How much of a chance will Erik give young players here?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's reportedly streamlined the academy and wanted control over the U23s when he signed so he could align all levels of our teams, which theoretically is very sensible. We've seen Mainoo get a few minutes last season before picking up an injury and he looked the one out of all our players prior to sustaining that injury against Real in pre-season. It must be likely that once fit he'll get proper game time here this season.

The question marks revolve around Pellistri who has now been asked to stay after talks with the manager, Mejbri who reportedly will be considered "important" were he to stay this season, and Alvaro Fernandez who looked good in pre-season but seems not to be trusted enough to be third choice left back, seems to actually be fifth choice (Shaw-Malacia-new loan signing-Dalot-Fernandez). Then there's Amad who had a great season at Sunderland before getting injured in pre-season so no loan for him.

At least the technical director has transferred his sons over to United so he's surely thinking the door is not locked here.

My gut feeling is that Pellistri will rue not going out on loan being afforded minimal minutes unless Antony has charges to answer to. Same with Amad. Fernandez must be thinking seriously about his future here right now and I'd be surprised if there aren't teams wanting to take him on a permanent deal. I'm hoping Mejbri actually gets to partner Casemiro for 2-3 matches but it remains to be seen whether he can earn the trust of ETH.

What was he like with youth prior to Ajax (I mean, at Ajax you simply have to play youngsters, it is practically their raison d'être)?

I get that "if you're good enough you're old enough", but what about "if you're not performing well enough, you're out of the team"? That would clear the path for opportunities.

lsd

The Oracle
I think he wants to give young players a chance but is already aware of the pressure for instant success at this club and is reluctant unless they are pretty much can't miss like Garnacho and Mainoo.

He is not going to take a player who might be something special and give him a run of games.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He is in no position to give youngsters much chance here. He probably needs to get us to CL spots to keep his job and there’s very little room for error with this squad and the strength of the league where 8-9 teams want the same thing.

Someone

Something
He does give young players a shot based on what he sees on training. But we aren't a club that can afford overdoing it.

BehemothTerror

Garnacho broke through last season, Mainoo on course to do so this season.

Over the last few years we have had Elanga, Henderson Greenwood and Williams get sizable minutes but not kick on for varying reasons.

Yes, we'd like to see more but standards have to be high if we want to get back to where we once were. If anything we don't seem to be able to sell youngsters just below Man Utd standard for good money which is the bigger issue. Looking at City sell there untried youngsters for millions while we sell ours for single figure millions is not good enough

Last edited:

Lost bear

I think he wants to give young players a chance but is already aware of the pressure for instant success at this club and is reluctant unless they are pretty much can't miss like Garnacho and Mainoo.

He is not going to take a player who might be something special and give him a run of games.
He’s in a pretty impossible position, really. Glazerfecked.

RedOrange

Except Garnacho last season, and it looks like he'll do it with Mainoo this season.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
You cannot give young players a chance without first having a spine in the team. He’s spent the last season building his spine and now he’s slowly introducing some of the young ones in (Garnacho, Mainoo, Mejbri, Gore).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He gives them a chance if they show they can provide an impact worthy of first team level, otherwise he doesn't really do the pity youth chance for a player who will never be more than a token homegrown squad player.

Garnacho and Mainoo he sees true first reamers in. The rest, ehhh not sure he sees much hope in them.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think he is only going to give chance to those has the potential to feature much in his first team plan. Young players like Garnacho or Mainoo you know, exceptional talent. He is not like LVG who would give chance to anyone who looks abit decent.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The expectation vs Reality will be very different when it comes to playing young players, it is very hard to play young player from academy in the first 11, especially at young age. Player should be extremely talented to break into regular starting 11 and very talented to be part of the squad.

I think only Mainoo will play meaningful mins along with Amad.

As a fan would love to team with few good young players graduated from academy, playing good football but it's near impossible to do that. Garnacho is already integrated with first team, would be happy if Mainoo also plays regularly.

Highfather_24

A lot of Ajax fans did warn he often would refuse to give certain promising young player chances i.e he played favourites. IDK about that but, I have a feeling he's hoarding these players because of injuries, they will barely get minutes, stall, and then we will send them on loan in Jan. I dont feel too optimistic about Amad, Fernandez, Pellistri and Mejbri.

Garnacho and Mainoo are the exceptions.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Fans overdo 'if you're good enough you're old enough', and apply it to players who definitely aren't 'good enough' yet. They want them played to develop their potential. Which is all well and good at a smaller club but at Manchester United it has always been necessary to be able to stake your claim right away. We talk about the class of '92 but they were a freakishly talented group of prodigies who all genuinely justified their replacement of players who at the time were already some of the best in the country.

We don't want to go back to the days of Van Gaal using every kid in the reserves on the off chance.

Lentwood

They will get as many chances as they deserve. The lack of understanding on the difference between standing out at u23 level and playing in the Premier League for Manchester United is staggering really.

Plus, managers love to use the "giving Youth a chance" trick to win over fans by throwing youngsters on for a few minutes when they're not really ready (LvG, Jose and OGS all did it, to varying degrees) but realistically we didn't see any greater advancement of players from the Academy into the 1st team under those managers than we have under ETH - who has already integrated Garnacho with Mainoo looking likely to follow.

LvG really lucked out with Rashford, who was literally chosen because there was nobody else. Jose was responsible for McTominay and OGS can claim he integrated Greenwood. Besides those players, which have become first team regulars? More to the point, who would we have even wanted to become first team regulars?

If fans want a second wave of Blackett's, McNair's, Williams's and Chong's thrown into the 1st team then fine...but then those fans will be the first to complain the minute we get a poor result.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
According to Ajax fans he wasn't great with youth but stumbled across some gems which he was forced to use due to injuries etc. I think there were a couple of young players that looked good when given a chance, but were then pushed aside again once first team players returned, which seemed to anger their fans a bit. So far I don't think he's been particularly great in this respect - I was very surprised to not see Iqbal and a couple of others given a chance to build on very solid pre seasons last year. My expectation is that Mainoo won't get a sniff here if we sign Amrabat - ETH is too risk averse and will trust senior players ahead of him.

AFC NimbleThumb

Majority of the blame for this rests with the fanbase. There were people saying we were a ‘Harry Kane away’ from challenging etc. Whilst the holes in the squad are still plentiful.

EtH the player recruiter hasn’t particularly helped EtH the coach with signings like Mount & Antony but Caf faves Klopp & Arteta weren’t expected to challenge nowhere near this early.

Chairman Steve

He’s giving Garnacho and Mainoo chances. He shouldn’t introduce youth players for the sake of it either. If one academy player is integrated into the first team every season like we’ve done under him so far (Garnacho last season, Mainoo seemingly this season), we’re doing pretty well.

GazTheLegend

Yeah he's literally introduced Garnacho to the team and I'm certain he will give Mainoo minutes. Not sure what the deal is with all these anti-Ten Hag threads at the minute, I have rolled my eyes into the back of my head at three of them already today. Of all the clubs to point a "don't give youth a chance" Man Utd would be last on my list to be quite honest, and Ten Hag seems to be no exception.

I can get somewhat the apathetic reception at Antony's performances (though for me I think there's a great player in there somewhere) and at Martial/Rashford/Weghorst last season but are we really ready to throw ... who, exactly into the mix, it's not like Pellestri has lit up the last few clubs he was on loan at.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think "ETH not giving young players really a case", it's seems like we don't have many special talents PLUS Ten Hag just doesn't like some players (Fred?).

Borninthe80ts

I reckon that he will definitely fill out the squad with a more youthful balance and we will see more players given a chance. It’s up to them whether they take it or not.
Deeper into the season we struggled last year with injuries so maybe one or two will emerge. I’m looking at Gore and Hannibal after Christmas to come through similar to Mainoo did.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Garnacho started the first 2 games of the season. Amad is part of the squad and Mainoo is set for an important role this season in midfield. Speaks for itself

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
OK, Fernandez wasn't fancied in the slightest with both left backs out for months so we turned to Reguilon. What happens with the right wing now that one is being hidden in Spain for a bit, one taking time off to deal with charges in Brazil, and the third having a public bust-up with the manager. Will Pellistri get a chance for a couple of games? Added benefit is we finally have a focal point striker for the first time since Zlatan (and the few games Cavani felt fit for) and Pellistri is about as direct as you can get.

