How many players do we need to sign this summer?

ReallyUSA

Might get two if we are very lucky and see one of them being a prospect signing/cheap deal
Oh yeah we aren't getting those. Just wanted to be honest. CDM and CB are top priorities. Then I would saw we need a winger and a backup RB.

croadyman

Oh yeah we aren't getting those. Just wanted to be honest. CDM and CB are top priorities. Then I would saw we need a winger and a backup RB.
Think the club see ST & CB as the top two priorities followed by RW & DM

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why do we need to buy so many players? I thought we had an amazing Academy, starting since 2013?

ReallyUSA

Think the club see ST & CB as the top two priorities followed by RW & DM
Yeah, I can see why a 9 is needed, but the team has only two creative outlets. I think Cavani was getting a little over 2 shots a game, and we all thought he was a Godsend two months ago. I rather we alternate Martial and Greenwood at striker, get a CB to replace either of the starters, and a DM that allows our other pivot to go forward and help with attack. A big name striker would be nice, but it doesn't fix the main issue of the team. RW won't happen unless it's one of the hybrids from Sancho's cloth because they just spent big on that kid. Whatever, I just hope we do quick business.

Matthew84!

A striker and a centre back, if we get Haaland we'd score more from set pieces as he's huge and he'd help us concede fewer, if we get a big commanding CB too, I think that will do unless Pogba leaves

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Be realistic, you can't expect us to upgrade and buy everyone in one transfer window.

CB and striker are in what I have in mind. If we can't get a striker, I'm still okay with CB and a right winger only. Basically CB and attacker if Pogba stays.

UpWithRivers

It doesnt really matter which position because we can argue for 3 or 4 that need upgrading. We just need players that are a step up. If we get a Lindelof replacement thats faster but worse on the ball then whats the point. Or a replacement for Pogba who is 18 and ready in 3/4 years whats the point. I would be happy with a top class first teamer in a any of CB, CM, RW, CF. That means one of Haaland, Sancho, Varane, Rice(although not sure) as obvious targets. Better yet would be that our scouts can find two or three 30-50 mill players that turn out to be much better than originally thought. But right away not in 3 years

Olecurls99

Goalkeeper : No need
Henderson - Looks the best choice and good enough to grow into the role. Good in the air, commanding his area and good at setting up fast attacks. Good save stats this year too.
De Gea - A great busy goalie but a poor good team goalie. Awful in the air and commanding his area. Expensive back up unless we can get €50 million.
Grant - Very good backup
Free the Romero 1

Right full : No need
Wan Bissaka - Improving in possession, under the ball, creating and knocking off. The best one on one defender in the world.
Williams - Good backup and needs more chances. Very tidy on the ball and great lad.

Left full : No need
Shaw - One of the best players in the league. Always showed the ability but now without injuries he's showing it consistently.
Telles - Good backup. Tidy on the ball. Decent defender.

Centre back : No need
Maguire - Shocking start to the season for a number of reasons but overall he's a top defender who reads the game brilliantly.
Lindelof - Same as Maguire. Not as strong but quicker and more agile. Loads of clean sheets recently and looking far more comfortable with Henderson behind.
Tuanzebe - Needs more games. Maybe a loan next year under the stipulation that we get him back instantly if we need him.
Bailly - Very good backup. Quicker than the other 2 and a great backup.

Centre mid : No need if we keep Pogba and Donny gets a run as our creative number 8.
Fred - The best harrier in England. Lacks creativity obviously.
Mctominay - Always improving. Lacking creativity and composure.
Matic - Great on the ball but aging. Good backup.

Attack. In need of Jack Grealish
Martial - Needs to show City form and needs to play centrally. Won't play wing.
Fernandes - Already a legend but needs help creating. Pogba Donny and Grealish to hopefully help out more next year.
Rashford - Great on the break. Poor at breaking buses.
Greenwood - Improving all the time. Can become a 9 or a Salah11
Diallo - No opinion yet but lots of hope.
James - Good 'certain game' player

Everyone else can go, one way or another. So just Grealish please

Jaxa

Goalkeeper : No need
Henderson - Looks the best choice and good enough to grow into the role. Good in the air, commanding his area and good at setting up fast attacks. Good save stats this year too.
De Gea - A great busy goalie but a poor good team goalie. Awful in the air and commanding his area. Expensive back up unless we can get €50 million.
Grant - Very good backup
Free the Romero 1

Right full : No need
Wan Bissaka - Improving in possession, under the ball, creating and knocking off. The best one on one defender in the world.
Williams - Good backup and needs more chances. Very tidy on the ball and great lad.

Left full : No need
Shaw - One of the best players in the league. Always showed the ability but now without injuries he's showing it consistently.
Telles - Good backup. Tidy on the ball. Decent defender.

Centre back : No need
Maguire - Shocking start to the season for a number of reasons but overall he's a top defender who reads the game brilliantly.
Lindelof - Same as Maguire. Not as strong but quicker and more agile. Loads of clean sheets recently and looking far more comfortable with Henderson behind.
Tuanzebe - Needs more games. Maybe a loan next year under the stipulation that we get him back instantly if we need him.
Bailly - Very good backup. Quicker than the other 2 and a great backup.

Centre mid : No need if we keep Pogba and Donny gets a run as our creative number 8.
Fred - The best harrier in England. Lacks creativity obviously.
Mctominay - Always improving. Lacking creativity and composure.
Matic - Great on the ball but aging. Good backup.

Attack. In need of Jack Grealish
Martial - Needs to show City form and needs to play centrally. Won't play wing.
Fernandes - Already a legend but needs help creating. Pogba Donny and Grealish to hopefully help out more next year.
Rashford - Great on the break. Poor at breaking buses.
Greenwood - Improving all the time. Can become a 9 or a Salah11
Diallo - No opinion yet but lots of hope.
James - Good 'certain game' player

Everyone else can go, one way or another. So just Grealish please
So after watching us all season and all those draws/last minute goals/sitters missed from our attackers you think the only change we need is to sign Jack Grealish to make up the difference to City and progress further/win the Champions league ?

Deary me, Tbh I should have stopped reading at "Grant - Very good backup" :lol:

kthanksbye

Assuming no one leaves. We need a RW and a CB to keep us where we are.
In order to improve, we'll need to bring in a CF and a DM too.

Scotsfan

Only the most ambitious transfer window in the club's history requiring a cheque from the owners for just 150 million.

Out: De Gea (25m), Jones (free), Bailly (20m), Matic (10m), Pogba (60m), Pereira (10m), Mata (free), Lingaard (15m) and Martial (50m) = 190m
In: Donnarumma (free), Milenkovic (30m), White (30m), Camavinga (50m), Sancho (80m) and Haaland (150m) = 340m

Not a bad squad:

Donnarumma/ Henderson
Maguire/Tuanzebe
Milenkovic/ Lindelof
Wan-Bissaka/ Williams
Shaw/Telles
Camavinga/ White
Fred/ McTominay
Bruno/ Van de Beek
Rashford/ James
Sancho/ Diallo
Haaland/ Greenwood

Last edited:

Robbo 7

This depends a lot on who might leave.

Cavani
Pogba
DDG/Henderson

If none of the above leave, I'd put a RW and CB as a top priority. I would guess we'll make 1-2 'first team' signings, and a couple of prospects. We signed Amad in January, so hope that doesn't come out of the summer budget.

Flying high

This depends a lot on who might leave.

Cavani
Pogba
DDG/Henderson

If none of the above leave, I'd put a RW and CB as a top priority. I would guess we'll make 1-2 'first team' signings, and a couple of prospects. We signed Amad in January, so hope that doesn't come out of the summer budget.
Given he was announced last summer, that would be a tough sell, even to our fanbase.

OleBoiii

Must:
1. A top class goalscorer. Preferably Haaland.
2. A defensive midfielder ala Carrick. We need someone who's smart and doesn't needlessly lose possession.

Optional:
3. A quick CB. This is not optional if we do poorly with the two signings above.
4. If number 1 is a CF, then a wide forward. If number 1 is a wide forward, then a CF.

Sell Pogba and Lingard to finance a large chunk of the above transfers. Possibly Martial and Cavani as well.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Must:
1. A top class goalscorer. Preferably Haaland.
2. A defensive midfielder ala Carrick. We need someone who's smart and doesn't needlessly lose possession.

Optional:
3. A quick CB. This is not optional if we do poorly with the two signings above.
4. If number 1 is a CF, then a wide forward. If number 1 is a wide forward, then a CF.

Sell Pogba and Lingard to finance a large chunk of the above transfers. Possibly Martial and Cavani as well.
Agreed. A proper 30 goal a season striker and a DM will solve 90% of our issues.

We basically have 2 problems:
1. Creating/Scoring against low block - A proper DM means we can play Bruno+ creative MF instead of going the McFred route. A proper goalscorer who can smell goals and create that movement to find pockets will help us score more against the low blocks

2. Defence seems fragile - A DM again would help reduce the chances we concede. Basically, someone who can cut off the attacks at the source, intercept dangerous balls and smell danger and shield the defence. A fast DM would cover Maguire's lack of recovery pace as well - When we attack, our DM slots in between the 2 CBs forming a flat back 3. So, having a DM who can just guide the opposition attacker away from dangerous positions while we get back into shape will solve most of our issues

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I know this is a fantasy thread but I laugh at posts suggesting the club sell Pogba for £60 million or thereabouts. Real Madrid are broke and Pogba will be coming into the final year of his contract, if any club make a bid it will be derisory to the point there is no point accepting.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A Right winger and Striker is my priority list. A CDM and CB is also high on the list but the club already has a rule that it wont buy more than 2-3 players per window as to not upset the balance and integrity of the squad

Sancho and Haaland will without a doubt cost £200m. I don't think the club has it in them to invest that wildly before we know fans can be in the grounds.

Infra-red

I know this is a fantasy thread but I laugh at posts suggesting the club sell Pogba for £60 million or thereabouts. Real Madrid are broke and Pogba will be coming into the final year of his contract, if any club make a bid it will be derisory to the point there is no point accepting.
I assume that Pogba will be involved in some kind of player swap with either Real Madrid or Juventus. As you say, we won't get much money for him now.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I assume that Pogba will be involved in some kind of player swap with either Real Madrid or Juventus. As you say, we won't get much money for him now.
If the club are looking to move him on rather than lose him for nothing then yes, this would make sense. Varane makes sense as they are the same age and coming into the final year of their contract.

SuperiorXI

It depends what our ambitions are. Lets be honest under the Glazers the ambition will be top 4 so I expect probably a shiny new RW, maybe Sancho and then some chancer fringe players and maybe a youth player thrown in.

We need a lot more than that if we want a chance of winning anything serious.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

To challenge for the title we need a centre back, a right back, a proper defensive midfielder, a right winger & a striker.

if Pogba leaves, add a creative midfielder to that list.

Given that challenging for the title is not important to our board, I suspect we will make 1 big signing this summer, and continue to challenge for top 4. The fans who buy Into this “project” are doing exactly what the Glazers want you to do. Remember that.

Olecurls99

So after watching us all season and all those draws/last minute goals/sitters missed from our attackers you think the only change we need is to sign Jack Grealish to make up the difference to City and progress further/win the Champions league ?

Deary me, Tbh I should have stopped reading at "Grant - Very good backup" :lol:
Yep. Grealish will be our Van Dijk signing

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

A Right winger and Striker is my priority list. A CDM and CB is also high on the list but the club already has a rule that it wont buy more than 2-3 players per window as to not upset the balance and integrity of the squad

Sancho and Haaland will without a doubt cost £200m. I don't think the club has it in them to invest that wildly before we know fans can be in the grounds.
You just made that up, didn’t you?

If you want to justify the Glazers not spending as much as they need to to challenge for a league title have at it, but don’t be lying about a nonexistent of not upsetting the balance & integrity of the squad. That’s utter nonsense. We’ve bought more than 3 players plenty of summers, including this season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You just made that up, didn’t you?

If you want to justify the Glazers not spending as much as they need to to challenge for a league title have at it, but don’t be lying about a nonexistent of not upsetting the balance & integrity of the squad. That’s utter nonsense. We’ve bought more than 3 players plenty of summers, including this season.
Are you actually suggesting that I'm sitting here lying because I've read something you haven't? That's the type of person you are then.

wolvored

Only the most ambitious transfer window in the club's history requiring a cheque from the owners for just 150 million.

Out: De Gea (25m), Jones (free), Bailly (20m), Matic (10m), Pogba (60m), Pereira (10m), Mata (free), Lingaard (15m) and Martial (50m) = 190m
In: Donnarumma (free), Milenkovic (30m), White (30m), Camavinga (50m), Sancho (80m) and Haaland (150m) = 340m

Not a bad squad:

Donnarumma/ Henderson
Maguire/Tuanzebe
Milenkovic/ Lindelof
Wan-Bissaka/ Williams
Shaw/Telles
Camavinga/ White
Fred/ McTominay
Bruno/ Van de Beek
Rashford/ James
Sancho/ Diallo
Haaland/ Greenwood
That's quite an imagination you have there

Jezpeza

To be honest, we need a player at cb, cdm, rw and cf.

I genuinely think that we can chuck the CF option over the fence a year by playing Greenwood, martial and cavani there for now and getting some of the other postions sorted.

dont want to get fifa on it but there are lots of teams out there willing to sell - West Ham and Dortmund have financial issues so Rice and Sancho are two obvious names who are probably reasonably obtainable if we will write the cheques. Also bargains about - Donnarumma free agent, milenkovic into last year etc.

just have a horrible feeling that we needed all those players last summer and instead focused on getting a back up cm player and a backup leftback, which though we needed, were lower priority than the starting 11 players we lacked.

must hope that the likes of romero, grant, mata being out of contract and some small fees for lingard, pereira, jones, chong, dalot etc can be enough to free up some finance and boost our budget, so we can get a couple in.

what we absolutely do not need is any more prospects - our academy is loaded and so is our squad with the likes of williams, diallo, greenwood. This has to be the summer where we sign the players. Personally, i would do a backflip if we could get a centre back, holding midfielder and right winger in

wolvored

To be honest, we need a player at cb, cdm, rw and cf.

I genuinely think that we can chuck the CF option over the fence a year by playing Greenwood, martial and cavani there for now and getting some of the other postions sorted.

dont want to get fifa on it but there are lots of teams out there willing to sell - West Ham and Dortmund have financial issues so Rice and Sancho are two obvious names who are probably reasonably obtainable if we will write the cheques. Also bargains about - Donnarumma free agent, milenkovic into last year etc.

just have a horrible feeling that we needed all those players last summer and instead focused on getting a back up cm player and a backup leftback, which though we needed, were lower priority than the starting 11 players we lacked.

must hope that the likes of romero, grant, mata being out of contract and some small fees for lingard, pereira, jones, chong, dalot etc can be enough to free up some finance and boost our budget, so we can get a couple in.

what we absolutely do not need is any more prospects - our academy is loaded and so is our squad with the likes of williams, diallo, greenwood. This has to be the summer where we sign the players. Personally, i would do a backflip if we could get a centre back, holding midfielder and right winger in
That's why we need a CF because Martial Greenwood and Cavani ain't doing it. It's no use going another season on a wing and a prayer

Jezpeza

That's why we need a CF because Martial Greenwood and Cavani ain't doing it. It's no use going another season on a wing and a prayer
yeah i agree with that but we arent getting 4 positions in a summer when all 4 are starting standard. We are looking 60 million a player or more x4.

our issue hasn't really been scoring goals this year its been defending as well so I think we are best to get the other positions done first as theres not really any alternatives in those positions.

Lay

A more attacking right back that we can play against lesser sides. AWB can play against the big teams.

a dominant centre back, especially in the air.

A defensive midfielder

Right winger

Striker

Hughes35

We must sign a proper CF, no excuses.

After that we could do with a DM, CB (Unless Bailly looks like he's fixed), RW.

We usually sign 2-3 players a summer. Hopefully we get 3 good signings.

Eire Red United

Who are they and who do they replace
Shaw, Bruno and Pogba easily. Maguire>Stones too. Fit Cavani is also better than Jesus. Last seasons Martial at his best would as well although he’s obviously disappeared. Fit and in form Rashford starts for them imo or at worst makes a very good argument too.

tomaldinho1

I still think RW is everything. Get some balance in the team again and then build from there. Sancho, for me, would be more important than Haaland to us being able to compete with the best teams. Ideally we get both but let's not be greedy :angel: