How many players do we need to sign this summer?

RedIan

Realistically we wont sign more than 3, if we get 3 i will be delighted. RW is always said to be a priority, for me its a luxury.

Priority
1.centre half so we can stop playing 2 holding midfielders to protect our slow suspect defence.
2. DM a box to box player - The current 3 Fred McT and Matic are not good enough to win titles.
3. Haaland -

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
The stats don't lie...
Pogba managed 16 appearances last season scoring 3 goals with 3 assists and 19 appearances this season scoring 1 goal with 0 assists.
Compare that to McTominay who played 27 games last season with 4 goals, 1 assist and 24 games this season with 4 goals, 1 assist.
Pogba is talented no doubt but overrated and along with injuries and fitness issues, I just don't think he's worth what we pay him every week.
It shouldn't be too difficult to find another midfielder who is an improvement in terms of appearances, goals, assists, workrate etc. He is stealing a living the last two seasons, being paid as one of the top players n the EPL, only appearing in 35 out of 66 games (barely over half) and rarely playing like he supposedly can. Yes Pogba is famous and one of the most recognisable footballers currently but let's face it...it's not for his exploits on the football field.
Pogba has 4 goals and 2 assists this season by the way but that's besides the point. The real value of that position isn't necessarily the goals and assists it creates but how it helps facilitate the control of games and transition of defense to attack, being able to pass through the lines. These are all things McTominay just doesn't do well enough. Pogba is not only able to do this, he also can also get into to final third and create .

I agree with you on the injuries, There's a famous quote that "The best ability is available" so yeah, we need the player to be more available, playing half the games isn't good enough. I just don't think if we let go of Pogba, the club will replace him with the right quality as well as fill the others needs of the team.

superdry

touched by a genius
Preferably players who don't have there own bed in the treatment room!

croadyman

I don't think we'll be buying 4 players, and I believe if Amad can get himself up and going then he and Mason can provide enough from RW for atleast the next season
Totally agree I could see us signing an absolute maximum of two and convinced neither will be that DM we still badly need, also worry that if Pogba goes he won't be replaced properly either but then can't see many takers in this market

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If we have any aspirations to compete for major honours, we absolutely cannot have a summer like we did this season!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A CB and either a RW or a Striker (World class). If Pogba goes, then another MF.

skimminstones

desperately need a quick, strong centre back and a proper forward that occupies a defence. Some creativity in midfield wouldnt go amiss either

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Go through our squad and ask yourself, in all seriousness, how many of those players would start for Everton or Aston Villa. Its embarrassing. We are miles off Man City.

Eire Red United

Go through our squad and ask yourself, in all seriousness, how many of those players would start for Everton or Aston Villa. Its embarrassing. We are miles off Man City.
Quite a few would start for City so we aren’t as far off as you’re making out...

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
To compete for the biggest trophies we would probably need at least 3 quality players. Someone like Haaland alone would put us in the title race I think.

Crashoutcassius

I think we need to sign quality and not quantity. Especially if pogba leaves. Problem is we need a high quantity of quality... Two this summer and two next summer of CB, cm, RW, st at the right level. This summer centre mid to replace pogba and a striker of the highest level, Lukaku money. If pogba doesn't go then maybe look at signing a centre back

Mylock

Minimum 2 this year. A CH to help play a high line. Someone like Delcan Rice as a DM if pogba stay but if he leaves we need a replacement for Pogba. If Cavani leaves this year,we will also need a striker, if not we'll need one next year.

VivaRonaldo85

A top class prolific centre forward is the priority watching us these days. That alone would bridge the gap to city.

AgentSmith

It’s impossible to properly answer without knowing whether Pogba and Cavani will be here next year.

If both leave the list of players we’d need becomes far beyond whatever our transfer budget would be able to accommodate.

If both stay I think a top-class RW and a fast CB are the two priorities. A back-up RB would be a cheap 3rd.

A CF like Haaland or Kane would be transformative but I don’t think we’ll be in a position to be able to obtain them. The next level down (Andre Silva, Calvert-Lewin, Ings etc.) wouldn’t have the same effect and we’d be much better off prioritising RW. It’s a similar story for CDM - the best options would cost an arm and a leg and the cheaper options aren’t better than the existing options.