Mount also out for a few weeks more so I doubt the Bruno on the right experiment will recommence any time soon. Some people suggesting Rashford on the right but he's worse there than he is as a #9 and he's only just starting to look good after getting into his favoured position.

It's either a formational change or ETH plays a youngster...

In Rainbows

They will get as many chances as they deserve. The lack of understanding on the difference between standing out at u23 level and playing in the Premier League for Manchester United is staggering really.

Plus, managers love to use the "giving Youth a chance" trick to win over fans by throwing youngsters on for a few minutes when they're not really ready (LvG, Jose and OGS all did it, to varying degrees) but realistically we didn't see any greater advancement of players from the Academy into the 1st team under those managers than we have under ETH
I wouldn't include LVG with those two. LVG genuinely gave the others real chances in matches that mattered. In fact, some of us who are youth watchers were perplexed he gave chances to the likes of Blackett, when it was obvious they didn't show enough talent for the youth team. I never got the feeling that he threw in a player or two just to gain some of that "giving youth a chance" reputation like a Mourinho.

At times I didn't like that he didn't give Januzaj more minutes, but other times I liked that he tried him out in several positions when it was clear he wasn't working out in his original role, in the manner that LVG wanted from that role.

maximus419

He may end up having no choice what with enforced absences, injuries and suspension. Rotation this season is imperative, if only to avoid further risk of injury. Playing the strongest 11 in all comps is not an option, you must give players rest they need, with the squad lacking depth, we'll have to use a few youngsters, even if they aren't ready for the first team. Other teams do it, why can't we?

KD6-3.7

I think the situation with Antony and Sancho will give us a big indication of this aspect of Ten Hag’s management.

I think there’s more of a chance ETH will play either Rashford or Fernandes there rather than giving Pellistri a fair shot.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Tbh, so far he didn't show that he is a manager who gives young players a shot. He rather chose to loan players in (Wout, Sabi, Reguilon) or play first teamers out of position than playing young players.
Nothing wrong in that. I am always for approach in which you promote only best of the best from academy (Garnacho) instead giving minutes to those who will end up in WBA or Salernitana.

I do believe that Reguilon and Altay transfers were not needed while having Fernandez and Kovar.

Last edited:

pascell

OK, Fernandez wasn't fancied in the slightest with both left backs out for months so we turned to Reguilon. What happens with the right wing now that one is being hidden in Spain for a bit, one taking time off to deal with charges in Brazil, and the third having a public bust-up with the manager. Will Pellistri get a chance for a couple of games? Added benefit is we finally have a focal point striker for the first time since Zlatan (and the few games Cavani felt fit for) and Pellistri is about as direct as you can get.

Mount also out for a few weeks more so I doubt the Bruno on the right experiment will recommence any time soon. Some people suggesting Rashford on the right but he's worse there than he is as a #9 and he's only just starting to look good after getting into his favoured position.

It's either a formational change or ETH plays a youngster...
Sancho will apologise and all will be forgotten. He'll be staying against Brighton, or we stick Bruno there and have Eriksen as no10 with McTominay and Casemiro holding.

stoinz

Tbh, so far he didn't show that he is a manager who gives young players a shot. He rather chose to loan players in (Wout, Sabi, Reguilon) or play first teamers out of position than playing young players.
I notice that too. He is the opposite of LVG. LVG would not bat an eyelid giving young players a chance if it is their natural position, than playing first teamers out of position. Rashford would never have made a start if ETH was the manager. Not saying we need to go LVG extreme but it would be nice to see young players given a chance once in a while rather than pre-season.

Trequarista10

How long is Amad out for?

He's superior to Pellestri and more suited to the RW position where there's currently a good chance for him to have a sustained run in the team.

Judas

Open to offers
Now or never. If he doesn't give them more of a chance with whats going on, I can't see him ever. So far he seemingly doesn't rate our youth players, because we've really seen very little of them outside of a couple of clear exceptions.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Now or never. If he doesn't give them more of a chance with whats going on, I can't see him ever. So far he seemingly doesn't rate our youth players, because we've really seen very little of them outside of a couple of clear exceptions.
He knows that only thing which keeps United manager at job is to have results. Playing with best 11 in every cup game, lack of rotation, lack of playing kids and amount (and type) of transfers suggest that.

Nothing wrong in that of course. For Man Utd result should be always a priority. But, as i said earlier, short term loans (instead playing some kid) is a little bit too much for me.

Last edited:

Rossa

Managers often promote young players in games where we have complete control, being 3-0 up or something like that. It make sense as the pressure is off, but they can still be part of the pace and intensity of PL football. Considering that, how many games in the last few years have we actually had complete control where the manager could be safe that substituting Bruno, Casemiro, Rashford etc won't impair the game too much? There aren't many games where I feel completely at ease with the result, and there aren't many teams I would bet my wallet on United dominating and winning with certainty.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I wouldn't trust a manager cares about Youth unless they've been here for longer than 3-4 seasons to the very least.

Manchester United is a very high profile, high demanding job, when your life expectancy is 3 years max and that's already very good and reserved for fans favorite (Ole) and a manager who's actually got dozens of titles up his name (Mourinho). I don't think even any of them actually bother that much about 5 years or 10 years planning or revamping the academy, they're worried about next match. They could be out in 10 games if things go South. They have their plate full trying to make United play working football, they don't have time for thinking about blooding youth who may or may not made it. In best case scenario even if the said youth can make it, it'll take them games and games of making costly errors and given time to develop. Time which is paid by the manager's own life expectancy.

SAF don't have this issue, he knew he's here for a long time and he won't likely get the sack. He got the time, the patience, the drive, the team of coaches he trust, the trust of the boards and the fans to blood youth. God forbid he made costly errors (Bebe, Djemba, Pogba, young Fletcher who was given time and time again, and many more) he can survive it.

Now... priorities needs to be addressed. We shouldn't burden our manager with anything but first team stability and getting their brand of football flowing. feck the rest. Only when we started to resemble the Manchester United of old, then we'll think about which Youngster with most talent we can take a punt on.

It seems that we ask too much of our manager

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Of course there's pressure in the job results wise, but a few things: the young players here aren't really shot in the dark youths but players who are of an age where they absolutely have to play football in order not to stall their development (Mejbri, Fernandez, Amad, Pellistri, Garnacho, and to a lesser extent Mainoo but if he wasn't getting chances here he would definitely needed a loan). I'm pretty confident Mainoo will get games, I do worry for Pellistri and Amad, the jury is out on Mejbri what with him not being loaned out due to him being "an important player" for the team.

As for the risks involved, again, not some 17 year old who has not had a sniff of first team football, over the last few seasons our team has illustrated such a high volume of individual mistakes on behalf of seasoned professionals it would be unfair to contrast a young player capable of making mistakes with some notion of a first teamer who doesn't. We don't have those consistent players. Haven't had them for years. For a while it was Dave, but then it faded.

The feeling you got when ETH came into the job was not one of short-termism, especially not when he asked for control of the u23s to help clear the pathway into the first team for youngsters.

He should absolutely have high standards and demands for young players as well, not disputing that one bit, however, he surely has to give chances to players he convinces to stay rather than developing elsewhere on loan, not least when he's regularly getting poor performances from squad players (last season) and the first XI is run into the ground (also last season). And as we have seen sometimes a player who is more or less physically up to speed for the senior team but maybe not stellar in his performances at youth level takes to it like a duck to water, they just come alive when they get that platform, Rashford being the most recent example.

The Reguilon move was disappointing, I felt, but I do remember reports when he was appointed that he was worried by the overall poor standard of the left side of defense.

FTR I'm fully behind the manager, he's the one I wanted and he's better than I expected given the obstacles he's faced here, but I do hope to see him being more brave in given young players chances and, at the same time, dropping underperforming senior players (or resting them before they get injured).

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Will the caf give Pellestri a shot?

People will call him bobbins of he doesn't impress in 2 games

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Garnacho and Mainoo in 2 seasons would be good enough, anything more (Pellestri, Mejbri etc is a bonus)

AjaxNL

He was notorious for not giving youth players a chance at Ajax, so I wouldn't expect too much here

Red_toad