How many of our players are above mediocre?

simplyared

DDG
Pogba
AWB
Maguire
Rashford
Maybe you could squeeze in another 1 or 2 at a pinch but I'm struggling tbh.
We can all talk about systems, the manager etc etc but have we got the quality?

fergiesarmy1

Maybe above par would be a better description but you have to add martial and James surely. They have both been 7/10 at least each game (some sub time for James but he did ok I’d say!)

RooneyLegend

Pogba, DDG, Martial, Rashford, Maguire and AWB. The rest that could be on that list are still young and learning.

Halal Jalal

Paul is the best midfielder in the world, so "above average" would be an understatement.
Wan-Bissaka is top 3 RB in the world.
Martial still has the potential to become world class in my opinion, but seems to lack the right mentality.

That's it. De Gea used to be absolute world class (#1 GK for a while even) but he's finished, nowhere near Alisson or Ederson now. Maguire is good enough for top 4 fight, but not world class. Rashford lacks the technique and intelligence to be anything but a pace merchant - like Maguire, good enough for top 4 fight but doesn't have the potential to be a top striker for top team. He's barely developed since his debut.

fps

Pogba, DDG, Martial, Rashford, Maguire and AWB. The rest that could be on that list are still young and learning.
Yes, completely agree! Those with potential to be more who are in that first team squad - Lindelof, McTominay, Shaw.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Most which is why the team was in the top third last season.

RooneyLegend

Yes, completely agree! Those with potential to be more who are in that first team squad - Lindelof, McTominay, Shaw.
Disagree with those 3. Lindelof is rank average, Scotty McT is bang average and will always be and Shaw has the ability but it starts and stops there.

Alabaster Codify7

DDG
Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Pogba
Rashford
Martial

From the entire squad. Terrifying. And before anyone says that's bullshit, our league finishes since 2013 supports the fact we're full of mediocrity.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
DDG
Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Pogba
Rashford
Martial

From the entire squad. Terrifying. And before anyone says that's bullshit, our league finishes since 2013 supports the fact we're full of mediocrity.
Which is why the expectations on here to win every game are completely unrealistic. Even from the above only Pogba and maybe Maguire are definite starters for their countries.

Cypherage

Maguire
AWB & Pogba to some extent, has had a tendency to go missing most games but still is United's best midfielder, and let's be honest that's not hard to do.

DDG was class, but his form has continued to slide and making mistakes seems to be a regular thing for him now, Martial probably the better of are strikers in regards to overall ability.

The rest could probably easily be replaced, including DDG.

Gibb11

Paul is the best midfielder in the world, so "above average" would be an understatement.
Martial still has the potential to become world class in my opinion, but seems to lack the right mentality.

That's it. De Gea used to be absolute world class (#1 GK for a while even) but he's finished, nowhere near Alisson or Ederson now. Maguire is good enough for top 4 fight, but not world class. Rashford lacks the technique and intelligence to be anything but a pace merchant - like Maguire, good enough for top 4 fight but doesn't have the potential to be a top striker for top team. He's barely developed since his debut.
You really think that seriously?

snowkarl

Honestly?

Snuffkin

Most of Liverpool's players are average. But they play as a team.

Green_Red

Mediocre = bang average
Our squad's full of em!
Get fecking real will you. Finishing 6th, in a bad season for us, in the toughest league in the world, behind two Champions League finalists and two Europa League finalists is bang average? Get your head checked.

dev1l

And they didn't start to play as a team from day 1. Building a successful team takes time.

Certainly more than 3 games..

freeurmind

weak willed

Stop it.

United58

DDG - Started season well until howler at Palace, but still very good. Best shot stopper on the planet in his prime. Remains to be seen whether he's been poor over contract situation or whether he's going the Rooney route of early decline.

AWB - Questionable going forward but absolutely fantastic defender.

Maguire - Not one of the best around but a commanding presence at the back.

Pogba - Very inconsistent but on his game one of the best players on the planet. Probably has the best passing range in the world, insane how good it is.

Martial/Rashford - Flashes of their talent in fits and starts. Hopefully they become more consistent with age.

Don't think we're making top 4 this season, or for the forseeable future under the Glazers/Woodward, unless the young players step up big time. fecking Arsenal look better set than we do. fecking Arsenal.

Based Adnan

Depends on the definition of mediocre. If you class finishing 10th as mediocre then pretty much most of the squad is above mediocre. However just because they are above mediocre it does not necessarily mean they are good enough for where we want to go as a club in both the short term (top 4) and long term (trophies/title challenge).

