How important is the Europa league?

ZupZup

It's not great but I still want us to go on and win it... having a Champions League place on the line helps.

It's also very beneficial to our less experienced players giving them some valuable European football experience which will only help them when we are back in the Champions League.

tomaldinho1

The issue for me is more in it's format than the trophy itself. It's essentially the tier 2 CL but there are just too many teams, too many games and it ends up being seen as a hindrance to most clubs, especially PL teams who have the additional and completely pointless League Cup to schedule alongside the PL and FA cup.

There are 12 groups when there should be 8 and they shouldn't bother letting the CL teams drop down either - the point of the EL should be for teams who will realistically never compete in the CL but can get valuable European experience and meaningful income from a good EL run.

Bestietom

I think Winning the Europa League would be good for us, and set us up for the Champions League next season. Winning a trophy would mean a lot to the youngsters in the squad, and a european trophy would make it even sweeter.

Denis' cuff

FA cup totally lost it’s appeal for me. No longer iconic stadium, plus semis played there. Teams playing weak line ups. Even twats like lukaku couldn’t be bothered with it. Barely any better than the cola/milk/rumbelows cup. EL trophy for me these days. Also gets us in the CL. FA doesn’t. Great shame. Blame the FA. Mr fecking Bean could run the game better.

But if they rewarded FA winners with CL spot....

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
FA cup totally lost it’s appeal for me. No longer iconic stadium, plus semis played there. Teams playing weak line ups. Even twats like lukaku couldn’t be bothered with it. Barely any better than the cola/milk/rumbelows cup. EL trophy for me these days. Also gets us in the CL. FA doesn’t. Great shame. Blame the FA. Mr fecking Bean could run the game better.

But if they rewarded FA winners with CL spot....
So trophies doesnt matter more than a 5th spot?

Judas

Open to offers
The EL trophy will always be worth more on every level than finishing top 4. Imagine year after year your big moment being.....finishing 4th. That's just depressing. Rather actually win something and create some memories.

jackal&hyde

Looking at the winners of the last few years we have: Manchester United, Chelsea x2, Atletico Madrid x2, Sevilla x3 and some of the finalists are Arsenal, Ajax, Liverpool (back when Klopp was Flopp). It is in no way a poor competition to win even for a very big club especially when you are in a bit of a transitional phase with a lot of young players. I'd compare it with last 8 of the CL. The problem is, you actually have to win it, losing the final as a huge club is a bit embarrassing :lol:

Aarron Swift

England seems to be the only country that appears to look down on Europa League, for the most part, the 1, maybe 2 Away games that are really far away such a Kazakhstan are in the group stages when the teams put out are mainly fringe players who wont feature in the league games. as for the too many games arguments, its 2 games more than champions league however teams rest far more in Europa than champions league so that somewhat balances it out. The Thursday to Sunday routine must throw players for a few weeks.

Given how much of a scramble the league looks added to the unknown 5th position qualification (City could successfully appeal for all we know). Making Champions League by Winning a trophy is far better than being 2nd-4th(5th) in a league table.

For all the disrespect Europa League gets its still the 3rd biggest competition to win behind Champions League & Premier league. Above FA Cup on virtue of UCL qualification and it being a European competition over Domestic

Reactions: roonster09

Member 90887

But you need to be in it to win it.

Obviously if you knew going in to a new season that we would get knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage you'd trade it for winning the Europa League. But you never know that. You want to be in the Champions League because you believe you have some chance of winning it.

It's not about what people will remember in 10 years, it's about being in the competition right now, not knowing what the outcome will be, and cheering on your team hoping they win it.
Well, that was not the initial question.

This was the initial question.

Would you rather win the Europa league, or finish in the CL group stage?

How important is it actually? How prestigious is it?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I agree it's the 3rd most prestigious trophy but I don't like the format. It is a "Losers" competition.

Bring back the Cup Winners Cup or some form of knock out competition. That type of format allows teams that can win against anybody on their day to go through. A lot of teams fancy themselves to beat the "bigger" clubs on their day and it encourages a "giant killing" mentality. We all love that don't we?

Josep Dowling

I think it’s massive now Champions League qualification can be gained from it. It does however have an impact on league form.

In truth I would rather be in Leicester’s position not having to worry about the Europa League and being able to rest players for a full week.

We need to get our priorities set before the season. Either accept getting knocked out early and potentially being embarrassed by a small club or take it seriously. I don’t think Ole has done either this season.

cyberman

England seems to be the only country that appears to look down on Europa League, for the most part, the 1, maybe 2 Away games that are really far away such a Kazakhstan are in the group stages when the teams put out are mainly fringe players who wont feature in the league games. as for the too many games arguments, its 2 games more than champions league however teams rest far more in Europa than champions league so that somewhat balances it out. The Thursday to Sunday routine must throw players for a few weeks.

Given how much of a scramble the league looks added to the unknown 5th position qualification (City could successfully appeal for all we know). Making Champions League by Winning a trophy is far better than being 2nd-4th(5th) in a league table.

For all the disrespect Europa League gets its still the 3rd biggest competition to win behind Champions League & Premier league. Above FA Cup on virtue of UCL qualification and it being a European competition over Domestic
Italy hates it? With a passion as well

edcunited1878

Europa League is important because it's a European trophy and automatic entrance into the Champions League and UEFA Super Cup match.

Also, while I believe the FA Cup has lost a lot of appeal, it's still the largest domestic cup competition but most importantly, if you win it you are 1/3 of the way to a Treble.

There are only 7 European clubs that have won The Treble - those are all legendary sides and the pinnacle of football. So while the allure of the FA Cup has been (kind of) lost, it's importance in the grand scheme of things is enormous and is still and always will be 1/3 of the Treble.

Denis' cuff

So trophies doesnt matter more than a 5th spot?
didn’t say that, mate.

i suppose I’m just expressing my sadness the way “The Cup” has diminished, hence my last point. There’s no better feeling than winning a trophy.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Wasn't sure where to ask this, so bumping this Europa League thread.

If City's ban is up held (meaning 5th place in PL gets into CL) and you finish in top 5 and win the Europa League, does that mean whoever comes 6th also goes into CL? and then 7th and 8th go into the EL?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wasn't sure where to ask this, so bumping this Europa League thread.

If City's ban is up held (meaning 5th place in PL gets into CL) and you finish in top 5 and win the Europa League, does that mean whoever comes 6th also goes into CL? and then 7th and 8th go into the EL?
No. If EL winner is qualified through the league then that spot goes to a country a bit lower down on the coefficient rankings. That team will enter one of the earlier qualifying rounds, while some other team that was already qualified for that particular qualifying round will instead get a bye to the next round.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
No. If EL winner is qualified through the league then that spot goes to a country a bit lower down on the coefficient rankings. That team will enter one of the earlier qualifying rounds, while some other team that was already qualified for that particular qualifying round will instead get a bye to the next round.
Thank you makes perfect sense

Havak

Pokemon master
It's still struggling to have a real prestige about it, but I think it's finally growing. IMO, it needs to be a smaller competition. 160 teams from the preliminary rounds onward is just far too much. I get that it gives some smaller teams a chance to progress and gain recognition in Europe and the world, but it should be closer to the size of the Champion's League (80~ teams or so at the earliest stage).

In terms of importance, winners qualifying for the Champion's League is a huge thing. It always felt in the past that there was only four teams in England for example that had a chance of top four, sometimes five, so one team missing out that were realistically good enough but were in a league that was hugely competitive. Now that we have six, seven, even eight teams at a time in England who all seem very good, it makes sense that it is finally seen as something you need to be in if you aren't already in the Champion's League. Some kind of European football is a must for clubs like Spurs, Arsenal, ourselves more recently etc after years of qualifying for the bigger competition. Only yesteryear it was seen as a hindrance but now, it's definitely a must if you can't be in the Champion's League.

flappyjay

What they should do now is cancel the relegation of 3rd spot ucl finishers into the Europa. Europa is a lower competition for lower teams. The likes of Inter make it hard for the small teams to dream. They are just there to make up numbers and not have a realistic chance to make it to the final.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Isn't that exactly the same for teams like Celtic, Cluj or City in the Champions League?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we qualify for the CL through the league Ole should give the first team time off for the EL in August. Yes I realise that would be chucking a chance of a trophy away but we basically won't have any time off before next season of 55 to 60 games and the scousers will have had 6 weeks rest.

If you want Sancho and a title challenge next season then us playing in August for the Europa league isn't going to help us next season in the league one bit. Fatigue will kill us.

In saying that if we don't make the CL through the league we will have to go all out in the Europa no question.

Really unfair for teams still in Europe I think in terms of next season.

theklr

If we qualify for the CL through the league Ole should give the first team time off for the EL in August. Yes I realise that would be chucking a chance of a trophy away but we basically won't have any time off before next season of 55 to 60 games and the scousers will have had 6 weeks rest.

