g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How many positions in the first XI are actually settled ?

EtH

Was discussing this with a friend and it’s actually quite disturbing considering all the money we’ve spent. For me only Sancho and Varane are the quality required though it could be argued that LB is in decent shape between Shaw and Telles. Bruno was the big debate between us. I just think he is problematic unless he can play deeper with more responsibility, much like Pogba.

So that leaves it at a tentative 3 out of 11 positions sorted for me which again is quite shocking. So much investment still needed. What a state we are in. What says you ? Am I being overly pessimistic ?

Tyrion

Sancho ????? ?????
?????? Bruno
??????
Shaw (he's not this bad) Varane ????? ??????
DDG​

I make it 5 out of 11.

Bondi77

At this level if a player is out of sorts for three games they should be benched IMO

Abraxas

I wouldn't even say either of the LBs are nailed on, hang your hat on them quality. I'd just say that they're not dire or immediate priorities but that's not the same thing as being certain of them based on performance.

I honestly don't think there's a position that offers any kind of comfort at the moment. You're left to wonder from one game to the next but the overall pattern of most of the players that have been here for a few years is not too clever.

I would put Bruno, Varane and Sancho into a category of players I am happy with based on achievement, talent or performance.

Skills

Snitch
DDG
Shaw
Maguire/Lindelof
Varane
Dalot/AWB*
?????
Fred/McTominay*
Bruno
Sancho
?????
?????

The ones in question marks are the ones that we probably need to resolve by going into the transfer market this summer.

*A few positions that will probably need investment in summer 2023.

EtH

I wouldn't even say either of the LBs are nailed on, hang your hat on them quality. I'd just say that they're not dire or immediate priorities but that's not the same thing as being certain of them based on performance.

I honestly don't think there's a position that offers any kind of comfort at the moment. You're left to wonder from one game to the next but the overall pattern of most of the players that have been here for a few years is not too clever.

I would put Bruno, Varane and Sancho into a category of players I am happy with based on achievement, talent or performance.
Yes this is where I ended up as well as I don’t see enough consistency from either LB option while Bruno’s raw stats just can’t be ignored. DDG has regained some form but is surely on the decline and even if he continues to avoid mistakes his timidity is still an issue. I will say that Lindelof has been quite good of late and could be sufficient at the very least next to Varane. But still a question mark for me. You really wonder what a few of these players would look like under a really quality tactician though.

Bondi77

Yes this is where I ended up as well as I don’t see enough consistency from either LB option while Bruno’s raw stats just can’t be ignored. DDG has regained some form but is surely on the decline and even if he continues to avoid mistakes his timidity is still an issue. I will say that Lindelof has been quite good of late and could be sufficient at the very least next to Varane. But still a question mark for me. You really wonder what a few of these players would look like under a really quality tactician though.
Lindelof hardly shone under Jose and whatever is said about him he was a quality tactician

Abraxas

As far as how they'd look under a quality tactician you could probably look at how they've looked over their entire career as maybe that supercedes the notion of what a manager can do as if waving a magic wand. I think many of the players that have been here for a few years or more are relatively experienced players now and there is a weight of evidence that says how good they are.

Can we reasonably expect many of them to feature in a side we would be confident of challenging for major honours when they've never been of that ilk? Or even a fighting chance of doing so? Seems to ask a lot of a new manager.

On this basis you really only come back to Varane, and maybe Pogba in the right situation, which is clearly not Manchester United. Those are players that have won things, the rest of them have it all to do.

EtH

Lindelof hardly shone under Jose and whatever is said about him he was a quality tactician
There was absolutely nothing quality about Jose Mourinho at Manchester United.

