How many of our players are above mediocre?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People like you are the reason why I’m anti pogba half the time, do you actually support united or are you going where he goes in the summer?
Therein lies your problem, you're easily wound up by what other people say. Your reaction to what is said about him is a bit ridiculous to me.

simplyared

Get fecking real will you. Finishing 6th, in a bad season for us, in the toughest league in the world, behind two Champions League finalists and two Europa League finalists is bang average? Get your head checked.
Time for you my friend for a head check. we were over 30 fecking pts off the top 2 last season!

fergiesarmy1

Therein lies your problem, you're easily wound up by what other people say. Your reaction to what is said about him is a bit ridiculous to me.
Yes nut jobs wind me up, to even talk about him as ballon dor at the moment is embarrassing. We used to take the piss out of scousers for proclaiming their players were best in the world. Someone on this thread claimed him as the best midfielder in the world when he isn’t even the best midfielder in Manchester by a long shot.

Bizarre.

Devil77

Put any of our ”mediocre” players in a well coached team (let’ s say City) and they would look so much better. On this level, virtually no players are mediocre or bang average or whatnot.

What we DO lack is one or two more standout players like Pogba. And then a well defined and consistent game plan. With that comes confidence and security. Two attributes that will make any player look much better.

fergiesarmy1

Put any of our ”mediocre” players in a well coached team (let’ s say City) and they would look so much better. On this level, virtually no players are mediocre or bang average or whatnot.

What we DO lack is one or two more standout players like Pogba. And then a well defined and consistent game plan. With that comes confidence and security. Two attributes that will make any player look much better.
Some would argue it’s easier to look the best in a team if the rest are shit :wenger:

simplyared

And that's just it right there. Look back at our glory days. Were Butt, Neville(s), Fletcher, Anderson, O'Shea, Brown, etc great players? Not even close. I think a lot of people around here like to be nastolgic and remember them being better than they really were, but fact of the matter was, we only had a few world class players but everybody played for the name on the front of the shirt, and not the name on the back, and they all bought into the system SAF employed...
So what you're saying is the majority of SAF's teams were made up of bang average players and those who played for him played for the shirt bla bla bla. Nonsense!

Toddler

Paul is the best midfielder in the world, so "above average" would be an understatement.
Wan-Bissaka is top 3 RB in the world.
Martial still has the potential to become world class in my opinion, but seems to lack the right mentality.

That's it. De Gea used to be absolute world class (#1 GK for a while even) but he's finished, nowhere near Alisson or Ederson now. Maguire is good enough for top 4 fight, but not world class. Rashford lacks the technique and intelligence to be anything but a pace merchant - like Maguire, good enough for top 4 fight but doesn't have the potential to be a top striker for top team. He's barely developed since his debut.
How do you figure Pogba is the best midfielder in the world and that AWb is top three rb in the world?

Red_toad

All of them! You don’t play for a PL team if you are mediocre.
This...

I don’t get how anyone thinks premiership players could be mediocre. They’re are the best of the best in the country. Should go watch a few Sunday league games as that’s where the mediocre ones are all at.

fps

Yes, I think I've engaged with the spirit of this where "average" means, errr.... Not sure, below title winning? It's ridiculous really isn't it.

Devil77

So what you're saying is the majority of SAF's teams were made up of bang average players and those who played for him played for the shirt bla bla bla. Nonsense!
By definition, most players are average. But they will look fine if they all know what their task is, a solid game plan.

Look at the players that has left United. Brown, Phil Neville, Butt, O’Shea. They did not stand out for their new teams but they all did a solid and appreciated job at United.

I am not saying that todays United are without problems. But I really believe that labelling our players mediocre is neither constructive nor true.

wolvored

We have too many who lets say, dont suit, too injury prone or do a decent job at Utd. Some might do better elsewhere. Off the top of my head, we have Lingard, Sanchez, Rojo, Jones, Smalling , Darmian, Fred, and Mata should all be moved on. Cant understand why some keep getting their contracts renewed. Young is still here because we need cover for Shaw, who is another 6/10 player, injured every season, but the best we have for LB. Too many of the regulars aint good enough either. Rashford, Martial, are way too inconsistant to be the main strikers. De Gea is nowhere near the player he was. Lindelof, even Pogba have too many mistakes in them.
Whats the answer? I dont know. Should we look to the championship, the mid to lower clubs for players like we have this year? This is probably the best route to get a 7-8/10 team and then upgrade positions with WC players or the best youth from the kids or bought from around the world.
This rebuild is going to take 3/4 years to get back to where we were under Ferguson, and thats if we keep to either Ole or another manager with the same philosophy.

Zlatattack

It's an unhelpful way to look at players.

Origi, Winjadulum, Henderson, Milner, Lovren, Matip, Xhakiri - all bang average. Only Salah is really world class i reckon. Yet Liverpool are an excellent team.

Look at the City side, they have a lot more star quality, yet they finished only a point ahead of Liverpool.

Players can rise and fall amongst tiers, we should always look to improve the quality of the squad, but at the end of the day, sometimes there is more too it than just that. I think our failures lie in;

1. Competition for places. Some places we don't have enough players, other places we have too many, or too many similar players. We have Luke Shaw at LB and nobody to cover him (Ashley Young). We have 7 centre backs, but not a big gap in quality between most of them. We have 4 players who can play LW, nobody who naturally plays RW. We have 2 inconsistent strikers (who also double as wide attackers), nobody dedicated to the role.

2. Lack of creative players. Who is our team can make things happen because of a clever pass or clever movement? Who can play a couple of 1-2's and break down a line? Who can dribble through a few players? Pogba? Mata? Martial? (stretching it). Our team doesn't pass and go because we don't have the brains in the team to see it before anyone else does.

3. Lack of seasoned pro's to take the lead. We have senior players, but who's stepped up? Smalling at the back - No. Matic, not really. Sanchez? No. Pogba - part time (Lukaku did so too, part time), Mata, only in the media. If these guys were playing (had played) to their expected level, we'd be challenging amongst the top. Our seniors have let us down so we rely on inconsistent young players and dross like Lingard. They're not entirely at fault. Mata was played regularly out of position. Lukaku had limited service, Matic didn't have the young legs next to him to support him all the time. Pogba needed other creative minds to work with. Sanchez has no excuse. Having said that - they still have not been good enough.

4. Poor coaching. A lot of squad has been working with different managers, different methods and they don't looked well versed in a style of play. There's a lot of people thinking with the ball at their feet - thinking should be done before you get the ball at your feet. You should know what you're going to do next. We never look rhythmic.

steve.crowford

It's an unhelpful way to look at players.

Origi, Winjadulum, Henderson, Milner, Lovren, Matip, Xhakiri - all bang average. Only Salah is really world class i reckon. Yet Liverpool are an excellent team.
Alisson, van Dijk, Mane they are world class

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
  • You're not average, your players are not mediocre.
  • You're not as good as you were ten years ago and that's causing a lot of angst.
  • Palace has tipped a lot of people back over the edge into the maelstrom that was the end of last season.
  • City and Pool are doing well and that just makes it worse
  • Actually your team is progressing and you have some gems rough and polished!
  • You just don't have Vidic, Ronaldo, Rooney etc at the moment

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes nut jobs wind me up, to even talk about him as ballon dor at the moment is embarrassing. We used to take the piss out of scousers for proclaiming their players were best in the world. Someone on this thread claimed him as the best midfielder in the world when he isn’t even the best midfielder in Manchester by a long shot.

Bizarre.
People have been always been talking rubbish. Better not get caught up and use your common sense

meamth

• You're not as good as you were ten years ago and that's causing a lot of angst.
  • Palace has tipped a lot of people back over the edge into the maelstrom that was the end of last season.
Finally. Someone talking sense here.

Jacob

2 midfielders and 2 attackers, add one quality coach and we're set. I always go back to Leicester winning the league - you don't need wordclass players in every position. You need spirit, a strategy and good execusion.

OL29

I ask myself that same question all the time. Not sure where all the Pogba love comes from. Yes, he's a very talented football player, but he reminds me more of Mario Ballitelli than Paul Scholes. I can totally see him getting his transfer to Real Madrid next summer and then see his career fade away after having moments of brilliance but overall being a bust there too...
Ignorant comparison.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
By definition, most players are average. But they will look fine if they all know what their task is, a solid game plan.

Look at the players that has left United. Brown, Phil Neville, Butt, O’Shea. They did not stand out for their new teams but they all did a solid and appreciated job at United.

I am not saying that todays United are without problems. But I really believe that labelling our players mediocre is neither constructive nor true.
Difference with the players that you have named is that they could be trusted. They knew they were not the best but SAF could trust them, that they would work that bit harder to make up for their limitations. A lot of the players we have now think they are a lot better than they are, which is not entirely their fault. I blame the club for inflating their egos and to an extent fans who devour every tweet they produce.

SaintMuppet

Team Team Team

It is so much more important how 11 players play together than how good a player is in his own right.

Do we have 11 - 15 players who make an organized and skilled unit?

Does the manager even know his best 11?

No and no, that’s where we are right now. What is going for us is we are a young team and I genuinely think we have already hit bottom and are moving albeit slowly upwards....

AlwaysRed66

Get fecking real will you. Finishing 6th, in a bad season for us, in the toughest league in the world, behind two Champions League finalists and two Europa League finalists is bang average? Get your head checked.
Also, the one club above us that wasn't in any of the finals won the Premiership, & is probably the best side in the world.

dove

Majority of them. Good manager would make many of or players look much better. For example Liverpool's midfield looks quite average to me on paper but Klopp makes them look better than they actually are. Put Klopp or Pep in charge and we would easily finish TOP 4.

snk123

DDG
Pogba
AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Sanchez
Martial
Rashford
Shaw
Greenwood
Chong
Matic

Tel074

Paul is the best midfielder in the world, so "above average" would be an understatement.
Wan-Bissaka is top 3 RB in the world.
Martial still has the potential to become world class in my opinion, but seems to lack the right mentality.

That's it. De Gea used to be absolute world class (#1 GK for a while even) but he's finished, nowhere near Alisson or Ederson now. Maguire is good enough for top 4 fight, but not world class. Rashford lacks the technique and intelligence to be anything but a pace merchant - like Maguire, good enough for top 4 fight but doesn't have the potential to be a top striker for top team. He's barely developed since his debut.

Paul is the best midfielder in the world ? Erm no he isn't

Halal Jalal

You really think that seriously?
Honestly?
He’s not even the best midfielder in Manchester, this love in needs to stop.
How do you figure Pogba is the best midfielder in the world and that AWb is top three rb in the world?
Paul is the best midfielder in the world ? Erm no he isn't
I agree that the AWB claim might be a bit bold, but you have to agree that he's extremely impressive for his age. Especially the physical and defensive attributes. Walker and TAA are probably ahead of him right now... but who else? I don't think there are many world class fullbacks right now, especially RBs. Carvajal declined badly, S. Roberto/Semedo are sh*t, Bayern have a midfielder Kimmich playing there, Juventus just got f*cking Danilo. So even the top continental clubs are struggling with quality in that position, AWB would walk into their starting XIs.
Regarding PP... I see that the haters are out in full force once again. If you're watching the same player I do and refuse to acknowledge the generational talent and quality, there has to be some non-football agenda involved. But lets not get into that and see what the stats have to say:
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/...es_top_5/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
Only Messi and CR7 won more points per 90 minutes in top 5 leagues than Paul previous season. That's a fact not an opnion. How many other midfielders do you see in top 10 of that list? Spoiler alert: 0. His individual contribution is only behind the two players generally considered to be the best in history... and PP is just behind them, playing as central midfielder for a sh*tty struggling team. Show some f*cking respect.

Shark

@NotShark
I ask myself that same question all the time. Not sure where all the Pogba love comes from. Yes, he's a very talented football player, but he reminds me more of Mario Ballitelli than Paul Scholes. I can totally see him getting his transfer to Real Madrid next summer and then see his career fade away after having moments of brilliance but overall being a bust there too...
Brilliant. :lol:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No, what I'm saying is that we had a core of great players and a lot of players (like the ones I listed) who put in a lot of shifts, who had more heart than talent

Withnail

My thoughts exactly... Thanks

fergiesarmy1

I agree that the AWB claim might be a bit bold, but you have to agree that he's extremely impressive for his age. Especially the physical and defensive attributes. Walker and TAA are probably ahead of him right now... but who else? I don't think there are many world class fullbacks right now, especially RBs. Carvajal declined badly, S. Roberto/Semedo are sh*t, Bayern have a midfielder Kimmich playing there, Juventus just got f*cking Danilo. So even the top continental clubs are struggling with quality in that position, AWB would walk into their starting XIs.
Regarding PP... I see that the haters are out in full force once again. If you're watching the same player I do and refuse to acknowledge the generational talent and quality, there has to be some non-football agenda involved. But lets not get into that and see what the stats have to say:
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/...es_top_5/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
Only Messi and CR7 won more points per 90 minutes in top 5 leagues than Paul previous season. That's a fact not an opnion. How many other midfielders do you see in top 10 of that list? Spoiler alert: 0. His individual contribution is only behind the two players generally considered to be the best in history... and PP is just behind them, playing as central midfielder for a sh*tty struggling team. Show some f*cking respect.

So when teams win with Pogba in its down to him but when they lose with him in it it’s because the team isn’t good enough

ok got it.

Halal Jalal

So when teams win with Pogba in its down to him but when they lose with him in it it’s because the team isn’t good enough

ok got it.
What? We won nothing last season, and Paul is still up there with two GOATs in terms of individual contribution to points won. Hardly a logical leap to say that he'd be even better with appropriate team mates around him - after all, he's proven that with Juventus and France already.

fergiesarmy1

What? We won nothing last season, and Paul is still up there with two GOATs in terms of individual contribution to points won. Hardly a logical leap to say that he'd be even better with appropriate team mates around him - after all, he's proven that with Juventus and France already.
Thought we were talking about winning games not trophies, not hard to win the league with Juventus by the way.

Ps you said show some f*cking respect in the same sentence as calling united a shitty struggling team :lol:

Do you support Man Utd or Pogba?

ToToMarshall

DDG - but that being said he's been mediocre for a lot of 2019
AWB - I hope he doesn't catch the disease of mediocrity from us, he's so so good
Maguire - I don't rate him as highly as some and his transfer fee was ridiculous, but he's still a good player
Lindelöf - I rate him, but his performances a lot of the time verge on being borderline mediocre
Pogba - our best player
Martial - our best forward
Rashford - does lots of mediocre things (his set-pieces) but he's a good player with great potential