Having said all that, if Haaland is available and willing to join us it’s not a discussion. It doesn’t matter what your needs are, he’s the answer regardless.

Last edited:

croadyman

It’s impossible to properly answer without knowing whether Pogba and Cavani will be here next year.

If both leave the list of players we’d need becomes far beyond whatever our transfer budget would be able to accommodate.

If both stay I think a top-class RW and a fast CB are the two priorities. A back-up RB would be a cheap 3rd.

A CF like Haaland or Kane would be transformative but I don’t think we’ll be in a position to be able to obtain them. The next level down (Andre Silva, Calvert-Lewin, Ings etc.) wouldn’t have the same effect and we’d be much better off prioritising RW. It’s a similar story for CDM - the best options would cost an arm and a leg and the cheaper options aren’t better than the existing options.

Having said all that, if Haaland is available and willing to join us it’s a not a discussion. It doesn’t matter what your needs are, he’s the answer regardless.
Who would you go for on the RW as think we will priced out for Sancho again so will need to look at a cheaper option

AgentSmith

Who would you go for on the RW as think we will priced out for Sancho again so will need to look at a cheaper option
Raphinha seems the most logical alternative if we’re looking to save money.

The fact that we could potentially include Dan James to lower the price further makes the deal even more attractive.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
if we only got Sancho this summer and kept Pogba and Cavani that’s a big boost in quality and cover across a few positions. It’s still such a no brainier which makes the fact they didn’t just get it done last summer all the more mind boggling. He’s the most creative player in Europe in a position we have no cover in. He’s English. He wants to come and It’s effectively set us back a full year from the optimum rebuild time. If both haaland and Sancho go this summer then we are missing out on one or even both of them. It’s poor enough management on the clubs part to keep kicking the can down the road and potentially end up in situations like these instead of even just steadily improving with at least one starting quality signing every summer.

cyril C

Bad example. Every single one of them would start for Everton or Villa. In fact, our cast away Lingard plays every game. Of course, if you ask how many of our players would start for PSG, BM or RM, then perhaps less than half will start, 1/3 will not get the bench.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
ST: Kane/Haaland/Memphis
CB: Milenković/Koundé/Varane
CM: Saúl/Camavinga

The luxury signing would be Sancho/Grealish. But hope to see more of Diallo/Hannibal next season.

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
I'm surprised that people are still focusing on the RW position. I think that was definitely a necessity for United a few months ago when Greenwood went off the boil but looking at his last few games, he seems to be finding his form again, certainly to the point where you start to believe that he's about to kick on.

Honestly, looking at United's recent form, I'm almost more concerned about Rashford. I'm not saying that Rashford isn't the better player now because he is, but it just feels like in a years time, we could well be saying that Greenwood is one of the first names on the team sheet whereas Rashford is still infuriating to watch. Rashford should get better but some of his finishing and work in the final third is really frustrating to watch and it's cost United points already this season.

Going back to the RW position, I think I'd like United to probably focus on giving that spot to Greenwood and Diallo on a consistent basis. That'd be a gamble next year, absolutely, but even if they're not at their peak yet, both are exciting prospects. I like Raphinha but I'm not sure he's a better option than Greenwood, who needs game time to fulfill his promise.

The obvious glaring weakness for United at the moment is a striker. Haaland, Martinez, Dybala, Kane, Griezmann, Felix...I think they could all do a job, although quite different talents. Any of them would add more points to this United team than any other individual player. United aren't feared with the ball but if you had Haaland or Martinez as the striker, I think that changes defences and makes it easier for the likes of Rashford and Greenwood.

lex talionis

Assuming the following:

We keep our regular starters
We can only afford two signings

Then a CF and a DM. If we can’t afford the CF we want then a RW.

But I must state my belief that Greenwood had a brighter future as a RW than as a CF. But if we bring in Sancho because we cannot bring in Haaland, then Greenwood as our CF.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
If we got 4 top quality players (CF, RW, DM, CB) we would be absolutely in business and I think we could win the title providing some luck aswell.

croadyman

If we got 4 top quality players (CF, RW, DM, CB) we would be absolutely in business and I think we could win the title providing some luck aswell.
We are run by yankee leeches rather than oil giants so best to lower your expectations, well unless of course you were talking over 2/3 windows in which case that might just be possible

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Assuming the following:

We keep our regular starters
We can only afford two signings

Then a CF and a DM. If we can’t afford the CF we want then a RW.

But I must state my belief that Greenwood had a brighter future as a RW than as a CF
. But if we bring in Sancho because we cannot bring in Haaland, then Greenwood as our CF.
This is where I really disagree tbh. I don't see Greenwood ever becoming more than an average player if we push him on the wing. As a striker, can be world class. On the wing, entirely mediocre. The only thing he can do from the wing is he occasionally puts in a good cross. But his movement isn't that of a wingers, his dribbling isn't that of a wingers, his spacial awareness isn't isn't of a wingers. Nothing about him looks like a winger to me tbh, and its why he is most of the time completely ineffective there. He'll be a striker without a doubt IMO.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
3 first team players is the max we should be looking at for the sake of continuity and growth. It’s down to what I think should be priority right now.
1 CM ( box to box) it’s all good having brilliant passing ability but at times we just need a player that can just be a bully when the need arises.
2 RW(right footed) Ole always tries to keep 3 at the back when in attack, with this some of the limitations from RB will be bearable.To stretch the back line as well.
3 Pau Torres the more I watch the lad, I want him more. Don’t care where he plays.
Id lean more towards combative nature in players than general ability this summer because most of the players we’d be looking at are already brilliant footballers anyway. We get outfought a lot more than fans care to admit, a reason we find it hard to control games.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Need a leading centreback to partner Harry.

we also badly need a forward if Cavani moves on. None of Martial and Rashers are showing the form needed as a consistent attacker on the box. Greenwood is still learning his trade.

In this climate - concentrate on those 2 - majority of the squad is still young so that will keep us going next year - while not challenging for a title it would help us over the line in those 12 or so points dropped in those bottom of the table oppositions

I would have previously had a RW high up on the list. But no point having someone like Sancho (an example only, far too expensive in this market) in if the movement in the middle is dogshit.

red4ever 79

It's a groundhog question we have every summer and the answer doesnt change

CB
CDM
RW

If Pogba and Cavani leave then further replacements are needed.

SoCross

1. We desperately need more creativity from midfield.
2. A consistent striker.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I don’t think it was the tape - it was the meeting when they all watched it. Neville described that meeting as being awful and Roy said something to SAF which there was no coming back from. Neville said he knew it was finished at the end of that meeting.

SoCross

Pretty much this. I am tempted to say that Greenwood can make the spot his own next season, but its probably still to early for him

If Pogba leaves we need to replace him, same with Martial
At least three creators on the pitch needed for me. Bruno, someone from central mid (Pogba), a RW? Real bonus having Shaw in the form he is.

LW, striker and Bruno to be the goal-getters plus sharing around the goals.

lex talionis

This is where I really disagree tbh. I don't see Greenwood ever becoming more than an average player if we push him on the wing. As a striker, can be world class. On the wing, entirely mediocre. The only thing he can do from the wing is he occasionally puts in a good cross. But his movement isn't that of a wingers, his dribbling isn't that of a wingers, his spacial awareness isn't isn't of a wingers. Nothing about him looks like a winger to me tbh, and its why he is most of the time completely ineffective there. He'll be a striker without a doubt IMO.
Greenwood is an interesting question, isn't he? I see him making a very positive contribution either as a RW or a CF, but what I do not see him ever evolving into is the kind of ruthless striker Haaland already is today, or that Ruud or Rooney were. Or even Berbatov.

I was worried for Greenwood last season when used him as a RW but he won me over as a player who not only embraced the role but excelled in it. This season he's hit a bit of a wall, but we all know he got off the wrong foot at the beginning of the season and he's only now finding top form again. There's no wrong answer for Greenwood, CF or RW, and at least for me he just doesn't have anywhere near the physical strength or technical ability of Haaland and if there's a chance to bring Haaland in we can't let that chance go to waste. But if we can't (we who think there is a chance may all be smoking peyote) and instead bring in Sancho then I do think we have our CF sorted out with Greenwood, though we will have to be careful not to set expectations too high for him.