How many goals will Messi score vs Curacao later today?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Its not, because its a made up scenario among fans.

Argentina is arranging friendles to go on a tour of enjoyable football matches where the chances of scoring a lot of goals is higher. They are the reigning world champions. The purpose of these friendlies is to celebrate their World Cup victory with the fans of Argentina, score a lot of goals, celebrate and be happy. As you must be aware, football is more than just a game over there, its the next closest thing to religion. Leo Messi winning the world cup is the biggest thing that has happened to everyone too young to have experienced Maradona doing the same.

There is genuinely no purpose in attempting to friendly Brazil and potentially lose or draw a game at this stage, that comes later. Right now, the entire purpose is to put on a spectacle for the crowd who are loving every second of life when they are at the stadium watching their beloved La Albiceleste don their white and blue, with Leo Messi as their captain.
What about the friendlies last year before they were world champions against Estonia B team, Jamaica, UAE and teams like that? And leaving Messi on for 90 minutes?

I like Messi, but they are clearly arranging these friendlies to make him score easy goals.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Yeah they organised a World Cup in which Ronaldo seemingly did not play and Messi scored 7 goals. All to bump up Messi's figures and get him closer to CR7. The absolute cheek of the AFA.....
I don’t think anyone said that pal…

Ronaldo gets criticised for scoring goals in competitive qualifying matches. Argentina are forcing the matches. I read that Messi has scored something like 8 international hat tricks and 6 of them came in friendlies.

I’m not exactly criticising this tactic, but trying to cover it up as anything else is just wrong.

Eric_the_Red99

What about the friendlies last year before they were world champions against Estonia B team, Jamaica, UAE and teams like that? And leaving Messi on for 90 minutes?

I like Messi, but they are clearly arranging these friendlies to make him score easy goals.
Just checked and in the six friendlies Argentina have played since last June, Messi has scored 13 goals (out of 25 goals in total for Argentina, none conceded). Not a bad return!

Zen

England would never arrange a friendly against anyone of that level though. In recent times e.g. post 2000 can't think of any friendly opposition below the level of say Scotland/Wales/Ireland.
Possibly should look into though.... it's worked a charm for Argentina, 3 trophies, however you want to swing it, on the bounce, and the competition bookending the World Cup has been extra atrocious, maybe the belief is a winning camp statpadding is a happy camp.

My favourite part of it is that they lost to the slight minnow they have played in competition in this run :lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I thought Messi vs Ronaldo thing was done and dusted but people coming up with weird conspiracy theories is making this thread fun at least.

heraklion

That hasn't stopped plenty saying Ronaldo shouldn't 'stat pad' for ego and should opt out of those games v 'minnows' in lieu of youngsters. So the exact same could certainly be said for selecting Messi for the whole 90 minutes in friendles v Panama and Curacao. Not that the games shouldn't take place, but should experienced players like him play all 180 minutes and 'stat pad' when younger players could be gaining experience?*
Exact same cannot be said for Messi, the guy just finished the WC as the best player in an iconic fashion just a couple of months ago unlike Ronaldo who was a huge failure. How can you compare current Messi with Ronaldo? Argentine fans would kill to watch him live, not the case for Ronaldo, probably many Portuguese are not happy with his selection considering their reactions during the WC.

Also, Messi is the playmaker first then the goal-scorer and the undisputed heart of Argentina without any viable replacement whereas Ronaldo is an underperforming pure poacher who can easily get replaced as in the WC. His effect on Argentina goes way beyond Ronaldo's impact on Portugal. I feel you have not watched Messi enough thinking he is the same type of player as Ronaldo, a stat-padder nowadays.

Last edited:

Semigoodlookin

I do not care about Messi vs Ronaldo or how many goals either has. Messi is the best footballer of the two either way. Still, I have found something unsavoury about the last two friendlies. Simply chose two teams to destroy in front of fans. I know they are friendlies but I think that makes it worse. They were not forced to play these games and it has been so uncompetitive. For some reason I found them to be unsporting. An unhonourable and cowardly homecoming for the world champions. However, I also know this kind of imbalance happens in international football, which is why it is usually such a chore.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I don’t think anyone said that pal…

Ronaldo gets criticised for scoring goals in competitive qualifying matches. Argentina are forcing the matches. I read that Messi has scored something like 8 international hat tricks and 6 of them came in friendlies.

I’m not exactly criticising this tactic, but trying to cover it up as anything else is just wrong.
I don't criticise him for scoring against whoever, all the main European guys do it. I"ve discussed it in other threads with Kane and Lukaku. The problem is people talking about 'friendlies' as if scoring a hattrick in a friendly v Brazil is somehow less impressive than scoring goals against Lichtenstein in a 'competitive' match. There's only 10 countries in SA, they don't have endless qualifying matches against minnows. So the minnow games are going to come in friendlies.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't criticise him for scoring against whoever, all the main European guys do it. I"ve discussed it in other threads with Kane and Lukaku. The problem is people talking about 'friendlies' as if scoring a hattrick in a friendly v Brazil is somehow less impressive than scoring goals against Lichtenstein in a 'competitive' match. There's only 10 countries in SA, they don't have endless qualifying matches against minnows. So the minnow games are going to come in friendlies.
If Argentina played Brazil in a friendly no one would be talking about statpadding though (11 years since Messi scored a hat trick against Brazil in a friendly now)
I think it is fair to say the reigning World champs playing friendlies against weak nations and their goat playing 90 minutes is statpadding. Watch the Curacao defenders on Messi's first goal and tell me they are even trying to stop him scoring....
Just like I think it is statpadding for Ronaldo to play in Saudi Arabia and start over the next generation players against cannonfodder like Lichtenstein and Luxembourg when he most likely is not in the starting 11 plans for the upcoming EURO 2024.

It's not a crime to statpad though. I just don't understand why they can't just say it as it is: "We played Ronny up top so he would get that 197th and 198th cap and a chance to beat the record for most NT goals. We're so happy for him." They have an easy group, so he'll probably get more chances to improve his NT stats as well.
Same with Messi and Argentina.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Exact same cannot be said for Messi, the guy just finished the WC as the best player in an iconic fashion just a couple of months ago unlike Ronaldo who was a huge failure. How can you compare current Messi with Ronaldo? Argentine fans would kill to watch him live, not the case for Ronaldo, probably many Portuguese are not happy with his selection considering their reactions during the WC.

Also, Messi is the playmaker first then the goal-scorer and the undisputed heart of Argentina without any viable replacement whereas Ronaldo is an underperforming pure poacher who can easily get replaced as in the WC. His effect on Argentina goes way beyond Ronaldo's impact on Portugal. I feel you have not watched Messi enough thinking he is the same type of player as Ronaldo, a stat-padder nowadays.
At the same age as Messi Ronaldo was the best scorer of the Euro. Like I have been saying, people are judging Messi and Ronaldo by the last years of their careers, this is absurd and just shows how on par they are in their incredible quality.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Why play minnows at all? Europe set up the Nations League to avoid it. Besides, half the teams in SA are terrible anyway.

Yeah, he scored a hat trick in a friendly against Brazil, but the other hat tricks were not against such illustrious opponents.

Goals in friendlies don’t count towards a player’s record; why do they on the international stage? It’s not like there’s a shortage of competitive internationals.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would love it if Portugal and Argentina went into a "who can arrange the most ridiculous FIFA recognized friendlies" competition between now and Messi/Ronaldo retiring :lol:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
If Argentina played Brazil in a friendly no one
Why play minnows at all? Europe set up the Nations League to avoid it. Besides, half the teams in SA are terrible anyway.

Yeah, he scored a hat trick in a friendly against Brazil, but the other hat tricks were not against such illustrious opponents.

Goals in friendlies don’t count towards a player’s record; why do they on the international stage? It’s not like there’s a shortage of competitive internationals.
Nonsense

troylocker

Not sure why you tagged me on this one, but Argentina has played Brazil 10 times in friendlies since Messi came through for the NT. No one is calling him out for statpadding in those matches.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Not sure why you tagged me on this one, but Argentina has played Brazil 10 times in friendlies since Messi came through for the NT. No one is calling him out for statpadding in those matches.
The stat padding has only started recently

troylocker

Apart from Brazil and Argentina, where are the decent sides?
The level of competition the South American teams meet in their WC quals are tougher than Euro Quals:

Brazil (#1), Argentina (#2), Uruguay (#16), Colombia (#17), Peru (#21), Chile (#31), Ecuador (#41), Paraguay (#46), Venezuela (#55) and Bolivia (#82)

It's only in Argentina's last 6 friendlies that they have been consistantly up against weak nations.

Compared to Portugal's EURO qual. for instance:
Portugal (#9), Slovakia (#54), Bosnia Herzegovina (#57), Iceland (#63), Luxembourg (#92) and Lichtenstein (#198)

The Nations League are of course a much better matching.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
The level of competition the South American teams meet in their WC quals are tougher than Euro Quals:

Brazil (#1), Argentina (#2), Uruguay (#16), Colombia (#17), Peru (#21), Chile (#31), Ecuador (#41), Paraguay (#46), Venezuela (#55) and Bolivia (#82)

It's only in Argentina's last 6 friendlies that they have been consistantly up against weak nations.

Portugal (#9), Slovakia (#54), Bosnia Herzegovina (#57), Iceland (#63), Luxembourg (#92) and Lichtenstein (#198)

The european weak nations are sunk in the ranking more because they rarely play nations they can have a chance to win, they don't play each other (except in the nations league that is a very recent competition).
This way they have no chance to get points for the rankings.
The weaker south american teams play each other so they can get victories/draws there.
South America is obviously more balanced than Europe but the rankings get distorted the lower you go.

troylocker

The european weak nations are sunk in the ranking more because they rarely play nations they can have a chance to win, they don't play each other (except in the nations league that is a very recent competition).
This way they have no chance to get points for the rankings.
The weaker south american teams play each other so they can get victories/draws there.
South America is obviously more balanced than Europe but the rankings get distorted the lower you go.
If you were talking about the CONCACAF (Carabia, Central America and North America) which is filled with micro states I could maybe agree, but not with South America.

Spaghetti

Mom's

The rankings are hugely distorted considering the opponents. If it was a huge league where everyone played everyone, the rankings would change massively.

A “best xi” from the remaining 8 non-Brazil-or-Argentina teams still wouldn’t be very good.

heraklion

At the same age as Messi Ronaldo was the best scorer of the Euro. Like I have been saying, people are judging Messi and Ronaldo by the last years of their careers, this is absurd and just shows how on par they are in their incredible quality.
And even that was not enough for him to have a spot in the tournament's official best 11 let alone the best player of the Euros, tells you all you need to know about his impact. Ronaldo could not win any best player award in any NT tournament at the beginning-mid or late career, no ifs or buts.. He could not score a single goal or register an assist in WC knock-outs, again no ifs or buts here again. I cannot remember a single magical tournament where he shined like Muller, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Stoichkov, Baggio, Romario, Modric, Messi, Pele, Maradona, Van Basten even James Rodriguez or Hagi.. none, the guy just tends to disappear at the biggest stage..

Even the most ardent supporters of Ronaldo would not draw parallels to Messi's NT career with Ronaldo's nowadays, most people would find it laughable that's why the debate is over. It is a different level, Messi is at the same level as Maradona and Pele with the NT, Ronaldo has no business there, and we are not even considering his lack of technical skills here.

heraklion

The rankings are hugely distorted considering the opponents. If it was a huge league where everyone played everyone, the rankings would change massively.

A “best xi” from the remaining 8 non-Brazil-or-Argentina teams still wouldn’t be very good.
How do you explain that last 8 Copas were won by Brazil (3), Argentina, Chile (2), Colombia, Uruguay with Peru and Paraguay also playing finals?

Below is Ronaldo's stats against Americans (Brazil, Ecuador, USA, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile)
2 goals in 12 games

His stats against European giants (Luxembourg, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Andorra, Kazakhstan, Armenia, North Korea, Faroe, Azerbaijan)
49 goals in 28 games.

His record against the WC winning nations (Germany, Italy, France, England, Spain, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina)
7 goals in 33 games.

Can you see a pattern there for Ronaldo above? Can you see why it is much easier to stat-pad "officially" in Europe?

Spaghetti

Mom's
How do you explain that last 8 Copas were won by Brazil (3), Argentina, Chile (2), Colombia, Uruguay with Peru and Paraguay also playing finals?

Below is Ronaldo's stats against Americans (Brazil, Ecuador, USA, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile)
2 goals in 12 games

His stats against European giants (Luxembourg, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Andorra, Kazakhstan, Armenia, North Korea, Faroe, Azerbaijan)
49 goals in 28 games.

His record against the WC winning nations (Germany, Italy, France, England, Spain, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina)
7 goals in 33 games.

Can you see a pattern there for Ronaldo above? Can you see why it is much easier to stat-pad "officially" in Europe?
How many of those players are still playing? How did those world giants do in the World Cup?

You could make the same argument for Greece in the Euros if we are going that far back.

Yes, players score more goals in easier games; I don’t remember saying it wasn’t easier to score in official European matches.

Maybe we should organise some friendlies against some Latvian and Swedish teams to help Weghorst’s goal record? After all, it’s more difficult to score in the PL.

Idxomer

I thought Messi vs Ronaldo thing was done and dusted but people coming up with weird conspiracy theories is making this thread fun at least.
Yep, the insanity of a certain player's fans has reached another level after the World Cup.

IFC 1905

It's not our fault that Europe created the nations league and play against each other all the time. Before that we used to face european teams quite a lot.

I've read somewhere that we'll be introduced to the Nations league soon so those days will be gone and we will finally play against mighty Litchestein, San Marino, etc.

Spaghetti

Mom's
It's not our fault that Europe created the nations league and play against each other all the time. Before that we used to face european teams quite a lot.

I've read somewhere that we'll be introduced to the Nations league soon so those days will be gone and we will finally play against mighty Litchestein, San Marino, etc.
It only seems to be Argentina who, in the last 12 months, have played really low opposition.

Regarding the Nations League, that depends on where you’re from. Brazil and Argentina will be pot A teams and will never get relegated that far.

The other teams are probably bad enough to end
up against pot D teams at some point.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would love it if Portugal and Argentina went into a "who can arrange the most ridiculous FIFA recognized friendlies" competition between now and Messi/Ronaldo retiring :lol:
Portugal already did by sending Ronaold to South Asia

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
And even that was not enough for him to have a spot in the tournament's official best 11 let alone the best player of the Euros, tells you all you need to know about his impact. Ronaldo could not win any best player award in any NT tournament at the beginning-mid or late career, no ifs or buts.. He could not score a single goal or register an assist in WC knock-outs, again no ifs or buts here again. I cannot remember a single magical tournament where he shined like Muller, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Stoichkov, Baggio, Romario, Modric, Messi, Pele, Maradona, Van Basten even James Rodriguez or Hagi.. none, the guy just tends to disappear at the biggest stage..

Even the most ardent supporters of Ronaldo would not draw parallels to Messi's NT career with Ronaldo's nowadays, most people would find it laughable that's why the debate is over. It is a different level, Messi is at the same level as Maradona and Pele with the NT, Ronaldo has no business there, and we are not even considering his lack of technical skills here.
Of course he wasn't in the team of the tournament, he was eliminated in the last 16 :lol:
The last straw is strong.

2 goals in 12 games

49 goals in 28 games.

7 goals in 33 games.

Officially yes, but there is no pattern, let me show you how instead of cherry picking:

Let us remove the goal and games against the following teams: Luxembourg, Lithuania, Andorra, Armenia, Latvia, Estonia, Faroe islands, North Ireland, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, North Korea, Qatar, Albania, Canada, Cape Verde, China, Georgia, Mozambique, Curaçao, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Nicaragua, UAE, Qatar, Trinidad & Tobago

It stands like this:
Ronaldo: 66 goals in 141 games (51 goals in 103 official games)
Messi: 78 goals in 159 games (54 goals in 119 official games)
So they're sort of even in goals/game, with Messi edging it in total but Ronaldo having done better in official games.

Now let us remove the following teams: Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Venezuela, Panama, Algeria, Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, United States, Angola, Costa Rica, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Poland, Ireland, Romania, Finland, Israel, Morocco, Slovakia, Ukraine, Wales, Austria, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Norway, Turkey, South Africa

Ronaldo: 42 goals in 90 games (33 goals in 67 official games)
Messi: 41 goals in 86 games (23 goals in 62 official games)
The pattern is the same, Messi slightly edging it but not in competitive games.

Let us now remove: Mexico, Colombia, Nigeria, Switzerland, Serbia-Montenegro, Japan, Russia, South Korea, Sweden, Denmark, Cameroon, Czech Republic, Egypt, Ghana, Serbia, Ivory Coast

Ronaldo: 15 goals in 47 games (11 goals in 30 games)
Messi: 27 goals in 57 games (14 goals in 40 games)
Messi has scored signficantly more goals but in friendlies, they're on par in competitive games with a small edge towards Ronaldo.

Now let's do a different exercise: using only Copa/Euro + WC games

Ronaldo
Euro: 14 goals in 25 games (0.56 goals per game)
WC: 8 goals in 22 games (0.36 goals per game)
Total: 22 goals in 47 games (0.47 goals per game)

Messi
Copa: 13 goals in 34 games (0.38 goals per game)
WC: 13 goals in 26 games (0.5 goals per game)
Total: 26 goals in 60 games (0.43 goals per game)

So as can be concluded from above, imho, Ronaldo has been stat padding against weak teams just like Messi (and everyone else, it's not like they have had exceptionally unique weak opponents) and they are similar at all ranks of teams (at least if you consider official games).
In the big competitions Ronaldo has been doing fine actually, he scores more in these competitions than Messi actually, he is competent here and the stat padding theory (the new spin on the old and once discredited "he only scores against weak teams" criticism that happened earlier in his career) crumbles.

This is my subjective analysis of course and feel free to criticize it. If you're being honest you have to contextualise and analyse the whole data not just cherry picking points to prove your arguments. Again, I am prone to being subjective of course but I am transparent about it and the data above is of course there for everyone to see, I am trying (again, subjectvely) to base the argument on facts.

mshnsh

No he wasn't, Griezmann was. And neither was he player of the tournament, again Griezmann was. Reason: individually Ronaldo really struggled at the tournament. His only really good performance was vs Hungary. And Portugal won the final pretty much without him.

No one is judging just based on the end. From the beginning, Messi has been the better allround footballer (comfortably). Ronaldo has been in the conversation because of his goals.

mshnsh

Of course he wasn't in the team of the tournament, he was eliminated in the last 16 :lol:

Officially yes, but there is no pattern, let me show you how instead of cherry picking:

Let us remove the goal and games against the following teams: Luxembourg, Lithuania, Andorra, Armenia, Latvia, Estonia, Faroe islands, North Ireland, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, North Korea, Qatar, Albania, Canada, Cape Verde, China, Georgia, Mozambique, Curaçao, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Nicaragua, UAE, Qatar, Trinidad & Tobago

It stands like this:
So they're sort of even in goals/game, with Messi edging it in total but Ronaldo having done better in official games.

Now let us remove the following teams: Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Venezuela, Panama, Algeria, Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, United States, Angola, Costa Rica, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Poland, Ireland, Romania, Finland, Israel, Morocco, Slovakia, Ukraine, Wales, Austria, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Norway, Turkey, South Africa

Let us now remove: Mexico, Colombia, Nigeria, Switzerland, Serbia-Montenegro, Japan, Russia, South Korea, Sweden, Denmark, Cameroon, Czech Republic, Egypt, Ghana, Serbia, Ivory Coast

Messi has scored signficantly more goals but in friendlies, they're on par in competitive games with a small edge towards Ronaldo.

Ronaldo

Messi

So as can be concluded from above, imho, Ronaldo has been stat padding against weak teams just like Messi (and everyone else, it's not like they have had exceptionally unique weak opponents) and they are similar at all ranks of teams (at least if you consider official games).
In the big competitions Ronaldo has been doing fine actually, he scores more in these competitions than Messi actually, he is competent here and the stat padding theory (the new spin on the old and once discredited "he only scores against weak teams" criticism that happened earlier in his career) crumbles.

This is my subjective analysis of course and feel free to criticize it. If you're being honest you have to contextualise and analyse the whole data not just cherry picking points to prove your arguments. Again, I am prone to being subjective of course but I am transparent about it and the data above is of course there for everyone to see, I am trying (again, subjectvely) to base the argument on facts.
Something you should understand is that while Ronaldo's game is almost totally about scoring and getting the headlines, Messi has an allround ability that Ronaldo is not and has never ever been near to. Messi is not as selfish or obsessed about scoring as your idol. All this makes his stats much more impressive.

heraklion

It stands like this:

Ronaldo

Messi

There's no cherry-picking here. Ronaldo is just useless in WCs knock-outs (0 goals+assists in 8 games) and against top rivals. He scored 7 goals in 33 games against WC winning nations meaning the guy suffers against such teams. Not only that, the guy suffers equally bad against Americans, so there goes your argument.

You also seem to ignore the fact that Ronaldo is tasked with goal-scoring mostly unlike Messi who is the heart of Argentina as both a playmaker and goal-scoring threat. They are no substitutes. Give Ronaldo the task of playmaking instead of poaching and see what happens to these inflated numbers even against Andorra, Lux, Faroe etc. The guy would probably be substituted even before the half time by the Portugal manager. For Messi to have a great game, he does not even have to score.

Messi broke many records both at Copa and WC, not the case for Ronaldo. I always say Ronaldo could not make half the impact Stoichkov, Hagi, Modric, Forlan, James Rodriguez etc. made with their above-average NT teams in a WC despite featuring in 5 WCs, embarrassing tbh. And comparing with Messi who won 6 best player awards in WCs, Copas, Olympics, U-20 WC even in Finallissima is delusional.

What's funny is that Lukaku the great has similar goal per game ratio with Ronaldo, tells you all you need to know about Ronaldo's secret stat-padding recipe in Europe..

Last edited:

mshnsh

It has absolutely nothing to do with Messi. This conspiracy theory is laughable especially given the fact that Messi isnt obsessed with scoring unlike the Portuguese guy.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

Yes, in the build up to a World Cup, the biggest tournament in football, the AFA and Scaloni are most concerned about arranging fixtures that will get Messi easy goals. The small matter of actually preparing for the tournament, trying different players, formations etc. is neither here nor there.

That totally sounds like something a rational, balanced person would believe.

Andersonson

Talks of him not accepting a paycut from his insane salary at PSG. Saudi is talked about as his next move.

That would mean he joins the Saudi League one year younger than Ronaldo

heraklion

Talks of him not accepting a paycut from his insane salary at PSG. Saudi is talked about as his next move.

That would mean he joins the Saudi League one year younger than Ronaldo
If that happens, he would go there as the last WC winner & best player plus probably with a new Ballon D'or unlike Ronaldo "the reject" who was basically rejected by every single top club in Europe despite his desperate attempts to remain in Europe finally ending up in South Africa.

Also, Messi is very likely to move to MLS if he decides to leave Europe.

Last edited: