How good were Xavi and Iniesta pre-Guardiola?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Xavi was always being linked with moves away. His passing was always ridiculously highly rated even in video games pre Pep which is a decent indication that he already had some rep as an incredible passer but I genuinely think without Pep he'd never have got close to GOAT status .. he would still be remembered as one of the worlds best but definitely below a Pirlo and not an era defining mid.
I remember a thread on xtratime forum (I think) back in 2007 where football fans were discussing who the best midfielder in the world is. The general consensus was Pirlo. There were some mentions of Xavi, as there were some mentions of Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard and even Fabregas. However, Pirlo was wildly recognized as the best in the world.

It was Euro 2008 and the subsequent Spanish and Barcelona domination that changed everything. Xavi went from being one of the best midfielders in the world, to one of the best of all time.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Cant speak highly enough about Iniesta but am I the only one who thinks Xavi isnt really all that? Boring to watch and played it far too safe for my liking. Bit like Cleverley :nervous:

Maybe I have a blind spot with deep lying playmakers as I dont really rate Alonso either. Give me Carrick any day.

Can anyone help me appreciate Xavi?
It's pretty simple. Playing Xavi gives a 100% guarantee of controlling the midfield in every game, no matter the opposition. The only player I've ever seen who literally couldn't be forced into making a mistake.

I don't think any player has ever been as reliable as him at every level.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's pretty simple. Playing Xavi gives a 100% guarantee of controlling the midfield in every game, no matter the opposition. The only player I've ever seen who literally couldn't be forced into making a mistake.

I have never seen a midfielder impact a match like prime Xavi did.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cant speak highly enough about Iniesta but am I the only one who thinks Xavi isnt really all that? Boring to watch and played it far too safe for my liking. Bit like Cleverley :nervous:

Maybe I have a blind spot with deep lying playmakers as I dont really rate Alonso either. Give me Carrick any day.

There's probably never been a midfield unit that dominated their opponents as consistently and completely as that Barca and Spain midfield, and Xavi was the kingpin of the entire system. He's also notched 29 assists in a season, so they can't all have been safe passes. I understand that his style of play mightn't be to everyone's tastes aesthetically, but he really was all that. Unfortunately in some regards, as we might be 2 CLs better off otherwise :mad:

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Cant speak highly enough about Iniesta but am I the only one who thinks Xavi isn't really all that? Boring to watch and played it far too safe for my liking. Bit like Cleverley :nervous:

Apart from the fact that Cleverley is miles behind Xavi when it comes to passing range, positional sense, off the ball movement, awareness of teammates's position, that ability to almost always pass to the strong foot of the teammates and overall technical perfection whether his cushion first touch or turn the defenders on wrong side or his exquisite ball control and most importantly the overall understanding when to play a risky pass, and when to prioritize ball retention.
Well anyways, if you cannot appreciate Xavi, than nobody can help you.
There is only one quote of Johan Cruyff, I have to show you:

Soccer is simple, but it is difficult to play simple.

Anyways for the OP: Xavi was always an established part of Barcelona, he was a replacement of Pep himself in Barcelona, and was always among the top player for Barcelona, although his injury in 2005/06, did hurt his standing, form and overall confidence.
Xavi went from many changes from being a deep lying playmaker to a holding midfielder to a more attacking midfielder before Pep, but his role always remained constant, he was the reset button of Barcelona.
People forget the role Xavi had in the Ronaldinho Barca, when he was placed higher up the pitch, until his injury, he was arguably their second best player. Xavi was always rated highly by purist, but it was Pep and Luis Aragonés systems, where his full potential was exploited to built one of the greatest team of all time, with him being the fulcrum of the team.

Iniesta well, he was always going to be a star, with or without Pep.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I believe Xavi pre Pep was rated below Pirlo (one or a half level). And I think Marcos Senna in Euro 2008 was given more credits than Xavi.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Xavi was so fecking press-resistant, it was unreal.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's interesting to acknowledge that Iniesta was 24 when Guardiola became coach. By normal standards one should be a relatively established player at that age.
Pep took over in 2008-2009
2004-2005 Iniesta played 37 out of 38 la liga games and 46 games overall
2005-2006 Iniesta played 33 out of 38 la liga games and 49 games overall
2006-2007 Iniesta played 37 out of 38 la liga games and 56 games overall
2007-2008 Iniesta played 31 out of 38 la liga games and 49 games overall

He already had over 20 caps for spain and a European Championship win with Spain (and yes he started in the final) plus he had 2 la liga medals and a cl medal as well

