How will Antoine Griezmann be remembered?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We are talking about how people will remember a player. And people include all sorts, "casual idiotic fans" as well as hardcore hipster fans.
Why should that matter?

My cousin's friends will probably associate him with Drake and that Hotling Bling song dance. If I ask a random guy on the street he may not know him at all.

I'd be infinitely more interested in the view of someone who has seen enough games of Griezmann and his competitors to place his career in proper perspective without bias you normally see in English fans who only see such players a few times a year.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I still don't even know what is his natural position. Is he a winger? Striker? No10?
Meh, very good player who had 2 excellent seasons. And that is it.
Overrated.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Never particularly rated him, actually angry when Barca signed him for cartoon money, have no idea what he's actually supposed to do or be good at. He's a solid enough professional at the top level I guess. For comparison for the other mega flop signings at Barca, Dembele's issue has been his physical problems and lack of professionalism that have caused these. When he's actually on the pitch, you can see what he offers right away when he sails past someone as if they aren't there. Same with Coutinho, whose struggle had been mostly mental, but he still scored a lot of those "cut inside and curl a 20+ yarder into the far corner" goals. Huge stretches of the games go by without Griezemann making an attempt on goal or a clever pass, and he often just runs about not really doing anything.

He also veers dangerously close to manbun territory for me, which is unforgivable.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why should that matter?

My cousin's friends will probably associate him with Drake and that Hotling Bling song dance. If I ask a random guy on the street he may not know him at all.

I'd be infinitely more interested in the view of someone who has seen enough games of Griezmann and his competitors to place his career in proper perspective without bias you normally see in English fans who only see such players a few times a year.
You might be more interested in that, but this thread is not about how Griezmann will be remembered by people you consider worthy enough to have an opinion of him.

How any person in the public eye is remembered depends on mass perception as opposed to how merely critics expert in that field remember him. You might think the latter's opinion is more important, but that's your personal preference.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I find the thread very interesting because it's making me think about a lot of players that are generally not mentioned but were great at the time. I mentioned Careca, Vieri but now I have Bebeto, Makaay or Papin. That's where I see him, in that category of players that will be remembered and will be rated by genuine football fans but will probably not be in casual followers minds.

adexkola

Supports
You might be more interested in that, but this thread is not about how Griezmann will be remembered by people you consider worthy enough to have an opinion of him.

How any person in the public eye is remembered depends on mass perception as opposed to how merely critics expert in that field remember him. You might think the latter's opinion is more important, but that's your personal preference.
The public are idiots. The sooner everyone gets that into their heads, the better.

"What are the experts saying" is not only my personal preference, it is what matters most, as it will be the most accurate reflection of, in this case, how good a player's career has been.

"What joe bloggs in Surrey thinks about Griezmann" may be what you're interested in understanding, but I can't for the life of me understand why, or how that matters in the grand scheme of things.

And it would actually be worrying if a player actually gave a damn about what joe bloggs in Surrey thought about his position amongst the greats

adexkola

Supports
I find the thread very interesting because it's making me think about a lot of players that are generally not mentioned but were great at the time. I mentioned Careca, Vieri but now I have Bebeto, Makaay or Papin. That's where I see him, in that category of players that will be remembered and will be rated by genuine football fans but will probably not be in casual followers minds.
They don't matter. They're idiots (as far as understanding what has really gone on in football). And their dumb ass perspectives shouldn't be brought up or mentioned or even thought of in any serious football conversation.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The public are idiots. The sooner everyone gets that into their heads, the better.

"What are the experts saying" is not only my personal preference, it is what matters most, as it will be the most accurate reflection of, in this case, how good a player's career has been.

"What joe bloggs in Surrey thinks about Griezmann" may be what you're interested in understanding, but I can't for the life of me understand why, or how that matters in the grand scheme of things.

And it would actually be worrying if a player actually gave a damn about what joe bloggs in Surrey thought about his position amongst the greats
Boy you must be fun at parties.

RedDevil@84

Too early to pull out this thread. He could still win a CL or do well at Barca.
As it stands, don't think he has done anything remarkable to be remembered for ages. Maybe Atletico fans or French fans may remember. But otherwise meh.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They don't matter. They're idiots (as far as understanding what has really gone on in football). And their dumb ass perspectives shouldn't be brought up or mentioned or even thought of in any serious football conversation.
At the end of the day, you are right but in the short term they are going to be the most vocal.

lysglimt

Scout
If you had asked me 2-3 years ago - as a really good footballer. Now....it's more like meh....will not be remember as a great

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
He was the third best player at some point as well. I think people are overly harsh here, he was a great player at Atletico, one of the best 10 in the world for years. Central for France as well for 2 major tournaments.
He was never as good as Neymar, Suarez, Lewa, etc nevermind Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Amazing how, if a player loses his way in his career, everything that came before is extinguished and he's a load of shite. Bale went the same way, people forget how good he was when he was good.

Both Griezmann and Bale were players we were drooling over to come to United not that long ago, now, because we don't want either, they were never any good to start with.

el3mel

His legacy was hit hard by the Barca days but he's still a world cup champion. He has many things to be proud of in his career.

Welbeckham

People clearly hate him as a person and will probably underrate him because of that. Extremely important and consistent player for both Atletico and France in a very successful part of their history. By his achievements and performances, I don’t see how he is much lesser than the likes of Hazard and De Bruyne, who I believe are some of most highly regarded players of this early 90’s generation. So I’d place him in that pool of world class attacking players who aren’t Ronaldo or Messi. He’s not as talented as the best players in that pool, but unlike or moreso than many of those players he’s been a very prolific performer in the most valued tournaments on several occasions.

Last edited:

DeSign

For trying to sit at the same table as Messi and Ronaldo during that one lunch break.

Tarrou

in twenty years time I'll remember he scored a few nice goals and that's about it, a bit like how I remember Darren Huckerby now

Blood Mage

Being an Everton level striker who somehow tricked the whole football world into thinking he was a generational talent.

fps

Don’t think much of him tbh. Not that en
Yeah, I was trying to find the right player but I'd either have someone like Rooney who was a bit better or someone like Milner who was a bit worse. I guess my point was that he will be remembered less outside of his league/country than he will within them.
Drogba?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think this comparison is right at all, really. Rooney is a comfortable tier higher in recognition than Griezmann was or will be.
It's a very good comparison actually. Though Rooney will likely remain a more recognized name internationally due to playing for Manchester United

Also a good comparison in terms of individual quality of the two. Same level of players at their best. Rooney has the teen hype going for him though and was at that level for a lot longer

Not sure why you bother posting on a forum, full of you know, idiots.

As an aside, what constitutes an expert? Le Tissier, Merson, Sol Campbell?

adexkola

Supports
Not sure why you bother posting on a forum, full of you know, idiots.

As an aside, what constitutes an expert? Le Tissier, Merson, Sol Campbell?
I'm an idiot too! We all are!

But relatively speaking, we should value the idiots who have watched more games of said players and can add substantial details to the overall picture of what a player has contributed. Someone who's watched almost every Atletico Madrid/France/Barcelona game? His/her opinion is worth that of hundreds of opinions from people who have rarely seen him play. Like me.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Depends on the company he's compared with. That second striker role arguably has had the most depth of top quality over the years so in any all-time comparison he comes up against some fierce competition. Same amongst French or Barcelona pools.

Last edited: