How much of a chance will Erik give young players here?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Surely Mejbri gets to keep proving his case. Eriksen was delightful in possession in the opening 17 minutes but if you want to dominate teams and press them in the final third he simply cannot play. McTominay is obviously not a starter.

Play him. And give Pellistri a chance. There are too many players at United who don't give a shit or have been infected by the cultural malaise. Erik needs to reward hunger and bravery.

Sylar

Honestly think pellestri will only get a run if he scores a match winner in his limited time, similar to garnacho v Fulham

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Honestly think pellestri will only get a run if he scores a match winner in his limited time, similar to garnacho v Fulham
Maybe Pellestri is shit

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe Pellestri is shit
That's what Mitten was trying to convey, that they are worried about his "shooting". But we have seen his cameos, he is selected to start for Uruguay. You simply don't know how a young player will take to it until you give him a chance.

If he's shit Erik would hardly have blocked a loan move (the lad wants to keep developing, he's not happy to feck up his career) and likely sweetening that decision by getting him on an improved deal.

Sylar

Maybe Pellestri is shit
Maybe?

Then that begs the question, why is he even given five minutes? What is the point of bringing him on? What's the point of having him on the bench?

It just then makes his comments about pellestri unnecessary

Cassidy

Maybe?

Then that begs the question, why is he even given five minutes? What is the point of bringing him on? What's the point of having him on the bench?

It just then makes his comments about pellestri unnecessary
What are the other options?

Sylar

What are the other options?
Considering he started Bruno, he could have kept him there and brought on Maguire or Evans as CB instead.

If Eth really thinks pellestri is shit, he has other options given he he has no issues playing senior players out of position

Cassidy

Considering he started Bruno, he could have kept him there and brought on Maguire or Evans as CB instead.

If Eth really thinks pellestri is shit, he has other options given he he has no issues playing senior players out of position
So he should have brought on a defender to try and score.. ok

He quite obviously does not rate him highly else he would have played more.

Also when he started last season in Europa he was crap

Sylar

So he should have brought on a defender to try and score.. ok
No, he should have brought on a CB to play cb instead of putting Bruno at CB. That would have left Bruno out right instead of pellestri.

That's the logic based on your argument that "maybe he is shit"

Why bring on somebody "shit" to move your most creative player to CB?
You see where this is going?

Roboc7

Problem is he is going to start worrying about the sack which will mean more reliance on people like Mctominay and even more reluctance to give young players a chance. Of course relying on the same dross will lead to him getting the sack but it’s what managers inevitably do.

Cassidy

No, he should have brought on a CB to play cb instead of putting Bruno at CB. That would have left Bruno out right instead of pellestri.

That's the logic based on your argument that "maybe he is shit"

Why bring on somebody "shit" to move your most creative player to CB?
You see where this is going?
No because quite clearly he is sacrificing defending and Bruno can create from deep

I guess the alternative is he believes Pellestri is a very good player but just refuses to give him more than 5 mins because well,

Cassidy

Problem is he is going to start worrying about the sack which will mean more reliance on people like Mctominay and even more reluctance to give young players a chance. Of course relying on the same dross will lead to him getting the sack but it’s what managers inevitably do.
Aside from Pellestri. Which young players do you think he needs to be giving a chance? That he isn’t?

Devil81

Now the rot has set he's unlikely to try and take any risks.

Pellestri should have started today. It's incredible he only got 10 minutes.

Sylar

No because quite clearly he is sacrificing defending and Bruno can create from deep

I guess the alternative is he believes Pellestri is a very good player but just refuses to give him more than 5 mins because well,
So from that logic the choice is
Have a competent CB at CB for five minutes and keep Bruno closer to their goal
Or
Have Bruno deeper at cb and play a shit player out wide for five minutes?

That is Basically what it's summed up as right?

Cassidy

So from that logic the choice is
Have a competent CB at CB for five minutes and keep Bruno closer to their goal
Or
Have Bruno deeper at cb and play a shit player out wide for five minutes?

That is Basically what it's summed up as right?
Correct

gaffs

Feels to me that ETH does not trust young players, certainly not the ones he has not signed.

Why change to the 442 diamond against Brighton?

It seems like he would rather change formation and put players into a system that they have not played before than put Garnacho or Pellistri into the right forward role.

Hughie77

He might as well play all of them, because it seems the current squad are dropping like flies..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Long way to go to see what level they end up at, but theoretically - I’d be chuffed if we managed to get a top midfield 3 out of Mainoo, Gore and Hannibal. Our class of 23, so to speak.

The rest of our midfielders are all 30+ and Mount is Mount so who knows? All are highly promising but most importantly have the right attributes as players. All very comfortable handling the ball, and can look after themselves. I think if we get this right, there’s a slim chance all 3 could make the grade.

foolsgold

Long way to go to see what level they end up at, but theoretically - I’d be chuffed if we managed to get a top midfield 3 out of Mainoo, Gore and Hannibal. Our class of 23, so to speak.

The rest of our midfielders are all 30+ and Mount is Mount so who knows? All are highly promising but most importantly have the right attributes as players. All very comfortable handling the ball, and can look after themselves. I think if we get this right, there’s a slim chance all 3 could make the grade.
If we get one out of three as an established first team player here we'll have done great. The step up, even now is enormous.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

How can Bruno create from cb?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Long-term this is still my concern. Thought getting Reguilon instead of going with Alvaro Fernandez was disappointing. Now seeing Mejbri on his way out is very disappointing. Mainoo and Garnacho are obviously too good to ignore, but I think he lacks trust in young players.

The Mitcher

Long-term this is still my concern. Thought getting Reguilon instead of going with Alvaro Fernandez was disappointing. Now seeing Mejbri on his way out is very disappointing. Mainoo and Garnacho are obviously too good to ignore, but I think he lacks trust in young players.
There was a quote saying he won't play youth unless they have world class potential.

renatosanches85

There was a quote saying he won't play youth unless they have world class potential.
I don’t see the problem with this to be honest. Fernandez to me doesn’t seem to be world class potential, nor the likes of Garner, Laird etc who people on here were whinging about is selling. He is starting Mainoo, he has world class potential. Why would he put in players who ultimately won’t be good enough to take the team to the level they aspire to reach?

Red00012

Garnacho has excelled under ETH
Mainoo is going to be a Utd midfielder for years
Kambwala made his 1st team debut in a PL game.
Forson made his debut last Monday
Dan Gore made his PL debut a few weeks back .
Holding on to a 3-2 lead v Villa one of the most in Form teams in the league he brings on Hannibal , Gore and Kambwala at the end.

but ok

The Mitcher

I don’t see the problem with this to be honest. Fernandez to me doesn’t seem to be world class potential, nor the likes of Garner, Laird etc who people on here were whinging about is selling. He is starting Mainoo, he has world class potential. Why would he put in players who ultimately won’t be good enough to take the team to the level they aspire to reach?
By that logic players like Wes Brown, O'Shea and Fletcher would have been sold because they weren't of world class potential. Though Fletcher was beginning to become a great player until his illness it has to be said.

mu4c_20le

He is only starting Mainoo because he has no choice. If Casemiro and Mount were fit, he'd only be seeing out games as a sub for 5 minutes

mintyred

He is only starting Mainoo because he has no choice. If Casemiro and Mount were fit, he'd only be seeing out games as a sub for 5 minutes
It was clear he rated him in pre-season before he got injured, but there is no doubt that's been a factor. ETH said he wants instant success and players who can do it now, so he won't rely on youth too much.

GMoore23

By that logic players like Wes Brown, O'Shea and Fletcher would have been sold because they weren't of world class potential. Though Fletcher was beginning to become a great player until his illness it has to be said.
Wes Brown had world class potential.

He was an amazing talent but severe injury prevented him from realising his full potential.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hard disagree. He clearly rates him.

Stadjer

It was clear he rated him in pre-season before he got injured, but there is no doubt that's been a factor. ETH said he wants instant success and players who can do it now, so he won't rely on youth too much.
Ofcourse he wants instant success. Look at this forum and media when he isnt winning. He needs to have instant success just to keep his job and cant really afford to give chances to young players that will make mistakes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why are you saying this? He said he wanted to bring him in the fold since last spring but Mainoo got injured. He played him in the bigger pre-season games too vs Arsenal and Real. The minute Mainoo got fully fit he was in the match day squad.

Cassidy

He quite obviously planned to play Mainoo this season. You have to have an agenda to not see that

mu4c_20le

Why are you saying this? He said he wanted to bring him in the fold since last spring but Mainoo got injured. He played him in the bigger pre-season games too vs Arsenal and Real. The minute Mainoo got fully fit he was in the match day squad.
Mainoo got his chance when Bruno was suspended after the Bournemouth horror show, a game where he never got off the bench. I believe ETH was going to slowly integrate him, but not start him immediately, especially when his seniors are fit and available.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mainoo got his chance when Bruno was suspended after the Bournemouth horror show, a game where he never got off the bench. I believe ETH was going to slowly integrate him, but not start him immediately, especially when his seniors are fit and available.
Given ETH said he wanted to integrate him since last spring I don't think there's a lot of basis for that.

mintyred

Ofcourse he wants instant success. Look at this forum and media when he isnt winning. He needs to have instant success just to keep his job and cant really afford to give chances to young players that will make mistakes.
Ironically if you play young players people tend to be more lenient. If you buy the finished article and you're mid-table then people will come for your head.

renatosanches85

I suppose there are two things to look at here. When you are a team winning trophies regularly and constantly challenging for the biggest trophies you can afford to try out a few youngsters in certain games who may not make it at the club, such as Eagles, Chadwick etc. It’s harder to do so when the team is struggling over a long period of time. Secondly, Brown and Fletcher had world class potential, O’Shea did at one point also. Ultimately they didn’t make it to that level but they had the ability to play for a world class football team. Fernandez, Garner, Laird, Meija do not.

Lux Thunder

Personally, don’t get that Hannibal praise at all, he never did stand out in my eyes. Neither he did anything significant on his loan out to approve he deserves a chance in our first team, in comparison to Amad and his time at Sunderland.

Work rate, aggression, ok I get it - but you have to offer a lot more in terms of actual ability to be considered as a genuine prospect for a first team at a top club as Manchester United should be.

A lot more disappointing for me was letting Angel Gomes go, I think that a coach like ETH would appreciate his technical ability.