He may have inproved further under Pep but its pure fiction to pretend he was not relatively established by the time pep took over

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

He already had over 20 caps for spain and a European Championship win with Spain (and yes he started in the final) plus he had 2 la liga medals and a cl medal as well

He may have inproved further under Pep but its pure fiction to pretend he was not relatively established by the time pep took over
That does put things in perspective for me, I didn't know Iniesta already played that much pre-Guardiola.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Bloody hell, you talk more rubbish than the other trump :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

How many of those were starts? He was more of a talented utility player for most of that time. IIRC, he was growing into more of a first teamer in Rijkaards last season, as deco began to wane.

matbezlima

He is not as flashy and skilled as Iniesta, tough still has great awareness of the pitch and how to use the own body to free himself of the defenders and find better space to pass the ball. Xavi was a master of controlling the game and knew when to make the safe pass pass and the risky pass. And Xavi was truly a pass master, he made many fantastic passes, probably the greatest ground passed in football history, I consider Pirlo the best in aerial passes, tough make no mistake, Xavi was still truly great in the aerial, long passes.

Despite not being as flashy as Iniesta, if you look to stats of Xavi and Iniesta in Transfermarket, Xavi actually beats Iniesta by a fair margin in the stats, both of goals and assists, specially impressive considering how Xavi usually played a little deeper than Iniesta. There is someone who said that comparing Xavi and Iniesta is like comparing Lamborghini or Ferrari, they do fantastically well the same thing, but in slightly different ways. Below, you can see all the details about their stats as you want.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/vergleich/spielervergleich/statistik/def/spieler/7607&7600

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just hijacking this thread massively but don’t think this is deserving of its own thread.

But for every three league games Pique has played for Barcelona, he has a cap for Spain. Is this absolutely insane to anyone else?

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Just hijacking this thread massively but don’t think this is deserving of its own thread.

But for every three league games Pique has played for Barcelona, he has a cap for Spain. Is this absolutely insane to anyone else?
Sergio Ramos is at 161 caps and 415 league games for Madrid.

In fairness, with the sheer number of internationals being played, you'd probably be able to find more players with similar ratios.

RochaRoja

They were 8 or 9 out of 10s pre-Pep and became 10/10 under him.

Probably his greatest strength as a manager is to polish already excellent players into the very best.

Cait Sith

You don't need to watch a lot to get a grasp how good they were before Pep.

For Iniesta I recommend the CL 2006 final when he came on at half time as a 21 year old to dictate the whole game from deep.

For Xavi you can watch the Euro 2008 final.

Pep brought discipline to Barca at a time when Rijkaard had no control over the locker room but he didn't make these players. Plus Messi came into his own and left his injuries behind.

Ekeke

Iniesta would come off the bench for Deco and have an impact and look like he should be starting. And then he didnt, it was Deco again

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Easy

Xavi: youth-system darling already in the Van Gaal era (97-00), Liga 98-99 champion, major star of the 04-05 Liga, injured yet winner of La Liga 05-06 and UCL 2006, champion of the 2008 Euro as the major star-best player.

Iniesta: same as Xavi but his journey started in 2003, Edmilson-Deco kept him in the bench for most of 2006-08. I suspect Rijkaard never fully believed in him, or saw the flaws that were most evident in 2013-2018.

The merit of Guardiola was creating the "Busquets (his creation)-Xavi-Iniesta-Messi diamond attack" (with two reluctant CF playing as "false wingers", until the eclosion of Pedro, which was an actual winger, and Alexis, who failed-Pep always wanted Ribéry to begin with).

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wasn't Xavi getting a bit of stick from Barca fans for a period?

I remember he made his debut for Barca in the first Van Gaal era in 1998 and was long established player but it was felt he never really kicked on for them until Pep came to work and lifted him to another level.

Think Puyol was another like that.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
It's all Pep.

Xavi was seen as a poor man's Charlie Adam before he took over, while Iniesta was struggling to get games for Barcelona B.

Most impressively, Pep unearthed a little known Argentinean by the name of Lionel Messi and taught him how to dribble and score goals.

Saffron

Iniesta: same as Xavi but his journey started in 2003, Edmilson-Deco kept him in the bench for most of 2006-08. I suspect Rijkaard never fully believed in him, or saw the flaws that were most evident in 2013-2018.
Just out of interest, what were those flaws?

Schneckerl

Iniesta wasn't on the bench for most of 2006 - 08. Only Puyol, Ronaldinho and Xavi had more minutes than him in 06/07 and only Xavi had more minutes in 07/08 among outfielders.

I can't believe a Barca supporter can remember that so wrong.