How should fans go about showing their unhappiness with the proposed ESL?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The questions are basically:
  • What can we as fans do to show the wanna-be dictator clubs that we are not onboard with the proposed European Super League?
  • What will have the biggest impact?
  • What should we do?
My immediate thoughts are to obviously not subscribe to whoever is going to show the games. Then I guess people can stop buying merch and the like from clubs and their sponsors. An easy one is to unfollow everything to do with the clubs on social media as well. But in the end it probably needs to be a unified effort from fans of the 12 clubs. What do you think?

Mods can merge if this should be in another thread.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i would recommend writing “esl” on the wall in shit whenever and wherever you vacate yourself. it won’t make a difference, i’ve been doing similar with “glazer”since the mid 2000’s to try and force the glazers out. it doesn’t work. but it is fun.

OleBoiii

First off: voice your anger in social media and in public.

Secondly: don't attend ESL games, even if you're a season ticket holder.

Thirdly: don't subscribe to the service that will broadcast ESL games.

Maagge

Can't believe I forgot about number two! fecking covid. :lol:

DavelinaJolie

The whole thing is about money.

1. Do not buy merch.
2. Do not buy game tickets.
3. Do not pay for or watch TV coverage.

For an added bonus.

4. Boycott sponsors of the team and send them emails explaining why.

Realistically 99% of fans won't do anything. Bitch for a few weeks then sign up for their Amazon football subscription and watch the super league.

The clubs know this.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I said it in another thread. Start a petition to change the colours of the Caf (even temporarily) to Green and Gold

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Unsubscribe from any channel it's on, boycott the games and stage protests at the grounds.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm wondering if (in the UK's case at least) some form of government intervention is possible?

Indeed as I type that I've just seen the below:

Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, is to make a statement to the Commons on Monday afternoon, probably at about 5pm. It is understood that officials in the Department for Culture, Media and Sport are examining what powers the government might have to stop the plan, and what action it could take. Options believed to be under consideration include taking action under competition laws, and wider reforms, for example guaranteeing fans a greater say in the running of clubs and the wider sport
Realistically if the UK clubs can't take part then the Super League idea dies.

So the best form of protest may be to pressure your representatives (if you're in the UK).

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Places like the Caf have a big role to play. Twitter tags are poweful too. Last night #GlazersOut was rocking. Keep it up. This is different in one crucial crucial respect. It is the politicisation of football. Therefore politicians decisions will have a big bearing. Contact your local MP or Member of Euro parliament.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's kind of difficult, because it doesn't work unless the majority of fans of the big clubs do it and at the end of the day most fans aren't activists. Considering how global top football is these days I can't see it happening.

SER19

Boycott is the ONLY thing that might work. Watching, going to domestic games, paying for the subscription. I know i will

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
Social Media is a nice thing but not enough.
There are no games on Monday nights anymore in the Bundesliga because people really demonstrated and planned and carried out actions - in and around the stadiums.

If the number of memberships were reduced by 50% within the next two weeks, that could be a start.

Matt007a

You'd have to boycott the games and merchandise but in truth I don't think enough fans would do it. The clubs know that. Merchandise in particular, 90% of our shirt sales probably come from abroad and those people don't care what competition we play in or what state the EPL is in.

spiriticon

Illegal streaming.

You get to enjoy the games and they don't get a single penny.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Imagine thinking a social media campaign and a have arsed boycott wills stop a multi billion pound deal.

Changing the colours of the caff or tweeting your disapproval won't do anything. Need to make your anger physically felt.

Lynty

Powerless unfortunately - we wouldn't be able to co-ordinate a cohesive strategy and the owners have known that for years.

Illegal streaming and non attendence of games is the best bet - but you'll soon have a generation of fans who would only know ESL and are happy with the Americanised format and inevitable multitude of viewing options, better coverage etc.

Maagge

It's kind of difficult, because it doesn't work unless the majority of fans of the big clubs do it and at the end of the day most fans aren't activists. Considering how global top football is these days I can't see it happening.
That's true of course. However, the majority of fans aren't going to games very often for geographical and economic reasons. Say, a lot of fans will still watch the ESL games, but the stadiums will be half empty for them most of the time? Surely the players aren't going to be happy with that?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Cancel your membership and season ticket. Cancel your tv subs. They're the easiest and most realistic.

Fans coming together and working their way protesting around the stadiums together would be massive. Obviously very difficult to arrange though.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You have to assume that this thing is going to be streamed only on some sort of platform like Peacock and I hope that’s the case. I hope it’s not free the first year to attract the young viewers and hooks them.
The simple solution if it’s not free is don’t sign up or drop subscriptions on platforms if you have one already that they will be on. Feck them over from the start.

Mr Smith

These are good, but we want to prevent this before it even gets put in place.

I've never really fancied petitions as doing any good, but this is one circumstance where it could help. Of you got say 100,000 signatures from fans pledging they would not attend or subscribe to ESL games, that would surely give these clowns pause. Fans should also stop buying any club related merch effective immediately. And unsubscribe from any broadcasting service mooted to support the ESL.

Maagge

You have to assume that this thing is going to be streamed only on some sort of platform like Peacock and I hope that’s the case. I hope it’s not free the first year to attract the young viewers and hooks them.
The simple solution if it’s not free is don’t sign up or drop subscriptions on platforms if you have one already that they will be on. Feck them over from the start.
Ugh free streaming for the first year would be awful.
Shouldn't fans dissociate completely from clubs joining this though? And skip their domestic games as well etc.?

OohAahMartial

Total boycott

Unfollow all football social media
Unsubscribe to all football TV channels
Cancel/not renew any season tickets, and membership
Cease buying any merch OR any products of any sponsors
Protest outside stadium, with picket lines on match days
Call out the players and managers to go on strike or also boycott their social media and sponsors

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Are there any protests planned at OT / Etihad this week?

Total boycott

Unfollow all football social media
Unsubscribe to all football TV channels
Cancel/not renew any season tickets, and membership
Cease buying any merch OR any products of any sponsors
Protest outside stadium, with picket lines on match days
Call out the players and managers to go on strike or also boycott their social media and sponsors
The clubs know that 99% won't do this. They'll ride the media shitstorm and most people will give in and just watch the new league.

It's really up to the FA, Uefa and Fifa to stand their ground - only they can stop or limit the super league.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Drop turds on the pitch from drones during matches? Got to get creative and childish.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Depends how organised your support is. If you can get the majority of season ticket holders to sign up to a collective purpose, then you should be able to get 50%+ boycotts of the stadia. That's quite a powerful message when the international audience tunes in to watch the new spectacle and is greeted with mostly empty grounds.

Part of the visual attraction of the English Premier League for TV viewers are the full grounds and the occasionally noisy supports. Take that out and the whole thing looks sterile and much less financially attractive.

crossy1686

career ending
Don't watch it, Don't pay for it, don't consume any media around it, don't spend money on any of the clubs in it.

Reality is in a couple of years we'll all be in here buzzing about the kick off and playing Madrid.

peridigm

Sell your stock. Problem is, majority of United shares are probably owned by people who know nothing about football or that the ESL is even happening.

RonaldoVII

It will be interesting to see how the club force purchase of ESL tickets. If it's like the current UCL/FA Cup ticket scheme, we'll be forced into buying the tickets. This will mean an increase in cost for the ST given that there's at least 6 more ESL home games than UCL. For me that would be an extra £228 in tickets and roughly £270 in total when factoring in travel expenses etc.

If they didn't force purchase of ESL home games with a season ticket then you can imagine large numbers would avoid buying them in protest, which the club wouldn't want.

Bwuk

Clubs don't care about what the fans want, and the vast majority of the fanbase will subscribe to whatever platform the games are shown on.