How to get out of this mess

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
As Keane just stated, you start by addressing the defence.

That's the priority regardless of who the manager is.
Seriously. Address the defence and midfield. We have 1 player out of those 7 positions who is set (Shaw), and then another 1 or 2 at a stretch (Lindelof and Dalot) who can improve and become regular starters long term. They need the right player in the defence though. If we signed a Van Dijk type CB, Koulibaly potentially, it would lift everyone's game and make us so much stronger at the back and building up from the back. We'd still be left with big problems in midfield, where we really need a complete overhaul. 3 new starting caliber players there alone if Pogba does leave.

Until we address the defence and midfield, we arent getting anywhere. Sancho is a perfect signing for us long term, and we have to try for him, but we wont be a quality side and we wont have at consistency until we lay a quality, solid foundation for the attacking players to build off of.

Judas

Open to offers
I hope our recent terrible defensive displays kill the talk that we’re supposedly not bringing in any defenders, because we desperately need to.

fallengt

Sack Giggs, sell Fergie, Sir Edward Gareth Woodward to become next Fred the Red.

Canagel

Stop all the sentimentality and romantsizing over SAF, class of 92 and the glory days. stuff like X 'knows the club' shouldn't be criteria for judging player anymore . All our former player ever talks about is the past. Zlatan was right. This club needs a fresh approach and new identity completely. Its why I'm against the rumoured appointing of Phelan as DOF too. first chip off the deadwood english players that has no business starting here:young, smalling, jones, lingard.. even rashford is nothing but squad player. United used to have the best British talent not these. we cannot move forward until we removed the idea of recreating SAF from our mind.

Red_toad

Play our best players in their best positions. The rest will just click. Then end of season 3/4 new players in and a full preseason, then see how it all goes next season. There really is no magic cure, we have plays who are better than their current form.

Foxbatt

Some here talked of Mike Phelan as the second coming of Jesus. (The real deal not the ex City player).
Even during the time of SAF he did not inspire any confidence.
SAF won because he also had much better players.
Who in the current team would get into the last championship winning team?
DeGea was in it so Pogba only?
We need much better players for a start. Then look at other things.
If the club is going to back Ole then get someone like Quiroz as his assistant and also poach some coaching staff from Barcelona.
Carlos knows the club at the same time he is big enough not to be hampered by the legacy of SAF.

Ahsan_6386

Some here talked of Mike Phelan as the second coming of Jesus. (The real deal not the ex City player).
Even during the time of SAF he did not inspire any confidence.
SAF won because he also had much better players.
Who in the current team would get into the last championship winning team?
DeGea was in it so Pogba only?
We need much better players for a start. Then look at other things.
If the club is going to back Ole then get someone like Quiroz as his assistant and also poach some coaching staff from Barcelona.
Carlos knows the club at the same time he is big enough not to be hampered by the legacy of SAF.
I agree Carlos Querioz is someone we should be looking to bring back . He always had an eye for talent with a good scouting network and he always made us play well . He also helped a lot in Ronaldo' s development so there might be scope he can work with the likes of Martial,Rashford and Greenwood . I do feel Querioz can be appointed as a hands on technical director who can work on the recruitment and style of play .

Scholsey2004

Nothing can change with Ed in charge and he's not likely to either fire himself or hire somebody who'll challenge him. Catch 22.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Bring David Gill back. That's a good place to start.
you want the man who tried to replace Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Vidic and co with Young, Cleverley, Jones, Smalling and co? Nah. He can stick his value strategy up in his arse.

devilish

A- Get a CEO who takes care of the football side. VDS could do the job
B- Bring in a solid DOF with experience in the job. Campos should do the trick
C- Bring in a head of recruitment. Mitchell would be perfect for the role
D- Make a clear out. Players who are not good enough should be sold (Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Lingard, Young, Sanchez, Mata etc). Meanwhile those who want to leave or refuse to sign a new contract should follow them
E- Bring in a horde of players. Defence should be built from scratch, just keep Dalot, Shaw and Lindelof as squad players and sell the rest. We need a DM and possibly a creative midfielder in CM. Two right wingers and a solid striker upfront.
F- Promote the youths to squad players. Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Mitchell, Garner etc.

Dansk

First burn his squad to the ground, few might survive and then add untainted players, by adding 2-4 players each summer, we are just feeding rot.
I mean, you can't just sign twenty players at once. Even if by some absurd miracle we could actually find twenty worthwhile players for sale, it would be chaos to build a full team all at once.

Tapori

you want the man who tried to replace Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Vidic and co with Young, Cleverley, Jones, Smalling and co? Nah. He can stick his value strategy up in his arse.
Gill had many flaws but never signed players on
"Marketability"
or tried to play FM/FIFA ULTIMATE

Tapori

he was the one who started this rot.
I think you'll find there was the very small matter of the Glazers. Seeing as both Gill and Woodward have been in charge under the Glazers and Woodward has been able to spend far far more, Gill's performance in the transfer market looks far superior.
Again, not defending Gill's mistakes, but he never interfered really with the assessment of a player. The tight sob

devilish

I mean, you can't just sign twenty players at once. Even if by some absurd miracle we could actually find twenty worthwhile players for sale, it would be chaos to build a full team all at once.
No one is expected us to buy 20 players but 7-8 players can be signed. The likes of Meunier, Joachim Andersen, Ndidi, Bruno Fernandes, Jadon, Bergwijn, Tonali and Tierney would improve us significantly.

devilish

I think you'll find there was the very small matter of the Glazers. Seeing as both Gill and Woodward have been in charge under the Glazers and Woodward has been able to spend far far more, Gill's performance in the transfer market looks far superior.
Again, not defending Gill's mistakes, but he never interfered really with the assessment of a player. The tight sob
That's because Gill had SAF something Woodward missed greatly. The value strategy was devastating for United. I used to follow MUTV regularly at the time and even the temerity of asking for players like Ander Herrera was enough for the stooges there to laugh at you as if you asked for Messi. That's the sort of shit Gill brought us into.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Why do people keep saying 'Get Poch'. I would guess he made it plain to the club before Ole was appointed that he isn't interested. We can't just click our fingers and get whoever we want, whether manager or players.

Heardy

Simple, start players who are willing to put in 101%. Forget about talent or reputation or age, EFFORT comes first.
Trouble with that is you have a team of lingards who do a lot of running but there’s minimal output! You can run yourself into the ground but if we haven’t scored from open play in 8 hours or whatever it is, we need more than “effort.”

kthanksbye

How no one at the club saw managers like Pep, Klopp and Poch as potential ManUtd managers baffles me no end, how we're allowing Ed to call the shots with respect to transfers is also an indication of the lack of leadership at the club.
We need to get these things sorted at the earliest, to even start our rebuilding.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How no one at the club saw managers like Pep, Klopp and Poch as potential ManUtd managers baffles me no end, how we're allowing Ed to call the shots with respect to transfers is also an indication of the lack of leadership at the club.
We need to get these things sorted at the earliest, to even start our rebuilding.
How long have you been supporting Utd? Let me guess, about the time we started winning things.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said but the former were the top of the list but said no or in Pep's case had already taken the BM job. Poch was at Southampton and was relatively unknown.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
1- Hope for a miracle and qualify for the CL next year

2- Appoint a strong Technical Director that will face frontally Woodward

3- Sell or let leave around 10 senior players

4- Rebuilt an healthier dressing room

5- Get the Saudis at the ownership

Inigo Montoya

Why do people keep saying 'Get Poch'. I would guess he made it plain to the club before Ole was appointed that he isn't interested. We can't just click our fingers and get whoever we want, whether manager or players.
Some fans will never get this! They'll be banging on about it for the next year!

Zlatattack

Ruthless strategy : 10 in, 10 out.
I agree. People think it's transfer muppetry gone mad, but we have too many players stinking the place out, happy with mediocrity.

Let's start with the 10 worst players at the club. Replace them with new signings and youth players if needs be. Let some fresh blood challenge the status quo.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Yes but we're not exactly looking like a well oiled machine at the moment are we ?

These players have been together for several seasons and play like they've just met each other outside the stadium. If chaos is the barrier we have to get through to reach the other side then bring chaos on.

devilish

I agree. People think it's transfer muppetry gone mad, but we have too many players stinking the place out, happy with mediocrity.

Let's start with the 10 worst players at the club. Replace them with new signings and youth players if needs be. Let some fresh blood challenge the status quo.
Between 1988 and 198, a young Sir Alex brought to the club 11 players. That was a time when the squad size was around 16 players. You don't dilly dally with bad weed. Else you give the impression that its OK to just be complacent at the club as no one will ever fire you. You just remove the weed from the roots and burn it.

Id say this squad should do the trick

GK: DDG (if he signs a new contract)/Courtios, Romero, Henderson
DR: Meunier, Dalot
DC: Joachim Andersen, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe
DL: Tierney, Shaw

DM: Ndidi, Matic, Garner
MC: Bruno Fernandes, Periera
MC: Pogba, Mctominay

AMR: Jadon, Lozano,
AML: Martial, Bergwijn

Stk: Felix, Rashford, Greenwood

Suv666

Revamp the scouting network. As someone pointed out earlier players like Laporte, Bernardo werent exactly marquee signings still they turned out to be massive for the club. While our transfers have been beyond shambolic, the worst among the top six without a doubt. We need to recruit better simple as.
Oh and also get Ed Woodward the feck out obviously.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
A change of attitude is one thing. It's nice to say players have been here 6/7/8 years etc....some would say it's loyalty and maybe it is often but it also makes you lazy. Have we stopped looking to improve our squad? Are we a few players short? We need to ship players out and we need to scout properly. It's not going to be easy but one big name can't fix the number of weak minded players we have. Some of them should get their arse of social media and work harder at their job. Mentally we need to toughen up. Physically we need to toughen up etc. It will take time but because of the way the market is, we need to be scouting properly. There have been players in England over the last 2/3 years who may have improved our squad but we were snobbish or not interested. We have to respect our own league first before thinking of Europe. We need to get our house in order. What we need to do and what we will do are two different things however.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
1. Director of football (and the correct one at that, not just a pleasing name)
2. Spend a ton of money on a lot of new players and release those that simply aren’t good enough.
3. Commit to Ole for at least 2 years ... give his vision some time (through good and bad)
4. Take a serious look at our scouting / recruitment process and learn from mistakes (Sanchez’s wages especially)

UnitedFan93

I imagine the fans of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are asking similar questions also.

Last edited by a moderator:

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
We might need 20+ years. Like the scousers.

I still remember back in the day when we laughed off scousers posting how we would freefall after Ferguson retires. He wouldn't leave us prone to that they said. He would leave a strong core and sensible heads at the wheel, all would be well. We wouldn't do a Liverpool.

Unfortunately, the scousers were right even though they were just being hopeful.
We seem to be going that way with regards to their "next year is our year" as ours seem to be "next summers transfer window".

kthanksbye

How long have you been supporting Utd? Let me guess, about the time we started winning things.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said but the former were the top of the list but said no or in Pep's case had already taken the BM job. Poch was at Southampton and was relatively unknown.
How does it matter how long I've been supporting the club? You can disagree with me without being condescending.

Fair enough if Klopp rejected us, but I still think we could've done more to lure him in. As for Poch, my point was the lack of foresight we show.

Foxbatt

Apparently our chief scout did push to get DeLigt and Frenkie De Jong to Woodward.
We need to replace most of the team apart from DeGea, Lindelof and Shaw. For me Martial and Rashford may make it but surely we need a world class striker.
At least 6 to 7 players need to come in. World class players and not middle of the road players.

Inigo Montoya

How does it matter how long I've been supporting the club? You can disagree with me without being condescending.

Fair enough if Klopp rejected us, but I still think we could've done more to lure him in. As for Poch, my point was the lack of foresight we show.
Or the hindsight you and many other posters show.

Look, it wasn't meant to be condescending, sorry for offence caused. We can all agree that the lack of a strategy has caused this, whether it's a lack of DOF or just good people involved in recruiting but we can't hark back to 6 years ago when these guys weren't available or weren't considered.

It's too late, look forward or continue to fail

sparx99

We need to coordinate and hound the Glazers out. I feel with better management from boardroom to coaching we have spent enough to be competitive but nothing will ever detract from the fact we’ve lost £1bn due to them.

Step 1 - bring back Green and Gold campaign.

Step 2 - from red cafe to red issue we lead a campaign to stop fans buying any merchandise including shaming anybody who does. Avoid any brands which have a commercial deal with he club. Can’t el MUTV.

Step 3 - a campaign of media, letter writing, chanting at the ground (nobody will stop going to the game). Aim abuse at the Glazers if they attend a game.

Step 4 - collectively buy any shares on NYSE.

Etc etc. We have to coordinate and get rid of this virus. Our club should be 51% fan owned with elections etc.

Foxbatt

Ole needs to get over his euphoria of being in charge of Manchester United. He should stop calling players Ash and Rashy and Poggy etc.
He should then make rational decisions.