Plenty of our players would be valuable players for clubs both in and out of the top 6. The issue is we have too many 'just above mediocre' players and not enough standout talent. If you're looking at players in our squad good enough to finish top 4 it's a pretty low number let alone looking at how many are good enough to challenge for the league.

Foxbatt

DeGea, Pogba, Maguire and maybe Martial and AWB. I do not think Rashford is above mediocre. He may become a good player in the future but not at this moment in time

simplyared

And they didn't start to play as a team from day 1. Building a successful team takes time.

Certainly more than 3 games..
Matip
Milner
Henderson
Average players imo who make up for that by always putting a shift in.
How many more from Liverpool's regular team players would you have as average?
Maybe we're not looking at the same team.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This is a wrong question. The right question is to ask "how many of our players are in above mediocre form"? Because most of them were above average talent-wise at some point, otherwise they wouldn't be in the team, however how many are this season - is a completely different matter.

Case in point: DDG used to be world-class, but this season he IS mediocre, he is worse than mediocre and has been such since the end of last season.

Now if you ask the question about the form, very few of our players will qualify.

Maguire, AWB, Martial and maybe Luke Shaw are the only ones you can definitely say they are in above mediocre form since the season started. Rashford is close, but if he was in good form he should have destroyed Crystal Palace and Wolves. And he didn't. So...

Another way you can ask this is - which one of our players would make starting positions at Liverpool or City, this season? No way DDG or Pogba are making that list. DDG because he's just horrible this season, and Pogba because he's way too inconsistent.

PaulRich

Lingard not getting a sniff in this thread. Funny that..............

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
De Gea
Pogba
Maguire
AWB
Martial
Rashford

At least 3 of above in bad form now, so there you go, majority of our squad is mediocre.

PieCrust

Above average? Not a lot. Lots of average and below.

Above;
Pogba
Maguire
AWB
DDG

Potential wise, there is a squad there. Players like Rashford, Martial, James & Lindelöf have the potential to improve, but they aren't there yet. They are inconsistent which is frustrating, but they are young and I'm willing to give Ole the time to bring the best out of them. I think we really need stability right now for these players to see any meaningful development. But players like Lingard and McTomminay shouldn't be starting regular games, but Ed and the board failed Ole in getting any signings in for CM, a #10 since we're now playing with one and support on the attacking front, both on the wings and a central ST.

NJM78

DDG
Pogba
AWB
Maguire
Rashford
Maybe you could squeeze in another 1 or 2 at a pinch but I'm struggling tbh.
We can all talk about systems, the manager etc etc but have we got the quality?
No offence but if Rashford is not a mediocre player then Martial isn't one either. No Martial FC agendas here either but just based on technical ability alone, Tony is better.

dev1l

Matip
Milner
Henderson
Average players imo who make up for that by always putting a shift in.
How many more from Liverpool's regular team players would you have as average?
Maybe we're not looking at the same team.
During Klopp first season, there were more average players, which eventually were replaced:
Clyne at Rb ( Trent Alexander was still a "kid")
Robertson was far from finished article
Mignolet / Karius in goal
Lovren at CB
Lallana

Eventually the youngsters got better (after being given time to learn their trade) and the ones which weren't good enough were replaced.
But this process didn't take place overnight....as some people here pretend

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

You lost me at "Pogba is the best midfielder in the world". He isn't even in the top 10...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
And that's just it right there. Look back at our glory days. Were Butt, Neville(s), Fletcher, Anderson, O'Shea, Brown, etc great players? Not even close. I think a lot of people around here like to be nastolgic and remember them being better than they really were, but fact of the matter was, we only had a few world class players but everybody played for the name on the front of the shirt, and not the name on the back, and they all bought into the system SAF employed...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
People like you are the reason why I’m anti pogba half the time, do you actually support united or are you going where he goes in the summer?
I ask myself that same question all the time. Not sure where all the Pogba love comes from. Yes, he's a very talented football player, but he reminds me more of Mario Ballitelli than Paul Scholes. I can totally see him getting his transfer to Real Madrid next summer and then see his career fade away after having moments of brilliance but overall being a bust there too...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I ask myself that same question all the time. Not sure where all the Pogba love comes from. Yes, he's a very talented football player, but he reminds me more of Mario Ballitelli than Paul Scholes. I can totally see him getting his transfer to Real Madrid next summer and then see his career fade away after having moments of brilliance but overall being a bust there too...
:lol: