How will Antoine Griezmann be remembered?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Amazing how, if a player loses his way in his career, everything that came before is extinguished and he's a load of shite. Bale went the same way, people forget how good he was when he was good.

Both Griezmann and Bale were players we were drooling over to come to United not that long ago, now, because we don't want either, they were never any good to start with.
Not a fair comparison. Bale was a fantastic player who apparently lost his motivation due to injuries and/or mismanagement. Griezmann was never really as good as Bale. He excelled in a particular system at Atletico and wasn't versatile enough to play in a Barca side where the team's attack is not built around him. At their respective peaks, I'd take Bale over Griezmann all day long.

King7Eric

Yes. It really comes down to which country you're from
Rooney was a miles better player than Griezmann. Rooney is indeed far more popular than Griezmann but he was also a far superior player.

Bole Top

to me he's comfortably below Raul, Benzema, Suarez, Villa and probably quite a few more La Liga forwards. the list just keeps getting longer once you start to include players from other leagues.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Griezmann had five seasons at Atletico Madrid where he was consistently playing at an elite level and one of the best performers in La Liga.

He carried Atletico Madrid to the Champions League final in 2015/16, scoring crucial goals against a very strong Barcelona and Bayern Munich side in the process.

He was the top scorer and best player at Euro 2016, scoring twice as many goals as anyone else.

He was a key player for France in their 2018 World Cup victory.

In 2016, he was a top 5 player in the world.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Griezmann had five seasons at Atletico Madrid where he was consistently playing at an elite level and one of the best performers in La Liga.

He carried Atletico Madrid to the Champions League final in 2015/16, scoring crucial goals against a very strong Barcelona and Bayern Munich side in the process.

He was the top scorer and best player at Euro 2016, scoring twice as many goals as anyone else.

He was a key player for France in their 2018 World Cup victory.

In 2016, he was a top 5 player in the world.
Yeah. The issue was his last season at Atletico showed big signs of a decline and then he went to Barca for huge money with a bit of a mess at management level and its just highlighted the decline IMO.

Superunknown

Talented player for sure. However, what I will remember him for is his utterly stupid and ridiculous Fortnite dance to celebrate his goal in the World Cup final. Biggest stage in the world and he comes up with a classless celebration like that.

Unfortunately, he possesses various characteristics which the "stereotypical modern football" is said to have. He comes across as a 29 year old boy. He and Barcelona deserve each other.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think the profile of teams that a player played for has a massive part to play overall. It’s not just how many games fans have seen of a certain player, it’s also their impact at the very biggest of clubs that can take them to the next level in the eyes of fans.

What van Persie did in his first year at United, for example, trumped everything he had done before. It was magical, but it was also magical at a massive club on the grandest of stages. That one season put him up a level in terms of the names he is remembered with. It’s fine margins.

The fact that he has faltered so far at Barcelona will change the script for his legacy. Imagine if he had arrived at United instead and been allowed to play where he was best. This thread would be wildly different, and even his years at Atletico would be seen differently. He was fantastic for Atletico but transfers and being at the right place, at the right time, under the right coach can mean so much to a players legacy, rightly or wrongly.

Firmino, for example, isn’t half the player, but his legacy will receive a massive boost from being at the right club under the right coach. Fine margins all the way.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not a fair comparison. Bale was a fantastic player who apparently lost his motivation due to injuries and/or mismanagement. Griezmann was never really as good as Bale. He excelled in a particular system at Atletico and wasn't versatile enough to play in a Barca side where the team's attack is not built around him. At their respective peaks, I'd take Bale over Griezmann all day long.
Yeah, Nah.

Griezmann was consistently better than Bale in Spain. Even when Bale was at his best Griezmann was better

King7Eric

Yeah, Nah.

Griezmann was consistently better than Bale in Spain. Even when Bale was at his best Griezmann was better
You really seem to rate Griezmann highly, saying he's as good as Rooney and better than Bale. I have to disagree with you on both accounts. I don't think he's that good.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You really seem to rate Griezmann highly, saying he's as good as Rooney and better than Bale. I have to disagree with you on both accounts. I don't think he's that good.
Saw a lot of him. Also a lot of Bale

I'll grant you i might be off the mark with Rooney

King7Eric

Saw a lot of him. Also a lot of Bale

I'll grant you i might be off the mark with Rooney
Between Bale and Griezmann I suppose it comes to what kind of player you prefer, since they are totally different kind of forwards. I'd always prefer to have a peak Bale in my team over someone like Griezmann, because I believe Bale could change games entirely on his own. I'll agree though that Griezmann has been more consistent than Bale, but at their respective best, I'd prefer Bale.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Should have moved to the club he supported. So much for loyalty to Atletico only to move to one of their rivals a year later.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Between Bale and Griezmann I suppose it comes to what kind of player you prefer, since they are totally different kind of forwards. I'd always prefer to have a peak Bale in my team over someone like Griezmann, because I believe Bale could change games entirely on his own. I'll agree though that Griezmann has been more consistent than Bale, but at their respective best, I'd prefer Bale.
Griezmann has consistently changed and won games on his own though. More consistently than Bale

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can see him ending up at PSG, seems far too obvious but Neymar-Greizy swop?

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for him, remember seeing him first time for Real Sociedad with his blonde hair around 2011 and thinking he looked a good prospect. Had a fair better career than I thought he would when you look at his status for club and country generally over the last six years.

Barca was just the wrong move while Messi is still around.

Woodenlung

He'll be remembered fondly at Sociedad and would've gone down as a club legend if he'd stayed with Atletico.

KennyBurner

Remembered? The guy was never world class but a quality player. Already seen a delusional post comparing him to rvp and Rooney.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
What are you disagreeing with? They are all fine players that are still talked about, my point is that Griezmann will be in that category of players that we only talk about when we make an effort and even then they aren't the first names.
I disagreed with putting Ballack in that category with Griezmann as I thought he (Ballack) was a better player in their respected positions.
I agree with the rest of your post.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I disagreed with putting Ballack in that category with Griezmann as I thought he (Ballack) was a better player in their respected positions.
I agree with the rest of your post.
The point is about how players will be remembered it's not a ranking of players level.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Why should that matter?

My cousin's friends will probably associate him with Drake and that Hotling Bling song dance. If I ask a random guy on the street he may not know him at all.

I'd be infinitely more interested in the view of someone who has seen enough games of Griezmann and his competitors to place his career in proper perspective without bias you normally see in English fans who only see such players a few times a year.
I'm an idiot too! We all are!

But relatively speaking, we should value the idiots who have watched more games of said players and can add substantial details to the overall picture of what a player has contributed. Someone who's watched almost every Atletico Madrid/France/Barcelona game? His/her opinion is worth that of hundreds of opinions from people who have rarely seen him play. Like me.
I know that the other guy you were responding to was talking in a general sense about how the general football fan will remember him and not how he should be remembered so that's fair enough, but I think you make a very pertinent point here on how footballers are evaluated. There's only so much football that a person can watch, we all want an opinion but a lot of the time if it's a player outside of a league that the individual doesn't tend to watch, it's just backed by a handful of games and broad statistics like goal returns. I'd argue that a lot of people in this thread haven't watched that much of Griezmann

Even when it comes to professional footballers and managers, how often do we see ghastly best 11's assembled, especially when selecting from multiple leagues. Every single best 11 in Europe is usually voted mainly on the basis of reputation which makes sense but a lot of the time the discrepancies between performances and the team chosen is obvious.

Remembered? The guy was never world class but a quality player. Already seen a delusional post comparing him to rvp and Rooney.
Is it delusional to compare him to them?
The guy has come third in the Ballon d'Or twice, he won the world cup and was arguably the best performer for France, and has been pretty brilliant in La Liga ever since he hit his groove towards the end of his Sociedad stint. He was one of the best players in La Liga while it was the best league in the world. I can see why someone make a case against the comparison but I can't really see how someone could view it as delusional.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A preening man bun wearing player who wasn't ever as good as hyped.
And often plays outside the only position he's good in - a second striker position that not many play these days.

Untd55

Most players are only really remembered/discussed by their own club's fans. Griezmann is someone who will be spoken about by Atletico fans as part of one of their best teams, but nothing more. He will never be mentioned in the best 11s by other clubs fans, which is the same for most players. Only Barcelona fans (could be remembered as a failure - yet to see), Atletico fans (part of one of best teams, but not part of La Liga winning squad, so less prominence), and the French (world cup winner) will remember him. He will be forgotten by other fans like 99% of players are, no matter if they were good.

Last edited: