How many goals will Messi score vs Curacao later today?

In Rainbows

Talks of him not accepting a paycut from his insane salary at PSG. Saudi is talked about as his next move.

That would mean he joins the Saudi League one year younger than Ronaldo
The debate is over. Nothing Ronaldo does can swing it in his favor anymore.

Pickle85

If that happens, he would go there as the last WC winner & best player plus probably with a new Ballon D'or unlike Ronaldo "the reject" who was basically rejected by every single top club in Europe despite his desperate attempts to remain in Europe finally ending up in South Africa.

Also, Messi is very likely to move to MLS if he decides to leave Europe.
Did you sign up to the caf purely to join the Ronaldo vs Messi shitshow?! That's some dedication...!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Talks of him not accepting a paycut from his insane salary at PSG. Saudi is talked about as his next move.

That would mean he joins the Saudi League one year younger than Ronaldo
It would be daft to go to South Africa. It would spark a whole new level of old messi vs old ronnnie. That thing needs to die.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They're not exactly great are they? Let's look at the 6th ranked out of 10 in CONMEBOL and world #31 Chile.

Last 15 matches - W3 D3 L9

Chile have beaten El Salvador, Bolivia and Paraguay in that time.

El Salvador have won 2 in 15 against Honduras and Grenada
Bolivia have won 6 in 15 against Peru, Paraguay, Uruguay, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago and Saudi Arabia. 5 of those in La Paz, notorious for altitude.
Paraguay have won 3 in 15 against Mexico, Ecuador and UAE

Chile have drawn with Mexico, Qatar and Slovakia in that time

Mexico have won 6 in 15, against Nigeria, Suriname (twice), Peru, Iraq and Saudi Arabia
Qatar have won 5 in 15, against Guatemala, Honduras, Albania, Panama and Kuwait
Slovakia have won 5 in 15, against Malta, Finland, Belarus, Azerbaijan and Bosnia-Herzegovina

Chile have been beaten by Ecuador, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Korea Republic, Tunisia, Ghana, Morroco and Poland.

I don't know why I'm getting involved in all this, I don't care who is or isn't stat padding and it's obvious Messi is better anyway because that's what this thread has turned into.

Either way Chile aren't much cop and they're supposed to be the best of the bottom half of the CONMEBOL sides. I don't know if I'd say terrible, but I don't think they're better than mid-ranked European teams either such as Slovakia (who they drew with), or the likes of Ireland, Greece, Romania, Norway etc. There seems to be this thing that says CONMEBOL qualifiers are tough because it's full of good teams. I don't agree with that.

It does lack some of the absolute rubbish that is in Europe though, and I suppose that's more pertinent here.

Last edited:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It would be daft to go to South Africa. It would spark a whole new level of old messi vs old ronnnie. That thing needs to die.
He's already an ambassador for tourism there so it's actually not much of a stretch, especially as they can pay the most money. It would indeed start the whole MvR thing over again but it would be the equivalent of when George Foreman had boxing matches in his 50s.

Why do you keep calling it 'South Africa' by the way? It seems like you think that it's really witty, but I'm afraid it's not.....

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
They're not exactly great are they? Let's look at the 6th ranked out of 10 in CONMEBOL and world #31 Chile.

Last 15 matches - W3 D3 L9

Chile have beaten El Salvador, Bolivia and Paraguay in that time.

El Salvador have won 2 in 15 against Honduras and Grenada
Bolivia have won 6 in 15 against Peru, Paraguay, Uruguay, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago and Saudi Arabia. 5 of those in La Paz, notorious for altitude.
Paraguay have won 3 in 15 against Mexico, Ecuador and UAE

Chile have drawn with Mexico, Qatar and Slovakia in that time

Mexico have won 6 in 15, against Nigeria, Suriname (twice), Peru, Iraq and Saudi Arabia
Qatar have won 5 in 15, against Guatemala, Honduras, Albania, Panama and Kuwait
Slovakia have won 5 in 15, against Malta, Finland, Belarus, Azerbaijan and Bosnia-Herzegovina

Chile have been beaten by Ecuador, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Korea Republic, Tunisia, Ghana, Morroco and Poland.

