How many players do we need to sign this summer?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think a center forward and center back are bare minimum. A right winger would be nice and a back up right back would be good. A midfielder if Pogba leaves unless Van de Beek is expected to make a leap in his second season.

Eire Red United

Three potential first team players. Defence, midfield and attack. Two potential squad players. Defence and midfield. Potential as in Telles I assume was ment to be a squad player and DvB and Cavani were ment to be potential first teamers, at the very least squad. Sell those never playing along with DvB, Pogba and possibly Martial. Extend Cavanis loan
Cavani isn’t on loan is he? And no chance are we selling Vdb after a season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
1. Grealish or Sancho - Cash
2. Rice - Cash plus Lingard
3. Kounde or Pau Torres - Cash

All attainable and realistic IMO, and addressed our needs. Other deals that I think would be huge for us but much harder to pull off:

4. Swap deal involving Pogba and Verratti.
5. Martial as a makeweight in a deal for Haaland.

I also really like Ben Godfrey at Everton, and Toney at Brentford.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Cavani isn’t on loan is he? And no chance are we selling Vdb after a season.
I got confused, you're right. I'm all for selling VDB. He's done nothing and don't look like he will anytime soon.

VivaRonaldo85

One top class DM to do the job of McTominay and Fred and so we only need to play with one DM rather than two whoever the opposition.Then keep McFred as squad players and Matic moves on.

One top class CB to partner Maguire. Lindelof and Bailly are squad players and Tuanzebe can go out on loan or move on.

One top class Right sided forward to bring balance to the front 3. Amad and Martial become squad players next season.

Pogba likely leaves which thrusts VDB into the first team more. Is he good enough, who knows but at £40 million, you’d hope we get a return.

Henderson replaces De Gea and De Gea moves on as he won’t be a number two.

So three signings for now. Assuming Cavani can play next season dove tailing with Greenwood, an out and out world class goal scoring number 9 must be the priority next summer. I don’t see us getting that one in as well this summer.

croadyman

One top class DM to do the job of McTominay and Fred and so we only need to play with one DM rather than two whoever the opposition.Then keep McFred as squad players and Matic moves on.

One top class CB to partner Maguire. Lindelof and Bailly are squad players and Tuanzebe can go out on loan or move on.

One top class Right sided forward to bring balance to the front 3. Amad and Martial become squad players next season.

Pogba likely leaves which thrusts VDB into the first team more. Is he good enough, who knows but at £40 million, you’d hope we get a return.

Henderson replaces De Gea and De Gea moves on as he won’t be a number two.

So three signings for now. Assuming Cavani can play next season dove tailing with Greenwood, an out and out world class goal scoring number 9 must be the priority next summer. I don’t see us getting that one in as well this summer.
You have absolutely nailed it in terms of what we need to bring in this summer, however like you said we will get half of that and only if we are able to sell some players in order to fund these moves. I would be very surprised if De Gea is moved on due to the mental money involved and just cannot see us being willing to write off around £18m a year

RedDevilzFox

We'll get one player at most, 2 if PP leaves. All these lists of players is wishful thinking.

Teja

There is absolutely no way in hell that the glazers fund a £150 million summer spend on Haaland and Sancho. I think the latter ship has sailed with the signing of Diallo. Haaland will have his pick of the lot and sorry to say, a more ambitious oiled back club has the inside track and will blow us out of the water this summer to get him.
Why do you think that given we've spent around that amount fairly consistently? (Figures in USD, only incoming, not net figures)

15/16: 160m
16/17: 200m
17/18: 220m
18/19: 90m
19/20: 250m
20/21: 91m

I'm also willing to bet that we will go in for Sancho and we're not planning for Diallo to start on the right next year.

Haaland: Ole hinted that he's still interested. I think we'll be in for him, whether we get him or not is a different question. The Spanish and Italian clubs are broke, Pool don't have the money, Bayern have Lewa. So it's effectively us, Chelsea, City and PSG. I think United and Chelsea are the most desperate here, so odds aren't bad esp. given relationship with Ole.

Giggsy13

Why do you think that given we've spent around that amount fairly consistently? (Figures in USD, only incoming, not net figures)

15/16: 160m
16/17: 200m
17/18: 220m
18/19: 90m
19/20: 250m
20/21: 91m

I'm also willing to bet that we will go in for Sancho and we're not planning for Diallo to start on the right next year.