Bondi77

There was absolutely nothing quality about Jose Mourinho at Manchester United.
Finishing second and Europa league are not to be sneezed at and the guy was a quality tactician.....boring as feck but still a quality defensive tactician.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Next 3 seasons because its pointless to look past that:
  1. Sancho
  2. Bruno
  3. Varane
  4. Maguire
Pogba is probably gone, Maguire is fine short term but he's 28 and not that good, our fullbacks we'll likely look to replace before long, de Gea is fine but also will need replacing before too long, we have no other set midfielders other than Bruno and no set attackers other than Sancho. Rashford has hope if he gets back to 19/20 form but otherwise he's in trouble in squad terms.

EtH

Finishing second and Europa league are not to be sneezed at and the guy was a quality tactician.....boring as feck but still a quality defensive tactician.
Don’t want to derail the thread so I’ll just heartily disagree and leave it at that.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s about the system. If we get a good system and one more unreal player it could all click. Our strikers are lacking. Get someone to gobble up those chances and we are laughing. Get a tough conductor in midfield and we are laughing. I think a long term GK with ace distribution must be pretty close to a priority too.

if you can win a league with some of the players we have it’s surely still pretty clear that chemistry and hard work is the bedrock of any successful team. Add that layer of class but don’t get bogged down in it. There’s no point signing classy players if they won’t run for each other. If the foundation is rotten you could have Messi and Ronadlo up front and it look disjointed

lex talionis

Going into next season we have a lot of reconstructive surgery to perform on the squad.

We’re not acquiring a new starting keeper, nor any new defenders, but we all know about our midfield problems and we have one player at best who is nailed on to be a regular starter next season.

If Pogba stays and Ronaldo and Rashford can somehow be relied on we may only need to bring in two midfielders. I’m as obsessed as everyone else here about qualifying for the CL next season but at this point in the season we also need to focus on evaluating who should remain next season. If a player on the roster now wants to be here next season, they need to demonstrate their worthiness on the pitch.

World Game

DDG is good enough.
Backline is just about good enough. There's enough competition that at least one of Shaw/Telles, one of AWB/Dalot and two of Maguire/Lindelof/Varane should be able to step it up.
Bruno is good as the most advanced midfielder.
Sancho is good for the LW.
Fred/McTom might just be able to meet the minimum requirements for one midfielder spot if the rest of the team carries them.

So we're "settled" for 7.5/11 positions if we're being lenient. But we need a new DM/ST/RW/CM in that order.

kundalini

Was discussing this with a friend and it’s actually quite disturbing considering all the money we’ve spent. For me only Sancho and Varane are the quality required though it could be argued that LB is in decent shape between Shaw and Telles. Bruno was the big debate between us. I just think he is problematic unless he can play deeper with more responsibility, much like Pogba.

So that leaves it at a tentative 3 out of 11 positions sorted for me which again is quite shocking. So much investment still needed. What a state we are in. What says you ? Am I being overly pessimistic ?
I don't understand this. Sancho has been rubbish for much of his first season to date, though better in the last few weeks, while Varane has been average. Of course they were impressive performers for their previous clubs in different countries, as were many of our expensive purchases since Sir Alex retired, few of whom have been clear successes.

De Gea competing against Henderson is fine. As is Dalot and Wan-Bissaka, Shaw and Telles. Lindelof, Bailly, Varane and Maguire; again the issue is selecting players in form, rather than the individual quality, provided the system is sensible. McTominay and Fred are good players though we probably need a genuine DM for some matches. Fernandes is fine. Rashford, Sancho, even Elanga, seem ok to me. I'd bring back Pellistri and Amad as occasional starters, mainly options from the bench.

Striker looks problematic. I quite like Rashford centrally but he was one of several players that looked good while Solskjaer was temporary manager then useless in the last couple of months that season. It isn't obvious to me what will happen to Ronaldo or Martial in the summer.

Overall, I think we need a 20 PL starts DM and a striker for a similar number of starts.

If anything, I think the lack of a sensible system and the ridiculous decision to the select the team by reputation rather than form, has been what has hurt us this season. We keep falling into the trap of believing that a star signing will solve a problem, only for it to create another issue. I want team players that work hard out of possession, are prepared to make runs off the ball, make intelligent decisions in the final third and accept being substituted and benched if not performing at their peak.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

The keeper now he is playing well again, only one this season who has been consistent. Dont see how people ar naming Varane and Sancho when its there first season and if the season stopped now you wouldn be lauding either of them so far. Yes they have the quality, its not yet proven within our side.

I woul dsay a centre back, two central midfielders, right winger and striker are all needed really considering possible outs this summer and what we have, those are priorities but no player has prove themelves consistently within the side, would even add Fernandes for his perfomances this season, not talkign of replacing, simply that his performacnes dont make him a nailed on reliable player n the side either

Remember the geese

I'm happy enough with our centre backs, providing Maguire returns to the level he was at previously. Sancho on the left and Bruno as the 8/10 is more than adequate. Shaw has it in him to play at a level that means left back isn't an issue. However, he has struggled to maintain consistency, therefore it is not a position that is settled. Other than that...

RkkMan

For me Sancho, Varane and Bruno are the only players that warrant a starting place and the LB position is healthy with Shaw, Telles and Alvaro Fernandez once he's ready for first team football he's very talented.
Between now and summer 2023 we need a new GK, CB, RB, CM, DM, ST and RW if Rashford can't get his shit together. For this summer focus should be a GK, CB, DM, and ST
People are lauding De Gea's form but his limited all round skillset as a GK has caused us more problems than people realize and once his shot stopping stops being good again like that 2018-2020 period people will see. A Sweeper GK is needed now(if we sell Henderson)or next year when DDG's contract runs out.
Bailly, Jones and Axel all need to or will likely be sold so the CB position speaks for itself
Due to other pressing needs we can work with Dalot/AWB at RB for another season but in 2023 we need a modern day RB as none of those two will ever be the answer for us.
I don't need to talk about a DM, CM or ST the gaping holes there speak for themselves.

mikeyt

Next 3 seasons because its pointless to look past that:
  1. Sancho
  2. Bruno
  3. Varane
  4. Maguire
Pogba is probably gone, Maguire is fine short term but he's 28 and not that good, our fullbacks we'll likely look to replace before long, de Gea is fine but also will need replacing before too long, we have no other set midfielders other than Bruno and no set attackers other than Sancho. Rashford has hope if he gets back to 19/20 form but otherwise he's in trouble in squad terms.
This, but I'd add Shaw. He's much better than he's shown this year and is worth another season at least. Those saying DDG, sorry but I'm convinced it's his complete lack of communication and command of his area that is why our defence is so shocking.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Currently De Gea and Bruno are the only people who on performances at the club should be automatic starters.

Beyond that I don't think there are any automatic starters, but we have players who may get to that point:

I would like to think of Varane as an automatic starter but in all honesty, his performances haven’t warranted that he has just escaped a lot of criticism because of his name value, but unless his performances pick up I don't that can continue indefinitely.

Elanga is on his way to becoming a starter but not there yet.

I’m hopeful Sancho will come good but we have only seen flashes of that so far.

Shaw has still some credit in the bank for me but had an awful start to the season, has been a bit better since Rangnick came in.

Fred has been good under Rangnick when played as an 8 and Dalot has been pretty good under Rangnick too, but wouldn't count either as automatic starters.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If you ask me what the starting lineup will be at the start of the 23/24 season:

XXX
XXX - Varane - XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX
XXX - Bruno - Sancho
XXX​

Even then Varane is a doubt because he seems to be on a decline. And Bruno must agree to a new contract by then.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
If you ask me what the starting lineup will be at the start of the 23/24 season:

XXX
XXX - Varane - XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX
XXX - Bruno - Sancho
XXX​

Even then Varane is a doubt because he seems to be on a decline. And Bruno must agree to a new contract by then.
I don't think you can even class Sancho, he has had the odd good performance, but more bad or mediocre ones. So saying he is a definite starter for next season seems to be a push.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
CB, maybe LW everywhere else needs an upgrade to challenge for anything.

ROFLUTION

not having 11 regular starters is not the worst. You'd like there to be competition like at City. Would be nice with settled players in defence and central midfield however.

There is no Van Dijk available, there is no Kantė available, so better create a healthy competitive environment and develop big talents

UpWithRivers

0, none, nada. Settled implies that they can perform week in week out, year in year out at a high level and they fit in the managers style of play and plans. Which one of our players fits into that category? Yes we have the likes of Sancho, Varane that have potential but we just dont know yet. Then we have the likes of Bruno who is class but has also dipped and there are question over him. The closest is De Gea but people even wanted him out just a year ago.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I really hope we accept the player Bruno is and adjust the team to make it work rather than doing the same mistake we did with Pogba (trying to push him deeper).

In this particluar moment settled positions are: Varane, Lindelof, Sancho, and just because everybody else is so shite - Elanga. The rest I don't see much of a difference who plays.

youmeletsfly

In this particluar moment settled positions are: Varane, Lindelof, Sancho, and just because everybody else is so shite - Elanga. The rest I don't see much of a difference who plays.
That is how I see it as well. All the others should not ever be considered as starters which is a sad state of affairs for the club. Another 300-400 million spent and we're left with a team that needs another 300-500 million.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That is how I see it as well. All the others should not ever be considered as starters which is a sad state of affairs for the club. Another 300-400 million spent and we're left with a team that needs another 300-500 million.
Personally I don't think so, this summer we need to splash cash for a DM and CF, maybe another winger/forward.
With this squad we are too far behind to say exactly what we need. Some players (Shaw, Dalot/AWB, Fred, van de Beek, Sancho) can be really effective if we have some structured team. The question if if we can have a structured team with the likes of Ronaldo and Bruno.

JB7

It's funny isn't it, there are concerns raised over Varane in this thread. 10 years worth of defenders (of all varying types and levels) going to shit in front of a particular goalkeeper and people still aren't connecting the dots.

Replace him with a proper goalkeeper and the defence is ok. Sign a midfielder to actually protect the defence as well and it's more than ok.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's funny isn't it, there are concerns raised over Varane in this thread. 10 years worth of defenders (of all varying types and levels) going to shit in front of a particular goalkeeper and people still aren't connecting the dots.

Replace him with a proper goalkeeper and the defence is ok. Sign a midfielder to actually protect the defence as well and it's more than ok.
Signing a goalkeeper and midfielder will help fix Varane's dodgy injury record?

JB7

Signing a goalkeeper and midfielder will help fix Varane's dodgy injury record?
Nobody has brought up a concern about his injury record in this thread which is what I was directly responding to, however there have been comments labelling him as average, on a decline and that his performances haven't warranted being an automatic pick.

Chief123

The only guaranteed position we have is Donny Van De Beek on the bench when he's back!

AndySmith1990

Sancho, DDG, and Varane are the only players who should be considered good enough to nail down a starting position in the team if we have any ambition of winning trophies. There's question marks over practically everyone else, whether that be uncertainty over their short term future here or their quality.

Full back positions are quite poor.
Captain and CB Maguire is a bad player.
Our midfield options are terrible.
Rashford is terrible and Greenwood will never return.
Our forwards are 34 and 37, and at least one will be gone in the summer.

It's incredible to think we may need a massive overhaul despite the last manager spending hundreds of millions. Just sad really

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
-------------------------DDG------------------------
?----------Varane-----------?----------------?
-------------------------?------------------------
---------------------------------?---------------
----------------Bruno------------------------
Sancho--------?-----------------------?--------

Wow :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'd say the issues at present are (in order): CM, ST, RW, RB, CM (again), LB, GK, CB

We don't have a bad squad but there's a fair few positions that could be upgraded, whether through new acquisitions or youth players coming in.

Main thing for us should be having a strong core, with good depth options. It's arguable we have the depth, just not the core right now.