How important is the Europa league?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Would you rather win the Europa league, or finish in the CL group stage?

How important is it actually? How prestigious is it?

flappyjay

I would rather win the trophy to be honest. I think for English clubs(top 6) it has gained more relevance because of the ucl qualification. It's no surprise that English clubs have taken it so seriously over the past few years

Relevated

I would rather win the trophy to be honest. I think for English clubs(top 6) it has gained more relevance because of the ucl qualification. It's no surprise that English clubs have taken it so seriously over the past few years
How is it viewed in other countries?

CodeRed

We won the Europa league final which i was there i have to say :). However i didn't feel anything. Even though i was happy Zlatan won a final with us and we got a trophy.

However the final is just before the champions league. If we got a champions league spot before final whistle of the last premieship game then i'll be glad.....even though its been a shocking season.

Any trophy after that is like....well a bonus. Lets get 4th place done first.

USREDEVIL

So for you it's worthless, right?
I only really value it for getting into the Champion's League. There's no question it's a tournament for the second class of football clubs. Being Manchester United we really should be in the Champion's League. If i supported West Ham or Everton I'd be far more impressed with winning it. Still, it's nice to win a tournament as it means we beat everyone in front of us (more or less).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Finish in the CL group stage, do you mean come 4th in your CL group? Because that sounds miserable. If thats what you mean, I'll take EL victories every year.

Seano_thegr81

I would rather champions league qualification. CL is what gets players interested in joining the club, and god knows we need good players.

Relevated

Finish in the CL group stage, do you mean come 4th in your CL group? Because that sounds miserable. If thats what you mean, I'll take EL victories every year.
Why? To finish below in the CL group would still mean you finished ahead of and are better than the Europa league winner. It's a losers tournament. It's so depressing that we have to settle for it

I remember when Liverpool first played in it a good few years back. Joke of the nation they were

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why? To finish below in the CL group would still mean you finished ahead of and are better than the Europa league winner. It's a losers tournament. It's so depressing that we have to settle for it

I remember when Liverpool first played in it a good few years back. Joke of the nation they were
Well if you finish last in the group, for a club like Manchester United that is nothing short of colossal failure and everyone would be depressed, since presumably you will have lost most of your matches.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I don't follow the logic, since the third team in your group will play the Europa League then surely you finished below the Europa League winner, if you are the fourth?

stepic

yeah finishing fourth in the group stage is a bad comparison.

the better question is whether losing in the first knock out round of the cl is better than winning the europa league. Which it is.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like it. You only get to win one of two European trophies a year (not including the Super Cup). I rank it above domestic cups.

stepic

I like it. You only get to win one of two European trophies a year (not including the Super Cup). I rank it above domestic cups.
the FA Cup is more prestigious than the Europa League.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s a fun trophy, with different teams. To win it, we would need to beat some very good teams along the way.

I have always liked it as a tournament and the closer we get to the final, the more I will want to win it.

Winning a trophy is always a good thing and it happens to be the one we are in this year. I would much rather win the Europa League than get knocked out in the round of 16 every year.

I only really want to be in the CL if there is a chance we could win it.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I prefer we are in EL this year and not CL because realistically we have better chance to win EL and go all in for CL next year. And its always fun to win trophies than get knocked out in CL quarter.

And i much rather win EL than FA cup or Carabao. EL trophy also get a shout on super cup which is a plus too.

Reactions: Invictus

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We won the Europa league final which i was there i have to say :). However i didn't feel anything. Even though i was happy Zlatan won a final with us and we got a trophy.

However the final is just before the champions league. If we got a champions league spot before final whistle of the last premieship game then i'll be glad.....even though its been a shocking season.

Any trophy after that is like....well a bonus. Lets get 4th place done first.
I'd probably stay at home next time then. It's still a great trophy to win, no European competition is easy.

Josh 76

There are only 2 trophies that matter nowadays. The PL and CL. Sad but true.

stepic

Not for me. European trophies over domestic ones is how I view it.
CL yeah. the Europa is a shite second grade bullshit trophy for second grade clubs. It’s literally made up of teams who either aren’t good enough to qualify for the cl or aren’t good enough to progress in the cl. Why would anyone be happy with winning that? Making it to the knock out rounds of the CL is by its very nature a better result. at least the fa cup is a competition with all the best possible clubs that are able to compete in it.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone who says they’d rather qualify through the league is missing something big. Winning Europa gets you 1st seed along with League winners and Cl winners. It’s a huge advantage over finishing 2nd-4th. Also you get a decent cup run and good away days for the fans. I’d take Europa route every day of the week.