Haaland: Ole hinted that he's still interested. I think we'll be in for him, whether we get him or not is a different question. The Spanish and Italian clubs are broke, Pool don't have the money, Bayern have Lewa. So it's effectively us, Chelsea, City and PSG. I think United and Chelsea are the most desperate here, so odds aren't bad esp. given relationship with Ole.
We will not be in a position to spend £150 million in one summer with the financial effects of Covid. Even in good times we haven’t shown that level of ambition. We lost out on Sancho last year after being the only club chasing him. Chelsea will rival our interest this summer and actually complete the signing because they have an owner who’s willing to splurge his own wealth to build a winner.

Whether Ole continues to maintain an interest in Haaland means nothing, if a move for him is vetoed by our owners, which they most certainly will knowing there is a buyout clause that goes into effect next season. IMO, Haaland will stay at Dortmund another year, so that a greater number of clubs can come to the table next season when his release clause kicks in. Haaland and Raiola won’t settle fo United, they’re far too smart for that. The fact they were prepared to put in a release clause as a condition for signing with us shows they only viewed United as a stepping stone rather than a long term option. City or Madrid are the likeliest destinations.

I think many will be disappointed if they think their will be a fire sale this summer. Clubs will absorb the financial losses knowing that revenues will likely return to normal or close to it next season with the major countries being vaccinated. It’ll be the same old from Ed and Joel Glazer.

Teja

We will not be in a position to spend £150 million in one summer with the financial effects of Covid. Even in good times we haven’t shown that level of ambition. We lost out on Sancho last year after being the only club chasing him. Chelsea will rival our interest this summer and actually complete the signing because they have an owner who’s willing to splurge his own wealth to build a winner.
The bolded part is clearly not true - I just showed you data that says we spent 150m almost every year for the past 6-7 years and you keep repeating this.

Re: the financial effects of COVID: We were ready to spend 80-90m by all accounts during peak COVID uncertainty. Not going overboard and spending 120m on Sancho I think was the right decision - even Dortmund admit they'd have to let him go for a lot cheaper this year. Despite not signing Sancho, we've spent ~70m last year - our mix of revenues between Matchday, Commercial and TV rights means that we can afford to spend even though we lost out on all matchday revenue last year.

https://ir.manutd.com/company-information/business-model.aspx

627M total revenue - 275M commercial, 241M broadcasting, 110M matchday.

Whether Ole continues to maintain an interest in Haaland means nothing, if a move for him is vetoed by our owners, which they most certainly will knowing there is a buyout clause that goes into effect next season. IMO, Haaland will stay at Dortmund another year, so that a greater number of clubs can come to the table next season when his release clause kicks in. Haaland and Raiola won’t settle fo United, they’re far too smart for that. The fact they were prepared to put in a release clause as a condition for signing with us shows they only viewed United as a stepping stone rather than a long term option. City or Madrid are the likeliest destinations.

I think many will be disappointed if they think their will be a fire sale this summer. Clubs will absorb the financial losses knowing that revenues will likely return to normal or close to it next season with the major countries being vaccinated. It’ll be the same old from Ed and Joel Glazer.
The whole thing is obviously predicated on the assumption that Haaland actually wants to come. If you say he'll hold out until next year and Raiola won't let him go to United, then there's not a lot to argue about there - this won't be the first player we missed out on and won't be the last.

No point criticizing the owners / Woodward if a player decides he doesn't want to come.

Giggsy13

The bolded part is clearly not true - I just showed you data that says we spent 150m almost every year for the past 6-7 years and you keep repeating this.

Re: the financial effects of COVID: We were ready to spend 80-90m by all accounts during peak COVID uncertainty. Not going overboard and spending 120m on Sancho I think was the right decision - even Dortmund admit they'd have to let him go for a lot cheaper this year. Despite not signing Sancho, we've spent ~70m last year - our mix of revenues between Matchday, Commercial and TV rights means that we can afford to spend even though we lost out on all matchday revenue last year.

https://ir.manutd.com/company-information/business-model.aspx

627M total revenue - 275M commercial, 241M broadcasting, 110M matchday.

The whole thing is obviously predicated on the assumption that Haaland actually wants to come. If you say he'll hold out until next year and Raiola won't let him go to United, then there's not a lot to argue about there - this won't be the first player we missed out on and won't be the last.

No point criticizing the owners / Woodward if a player decides he doesn't want to come.
You posted USD spend. We don’t spend £150 million every season. You also didn’t take into account player sales meaning our net spend the last few years has been about £70 to £80 million. Ole’s first summer saw the sale of Lukaku and failure to bring in a CF replacement. Last season we sold Smalling, failed to purchase a replacement. Jose wanted a CB, instead the club bought Fred, Grant and a RB. I can go on and on over mismanagement, false promises and terrible spending. Our budget this year will be even more heavily dependent on sales and we’d arguably be taking a step back if we sell Pogba.

I’m a football supporter and I could give a feck about the glazers saving money on Sancho. If they had any level of ambition of prioritizing trophy wins over saving money on a transfer, we’d have the right side of our attack sorted for the next 10 years. Instead they took a cheaper alternative in Diallo. This could prove a master stroke but we won’t know for the next few years since he’s clearly not the finished product.

I’m not the one spouting on about us getting Haaland, that’s your view. You’re right the owners can’t be blamed for the fact Haaland has better options, but they certainly can be blamed for overseeing the decline of United over the last 8 years.

SwedishFish

3 as per usual.

Sancho/Haaland.
A CB.
Rice.

That and keeping Pogba would be a fantastic summer.

Teja

You posted USD spend. We don’t spend £150 million every season. You also didn’t take into account player sales meaning our net spend the last few years has been about £70 to £80 million.
2014-15: 131M
2015-16: 48.5M
2016-17: 123.9M
2017-18: 137.6M
2018-19: 46.9M
2019-20: 120.2M
2020-21: 61M

Average around 90M GBP net, with 4/7 windows where we do spend 120m+.

Ole’s first summer saw the sale of Lukaku and failure to bring in a CF replacement.
And yet we got in Bruno, Maguire, AwB. That's a question of prioritization of targets. Ole and the club felt defensive strengthening was more important than getting another striker.

Last season we sold Smalling, failed to purchase a replacement.
Really? You're complaining about Smalling leaving when we have about 7 CBs in the club? :lol:

Jose wanted a CB, instead the club bought Fred, Grant and a RB.
Jose wanted a lot of things that included Willian, Perisic, Maguire etc. etc. We backed him by spending money on Pogba, Mkhi, Bailly, Zlatan, Lukaku and Lindelof. He can only blame himself if he wanted yet another CB despite having 7 CBs at the club and signing two expensive CBs in two windows. We'd be in deeper shit if we actually backed him fully that last season.

Giggsy13

2014-15: 131M
2015-16: 48.5M
2016-17: 123.9M
2017-18: 137.6M
2018-19: 46.9M
2019-20: 120.2M
2020-21: 61M

Average around 90M GBP net, with 4/7 windows where we do spend 120m+.

And yet we got in Bruno, Maguire, AwB. That's a question of prioritization of targets. Ole and the club felt defensive strengthening was more important than getting another striker.

Really? You're complaining about Smalling leaving when we have about 7 CBs in the club? :lol:

Jose wanted a lot of things that included Willian, Perisic, Maguire etc. etc. We backed him by spending money on Pogba, Mkhi, Bailly, Zlatan, Lukaku and Lindelof. He can only blame himself if he wanted yet another CB despite having 7 CBs at the club and signing two expensive CBs in two windows. We'd be in deeper shit if we actually backed him fully that last season.
The fact that you cite having 7 CBs (3 of which are injury prone) as a reason not to replace Smalling tells me a few things about you. Firstly you might actually be a WUM or you’re so far up the arses of the glazers (is that you Joel?) that you have nothing decent to contribute. Ole wanted a CB to replace Smalling and the Glazers didn’t deliver. He also wanted Sancho to finally address the gaping black hole on the right side and guess what, the glazers didn’t deliver. There is a general theme about this ownership group that you’re either too thick to appreciate or that you’re conveniently ignoring cause you’re a WUM. Feel free to live in the fantasy that we have incredible owners who care about trophies, and please continue to spew nonsense about how getting both Sancho and Haaland is something your great overlords and leaders will actually accomplish. The disappointment that will follow will all be on you.

Dve

I´d hope for Pogba to sign a new contract, then bring in Varane and Sancho. That would be a brilliant summer for me. Finance it with sales of Lingard and Henderson (or De Gea, but that´s might be difficult), and whatever we can get for the likes of Dalot, Jones, Pereira and Chong. Another loan spell for Garner and he´ll be ready to replace Matic in 2022, while either one of Williams or Laird will grow into a decent back-up on right back. Extend Cavani´s contract with a year and get Haaland when his release clause kicks in summer 2022. In this market, I´m pretty sure he´ll stay at Dortmund until then.

Future solved.

Champagne Football

If Spurs don't get top 4, Harry Kane for 100 million and Bale on loan could actually be realistic. Looks like Cavani will leave so we'll need a striker.

