How will Antoine Griezmann be remembered?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The move to Barcelona has been a disaster for him thus far. Stripped of his status, standing and seemingly his football identity as his confidence has nosedived and he doesn't look like the same player riding the crest of a wave having been one of the stars of the 2018 World Cup.

Seems to me, despite his highs between 2015 through to 2018, and what looks like being the peak period of his career, he was never universally regarded as one of the true greats active. Is that a fair assumption to make?

What was it about the player that had so few warm to him? And how come so many have written him off because of this stint in a dysfunctional team?

I feel as though he'll be a footnote for the 2010's when he hangs them up in stark contrast to numerous players of the same time period who will be considered greats of their time or certainly greater than Griezmann despite not being peered with the output he had relative to the position he plays on the pitch.

Lastly, in your opinion, is he done as a top level performer? Would a stellar Euros turn anything around for him in your eyes?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Seems a decent player on his day but never understood the hype. Didn't score enough to be remembered as a great scorer. Didn't create enough to be remembered as a great playmaker. He'll be one of those niche players some fanny on this forum picks in a draft and no-one will know who he is.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think a better question is "Will he be remembered?" - Not much.

RUCK4444

Overrated, self centred, b*tch of a player.

At least in my eyes.

Lost all respect for him with those cringe inducing video confirmations about his move from A. Madrid

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I liked Griezmann at his peak. Helped his team to a CL final, and won the World Cup. He was a great player at Atletico.

Not elite tier but very good nevertheless.

Anustart89

Seems a decent player on his day but never understood the hype. Didn't score enough to be remembered as a great scorer. Didn't create enough to be remembered as a great playmaker. He'll be one of those niche players some fanny on this forum picks in a draft and no-one will know who he is.
:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Same as the likes of Vieri, Forlan, Ballack or Falcao. World class at his peak but not one of the first names that we will mention when we indulge in a bit of nostalgia.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Same as the likes of Vieri, Forlan, Ballack or Falcao. World class at his peak but not one of the first names that we will mention when we indulge in a bit of nostalgia.
I'd have him a tier below those guys, except maybe Forlan.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe same as Torres. Not among the best player, but one of top striker during his peak.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
As someone who made 880k a week. Heist of the century that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The guy won a world cup

He'll be remembered as one of the best players of his generation, same as Aguero, Lewandowski, Bale, etc...

JPRouve

Scout
I'd have him a tier below those guys, except maybe Forlan.
And you'd be wrong. He was the talisman of one of the best teams of the 2010s and ended up being one of their best goalscorer ever, he isn't a tier below these players.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The guy won a world cup

He'll be remembered as one of the best players of his generation, same as Aguero, Lewandowski, Bale, etc...
Plenty of average players win a World Cup. It doesn’t make you one of the best of your generation.

He’s a great player on his day though.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
He finished top goalscorer in Euro 2016, won the World Cup in 2018 and scored two goals in the EUROPA league final to win it for Atletico.

He has had his big moments to be remembered and Barca might still sort their act out in the coming years anyway.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As a great player who had very good career.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's interesting how we fans perceive a player relative to their teammates and their respective success. 2 years after the event, we remember Griezmann as one of the stars of the 2018 WC victory. But if Pogba has a stellar 4-5 years now, helping Utd win multiple leagues and CL and if Mbappe continues his current trajectory, I think 15-20 years down the line Griezmann will be a footnote to the 2018 French success with revisionist history lauding Pogba and Mbappe as its major protagonists. Of course, hardcore fans will remember his contributions, but the casual fan will more likely associate that victory with Pogba and Mbappe.

Ballack is actually a very good example of this phenomena. In the 2000s, he was considered one of the best CMs in the world and the heartbeat of the German National team. I remember what a coup it was considered for Chelsea to have signed him and how the pundits at the time were salivating at the prospect of a genuine world class player in his prime coming to ply his trade in the PL. But his lack of CL and international success (I mean winning the tournament), especially coupled with Schweinsteiger's role in Bayern's 2013 treble and the WC win for Germany the following year, somehow raised his stature higher to that of Ballack, at least for the casual fan.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The guy won a world cup

I don't think he will in the UK. I think he's one of those players that will be remembered a lot in Spain/La Liga because of the respect of what he did there + the additions of the WC etc.

I think he will be remembered like Rooney perhaps? If you say to people in the UK to name players that define the PL in the last 10-20 years they'd probably pick Rooney quite easily + the same for Griezemann in La Liga.

If you ask people in the UK to name some of the best players of the last 10-20 years I doubt many would say Griezemann / In Spain I doubt many would say Rooney? Maybe that's just my perception though.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Plenty of average players win a World Cup. It doesn’t make you one of the best of your generation.

He’s a great player on his day though.
He was hardly squad filler though, he was one of their best players throughout, and that's after being the top scorer and best player at the Euros in 2016.

Griezemann is an idiot and not especially likable yeah but it's pretty ludicrous to pretend he's a nothing player who'll be completely forgotten. He'll be remembered at the same level of players like Paolo Rossi, Geoff Hurst etc, not the absolute best of their generation, but still top players who came up with the goods on the world stage.

Gee Male

And you'd be wrong. He was the talisman of one of the best teams of the 2010s and ended up being one of their best goalscorer ever, he isn't a tier below these players.
One of the best teams of the 2010s? His only trophy with Atletico was a Europa League.

I think he will be remembered for what he proved to be - a big fish in a medium sized pond, but not elite.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I don't think he will in the UK. I think he's one of those players that will be remembered a lot in Spain/La Liga because of the respect of what he did there + the additions of the WC etc.

I think he will be remembered like Rooney perhaps? If you say to people in the UK to name players that define the PL in the last 10-20 years they'd probably pick Rooney quite easily + the same for Griezemann in La Liga.

If you ask people in the UK to name some of the best players of the last 10-20 years I doubt many would say Griezemann / In Spain I doubt many would say Rooney? Maybe that's just my perception though.
Cannot comment about Spain, but from a German perspective, have to disagree. Rooney was the english player over here. Often regarded as the number three in the world behind the two freaks, when he (and United) were at the peak of their powers.

Dont think Griezmann comes quite close to that reputation, at least not outside of Spain. Still had a glorious career and is a very good player, I kind of like the Ballack comparison, reputation wise.

JPRouve

Scout
It's interesting how we fans perceive a player relative to their teammates and their respective success. 2 years after the event, we remember Griezmann as one of the stars of the 2018 WC victory. But if Pogba has a stellar 4-5 years now, helping Utd win multiple leagues and CL and if Mbappe continues his current trajectory, I think 15-20 years down the line Griezmann will be a footnote to the 2018 French success with revisionist history lauding Pogba and Mbappe as its major protagonists. Of course, hardcore fans will remember his contributions, but the casual fan will more likely associate that victory with Pogba and Mbappe.

Ballack is actually a very good example of this phenomena. In the 2000s, he was considered one of the best CMs in the world and the heartbeat of the German National team. I remember what a coup it was considered for Chelsea to have signed him and how the pundits at the time were salivating at the prospect of a genuine world class player in his prime coming to ply his trade in the PL. But his lack of CL and international success (I mean winning the tournament), especially coupled with Schweinsteiger's role in Bayern's 2013 treble and the WC win for Germany the following year, somehow raised his stature higher to that of Ballack, at least for the casual fan.
It's particularly true for Brazilian players, people often overlook genuinely great players like Romario but there are players like Careca that aren't even afterthoughts.

SwedishFish

Fortnite dances and bad transfer decisions and that one good cup tournament he had.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Very very good player who has struggled settling in at Barca.
He isnt likeable though.
Those videos etc...
Its not PC but he is very punchable - with his personality/looks/attitude