How long will Pep and Klopp stay at City and Liverpool?

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
The german NT job is pretty much Klopp's if he ever wants it and I think that might be one of the few offers that would interest him (eventually).
I think managing talented German NT and having shot at world cup which can cement a manager's legacy will undoubtedly be appeal to any manager. But i think klopp knows his methods and style of play needs time to coach. He cant teach german team to press as good as liverpool by just having 1-2 months worth of sessions in a year.

It took him 2 years to teach liverpool to do good press and i think he will get it as close to perfect as possible this year. Thats 4 seasons to see team press the way he wants them to and he only added 6 starters to the team he inherited. Also problem with managing national teams is that players change constantly based on their form so you dont get to work with same set every month or so. Usually when NT managers plan for longer term, they see out older players one by one giving them honor of respectful retirement instead of sidelining all of them at sane time (as they cant push out old guard in one go) while adding potential(young players) to the team and stick with them even when they dont play that good.

All these things are polar opposite to how klopp have managed teams and i believe the way he wish to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theonas

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I want them to stay as long as they can in EPL. You want the best manager in the league to improve the quality of the games.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
I just can't see Pep leaving after this season. He signed a contract extension last summer until 20/21, and with his friends like Txiki and Soriano here at City, I doubt he'll walk away mid contract.

AshRK

I expect Pep to take over Qatar for the 2022 World Cup. So he will probably have to go there at least one year in advance. Assuming that he needs to take another sabbatical, I expect this to be his last season.
Unless FIFA allows Qatar to get players from other countries I cannot see Pep taking such job. His next job will be Juve or PSG.

Red4Life_#7

Pep will want to win a bit more with City while waiting for an opening at Juve, so he is guaranteed another Domestic title... if that doesn't happen then expect him to go to PSG for 2 seasons.

Hulksmash

Klopp Just said he's gone at the end of his contract in Liverpool and he will take a break( Kicker )

Hopefully both walk away earlier, they make the league a borefest

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Klopp Just said he's gone at the end of his contract in Liverpool and he will take a break( Kicker )

He was supposed to take a 12 month break after he left Dortmund, but ended up managing us a couple of months later. I think he's just leaving his options open. I'd be quite shocked if he built up a side capable of winning top honours season after season & then just walked away from it because he wanted a rest. Didn't Ferguson plan to retire quite a few years earlier than he actually did ? Football is a drug for these type of people. They can't get enough of it.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Pep gone: first season without the PL nor the UCL, he would leave (not sacked). But he will stay as long as he keeps winning the PL.

Klopp gone: three consecutive years trophyless + second/third year struggling to even finish 4th.

Conclusion: Klopp is more likely to stay for at least 3-4 more years.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Pep's contract runs out 2021 and Klopps 2022. Based on their careers to date I'll be surprised if either extend much, if at all, beyond their current contracted dates. I think this is a hot topic at the moment because people can't see beyond either City or Liverpool winning trophies while they're both at the helm.

Both will be very difficult to follow. Whilst they don't have the longevity of Fergie's empire or the dynasty that Shankly and Paisley built its a different world where managing a top club for more than 3 years is a considerable feat and time span. Especially if the end doesn't come about because of a sacking.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

He didn't say at the end of his current contract, he said he'll take a year out when he leaves Liverpool. So it depends on whether he feels he needs a break then, or a couple years later or whatever. Although it would not surprise me if it is in 2022 at the end of this deal.

This is not new news though, he's said this more than once in the last couple years, as it's a promise he made to his wife and sons - that he'll actually take a full year out this time when he leaves there.

Not sure how Klopp makes it a borefest, I kinda get that City do a bit due to their un-ending spending, plus the rumours of FFP wrongdoings, and a lot of people aren't into Pep's robo-football, but Klopp is just doing a really good job with Liverpool, and surely its up to clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs to raise to that level. He isn't doing anything against the rules after all :D

Chairman Steve

I’ve always thought Guardiola would leave seconds after winning a Champions League, as he can leave on the peak and not risk tarnishing this perfect CV he wants to build up for whatever reason and not risk being part of a slump. I think not winning the Champions League at Bayern irks him.

Klopp will probably stay at least another two years if he continues on the way he’s doing, but god knows in football. He spent the first half of his final season at Dortmund in the bottom half and was dead last at the half way point. Imagine if he hit that level of form with Liverpool?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
They're both going to be a SAF length at their respective clubs. Klopp and Guardiola will significantly catch up to our trophy haul while we become the next Aston Villa. The only we can stop that is if we sign a ST, RW, CB, LB, RM, LM, CAM, #9, #10 and hire Pochettino, a DoF, and a new owner.

fergiesarmy1

They're both going to be a SAF length at their respective clubs. Klopp and Guardiola will significantly catch up to our trophy haul while we become the next Aston Villa. The only we can stop that is if we sign a ST, RW, CB, LB, RM, LM, CAM, #9, #10 and hire Pochettino, a DoF, and a new owner.
Well that’s cheered me right up :lol:

OverratedOpinion

I hope they both stay another few years, in the most complimentary way possible it would feel great to finish above them both. Obviously we are a long way off that but I would rather hope for us to become great than hope for others to become more average than us.

RooneyLegend

Sadly it feels like they are here to stay. The prem is a different animal to the other leagues and managers don't move unless they get fired. These two are media darlings with outrageous fanfare, the sort they've not really had.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We'll win the league this year with Ole, which will make them both retire.

RooneyLegend

I fear this is the case. They'll likely share the next 6 titles unless us and Chelsea start taking this sport seriously. Arsenal dont have the funds and Spurs are a small club. At the very least they are going to have a Wenger/Sir Alex rivalry.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Whoever loses the title will go at the end of this season.

RooneyLegend

I hope they both stay another few years, in the most complimentary way possible it would feel great to finish above them both. Obviously we are a long way off that but I would rather hope for us to become great than hope for others to become more average than us.
Pretty sure you wont be saying this in 2024 while we are still looking for the man to turn the club around.

Number4.

Petrified City are hatching a plan to give Pep a years sabbatical, with Arteta taking the reign before Pep comes back for another 3 or 4 years

Jacob

What's the pleasure in getting back to winning ways because the opponents ahead of us weakened?

Siorac

I seem to remember Pep saying that if we had won the CL along with the PL last season, he'd have left as he couldn't top it. If he wins the CL he might go, but I don't think he'll win it here. Klopp will outlast him in my opinion.
Why do you think that?

PaulRich

Klopp - 3 seasons. Whats working for him now will eventually go against him. Most of his squad big names at the minute are all the same age give or take 27-28; it will want a complete re-build when that age reaches 31-32 which will take some doing. I think he'll want to go out on a high.

RkkMan

By latest 2023 both will be gone IMO
My guess is Pep goes in 2021 and Klopp a year or two after
People thinking they'll easily replicate what SAF/Wenger did are underestimating how hard it is to stay at the top at one club for over a decade it's much easier said than done. There's a reason only SAF/Wenger are classified in a league of their own in terms of longevity

Number4.

Klopp - 3 seasons. Whats working for him now will eventually go against him. Most of his squad big names at the minute are all the same age give or take 27-28; it will want a complete re-build when that age reaches 31-32 which will take some doing. I think he'll want to go out on a high.
Regarding the rebuild, I can't see Liverpool's sell to buy owners letting Salah, Mane and Firmino age together at Liverpool. I think their rebuild will start next season with the club probably cashing in on Salah and replacing with a younger winger and adding to the rest of the squad.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Why do you think that?
With this unreal City squad he's gone out to 'inferior' English opposition two years in a row. He just doesn't fill me with any confidence in European games. He has a horrible tendancy to overthink those games and it always backfires.

arthurka

Both will finish their current contracts.
Klopp will take a break before going to the DFB, Pep will take over the Qatar national team.

Treble

With this unreal City squad he's gone out to 'inferior' English opposition two years in a row. He just doesn't fill me with any confidence in European games. He has a horrible tendancy to overthink those games and it always backfires.
Aguero missing a pen and Laporte playing like being drunk have little to do with overthinking. You were chasing a quadruple, you couldn't win all games.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Aguero missing a pen and Laporte playing like being drunk have little to do with overthinking. You were chasing a quadruple, you couldn't win all games.
Of course, things could have played out differently, but in the CL under Pep they tend not to for us. That's all.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pep's contract runs out 2021 and Klopps 2022. Based on their careers to date I'll be surprised if either extend much, if at all, beyond their current contracted dates. I think this is a hot topic at the moment because people can't see beyond either City or Liverpool winning trophies while they're both at the helm.

Both will be very difficult to follow. Whilst they don't have the longevity of Fergie's empire or the dynasty that Shankly and Paisley built its a different world where managing a top club for more than 3 years is a considerable feat and time span. Especially if the end doesn't come about because of a sacking.
The question is, will Liverpool end their 30-year drought before Klopp leaves the club? Go on, make a prediction.

Treble

Why would Guardiola manage Qatar?
Of course, things could have played out differently, but in the CL under Pep they tend not to for us. That's all.
His big mistake was that quadruple dream and taking too seriously the FA Cup and in particular the semi against Brighton. Why play KDB against Brighton and rest him against Spurs? That was daft. Nevertheless, Aguero scores that pen and you play in the final.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Pep is the Coach he is because he finds a way to fix whatever is holding his teams back.
There will always be exceptions that people will point to but that doesn't keep him awake at night.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why leave and where do they go?

Pep has done everything except Juventus but City are better equipped and Klopp seems happy with a football project like Liverpool.

English clubs are doing well in Europe and the other big clubs aren't as dominant as they used to be because they can't sign all the best players (Pogba) or simply rely on a Messi or Ronaldo.
Pep would probably go to Juventus. Yet again a team he can walk the league with but his real challenge will be Champions League.

Klopp would probably take over Bayern or Barcelona. Both will likely be looking for a manager quite soon, and Barca in general are looking for a new boss quite often.