How many of our squad would really worry you if we lost?

Alex1982

This is an opinion from a Barca fan’s point of view, so take it with a pinch of salt.

The problem with the current Manchester United is that you guys are satisfied with 8/10 players.

Luke Shaw is a solid left back. He is sound defensively and not bad going forward. But when you compare him to Jordi Alba or Marcelo (before this season), he just doesn’t compare at all. He’s not even close. Guys like Marcelo and Alba can win you games on their own.

Chris Smalling seems at least respected on here. He’s a solid defender, but very limited on the ball. Unlike say Chiellini, he’s also not that good of a defender that it negates his limitations as a football.

The reason to why I mention Smalling and Shaw is because they are generally rated on here, unlike guys like Jones and Young.

It’s fine to have some 8/10 players, but if all your outfield players apart from Pogba are decent-but-not-great, then you will get decent-but-not-great results.
Nail on head right there

Most of our first team should be squad players not starters.

Enigma_87

You know who
Pogba
Martial
Rashford
Dalot
Shaw
Lindelof
Smalling
Scott

A bigger list than most I think. Pogba is the only automatic starter.
Really? Ton of better options out there...

My list is:

Rashford
Martial
Shaw
Lindelof
DDG
Pogba

Despite recent feck ups DDG is still top keeper and Pogba is excellent on song - if we sell either of them we need to spend a lot to bring replacements and I'd rather invest in other areas..

MrBest

Probably no one. Everyone is replaceable.the best player we have is De Gea but if we got 80m for him, Oblak is a good replacement. I would not worry about Pogba at all. Great player 2 games out of 10 but is so overhyped. Would france have won the world cup without him? Most likely. Id like to keep Rashford, he is inconsistent but i think in next few years he will come of age really well. Martial frustrates me, so much potential but is just lazy. Id like to keep shaw, i think he has been the best outfield player this year. One of the only players who shows any drive or ambition. On that same note, i would not have said this before but Mctominay. Think he will make a great player in a few years. Lukaku, lingard, matic, jones, smalling, lindeloff, bailey, young, darmian, rojo, ander, andreas and mata - i would not lose any sleep if they went. I am begining to really like Fred, again shows passion and things are starting to click for him. Literally 95%, of this team can go and i would not care. I would care if we lost the youth. Chong greenwood gomes laird garner. I would play them more now.

cyril C

Realistically how many of our squad would be wanted/needed by any of the other teams in the top 6, let alone any of the top teams in Europe? DDG and Pogba perhaps? None of the defenders would be in demand, our attackers are way too inconsistent/not good enough for a top team, our midfield apart from Pogba wouldn't improve any of the top teams in England or Europe.
It's a very sad state of affairs. We need to be more ruthless and cut under-performing players rather then offering new contracts.
Yes BUT both Pogba and DDG want 350K basic up to 500K a week wage. HOW many clubs in Europe can afford this kind of wage and willing to pay them, that is before the fee for Utd. Add Rashford as well asking for 200K.

I would say NONE would be wanted by the Big clubs.

Snuffkin

Since I've been following United there's always been players who've been vital to the success of the side, in that I'd worry that if they were out injured or suspended then we'd struggle. Players like Robbo Eric Keano Rooney RVN Scholes
yes they were leaders, they had experience as well as gravitas
These players were nurtured though. Apart from Eric, they all had an apprenticeship at utd. We need to believe in our players. We've seen they are capable of the best league form in the country. It wasn't luck. I don't think Liverpool have a better team than us. We've got the right manager we maybe need the odd experienced head to be bought to help nurture our kids.

ghagua

Other than Shaw, no one else. De Gea would have been on that list, but his mind seems to be elsewhere nowadays, and I think it's time we got rid of him. As for the others, I would start flogging off the biggest names first. We need players who perform week in, week out. It does not have to be 10/10 performance, but at least a 7 or 8 every game. We just cannot continue to carry players who may dazzle once in a while.

tomaldinho1

Genuinely worry.....none

DDG is a top player but he's running down his contract and has regressed really badly on distribution.
Pogba is a consistently inconsistent great player

Any other top team and you'd have a good three or four untouchable players
City: Ederson, Walker, the entire midfield, Aguero
Lpool: Front three, VVD, Alisson, Robertson, Wijnaldum maybe
Spurs: Kane, Erikssen, Vertonghen, Son
Chelsea: Hazard, Kante, maybe Azpi

tomaldinho1

This is an opinion from a Barca fan’s point of view, so take it with a pinch of salt.

The problem with the current Manchester United is that you guys are satisfied with 8/10 players.

Luke Shaw is a solid left back. He is sound defensively and not bad going forward. But when you compare him to Jordi Alba or Marcelo (before this season), he just doesn’t compare at all. He’s not even close. Guys like Marcelo and Alba can win you games on their own.

Chris Smalling seems at least respected on here. He’s a solid defender, but very limited on the ball. Unlike say Chiellini, he’s also not that good of a defender that it negates his limitations as a football.

The reason to why I mention Smalling and Shaw is because they are generally rated on here, unlike guys like Jones and Young.

It’s fine to have some 8/10 players, but if all your outfield players apart from Pogba are decent-but-not-great, then you will get decent-but-not-great results.
You're being very kind with the 8/10 tag there, in my mind an 8/10 player is a Rakitic, someone who is very good but there are probably a handful of better players out there who could play his role.

I think we've settled for 6/10's - players who are clearly better than the average Premier League footballer but not by a huge margin and are very average technically. Point me to a top 6 PL team and I think you will find better technical players in almost every position across the board.

Inter Yer Nan

Worry? Not sure that's the word. I'd worry if we let De Gea go and didn't get Oblak who has just signed a new long term deal so I'd say De Gea. It's important to keep long standing players especially if they are excellent one's. Problem is we kept Valencia, Young, Jones etc; because they are long standing and nothing to do with quality.

Pogba IMO would be awful to lose. Put a good side with a defined style and not have turds on the field and he'll excel. Some players (for right or wrong) are just more interested and better when the wind is in their sales as opposed to picking sides out of the shit. Pogba is a world class talent and we shouldn't see him achieve titles somewhere else.

We have no other world class players but I really wouldn't like to see the following players leave: Shaw, Lindelof, McTominay, Dalot (he's still too young to make judgement on), Rashford and of course DDG and Pogba. The rest? I wouldn't bat an eyelid and in fact I'd drive the following to the exit my self: Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Young, Valencia, Matic, Mata (much as I like the man), Sanchez, Lukaku, Bailly. The likes of Martial, Lingard, Herrera, Smalling I can see a use for but aren't building nothing around.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
McTominay
Fred
Dalot
Shaw
Lindeloff

The rest can all feck off for all I care.

witchtrials

It depends a lot on how the club responded.

These players I think are good enough to play a significant role in a high quality squad, and I would be concerned about the club replacing them properly:
Herrera
Lindelöf
Martial
Rashford
Romero (as backup)
Shaw
...possibly Lingard too.

There are two I think it would be very difficult to replace:
De Gea
Pogba

Most of the rest, and I don't say this out of any feeling of malice, are just making up the numbers and I suspect any of them could be replaced by players of equivalent quality without much trouble. There is also Dalot, McTominay and maybe one or two others who are promising, can do a job for now and may improve significantly in the future, but it'd be an exaggeration to say I'd be really worried if they left (aside from the symbolism of us shedding decent young prospects).

I should add a caveat to this: I have very little faith in the Glazer regime, so I worry that we could even botch the departures of any of the players who are easily replaceable by not replacing them at all or spending badly.

lsd

The Oracle
Gomes and Greenwood

The rest can be replaced

billybee99

This. I don't think we have a single 8 out 10 player. DDG certainly in past seasons but not now. Pogba is too inconsistent for me.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
How many of our squad would really worry you if we do not lost?
;)

He has revised the title to something which still doesn't make much sense, though I assume English is not his first language, so no bother.
If English is his first language, then ....

I think that DDG is the only players who, I don't want to lose. The rest of the players are expendable.

Reiver

I don't think we even have 8/10 players.
Only player I'd be gutted if we lost is Rashford.

Charles Miller

;)

He has revised the title to something which still doesn't make much sense, though I assume English is not his first language, so no bother.
If English is his first language, then ....

I think that DDG is the only players who, I don't want to lose. The rest of the players are expendable.
I dont want to see De Gea or Pogba going tbh. In the case of Pogba mostly because i believe the club will not replace him with a similar talent and things will get even worse.

RedDevil@84

Does it have to make sense or just emotions??

If it is just emotions, I will be sad (not heart broken) to see the back of DDG, Ander (he is gone), Rashford and Mata.

In terms of contribution to the team, maybe only DDG.

Does not mean I want others to just leave.

wolvored

The question should be how many players would other clubs consider buying. Think you would have a lot of shit left

USREDEVIL

The question should be how many players would other clubs consider buying. Think you would have a lot of shit left
Can i interest you in an experienced English player who can play in both left and right back (lol) called Ashley Young. Or maybe you need a more central defender, we have a man named Mike Smalling who is tremendous (lol). Look around my friend and find something you like.

Jim Reaper

Out of our whole squad who would really really upset you if we sold them tomorrow? De Gea? Then I'm really struggling.

Probably the first time I've felt like that about a United squad.

Carrick was the last one for me, where I was worried what we'd do without him. All our current lot wouldn't worry me in the slightest. We could get that level of performance from any number of players.

Says it all I'd say.
De Gea - I could get over it if we signed Oblak or gave D.Henderson a shot and it worked.

Lindelof - I think there is a great CB waiting to bloom and he just needs a steady and quality partner.

Shaw - I love how he has improved after everything he has dealt with. Not many better LB's in the league when he is on form.

Pogba - I really would prefer to keep him and have a midfield that is balanced around him. 150m plus would be hard to turn down and if a highly talented creative midfielder replaced him then so be it. No good keeping him if he wanted to leave.

Rashford - Still believe he can turn into a world class striker. Its also important to have some homegrown guys around that understand the club and its history.

Lingard - Unpopular maybe but i feel like he is a great squad player that although he shouldnt be starting, is important to have around and again local.

Martial - still believe in him. This time next season and if he is in the same place he is now, id change my stance.

McTominay - I wanted him gone not long ago because i didnt think he was good enough. Again, its important to have guys like him in the squad. Could be what Darren Fletcher was to us.

Dalot - Love him. Great Potential.

That is all.

Last edited:

wolvored

Can i interest you in an experienced English player who can play in both left and right back (lol) called Ashley Young. Or maybe you need a more central defender, we have a man named Mike Smalling who is tremendous (lol). Look around my friend and find something you like.
:lol:

ManchesterYoda

None at all. Not even De Gea. He's very good shot-stopper, but his distribution is poor and always has been. I miss Schmeichel's epic throwing arm.

ManchesterYoda

Also, Pogba's our best outfield player by a long distance and we could build a great team around him. If he left though, we wouldn't need to build the team around him, we do need to build the team around him if he is on the pitch.

Bestietom

Also, Pogba's our best outfield player by a long distance and we could build a great team around him. If he left though, we wouldn't need to build the team around him, we do need to build the team around him if he is on the pitch.
This is down to IF he really wants to stay here and is more consistent. atm his heart is not here and it is showing in his performances.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
The problem is United probably only have De Gea and Pogba who are guaranteed starters. Maybe you can add Luke Shaw to that.

The rest of the squad is full of players probably good enough to play for the club but not as a reular starter.