How to get out of this mess

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
This could well be all changed by Sunday. We beat Chel$ki, and them and the Gooners with their Thursday night football to come, we are back looking at top 4.

Eddy_JukeZ

We need new owners(I'm not personally advocating for anyone). Just think we honestly need new owners.

People who say we need a DOF are right, but that's not happening with the Glazers in charge.

eire-red

We're in such a horrible position where half the team isn't good enough and needs to go, whereas the few players that can actually bring something to the team when they feel like it seem to have already left the club. I would honestly be happy seeing Darmian, Rojo, Matic, Young, Valencia, Mata, Bailly, Lingard and Sanchez gone, probably a few others there I've missed too.

If we add to the fact that Pogba, Herrera and De Gea seem to want out, Lukaku too, while Martial's will to play football seems to have evaporated, who will we actually have left? I mean, can we really buy that many new players and expect them to gel? If results don't improve next season, the pressure is only going to get worse. If we don't get CL football, can we attract talent? Not being able to attract big names isn't necessarily a bad thing, hasn't worked out for us so far, but if we're going to replace our best players with players who might not be as good, are we going to be any better off?

Seems like we are going to be stuck in a vicious cycle where we lose our best (admittedly inconsistent) players, who aren't even up to scratch, and find it difficult to replace them with similar quality, while also trying to simultaneously trying to get rid of the players who aren't good enough (which is pretty much half the squad). It just feels like a situation that could get worse before it gets better, and the longer it takes, the more likely there is going to be a downward spiral of negativity.

It's going to take time, patience, and some really big, smart decisions from the people running this club, which none of us trust to make these decisions.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
As Keane just stated, you start by addressing the defence.

That's the priority regardless of who the manager is.

Phil

10 years ago when a player joined United it’d be like a bright graduate stepping out onto the trading floor at Wall Street. They’d be amazed at how everything runs, excited to learn and get going, eager to compete with their peers and prove themselves. Now, it’s like walking into the head office of Flybe. feck me, the place is clearly rotten and we need to focus on getting in football minded directors who know what’s needed to get our club’s attitude towards FOOTBALL right. They’ve fecked up big time in so many ways.
:lol: There's tears behind my laugh though.

yamo123x

There is no quick fix.

We need a true renaissance...

Out with the old...in with the new.

Patrick08

Learn to play new brand of football and just don't be a counter attacking team.

leet

Easily.

Sell DDG, Pogba and Lukaku (hopefully some fool like Perez pays shitload) + pray for some miracle that gets us rid of Sanchez. Use that money to get completely new squad (possibly young and with potential to be good) and to get coach that knows what he wants out of his players (this might be even OGS, but right now his future here doesn't look good to be honest).

And lastly, give it a couple of years to get the system to work.

Of course, I don't think that Ed is the person to do this, so first of all we need DOF or someone else in place of Woodward.

NJM78

This mess will continue until season is over but in summer we need to have the best transfer window in years just to keep us challenging for the top 4. I can also see us going 10 years without a title if nothing changes with ownership and Ed’s involvement.

I do not believe Ole to be this messiah type so I do believe it will be based on the level of talent we sign as not even the best manager can polish a turd. We just need better players full stop!

Lentwood

Get rid of Deadwood Woodward. Bring in a DoF. We would be back in the top three within two seasons...as for the rest...well that ship may have sailed without serious and sustained investment, a world-class manager and a total overhaul

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Maybe this is a reactionary post I don't know but the thing is that suddenly it's dawning upon the fans the crazy mess we are in . We are on a record losing spree with a manager who seems under pressure and completely resigned on the bench and on whom we are trusting a record transfer amount . All our top players are out of form and the rest are enjoying their time here while earning a lot of money with zero output . We are jittery when it comes to signing a director of football who can lay a foundation with a proper tactical plan since the CEO looking for a yes man.

If we are looking at signing young upcoming talents then what would be sales pitch . Any top talent will avoid signing for us as we are a total mess . How do we change this ? Because honestly as a fan I am looking at another confusing summer with regards to team play and transfers .
Start rebuilding from ground up. Bring in the youngsters, accept that we won’t win much for 4 years. There is no quick wins.