If you want Sancho and a title challenge next season then us playing in August for the Europa league isn't going to help us next season in the league one bit. Fatigue will kill us.

In saying that if we don't make the CL through the league we will have to go all out in the Europa no question.

While I agree in theory, one shouldnt underestimate the boost of winning a trophy for a «young and new» team.

romufc

I agree somewhat. If we do qualify we should not play the injury prone players. It is 3 games really. We can use it as to keep fitness for some players.

I would like to see the likes of Mengi, Garner, Laird, Williams get some game time just to see if they are capable to step up.

Nickelodeon

While I don't disagree with the fatigue element, but I feel there are merits towards going gung-ho for Europa. Firstly, it is a trophy and a European one to boot. Secondly, Europa winners don't just qualify for UCL but are seeded in Pot 1 which can be huge advantage while evaluating qualification for knockouts as well as managing fixtures for next season.

Also, as of now, City's ban hasn't been put in place and we're yet to break into top 4. So Europa remains quite pivotal to us.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why would people not want to win trophies?

This is why people who support smaller clubs hate people that support bigger clubs sometimes.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

This is why people who support smaller clubs hate people that support bigger clubs sometimes.
This! What on earth! Time off?! They just had 3 months off.

It would essentially be 3 wins from a major trophy so we go for it, full team, then we get 2 weeks off before the league restart anyway.

Eire Red United

I think it’s massive now Champions League qualification can be gained from it. It does however have an impact on league form.

In truth I would rather be in Leicester’s position not having to worry about the Europa League and being able to rest players for a full week.

We need to get our priorities set before the season. Either accept getting knocked out early and potentially being embarrassed by a small club or take it seriously. I don’t think Ole has done either this season.
Think Ole has taken it as seriously as realistically possible, got through the group and walked over that LASK team in the knockout round. I’d love to win the EL and FA Cup this year.

ninjaskill

Given the first team will be no where near the lask game I think go for it. A maximum of three games and a chance to win a trophy. If they were sticking with two legs for the quarters and semis then I wouldn’t mind not going for it but with only three games I think it’s worth trying to win.

Rish Sawhney

The pot 1 seed is very important for next years CL if we can get it. So no even if we get it through the league we should be going all out to win the EL.

El Zoido

While I agree in theory, one shouldnt underestimate the boost of winning a trophy for a «young and new» team.
Ole will also desperately want a trophy on his CV. Reckon Chelsea will put us out the FA Cup.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Regardless of CL qualification for the winner the Europa/UEFA Cup is a major trophy. Sometimes it’s the start of a team that will be a future force in Europe and sometimes it’s a way back for teams that have lost their way a bit. The experience of playing on the continent can never be played down specifically for teams on the up.

romufc

Ole will also desperately want a trophy on his CV. Reckon Chelsea will put us out the FA Cup.
I can see Chelsea putting us out. The pre game will be built up with how Ole has had the better of Frank. This will be a totally different game with rotations and Chelsea have a better squad,.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

True. This unnecessary arrogance displayed by fans of bigger teams in regard to competitions like the Europa and co is just so bizarre.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
While I don't disagree with the fatigue element, but I feel there are merits towards going gung-ho for Europa. Firstly, it is a trophy and a European one to boot. Secondly, Europa winners don't just qualify for UCL but are seeded in Pot 1 which can be huge advantage while evaluating qualification for knockouts as well as managing fixtures for next season.

Also, as of now, City's ban hasn't been put in place and we're yet to break into top 4. So Europa remains quite pivotal to us.
We will know about City by this time next week. The verdict is the 14th I think.

If we qualify for the CL in the league I think having time off will be better for our chances next season than aiming to win a trophy that won't get us anything we don't already have.

You watch everyone whinge at Ole next March when our players are dead on their feet and Liverpool Coast to retain the title.

degea_s_fringe

Win it. If it stops the bin dippers saying they are the most sucessful english club, it's worth it for that alone.

Nickelodeon

We will know about City by this time next week. The verdict is the 14th I think.

If we qualify for the CL in the league I think having time off will be better for our chances next season than aiming to win a trophy that won't get us anything we don't already have.

You watch everyone whinge at Ole next March when our players are dead on their feet and Liverpool Coast to retain the title.
No one will whinge on this topic. Europa is not Carabao cup. Also, it's just 3 games at max. Not counting return leg vs LASK as that's definitely one for the kids. Winning a trophy can only improve morale within the squad.