How should the breakaway clubs be dealt with now?

MickyOT

A 20-25 point deduction would make for a thrilling end to the season with City having to make up points to take the title, United having to make up points for UCL football, Arsenal in a relegation scrap, and the rest in mid table obscurity.

Relegation is another obvious punishment, but there are winners and losers in that scenario with the Championship rights holders suddenly having a must-watch product and the EPL becoming less compelling. This would cost remaining EPL clubs at the expense of Championship clubs. No European Football would also be interesting but that again has far reaching impacts on other clubs via TV rights.

Transfer sanctions and fines are the other ones as have been discussed, but they don't really seem fitting here. Any fines on United would just saddle us with more debt and those culpable would be off scott free.

At the end of the day, I think what we all want is for the owners themselves not just to be punished but for this fiasco to lead to meaningful change.

As such, I'd rather think less about short term punishments and more about this being an inflection point and for us to take stock and ask (now that the power of our united voice is fully understood): 'what measures can we put in place to put the power back in our hands rather than club owners looking to make a buck from institutions we love'?

What about bringing in a 50% +1 fan ownership/voting rule or bringing in stricter rules to guarantee money goes back into the club or communities not to owners?

If we did either of the above it makes clubs like United a less profitable asset to owners without punishing the club, which is so, so much more than who owns them at a single point in time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
They should all relegated and ban from European competition for 5 years.

Wilt

They're the biggest clubs and kicking them out will hurt everyone else. Transfer bans will hurt them and shouldn't hurt the other clubs.

Bayern and PSG could have a free run at Haaland, Sancho, Kane, Son etc.
Yes I could imagine a transfer ban incoming

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Footballs part of our culture. We need to have more discernment in regards to who we let influence us. I don't think there should be punishment but I do think, there should be a clear understanding at what will happen IF this level of bile happens again. As a nation, we have to control our country from crazies and that's not with violence. It's about coming together and standing up for what is right. Not what 'sounds good'. Not what 'tempts you'. But what is right for everyone in this and other nations. We need a show of strength. And those who backed the idea, should be ashamed of themselves. As a nation we really should create our own money. To ensure our needs are met and our history/memories etc are not sold out to these types of people who have forgotten the simple things. People who don't value truth nor gestures/acts of kindness.

If it was attempted again - there would be a very harsh punishment.

So I don't think the players NOR the fans should be punished as a result but I do think the owners should be pressured to sell out and leave. And we need to get supporters owning shares. And we need to not fall asleep again. Because there are many people out there who are just like these owners. Look at covid. The news talks about what? Covid!!! But it's not talking about the loss of business or the great financial reset...nor about the fact the market may crash at some point because businesses are under the thumb of those who create the money and those who are globalists at heart and NOT nationalists. If government controls the money, we don't have to worry...it's time people educate themselves, in faith and keep this spirit of unity because together we can create a FAR better world if we do NOT accept evil.

Giggs86

Man City and Chelsea should be cut out of their Arab/Russian oil money.

We should be cut out of the Glazers.

Levy should be forced to re-hire Mourinho and give him a 10 year contract.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Footballs part of our culture. We need to have more discernment in regards to who we let influence us. I don't think there should be punishment but I do think, there should be a clear understanding at what will happen IF this level of bile happens again. As a nation, we have to control our country from crazies and that's not with violence. It's about coming together and standing up for what is right. Not what 'sounds good'. Not what 'tempts you'. But what is right for everyone in this and other nations. We need a show of strength. And those who backed the idea, should be ashamed of themselves. As a nation we really should create our own money. To ensure our needs are met and our history/memories etc are not sold out to these types of people who have forgotten the simple things. People who don't value truth nor gestures/acts of kindness.

If it was attempted again - there would be a very harsh punishment.

So I don't think the players NOR the fans should be punished as a result but I do think the owners should be pressured to sell out and leave. And we need to get supporters owning shares. And we need to not fall asleep again. Because there are many people out there who are just like these owners. Look at covid. The news talks about what? Covid!!! But it's not talking about the loss of business or the great financial reset...nor about the fact the market may crash at some point because businesses are under the thumb of those who create the money and those who are globalists at heart and NOT nationalists. If government controls the money, we don't have to worry...it's time people educate themselves, in faith and keep this spirit of unity because together we can create a FAR better world if we do NOT accept evil.
I will always support you Striker. I don't think I've ever understood a single thing you've ever said but you have so much conviction about whatever it is you're talking about.

Irwin99

One thought would be that some of the breakaway clubs could turn this around and say no to any incoming transfers in the summer to spite the fans that ruined their plans. Greedy b*stards will be seething about now.

I doubt the clubs will actually get any punishment though.

Wilbursaurus

Kick us all out of next year's champions league. Give it to West ham, Leicester and the club's who deserve it. Wouldn't even be against relegation either.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nothing should happen. The 12 owners should be penalised as they were the creators of this mess, without consulting the team, managers, employees, leagues , and fans. Why should people suffer for something that was cooked up behind everyone's backs and without consultation. If they had of consulted everyone before signing up then this would have been stopped before it even started.

The sneaky feckers should all be brought to court and sued for trying to ruin the game for personal financial gain. It's no secret that some of the Italian and Spanish clubs involved are struggling financially which is no surprise for why they tried to rush this through behind everyone's backs.
Correct

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If it started from Perez then he needs to be punished. Only after him do we talk about the rest of them.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why should the players and fans be punished for this? We didnt do anything
Goes both ways. Why should england be punished for what the scouse did? Why did teams gets punished, banned and docked points for racist abuse when it's the fans that did it, or why should juve supporters and players be made to endure serie B for the deeds of their owner?

We are an entity. You cant punish one without punishing the other.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'm sure the cleaning lady working at Lehman Brothers in 2008 didn't deserve to lose her job, and she had nothing to do with those who took the managing decisions.

The only way for the Glazers to pay for the crimes is massive financial hit. And that's not a fine.
Exactly the clubs to face some serious punishment. Ideally, there would be a way to force the owners to sell 51% as suggested but that's a big ask.

Diarm's suggestion looks good though I am cynical about real change happening.

The 6 clubs should forfeit all voting and decision making rights for 10 years. The weighted distribution of broadcasting and sponsorship revenues should be scrapped for a completely equal share amongst all Prem sides as well.

I'm up for anything that puts the squeeze on cnuts like the Glazers and makes PL sides less attractive to American Investment leeches.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Punishment for Man Utd.... Woodward is given a lifetime contract as head of football operations and all transfers. :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Since the teams are "invited" to play in European cup competitions, theoretically UEFA could just rescind their invite and give them to the top 4 clubs outside of the 6 in the prem.
As it stands:

CL:
Leicester
West Ham
Everton
Leeds

EL:
Villa
That’s actually a decent group of clubs. Some big names there.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I will always support you Striker. I don't think I've ever understood a single thing you've ever said but you have so much conviction about whatever it is you're talking about.
I know what i'm talking about which is enough for me. Of course, I always think of you a spoony wannabe. If you need small words and pictures, feel free to ask :)

RedBanker

I love you Ole
This is not kindergarten dear. This is business. And all the clubs and the respective FA and UEFA are business partners. When there is a discord, partners don't dole out "punishments". Terms are renegotiated to prevent future discords. I am sure this is what has been done. These clubs are money makers for all concerned, not just themselves. They had every right to look after their business interests and they have made their point. This is non story now. Move on and enjoy the football.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Two year ban from European competitions sounds fair.

EDIT - Two and this one. So immediately removed from current competitions and not eligible for next year or the one after.

slored1

Here's what I would do:
- 200 million ban for each club
- 1 year ban from the European competitions
- A forced restructure of the club ownership
- 10 points deduction at the start of next season
- A transfer ban for 2 windows

Nothing. The 6 clubs never planned to breakaway from the Premier League or the FA. It could be argued that part of the Premier League is that top 4 go into the CL so by abandoning the CL they were going to break a condition of playing in the Premier League.

But primarily the offended party is UEFA. I think instead of punishing, UEFA need to look at their own dirt and take this as a time to learn and become more transparent etc.

Abizzz

Life long ban from all Uefa events for those involved (Perez, Woody, Agnelli, Galzers etc.).

No point in punishing players or fans.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Nothing at all will happen to any of them, bar a few internal resignations and such

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Why should the fans, players and staff who have no involvement in this be punished?
If a team faces a transfer ban, they still get punished despite the fans, players and staff having no involvement.

NK86

Amazing how many people want the clubs to be punished to set an example. Basically you lot want the PL/FA/UEFA/FIFA to become total dictators and crush clubs who would dare to go against them. Yeah, what could possibly be wrong with that train of thought!
Also, this may not have been the best thought out idea, but something needs to be done to reduce UEFA's powers and not bring it to the point where the big clubs are at their mercy. The corruption there will put some third world countries to shame and at least some attempt was made (however misguided) to tell them to feck off. All for it!

NK86

Exactly this.

Let's not make PSG and UEFA the winners from this.

Those are two of the most corrupt and vile organizations out there.
People are so riled up about the ESL that they are now favoring PL/UEFA/FIFA as if these very people have never lambasted these corrupt organizations before. Wonder if it was not a closed league as suggested and they had plans to enabled relegation/promotion, would there be this much hue and cry?
The idea to breakaway from these scum organizations was not wrong, the implementation was. Hoping that this would not give more power to UEFA to do as they please.

gajender

Amazing how many people want the clubs to be punished to set an example. Basically you lot want the PL/FA/UEFA/FIFA to become total dictators and crush clubs who would dare to go against them. Yeah, what could possibly be wrong with that train of thought!
Also, this may not have been the best thought out idea, but something needs to be done to reduce UEFA's powers and not bring it to the point where the big clubs are at their mercy. The corruption there will put some third world countries to shame and at least some attempt was made (however misguided) to tell them to feck off. All for it!
Everybody seem to be so in favour of Punishments meted out but ignoring the fact all this was act of self preservation from Uefa , Pl while pushing the narrative of being fan centric .

Uefa needs these Clubs do you genuinely think uproar would have been so vehement by them if let's says some clubs who traditionally finish in middle of their leagues mostly gang up and propose a new closed competition if they could muster backers alongside domestic league no body would bat an eyelid , I don't think so it's all about the money there are no angels in this fight not even close.

vidic blood & sand

Chelsea deserve absolutely no credit whatsoever.

Chelsea were just the first to get cold feet after it was apparent that the whole thing was untenable.
I think Chelsea and city desperately didn't want to be thrown out of the champions league.
That combined with the widespread condemnation would have killed their fans off completely.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
not fair to punish players and fans. Ban the respective owners. Chairmen too.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Why should the fans, players and staff who have no involvement in this be punished?
Financial fair play infringements, corruption. How are these punished? If punishment is deemed appropriate and legal then of course clubs would have to take it. I doubt have any practical jurisdiction to punish the owners/Presidents/CEOs. It's not like they're players in which the most effective punishment is banning them from the pitch.

I'm pretty sure UEFA isn't interested in "punishing" these clubs, unless it's in the way of fines. If they would though, and it's deemed legal, your argument makes no sense.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Said clubs will get a slap on the wrist and that's it. They are too important to be punished in some severe way.

They should get punished, though, but it won't happen for above reason.

red4ever 79

They still bring a shitload of revenue to the table. Nothing will happen and it will all be forgotten by UEFA and the PL by the weekend.
No chance. Utd fans and Liverpool fans will not forgive them. I can see the Glazers selling up. In terms of what I think should happen, at the very least a big points deduction, at the worst relegation

hungrywing

We and the other clubs should still be punished in some form. This was a failed coup.
Two year ban from European competitions sounds fair.

EDIT - Two and this one. So immediately removed from current competitions and not eligible for next year or the one after.
I agree. Particularly as long as it can also be used to filter out any member of the playing staff who don't agree with this. Doesn't matter if 'it's not their fault'. There are a couple of players who do not belong here and to those who have been deeply troubled or frustrated by not being able to put pressure on them because of their 'favorite' position from above, this is an opportunity to clean house.

not fair to punish players and fans. Ban the respective owners. Chairmen too.
Not fair to the whole of the staff but it can be used to ferret out or apply pressure the players who aligned with it/were even impartial to it and hence not aligned with the club's values and who may have been causing conflict in the dressing room. It's more subtle than a blanket pardon.

NK86

Everybody seem to be so in favour of Punishments meted out but ignoring the fact all this was act of self preservation from Uefa , Pl while pushing the narrative of being fan centric .

Uefa needs these Clubs do you genuinely think uproar would have been so vehement by them if let's says some clubs who traditionally finish in middle of their leagues mostly gang up and propose a new closed competition if they could muster backers alongside domestic league no body would bat an eyelid , I don't think so it's all about the money there are no angels in this fight not even close.
Basically this. It has been about the money for years. This was nothing different. I doubt UEFA can even punish them. What legal precedence would they even have to get that judgement?