Play down expectations and stop bringing in stars that are there for the money. As SAF used to say, if you don’t want to play for Manchester United, you shouldn’t play for Manchester United. News on “convincing” players to stay makes me sick to my stomach.

Bojan11

The squad costs of ours and City were similar tonight.

We just need to sign better players. It’s as simple as that. City have spent a lot of money but most their fees have been modest compared to us. De Bruyne, Sterling, Silva and Sane cost pretty much the same as Fred.

#CR7

1. Establish a clear style of play and only recruit players who fit into this style and who represent the values of the club. DOF is important in implementing this.

2. Sign Premier League proven players who will guarantee consistency and improve our league performances

3. Create leaders in the team who demand the maximum from every player in the squad to ensure standards don't fall.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The squad costs of ours and City were similar tonight.

We just need to sign better players. It’s as simple as that.
City have spent a lot of money but most their fees have been modest compared to us. De Bruyne, Sterling, Silva and Sane cost pretty much the same as Fred.
It really isn’t. Do you think City play the way they do because the players just decided to do so themselves? Put City’s best 3 players in our side and we wouldn’t win the league. In fact, swap the entire squad with theirs and Liverpool would already be champions. ‘Just sign better players’ is an amateurish solution I think. Why can’t we improve one player who comes through the door? ‘Because they are rubbish?’. You would think we shop at Aldi. If Pochettino can get a tune out of the likes of Moussa Sissoko, or Pep can have Delph performing as a top left-back, it should tell you all you need to know about the theory of just having the best XI players.

Ajax don’t have a better squad of players than us. Without a plan, any mythical signing you may want us to make, from Paul Dummett up to Lionel Messi - subtract half the output of whatever you see on Youtube or whatever. Whereas if they were to join City, chances are you can confidently add 20% to the current performance.

Denis79

It's going to take a long time to get back. People have to accept that we aren't going to challange for the title for a few years, maybe even more.

Mr. Ant

Answer is obvious. Sack Ole, bring Poch and give him total freedom to build his team.
I hope you're joking. Poch would be in the same situation, but Ole has one advantage.

Fans would rather sell the whole squad than to get rid of him.

Poch would start great, maybe at best he'd achieve 2nd place just like Jose did, but he would still be sacked somewhere down the line.

normalone

It would also help if the Old Trafford crowd developed a bit of a spine. There needs to be a revolt and the hierarchy can be under no doubt as to the thoughts of the fans. People always praise our fans for sticking with the team but I think the opposite. I'm embarrassed that we're the only top club that accepts and applauds such unacceptable standards. A billion spent and we are worse off than we were under Moyes. Has there ever been such a dramatic fall from grace in all professional team sports for a club that generates such an obscene revenue?

Patrick08

Let Mauricio Pochettino rebuild United this summer and address the structural defects behind the scenes by appointing the right DoF, chief executive, and so on.
:lol:
It's not a rocket science to identify good players, scout them and sign them. Every freaking fan knows our problem and majority can solve it on paper. Pochhtino or No pochh this board has to act worthy of a board of a top club and deliver the best talents required to solve the issue of this team which starts with defense with the ability to play progressive modern football coupled with bringing in players in midfield with high workrate creativity and controlling ability who can shield a defence way better than the current lot can do while adding some pace and creativity in wide areas and players who have modern footballing intelligence.

Landing pochh himself would have taken 40-50 m of our always insufficient budget and put a half cooked team for next season.

No manager can solve the current crisis and expect to play top attacking football with this bunch, not even Pochh.

It's the board who has to get their shambolic act together.

Bojan11

It really isn’t. Do you think City play the way they do because the players just decided to do so themselves? Put City’s best 3 players in our side and we wouldn’t win the league. In fact, swap the entire squad with theirs and Liverpool would already be champions. ‘Just sign better players’ is an amateurish solution I think. Why can’t we improve one player who comes through the door? ‘Because they are rubbish?’. You would think we shop at Aldi. If Pochettino can get a tune out of the likes of Moussa Sissoko, or Pep can have Delph performing as a top left-back, it should tell you all you need to know about the theory of just having the best XI players.

Ajax don’t have a better squad of players than us. Without a plan, any mythical signing you may want us to make, from Paul Dummett up to Lionel Messi - subtract half the output of whatever you see on Youtube or whatever. Whereas if they were to join City, chances are you can confidently add 20% to the current performance.
We had 3 managers try to get the best out of most of these players, so yes it is simple as that.

Can you tell me any signing we made that looks successful since Fergie left?

Delph plays well because he plays with better players who don’t get him exposed much. Put him left back for us and he’d be exposed every game.

We can blame all the managers we want. But some of these players have been doing that non stop when they not good enough. Do you think Smalling and Jones are going to turn into Maldini and Nesta suddenly? They had one of the best defensive managers in the last 20 years and they defended like buffoons. The same can be said about Bailly and Lindelof.

Fred is another player he tries but his passing is crap most of the time and there’s nothing about him. Matic is too slow to do anything.

Martial is hit and miss. There’s a reason why he isn’t a regular for France. Sanchez is past it. Lukaku was never good enough and no manager is improving that first touch.

So yes recruitment needs to be better. Look at Barcelona and Madrid they can at times give buffoons the job yet finish second and reach the latter stages of champions league because they got a team full of superstars.

Recruitment needs to be better. With better players the worst that can happen is we finish no less than fourth because very good players can carry bad managers.

thejtrain

It's going to take a long time to get back. People have to accept that we aren't going to challange for the title for a few years, maybe even more.
If we weren't as rich, it could take a couple of decades. With us, though, we have already gone 7 years without even a crack a title, and I don't see that changing in at least another 3 years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need top class management and the right transfers.

Hopefully is the right person to give us that. If not we are fecked are looking at a good 5-7 years before the next title.

R'hllor

First burn his squad to the ground, few might survive and then add untainted players, by adding 2-4 players each summer, we are just feeding rot.

haram

Im so sad at where my club is at the moment. I just want the season to end.

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
As one that is from Norway wich follow Norwegian football i can say that Solskjaer dont have the park the buss as his tactic with his teams.

His teams has had a very funny style to watch kinda football. Very atack minded with moderne high press and atacking backs. Second time he came back to Molde he pritty much started out on the scratch buying young players and shaping them to class players.

He is good with young players and old. As i see it there is no way for him to make the current squad he have play the way he wants. Took him 3 transfer Windows or so to finish the cleaning and it was just because of to much stress from the media on some of the players that stopped them from winning last season. Sence his Main striker scoored so insane many goals with the age of 18 or so it felt like the players was stressed they lost 4 matches and won the rest after.

This season the team is already leading and i belive they will win. So dont give UP on Ole let him get players that will fit his style and build a new team and i belive United will win trophys again.

nameischarles

One step would be with Woodward as he can’t do everything, he needs to relinquish some of his duties like the too good to be true rumour of hiring a DoF. I don’t know why it’s taking so long for the club to hire one, even if we don’t have a typical DoF type role but someone that can oversee the football aspect side would really help us.

Maybe it’s his ego, maybe he loves being “the man” but if we fail this summer he seriously needs to be questioned by the Glazers cause surely big time sponsorships won’t be renewing nor heavily investing if we keep failing on the pitch.

Ashley R1+O

Disconnect commercial aspect from football and connect a football forward facing carriage onto the commercial aspect of the club. That will need to be built from scratch from the ground up and it won't be a quick process. I don't really see us doing any of this any time soon, mind. Ed Woodward obviously feels like he's the face of the club at the moment with all the extensive amount of press he's getting (I mean shots of him in a game? Who the feck even knew what Gill looked like when he was here. Stop showing the cnut in the stands).

The wage structure and squad hierarchy is out of control. The whole thing will need to be reined in and rebuilt, I am not sure if that is conducive with the commercial operations of the club. They seem to be making a dick tonne of money coupling the players off field activities and cross promoting it. More power to them, but obviously match day will suffer.

Think it's too late to feel the effects of a DoF, we've already started planning for the Summer.

Meaning we've fecked it and another summer of Ed in charge, should have done it when Ole was appointed (as caretaker).
Amazing how many people think Ed and not the board make the decisions. SAF for example is still quite clearly heavily involved in making football decisions.

cyril C

Simple, start players who are willing to put in 101%. Forget about talent or reputation or age, EFFORT comes first.