can hit some form between now and the end of the season. A statement win against Liverpool on Sunday would be just beautiful.

Alemar

I understand that people are enthusiastic about Diallo and his potential. But as for him making an immediate and significant impact this season, I don't think that is realistic enough to even be an issue.
Well, could we just give him a few chances and then judge? Ansu Fati was an unknown as well, but look at him now

If Diallo plays a couple of times and we see he is not yet ready - then fair enough

Alfie092

Ok I just had this crazy idea. Call me crazy but imagine our squad but with two additional established old heads who've been in this position before.

Add Nani and Rafael to this squad and we walk this league.

Nani's 34 and while clearly past his best I think his understanding of the right wing position at Manchester United as sort of mentor figure until the likes of Diallo and Pellistri become ready or we get a more established player like Sancho could be really useful when we are sorely lacking any sort of creativity from the right. He doesn't have to play that many minutes to be very useful either.

I think Rafael would instantly become our backup RB and give AWB some rest while also helping us in certain situations progressing the ball when our RB position becomes a build up play blackhole.

Please tell me I'm crazy because it seems almost too perfect. Almost like putting back the broken pieces of what was Manchester United.

PS: This is totally the kind of thing Fergie would do too.
If we was to bring back peak Rafael (12/13 season) and peak Nani (around a decade ago) then I'm all for it.

Rafael would give us an attacking option at RB, something AWB doesn't really offer us. Plus he would have hopefully upped AWB's game in that sense. Currently if AWB was to pick up an injury we don't have adequate cover at RB and that is a concern for me and would like us to sign a RB this window! At least with Rafael, they both offer different qualities and can rotate between the 2 based on the opposition.

Nani at his peak, while frustrating, had many world-class moments for us. RW is still a problem position for us as we don't have a natural RW good enough (Diallo is still too young and unproven). Nani would take that position nicely, especially with him being 2 footed, he can offer us a goal threat while still providing width on the outside and would give our current team more balance.

Saying that, if we was to dip into the market for RB and/or RW then it shouldn't be either Rafael or Nani and we need to look for players who can genuinely challenge for a starting position. IMO, I would be happy to sacrifice some of AWB's defensive qualities and get someone who is more forward thinking and has a decent cross on them and has the potential to chip in with a few goals every season, even if it was just the 2-3 goals, it could prove vital!

Sancho is still the RW I want but I don't know what will happen with that especially after last summer...

KennyBurner

We already had a title winning squad since last season. Only thing standing between us and the title is Injuries and luck.

justsomebloke

Well, could we just give him a few chances and then judge? Ansu Fati was an unknown as well, but look at him now

If Diallo plays a couple of times and we see he is not yet ready - then fair enough
Well, how often do you see anyone do what Ansu Fati has done? By all means, if he ends up playing and does well, that's great. But as a baseline expectation, I think that's where things are. I doubt he's going to get "a few chances" anytime soon, and people have no cause for complaint or surprise if he doesn't.

Kag

The initial reaction to posts like this really does reinforce just how much a difference mentality and momentum can make. Teams that win the league by 20 points one season can find themselves behind the next season. We never were that far away.

Stacks

This is by far our BEST CHANCE we probably gonna have under current managment, regime and playing staff. A season where 80 odd points may be enough. We must summon our inner Leicester and just be brave/bold. None of this caution.

Icemav

We are fsr off the finished article but we have learnt a very important thing this season. How to win.

justsomebloke

This is by far our BEST CHANCE we probably gonna have under current managment, regime and playing staff. A season where 80 odd points may be enough. We must summon our inner Leicester and just be brave/bold. None of this caution.
Who's talking about caution? Of course they should do everything in their power to win this season. That doesn't remove the need to improve the squad, for us to remain contenders in the next seasons. Also, I certainly do not expect this to be the best team United is going to field in a while.

Stacks

Who's talking about caution? Of course they should do everything in their power to win this season. That doesn't remove the need to improve the squad, for us to remain contenders in the next seasons. Also, I certainly do not expect this to be the best team United is going to field in a while.
I meant playing with caution. Go to win vs our rivals in the upcoming games. I never implied we don't need to improve the squad. The suggestion that 80 pts will win the league should indicate this is a low tally and teams will raise the bar again going forwards. Even if we do get a better side the chances of it being capable of 95 odd points is super slim so this is our chance

MadMike

Probably 2-3 starting XI players off. Then it's up to the players and coaches to generate title-winning form more than anything else.

Priorities will be long term solutions to CF and DM to replace Cavani and Matic respectively. Then potentially someone to challenge AWB at RB like Telles did with Shaw on the left. I don't like depending exclusively on any single player.

I reckon Pogba will go, but believe VDB was signed to be his replacement and using this season to bring him up to EPL speed. I don't think we'll splash whatever Villa will be asking for on Grealish.

Similarly you could say we need a RW but with Diallo coming in and Greenwood himself being young, I don't see us signing another RW. I reckon the ship has sailed with Sancho and we're gambling on the kids and James for next year.

passing-wind

Solskjaer has culminated a very good team mentality the addition of Bruno seems to have transitioned the need from just having togetherness to actually winning.

Our biggest issue for me is tactically against the big teams Ole has often been outdone especially on the balance of play in large periods of the game. We always have this backs against the wall feeling in the way we perform. We've got Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Spurs I'm inclined to throw Palace in there too because Hodgson seems to nullify us very well. We will need at least 10 points from a possible 15 to be in with a sniff and that's on the hope of City losing a little form due to maybe fatigue from the UCL.

justsomebloke

I meant playing with caution. Go to win vs our rivals in the upcoming games. I never implied we don't need to improve the squad. The suggestion that 80 pts will win the league should indicate this is a low tally and teams will raise the bar again going forwards. Even if we do get a better side the chances of it being capable of 95 odd points is super slim so this is our chance
Oh right, different issue then, sorry.

Personally not convinced that playing with less caution is the route to success. I guess we know at least that we're not playing with too little caution. I thought Fulham was a reminder of our defensive vulnerability when we play very offensively.

Anyway, if 80 pts is enough, then there's no reason to change what we're doing. We're on pace for that right now. I suspect for my part that it will take more than that, and that 85 is what you need to aim for if you want to get there through your own results, and not rely on others tripping up.

justsomebloke

Solskjaer has culminated a very good team mentality the addition of Bruno seems to have transitioned the need from just having togetherness to actually winning.

Our biggest issue for me is tactically against the big teams Ole has often been outdone especially on the balance of play in large periods of the game. We always have this backs against the wall feeling in the way we perform. We've got Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Spurs I'm inclined to throw Palace in there too because Hodgson seems to nullify us very well. We will need at least 10 points from a possible 15 to be in with a sniff and that's on the hope of City losing a little form due to maybe fatigue from the UCL.
More or less, if we regard roughly 80 pts as being in with a sniff. But for 85, which is probably home and dry, we'd need closer to 4 out of 5 points. Specifically, we can afford to drop 12 of 57 points in our remaining 19 games to reach 85.

Last edited:

automaticflare

Cavani was fuming all game against fulham. We need an option who will deliver crosses to him. He is a monster center forward. All our wide options cut inside, and even our full backs hesitate on early delivery. I don't mind who it is or how that happens but that needs to be something we can use. I think cavani is fit as a fiddle and he could do an amazing job for us over next 18-24 months.

We need to replace Matic with someone quality because we are always compromising our midfield because none of the players have it all. McTominay and Fred should be backup IMO because they aren't top quality on the ball. We need a Center Back with pace.

AFC NimbleThumb

If we had the front 3 of last season on form we’d be walking the league this season.

I think we go as far as our attack takes us; if we can get them firing again then we’ll outscore most teams & no ones going unbeaten for the rest of the season.

It’s fair to say at the beginning of the season we were not considered favourites to be where we are half where through anything less than a proper challenge will be disappointing - it’s taken us the best part of a decade to get a sniff of a title race again; I sincerely hope we can maintain this momentum.

Stacks

WE'VE DONE IT LADS AND LADETTE'S. Vardy just had surgery (faces a spell out) and De Bruyne to miss up to 10 games.
I don't wish injury on anyone but looks like it's coming home!!!!!

Giggsy13

Imagine Woodward and the Glazers showed real ambition and signed Sancho this past summer. We’d have an actual threat on the right instead of playing Rashford out of position and pushing AWB forward where he’s clearly not that effective. I’m sure sure Ole bought AWB with the promise that Sancho was the next big move knowing AWB was stronger defensively rather than a more modern attacking FB.

We’re getting better though and have closed the gap but the next step is to see whether the owners will reciprocate and reward Ole with his preferred targets.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

WE'VE DONE IT LADS AND LADETTE'S. Vardy just had surgery (faces a spell out) and De Bruyne to miss up to 10 games.
I don't wish injury on anyone but looks like it's coming home!!!!!
To take a properly Nordic mid-winter attitude: Only have you seen City's upcoming schedule, and Vardy hasn't scored since that goal against us, with Leicester thriving nonetheless. No no, this will not end well.

rollingstoned1

Looking at the italic bolded part only...How exactly is our league position inflated?? Because statistics said so?

The fact remains we are top of the league because we have more points than everyone elese - albeit having played a game more than City who could also be top when parity hits.

Stats like expected goals etc are fine and have their use but when used to claim that a league position is false then they are being used incorrectly. Our expected goals against for example can be misleading due to several long shots the opponent has made during the game - think Liverpool a the weekend, several long shots but no real danger - this sort of game affects the expected goals against stats dramatically. Contect is everything when using stats like expected goals for and against, without it they mean very little. Also they are best used over the course of a season in order to get a clearer indication.

The simple fact remains United have won more points than anyone else at this tage of the season so deserve to be at the top. No stats can belittle that.

Also, we arent buying anyone this Window, no club wants to sell and so prices will still be high with clubs struggling for cash flow, thats the reason theres so many loan deals being mooted.
tbf i was an xg skeptic when in ole's caretaker stint the stats showed that we were outperforming our xg and it seemed as though we reverted to some mean in the next few months. I'm not saying that that was the only reason we went on a long run of awful results and performances or that this means we will come a cropper this season, just that like all statistical resources it can tell a story.

G-MUFC

I think I'll only start to get really excited about whether we can win the title once we've played Arsenal away. If we can beat Arsenal away City then have to go to Anfield a week later and respond. City will be fully expecting us to drop points in games like Arsenal away, so we can really kill their spirit by getting a few big results.