How good was Robin van Persie?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yep, another one of them threads from me, but I just seen his quotes in the Sanchez thread and it made me think that the only place where he's welcome is Feyenoord and Manchester United - which is quite sad for a player who had immense ability.

On his day, he could turn a player inside out. He wasn't blessed with great pace but he always seemed to be quicker and faster than other players. His footballing aptitude was through the fecking roof.

The man literally had it all ability wise and I'm glad he came to United.

Where do you rate RvP in terms of ability?

And @Henrik Larsson's post says it all..

Same game/goal ratio for the Dutch NT as Ruud, despite being used out wide nearly 40% of the time. That's one of the most flattering statistics I can find.

Such a sublime footballer when he was 18 years old. Showing some amazing things for Feyenoord against teams like Inter, Rangers and Dortmund in their legendary UEFA Cup win.

Loved how bitter Arsenal fans were when he left, fecking hypocrite cnuts. At Feyenoord he played in a bigger stadium than Highbury and won bigger trophies than he ever did at Arsenal. Arsenal robbed Feyenoord of their best talent in 50 years, paying absolutely peanuts for him and they didn't do shit when Feyenoord nearly went bankrupt. Yet their fans still have the cheek to criticise him when he made the move to United, while in reality the difference between United and Arsenal at the time was as big as the difference between Barcelona and Valencia.

Just like Arjen Robben, he was almost literally injured 50% of the time during the first 10 years of his career. According to RVP himself 75% of those injuries were impact injuries (whereas Robben mostly had muscle problems). Seen him being kicked to shreds so many times when he was just getting into great form, from Chiellini killing his ankle in a friendly against Italy up until that Olympiakos match under Moyes, where he scored a hattrick and then got his meniscus wrecked by a player who was a little too late.

All in all still had a couple of tremendous goalscoring seasons, finished all time top scorer of the Netherlands and played a (incredibly frustrating) World Cup final. Won a European trophy in the city he was born playing for the club where he went through the youth ranks. Even won a trophy with Arsenal. And of course will be forever be remembered for his sublime form in Ferguson's last season./QUOTE]

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
For me he was, at his peak (2010 - 2013) the perfect modern centre-forward. Shame it didn't last as long as it might have due to injuries. On the pitch during that period he was a manager's dream I'd say, easily the equal of, say, Lewandowski.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm sure Arsenal fans will remember him for his injuries, I'll always remember him as the Arsenal player who we bought to win us the league and then did nothing else (though Fergie retirement was probably down to that)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Promising talent -> perennial sick note -> finally got over injuries -> one of the best strikers in the game -> moved to United -> one fantastic season -> prematurely over the hill.
I think that pretty much covers it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
though Fergie retirement was probably down to that
I think there were some signs in the second half of 12/13 that he was beginning to decline. He joined us right at the top of his peak I think.

IAmAWinner

No way he actually said that lol.

He had 2 world class seasons, sadly we didn't see more from him because of the injuries. But he always has a special place in my heart.

SATA

He was brilliant. I just wished he had two more years playing at his peak with Fergie, he basically came to United just to play for the great man and win trophies

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
What about the medical facilities you *******!

This transfer still annoys me. Still our fault for not surrounding him with better players though.

Paxi

Promising talent -> perennial sick note -> finally got over injuries -> one of the best strikers in the game -> moved to United -> one fantastic season -> prematurely over the hill.
He was a class talent. A bit petulant in his youth. Injuries definitely ruined his career though, as a whole. What could have been etc.

On form one of the best strikers to grace the PL for me, without a doubt.

AshRK

He was our best signing in recent year. Top top player signed from our rivals. Sad he didn't get a proper send off. Also, unfortunate Sir alex immediately retired the next season. Those two deserved to have at least 2 seasons together. No doubt RVP was shocked when he heard sir alex is retiring. Doubt he would have joined us if he had known that beforehand. Anyways one of my favorite united player.

Ps. He was this good.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure I agree with what he’s saying. He could have had a mini Henry-like legacy at Arsenal, a great club where he was captain and which was his home for so long, but now he’s not welcome there anymore (his own words apparently) and he gave it all up for one league title. I think that would hurt me more than not having won a league title, but of course I don’t have the mind of a professional competitive football player.

He was one of the best in the game at his peak, but he rapidly declined after that unfortunately.

Paxi

For me he was, at his peak (2010 - 2013) the perfect modern centre-forward. Shame it didn't last as long as it might have due to injuries. On the pitch during that period he was a manager's dream I'd say, easily the equal of, say, Lewandowski.

He was better than Lewa in his pomp. Lewandowski can only imagine the creativity RvP had. As he said. He saw himself as a nine and half.

Paxi

Not sure I agree with what he’s saying. He could have had a mini Henry-like legacy at Arsenal, a great club where he was captain and which was his home for so long, but now he’s not welcome there anymore (his own words apparently) and he gave it all up for one league title. I think that would hurt me more than not having won a league title, but of course I don’t have the mind of a professional competitive football player.

He was one of the best in the game at his peak, but he rapidly declined after that unfortunately.
He's not welcome, they call him a rapist at emirates. Unless I read you wrong. If so then sorry.

rampo

One of the best strikers to have played in the league and for United.

In his last season for Arsenal and first season for us, you just knew that he was going to score whenever he shifted the ball to his left. And yet there was nothing the defenders or GK could do

That Rooney ball over the top and RVP's first time strike with his left foot is an image that will stay forever in my mind

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In his Arsenal days he was a talent that couldn't stay fit for long enough. At United he was the perfect storm. Stayed fit, had players around him that knew how to use him and finally, he was literally at his absolute peak of abilities. He was an expert marksman and that was an understatement.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Peak RVP in our side and we'd kick ass this season.

DDG
Valencia - Smalling - Jones - Shaw
Matic - Pogba
Alexis - Jessi - Martial
RVP​

SATA

One of the best strikers to have played in the league and for United.

In his last season for Arsenal and first season for us, you just knew that he was going to score whenever he shifted the ball to his left. And yet there was nothing the defenders or GK could do

That Rooney ball over the top and RVP's first time strike with his left foot is an image that will stay forever in my mind
The goal at Upton Park against West Ham in the FA Cup was better. I think it was Giggsy who passed it to him and he controlled it superbly before finishing off with his right foot :drool:

Paxi

I just loved his guile. He made me enjoy watching his movement on and off the ball etc. Such a wonderful player.

He was like Bergkamp and RvN rolled into one.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Did he feck say that.

Varun

Staff

He wouldn't have any way of knowing Sir Alex would retire just a year later. Sir Alex even publicly said that he was sorry for the guys who had joined thinking he'd be there. If RVP had known it was just going to be a 1 season thing, would he have still come?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was a class talent. A bit petulant in his youth. Injuries definitely ruined his career though, as a whole. What could have been etc.

On form one of the best strikers to grace the PL for me, without a doubt.
He was absolutely outrageous in his last season or so for Arsenal, once he finally got injury free. This is still IMO one of the best PL goals I've ever seen.

With the benefit of hindisght, I'd say he was already in decline (albeit only slightly past his peak) during his first season at United but still one of the best strikers to play for us.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Even though I think many Dutch fans might disagree due to his injury record and at times polarizing character (at least that's how it at times came across in the press - i.e. conflicts with fellow Dutchies on the national team) - I consider him to be one of the all-time greats, not specifically as a CF but rather as a highly skilled tecnically gifted player we don't often see.

Unfortunately injuries prevented him from becoming a true mainstay like Robben for example who seemingly just bounced back from every nick he had and clearly has had the luxury too of truly making his position his own. We can all remember the many times when RvP literally made a fool of other players with his footwork, control,, vision and catapult like release. When you look at how much he was injured and played out of the CF position before it become his, he truly has some amazing stats but unfortunately for him he was neither able to win a major international cup or a CL. I, as I am sure most of you think he could ve fired us to CL glory if Real hadn't gotten in the way and that Nani red card wasn't given.

On the flip side - he is part of a generation of Dutch players that lacked some of the serious star power of the generation that came before it - Sneijder, Robben and RvP and to a lesser degree guys like Huntelaar and Van der Vaart I think papered over the cracks we now see there. In other words, did he look better than he really was? In terms of the PL is he a legend? I'd say yes - globally? Not sure. Was a Van Basten, Kluivert, Cruijf, Van Nistelrooy great for the Dutch, or more along the lines of a Huntelaar, Makaay and Kuyt, or somewhere in between? (and I'm obviously looking past his scoring record for them)

Last edited:

goons

Supports
Arsenal
He was a great player. Injuried a lot though.

As for the quote no-one is stupid enough to believe he actually said that, right? It's quite amazing how ppl swallow any bullshit that's posted by nobodys on twitter these days.

Blue always red

Peak RVP in our side and we'd kick ass this season.

DDG
Valencia - Smalling - Jones - Shaw
Matic - Pogba
Alexis - Jessi - Martial
RVP​
What a fooking team this would be! On another note, his goal against Villa is the best I've seen at OT. Didn't quite have the impact that Rooney's overhead kick did, but nonetheless it was so much more pleasing on the eye, from the pass to the finish.

rampo

The goal at Upton Park against West Ham in the FA Cup was better. I think it was Giggsy who passed it to him and he controlled it superbly before finishing off with his right foot :drool:
Yes, the first touch and ball control during that goal were amazing too. But then there is something majestic about first time strikes :)

Paxi

He was absolutely outrageous in his last season or so for Arsenal, once he finally got injury free. This is still IMO one of the best PL goals I've ever seen.

With the benefit of hindisght, I'd say he was already in decline during his first season at United but still a fantastic striker.
Yeah, that season at Arsenal he was phenomenal. I'd say throughout his career he showed his quality at times. Just the outrageous strikes from impossible angles. One goal where he curled one in where it hit the post from a position a player has no right to score. It's a pity regarding his injuries.

Kazi

I’d take his prime over Lewandowski’s, Falcao’s & Cavani’s

Torres’ is a toss up

I’d have to give the edge to Suarez’s prime though

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Suprised he would say that about United. He has been at Arsenal for most of his career. Saying everything is better at United is like a mom telling their son/daughter that they are ugly as sin.

ash_86

His finishing was something else, right at the top corner either side. Absolutely clinical player!

Paxi

For me the only more complete centre forward in PL history is Henry if you just look at it from Henry's best season and RvP's.

Canagel

Technically he was one of the most gifted strikers I've ever seen. If it weren't for his injuries he would've got close to Shearer's record. Him being Fergie's last big signing and winning us trophy number 20 wearing the number 20 shirt was a fairytale story. He stayed at Arsenal for too long IMO. A player of his qualities should have more trophies to his name.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Had an unbelievably high peak which many players failed to reach, technically brilliant and GOAT level left peg, shame injuries held him back a bit. Imo top 10 PL player.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In his Arsenal days he was a talent that couldn't stay fit for long enough. At United he was the perfect storm. Stayed fit, had players around him that knew how to use him and finally, he was literally at his absolute peak of abilities. He was an expert marksman and that was an understatement.
His last year at Arsenal was even better than the first United one, if we're talking about his performance level. Even though of course winning the league (and scoring that screamer against Villa) made his first year with us even more magical and memorable.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The all round complete centre forward

Best no.9 in the world at his peak a joy to watch