Okey

I've never really understood the lowly value placed on the Europa league in England. Even elite countries like Italy and Spain value it higher, at least going from their media. It's a European trophy. Maybe I just like winning stuff but I'd rather win that, thank you. And now it even comes with champions league qualification! Case strengthened.

Okey

Another baffler is the 'playing on Thursday and Sunday' malarkey. It's like a cliche that's caught on without much thought. Champions league teams play Wednesday and Saturday. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Is there something about Thursday or Sunday I don't know?

acnumber9

Another baffler is the 'playing on Thursday and Sunday' malarkey. It's like a cliche that's caught on without much thought. Champions league teams play Wednesday and Saturday. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Is there something about Thursday or Sunday I don't know?
It’s always at most a 3 day gap. Champions League could play Tuesday or they could play on the Sunday. There will be times it’s only a three day break but at most every other game.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a bit of a cliche but there is some truth in it. Not to do with the rest days though. Europa league has further afield teams in it (Russia, Kazakh etc) so the journeys are a bit longer potentially + the sides involved aren’t usually big sides so the quality of the squad is lower which has an effect with either rotation or fatigue. Europa league hangover is definitely a real thing but it’s not due to playing Thursday-Sunday.

Okey

It’s a bit of a cliche but there is some truth in it. Not to do with the rest days though. Europa league has further afield teams in it (Russia, Kazakh etc) so the journeys are a bit longer potentially + the sides involved aren’t usually big sides so the quality of the squad is lower which has an effect with either rotation or fatigue. Europa league hangover is definitely a real thing but it’s not due to playing Thursday-Sunday.
Good point. Never thought of it that way. When I hear it said, always sounds like it's about the 3 day gap.

OleGunnar20

It’s a fun trophy, with different teams. To win it, we would need to beat some very good teams along the way.

I have always liked it as a tournament and the closer we get to the final, the more I will want to win it.

Winning a trophy is always a good thing and it happens to be the one we are in this year. I would much rather win the Europa League than get knocked out in the round of 16 every year.

I only really want to be in the CL if there is a chance we could win it.
Same here actually, I don't really get why people look down on it.

99% of football clubs couldn't dream of lifting such a competitive trophy, who are we to be so entitled as to turn out noses up at it. I mean, we're in it for good reason - that's been about our level, pretty consistently for years now.

I want us to win any trophy we compete for and feel excited at the prospect of doing so every year, no matter how dire the season. Sooner we're back in with a shot at the CL the better, but in the meantime sure I'd take EL above top four.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

So question is whether you want to win Europa or knock out in CL group stage?

If that's the case it's easy, winning Europa league as which competition we enter is based on previous season results. This season team can win Europa league + finish in top 4 of their league.

TheRedHearted

It seems our club only signs players after we play them so the more we play in Europa- the more talent our precious scouts will see!

Nickelodeon

It’s nothing for major clubs except a route to CL. As a United fan, counting Europa as a trophy is tainted due to it being a result of being outside the top 4. For lower tier clubs (clubs with no title aspirations in major leagues like Sevilla or clubs from smaller leagues with no shot at CL), it is a good trophy to have in the clubs cabinet.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If you're playing in the competition you should take it seriously. From the next round onwards there's good money in it from a club that's United's size, it's the 2nd biggest trophy you can win assuming you can't win the CL and the co-efficient matters since you'd much rather be 2nd seed than 3rd in the CL.

theklr

Anyone who says they’d rather qualify through the league is missing something big. Winning Europa gets you 1st seed along with League winners and Cl winners. It’s a huge advantage over finishing 2nd-4th. Also you get a decent cup run and good away days for the fans. I’d take Europa route every day of the week.
Wow , didnt know that , that is a huge advantage.

Id take CL group participation any day of the week though. And EL>FA cup

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For clubs that can spend >40million on a player it's a consolation prize, for clubs that can't it's great.

If Feyenoord would somehow ever win it, I would tear down my house.

Ps: the 40m figure is arbitrary.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I've never really understood the lowly value placed on the Europa league in England. Even elite countries like Italy and Spain value it higher, at least going from their media. It's a European trophy. Maybe I just like winning stuff but I'd rather win that, thank you. And now it even comes with champions league qualification! Case strengthened.
Italy has been worse than england actually

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Italy has been worse than england actually
I seem to remember a journalist ranting about it on an italian show a long time ago, he was upset about the fact that Italian clubs had no respect or interest for the UEFA cup.