g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How many positions in the first XI are actually settled ?

DeGea’sFeet

Ideally
De Gea
Varane

Pogba/Fernandes Sancho

Realistically

De Gea
Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred
Fernandes
Rashford/Elanga. Sancho

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Varane/Lindelof as one cb spot cemented

Fred

Sancho.

That's it really. 3 out of 11 spots of the required quality.

EtH

Ideally
De Gea
Varane

Pogba/Fernandes Sancho

Realistically

De Gea
Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred
Fernandes
Rashford/Elanga. Sancho
It’s not about rationalizing. It’s about how many players are actually the quality required to pencil into a starting XI position.

Lee565

There is always the saying of you build from the back, we'll if we want to start playing attractive progressive style of football, de gea has to go because he does the opposite of what all the other keepers do at the best clubs and that's being good with their feet, commanding their area and playing a sweeper keeper that isn't afraid to come of their line.

goptun

Sancho. Probably Varane. Beyond that, I could honestly say the rest is up for debate.
Bruno has enough credit left in the bank that he's included for me. But yeh, it's a complete shit-show in the main. How on earth has this happened.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
  1. Right footed CB
  2. Energy Pressing CM
  3. An Inverted Forward
  4. Our Creative CAM
  5. I'm okay with an average LB for another season

What we need

1. Proactive GK
  2. Left footed CB
  3. Attacking RB
  4. Anchorman
  5. Deep lying playmaker
  6. Another Inverted winger due to problems in society
  7. A striker or False 9

Happy with 5 need 7 - approx 12 overall.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bruno should not be penciled in at this point. That makes it a solid two from eleven for me.

Varane and Sancho.

Scary.
Agreed.

I'd cash in on Bruno whilst his reputation is still somewhat high and use the money to help build a team. Get in some technically gifted players who can help us play on the front foot and in tight spaces. He's not good enough to start and probably won't accept being a super sub anyway.

copen1945

Varane and Sancho, only. Make Varane the captain, and build football around Sancho as the playmaker from the left. The rest can be and should be replaced.

EtH

Think we’ve hit on a few transfers this summer. Antony and Martinez are mint. And the addition of Malacia to Shaw at LB cements that position for me at least as a tandem. So that’s five positions sorted if Varane can stay fit and Sancho can rediscover his Dortmund form.

Casemiro could make it six in the short term at least but that remains to be seen. Eriksen is fantastic but getting on too much to pencil in regularly this season never mind next. And Bruno is just too erratic and limited to be relied upon in any top side.

So there is still at least half a side to sort out. Never mind squad signings as we are paper thin all over the pitch. A lot of work to do and much patience required. Trust the process.

Teja

It's just interesting how much things change across time.

IMO the only questions are GK, CF and CM Playmaker in my book.

We can incrementally improve on spots like RB, #10 etc but not a huge deal.

EtH

It's just interesting how much things change across time.

IMO the only questions are GK, CF and CM Playmaker in my book.

We can incrementally improve on spots like RB, #10 etc but not a huge deal.
GK, RB, CM & CF still in need of serious upgrading. Two players each required for the CM & CF positions as we are absolutely bare bones there at the moment. We also need another quality CB option considering Varane’s fitness issues.

Teja

GK, RB, CM & CF still in need of serious upgrading. Two players each required for the CM & CF positions as we are absolutely bare bones there at the moment. We also need another quality CB option considering Varane’s fitness issues.
Given Maguire, Lindelof etc. I think we're reasonably well stocked at CB. Lindelof in particular is doing just fine as the 3rd CB IMO.

CM: We have the numbers - Fred needs to go but McTominay, Eriksen, Casemiro are three reasonable options. We really need that FdJ type playmaker. That's the #1 thing missing from the squad right now. If we had FdJ, then Casemiro / FdJ or McTominay / Eriksen are reasonable midfield pairings.

CF: We have Martial, Rashford who can fill in there as backups. Don't think we need a second one if we have a proper starter like Osimhen.

GK: Yep, DDG will end his contract and we'll have to get a new GK.

RB I can go either way. I'm fine if we don't sign anyone next summer and focus on CF, CM and GK.