Sancho will be available for 80 million but with Diallo and Shoretire coming through, I don't think we need him.

Rice and Grealish would be great but too expensive and there's no urgent need for them. Van de Beek will be given a chance next season if Pogba leaves.

I'm not completely against the club giving Bailly one final season to prove he can stay fit next to Maguire.

Last edited:

croadyman

We need a bare minimum of CB, DM & RW in the summer before even talking about Pogba's & Eddy's situations which would then add both a creative CM and ST to that list of requirements as well. I am also very worried when I see Ole talking about Bailly showing he can stay fit along with Delaney's article suggesting we think Amad could be better than Mahrez and don't need to sign Sancho either which is madness. So if those two leave as well then make that FIVE signings we need which we are never going to make as we haven't got City/Chelsea's resources to do that.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
After last summer's transfer ban, this next one is going to be a big one.

AgentSmith

If Spurs don't get top 4, Harry Kane and Bale on loan could actually be realistic. Looks like Cavani will leave so we'll need a striker.

Sancho will be available for 80 million but with Diallo and Shoretire coming through, I don't think we need him.

Rice and Grealish would be great but too expensive and there's no urgent need for them. Van de Beek will be given a chance next season if Pogba leaves.

I'm not completely against the club giving Bailly one final season to prove he can stay fit next to Maguire.
Wot?

Polar

I'd go with 3 top quality first team options, right up the spine. CB, CDM and CF would be my preference.

Having said that, knowing what we need and actually filling those holes is a different story.
Support this one

Valencia Shin Crosses

Keeping Pogba, we need at least 3. DM, CB, then either RW or ST.

DM is the most important spot IMO, we can’t keep cobbling together midfield combos without a mainstay DM that is mobile and good on the ball going forward. We sacrifice either control of the game or defensive ability with any of our combinations currently if Pogba is out.

Yesterday against Milan was a prime example, we couldn’t control the game at all in the midfield.

Champagne Football

You think Kane will go another season at Spurs without Champions League football at 28 years of age come the summer?
Bale will probably fancy a season in The CL also somewhere.
Bale looks like he's finally back to the level we know he can play at.

People who think Haaland is coming in the summer don't live in the real world.

AgentSmith

You think Kane will go another season at Spurs without Champions League football at 28 years of age come the summer?
Bale will probably fancy a season in The CL also somewhere.
Bale looks like he's finally back to the level we know he can play at.

People who think Haaland is coming in the summer don't live in the real world.
No I think all those points you make are good ones.

I just don’t know how they then jump to Levy agreeing to loan Kane to us for a season.

Madrid would definitely be happy to loan us Bale if we were willing to pay the wages. I don’t think it would be a good idea though.

peridigm

Many factors depend on who goes and who stays.

Scenario 1 - Pogba Stays
Striker, RW, CB

Scenario 2 - Pobga Leaves
Striker, RW, MF

Scenario 3 - Skint Warchest
Striker, CB

Scenario 4 - Epic Warchest
Striker, RW, DM, AM, CB

GueRed

IMO we still need a top class CB, RB, CM and CF.

Realistically I think we will get two of those...

Champagne Football

No I think all those points you make are good ones.

I just don’t know how they then jump to Levy agreeing to loan Kane to us for a season.

Madrid would definitely be happy to loan us Bale if we were willing to pay the wages. I don’t think it would be a good idea though.
I meant purchase Kane. He'd cost 100 million. Its a lot for a 28 year old in the summer. Levy would be unbearable to deal with. I can't see it happening but Kane could demand it.

AgentSmith

I meant purchase Kane. He'd cost 100 million. Its a lot for a 28 year old in the summer. Levy would be unbearable to deal with. I can't see it happening but Kane could demand it.
Ah, I’m with ya. Makes much more sense.

Yeah he’d be phenomenal but it’s just tricky going all in on a player at that age like you say, especially with his injury history.

It would absolutely help bridge the gap with City though. Hard to put a price on that tbh.

Champagne Football

Ah, I’m with ya. Makes much more sense.

Yeah he’d be phenomenal but it’s just tricky going all in on a player at that age like you say, especially with his injury history.

It would absolutely help bridge the gap with City though. Hard to put a price on that tbh.
The board would probably be against it based on the Alexis Sanchez farce, signing ageing players on big wages/fees with not much milage left on the clock.

Calvert-Lewin or Sancho would fit more in with the philosophy of the board. Bake too because he might be available on another loan.

sp_107

RM
ST

CB
DM

RB

In that order
Spot on !! People are ignoring the importance of having a solid DM

Its too much ask in one window but hope they get at least 3 in this summer....After finishing 4th last season we failed to upgrade our squad which is going to cost us.
Cavani.VDB.Telles are OK signings but not the best ones. Wish we had a CD/RW in last summer so we could have focussed on CF/DM this season but now we need 4 signings.

croadyman

Many factors depend on who goes and who stays.

Scenario 1 - Pogba Stays
Striker, RW, CB

Scenario 2 - Pobga Leaves
Striker, RW, MF

Scenario 3 - Skint Warchest
Striker, CB

Scenario 4 - Epic Warchest
Striker, RW, DM, AM, CB
Still desperately need a CDM for scenario 1 and the fact Ole can't see it is frankly terrifying

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Almost bumped this thread myself after last night :lol:

peridigm

Still desperately need a CDM for scenario 1 and the fact Ole can't see it is frankly terrifying
Yes but MF is the least of our issues if Pogba stays. I agree a DM would sure up defense but so would a CB.

laughtersassassin

3 ideally more if Pogba goes

Attacker CDM who can pass and a CB. And if I had to pick between a CB and CDM I'd chose the CDM every time. McTom and Fred combo is killing us just as much as our crap defence.

Least a CDM who can pass would help out both

Problem is City will at the very minimum match or better our business just like they did last year.

Not sure how we will close the gap at all tbh
If we had ambition we fight tooth and nail to beat them to Halaand cause if they get him it's curtains

Teja

I'm really excited for this summer. I know this place is generally pretty doom and gloom, feck the Glazers, Woody and Judge but just look at how good our signings have been over the past three windows:

2020: VdB, Cavani
2019: Maguire, AwB, Bruno, James, Ighalo
2018: Fred, Dalot

Far cry from "One Suarez a summer" / AdM / Schweinsteiger / Sanchez days.

I personally think majority of these were good transfers (bolded). Even the non bolded ones were pretty sensible when you take into account transfer fees and relative impact they've had. I believe the quality of scouting and decision making has improved quite a bit in the past few years.

Sure we might spend the whole summer chasing Haaland and ultimately not get him but so will several other clubs. What I'm relatively certain of is that we'll get atleast one good RW player (most likely Sancho) and someone at (either yet another stop-gap or full-time) at CF.

As far as I'm concerned, the side below will challenge for the title:

---------------------- DDG --------------------------
-- AwB --- ??? ---- Maguire ----- Shaw --
------------- Pogba ---- McT --------------------
-- Sancho --- Bruno ------ Rashford ------
----------------------- CF ------------------------------

laughtersassassin

I'm really excited for this summer. I know this place is generally pretty doom and gloom, feck the Glazers, Woody and Judge but just look at how good our signings have been over the past three windows:

2020: VdB, Cavani
2019: Maguire, AwB, Bruno, James, Ighalo
2018: Fred, Dalot

Far cry from "One Suarez a summer" / AdM / Schweinsteiger / Sanchez days.

I personally think majority of these were good transfers (bolded). Even the non bolded ones were pretty sensible when you take into account transfer fees and relative impact they've had. I believe the quality of scouting and decision making has improved quite a bit in the past few years.

Sure we might spend the whole summer chasing Haaland and ultimately not get him but so will several other clubs. What I'm relatively certain of is that we'll get atleast one good RW player (most likely Sancho) and someone at (either yet another stop-gap or full-time) at CF.

As far as I'm concerned, the side below will challenge for the title:

---------------------- DDG --------------------------
-- AwB --- ??? ---- Maguire ----- Shaw --
------------- Pogba ---- McT --------------------
-- Sancho --- Bruno ------ Rashford ------
----------------------- CF ------------------------------
Our last summer window was a joke man. Like insanely bad.

That 2018 window was even worse though. So if you look at our last 3 summer Windows only in 2019 where we really active and even then the sale of Lukaku paid for Maguire.

Haven't bought a striker since.....

Teja

Our last summer window was a joke man. Like insanely bad.
Why? We were in for Sancho + Bruno back up + CF backup. Cavani was the right decision despite many here expecting him to flop. VdB was supposed to be Bruno back up but he barely got a look in because Bruno is so fit, so I'm not really complaining (yet). I think walking away from Sancho proved to be the right decision.

All of this in the context of COVID and uncertainty - I don't think there was a single big money move last summer. Chelsea went big but that looks like the wrong decision as well. City were the only ones that did good business.