I don't know why I'm getting involved in all this, I don't care who is or isn't stat padding and it's obvious Messi is better anyway because that's what this thread has turned into.

Either way Chile aren't much cop and they're supposed to be the best of the bottom half of the CONMEBOL sides. I don't know if I'd say terrible, but I don't think they're better than mid-ranked European teams either such as Slovakia (who they drew with), or the likes of Ireland, Greece, Romania, Norway etc. There seems to be this thing that says CONMEBOL qualifiers are tough because it's full of good teams. I don't agree with that.

It does lack some of the absolute rubbish that is in Europe though, and I suppose that's more pertinent here.
I'm chilean, and i can confirm we have been shit since 2018, we are currently at the same level of Ireland and Scotland more or less, and i firmly believe Scotland definitely has better players than us.
Vidal, Medel, and Alexis are old, and the "new" players suck (some of them can't even hack it in the brazilian league btw).

Conmebol current level is terrible outside of Brazil and Argentina, no wonder only those 2 got out of group stage in Qatar, while Peru couldn't even beat Australia in the qualification play-offs. This is the worst Conmebol has been since I have memory, we would have to go back to the 80s ,where Argentina and Brazil were the only good teams, to see something similar.

Funny thing is that we might still quality for the next WC cause Conmebol will have 6.5 spots for 2026, we just need to not to be as terrible as Venezuela,Bolivia, and Paraguay... i think we can manage that at least :D

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's already an ambassador for tourism there so it's actually not much of a stretch, especially as they can pay the most money. It would indeed start the whole MvR thing over again but it would be the equivalent of when George Foreman had boxing matches in his 50s.

Why do you keep calling it 'South Africa' by the way? It seems like you think that it's really witty, but I'm afraid it's not.....
Because Ronnie called Saudi Arabia, South Africa. When he first signed.

Last edited:

BarcaSpurs

Commebols clearly a bit weak at the moment but during the 2010-2019 decade there was a lot of strong teams outside the big two. Chile were world number 1 for a bit with Alexis, Vidal etc Uruguay with Forlan/Suarez/Cavani had strong teams throughout. Colombia with James, Falcao, Cuadrado were good. Paruguay, Ecuador and Peru all had decent teams at times that were pretty much on par with 'Tier 3' European teams.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
No he wasn't, Griezmann was. And neither was he player of the tournament, again Griezmann was. Reason: individually Ronaldo really struggled at the tournament. His only really good performance was vs Hungary. And Portugal won the final pretty much without him.

No one is judging just based on the end. From the beginning, Messi has been the better allround footballer (comfortably). Ronaldo has been in the conversation because of his goals.
Yes, he was. Read again what I said.

Something you should understand is that while Ronaldo's game is almost totally about scoring and getting the headlines, Messi has an allround ability that Ronaldo is not and has never ever been near to. Messi is not as selfish or obsessed about scoring as your idol. All this makes his stats much more impressive.
So, I have to guess my argument was correct. You know me and most people in this thread were discussing stat padding, right? The same senseless argument that Ronaldo is the only stat padding.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

So, I have to guess my argument was correct. You know me and most people in this thread were discussing stat padding, right? The same senseless argument that Ronaldo is the only stat padding.
He means Euro 2020, when Ronaldo was 36, not Euro 2016.

mshnsh

Player of the tournament: Griezmann
Top scorer: Griezmann with 6 goals (Ronaldo 3 goals, 2 vs Hungary and 1 vs Wales)
Your posts don't make any sense at all.

Edit: you mean Euro 2020. He was top scorer but nowhere near the best player and Portugal went crashing out early in the tournament. He has never had a tournament where he is the best player. You really can't compare any of his tournaments to Messi's wc in Qatar.

And just for good measure, Messi has been player of the tournament on 5 different occasions, Ronaldo, never.

You keep arguing about stat padding, but I'm not. All goal scorers do stat pad because it is naturally easier to score against lower opposition. My point is that Ronaldo's performances are much much more about scoring than those of Messi because the later has always had a much better allround game since he started playing and that is not debatable.

Last edited: