How good was Denis Irwin?

deltakaye

Denis Irwin is the best left-back AND right-back I've ever seen playing for us.

Ole'sbodyguard

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Cole is the greatest left back in Premier League history.
It's a decent comparison.

Dennis Irwin was an excellent player, servant and under-rated during the course of his career.

Ashley Cole is a top player and has been for approximately a decade.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Cole is the greatest left back in Premier League history.
Damn shame Irwin didn't marry a (wannabe) pop-star and constantly complain about his contracts to court publicity or perhaps he'd have been more widely known in the 24 hour media/internet era.

Widnes

Did you even watch Irwin play? Do you realise how many free kicks and penalties he scored, not to mention the odd cracker from open play. Irwin was a better overall player than Neville.

Irwin 529 appearances 33 goals
Neville 602 appearences 7 goals
Yes I grew up watching Irwin, but don't really judge a defender on set pieces although it is obviously a plus point for Irwin, Already said I think Irwin was a fantastic full back one of the best left backs in the PL era, and Neville was without question the best RB of the PL era so not thinking one is miles better than the other or even preferring Neville is not really that weird mate.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Damn shame Irwin didn't marry a (wannabe) pop-star and constantly complain about his contracts to court publicity or perhaps he'd have been more widely know in the 24 hour media/internet era.
People seem to focus more on those things rather than his footballing ability. You could say he's actually more underrated than Irwin.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
People seem to focus more on those things rather than his footballing ability. You could say he's actually more underrated than Irwin.
Cole is a damn good left back but his media personality has gained him a huge publicity that has allowed him to be seen. Irwin never had that platform, nor did he crave it, or he would have been rated far much higher around the world. Look at how overrated Carlos was - simply because he was Brazilian, scored that riduculous goal, and had a huge public profile.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He was very good indeed - the best left back I've seen and the reason people talk about the setpieces is that he was almost invisible apart from them - he was that reliable.

Cole's very good but Irwin ultimately had more end product going forward and better positional sense going backwards. More trophies as well.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yes I grew up watching Irwin, but don't really judge a defender on set pieces although it is obviously a plus point for Irwin, Already said I think Irwin was a fantastic full back one of the best left backs in the PL era, and Neville was without question the best RB of the PL era so not thinking one is miles better than the other or even preferring Neville is not really that weird mate.
Who said it was weird? Irwin was just as competent at defending as Neville was with probably a lot less high profile errors in his career. Not to mention the fact he could play both RB and LB and on top of that the set pieces and penalties he scored from and assists he created, all a lot more than Neville.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
When I was a kid I had to write an essay about who was my Hero. I thought long and hard and I figured I'd pick someone who didn't usually get all the plaudits, but to my young mind was damn near perfect. From that day on Irwin has been my favourite United player. Easily the best fullback I've ever seen, didn't fuss, didn't grumble, just got on with being awesome game in and game out. First name on the team sheet almost his entire career at United. Maybe other players gave more in terms of leadership, but none were more of a quiet unsung hero than Irwin. Pure Class!!

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Had a debate at work with someone who said that Ashley Cole was way better than Irwin.
What's the Caf's (unbiased of course) view on this?
Cole is an excellent LB, but he cannot even kick a ball with his right foot. It is arguable whether he was better than Irwin at LB, but freekicks, penalties, corners an ability to play RB as well as he could play LB, imo puts him well ahead of Cole in so many aspects.

Cole is one of those FB's who benefits greatly from having pace. When you have pace like that it can come to the rescue when you have been caught out positionally etc. Look at Roberto Carlos as a case in point, not a great defender but his pace enabled him to recover poor positions quickly and so limit the damage his poor defending would have made without such recovery pace.

Irwin despite much less pace used his brain and awareness to position himself so he wasn't caught out very often at all. That for me puts Irwin ahead of Cole. Cole would not be half as good defensively without pace. Irwin never needed pace to be considered world class, and that's the difference.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I genuinely don't think Cole at his best was as good as Evra at his best. Do you lot remember Evra between 2008 and 2011 (I'd include 06/07, but he really kick it up a notch after that season)? That was absolutely fecking mental. I just cannot see a point in Cole's career whereby he has provided that sort of contribution in attack and defence at the same time.

That 08/09 season is the best season from a full back in a full season that I've seen. Pretty much guaranteed an 8/10 performance every game at least. It was mad.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
In my opinion he is the best Full Back I have seen at the club. Absolutely epitomized the moniker Mr. Consistency. I am really struggling to think of him playing badly. Amazing with both feet, defensively sound, great going forward, deadly from set plays the list just goes on. Kind if underrated as he was not really a fashionable player and didn't attract (nor seek) any kind of publicity. Alongside Scholes and Charlton as the ultimate professional really.

AKDevil

Cole is a damn good left back but his media personality has gained him a huge publicity that has allowed him to be seen. Irwin never had that platform, nor did he crave it, or he would have been rated far much higher around the world. Look at how overrated Carlos was - simply because he was Brazilian, scored that riduculous goal, and had a huge public profile.
Now this, I like.
Carlos was massively overrated. Not the greatest defender but was quick and strong for his size so able to handle the inevitable physical situation he got himself in to when his position got him in trouble and he had to speed back in to position.
Another thing that annoyed me was him being considered a f-k expert to rival Becks coz he scored one worldy f-k.
Our boy was in a totally different f-k league

grahamo

I was just browsing devilish's either/or thread and it seems that Irwin gets the nod over Gary Neville by most of the posters. Although Gaz was a fantastic player, the result wouldn't be surprising for anyone who remembers Irwin's performances for us.

In my view he was a world-class player. He had everything a full-back should have: solid in the tackle, read the game well, positional sense was spot on, he was quick and a good crosser. He also took a mean peno & was handy at free kicks.

If he had been Italian people would have creamed themselves over him.
And to think SAF only paid about 600k for him. What a bargain

kiristao

He is Goa, India right now along with the premiership trophy at a Youth festival. Too bad I cant get in because you need to be in college to get an entry to the event.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
He is Goa, India right now along with the premiership trophy at a Youth festival. Too bad I cant get in because you need to be in college to get an entry to the event.
At least one of us gets their hands on the league ha....Should try! Denis is very approachable! Lovely guy! Always stops for a chat!

On the subject, an exceptional player, to the point where if he gave the ball away, it was a terrible game for him. He was so good that you just expected him to be have a good game

Ixion

A great player and United legend. One moment that I think speaks volumes about him is when he was sent off against Liverpool which meant he would miss the F.A. Cup final, and even though it was never a sending off and a disgrace of a decision he just took it like a man and walked off, no drama or arguing.

Bloody Revisionism, we all wanted him sold every season he was here.
This just isn't true.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Best left back and right back that every played for Sir Alex.
Quite simply the most consistent and selfless player I've ever seen. Looked like an accountant and played the game so effortlessly that most people failed to notice how bloody good he was.

savais

I still remember when he joined wolves...and he was about to face ronaldo....I expected him to be given the runaround...but ronaldo hardly had a kick