How will Antoine Griezmann be remembered?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Most players are only really remembered/discussed by their own club's fans. Griezmann is someone who will be spoken about by Atletico fans as part of one of their best teams, but nothing more. He will never be mentioned in the best 11s by other clubs fans, which is the same for most players. Only Barcelona fans (could be remembered as a failure - yet to see), Atletico fans (part of one of best teams, but not part of La Liga winning squad, so less prominence), and the French (world cup winner) will remember him. He will be forgotten by other fans like 99% of players are, no matter if they were good.
sums most of it up

He's been one of the best French players of his generation and an important part of a world cup winning team, as well as an important part of one the best Spanish clubs of the decade.

So being easily remembered by football history geeks, Atletico supporters and even more casual or focused on their own club la liga, French and Spanish football fans of a certain age is a secure thing.

Outside of that he'll be in the same category as vast majority of players that didn't manage to gain superstardom or all-time great reputation and get forgotten as decades go on. Most fans don't give a shit about football history before they start following the sport outside vaguely knowing the small list of enduring superstars and their own club history... or league at a push.

KeanoMagicHat

Really good for France and Atletico in his peak in two of their most successful eras. Both will remember him fondly. Think his reputation is lower now because of the Barca move but when all is said and done people will remember him scoring key goals in the Champions League and major international tournaments rather than this year.

el3mel

He needs to move from Barca and try to re-discover his form elsewhere. This transfer has been a disaster for everyone involved.

treble_winner

A player with an average 6/10. That’s it.
I like to see how the ones snubbing Manchester United are doing. The list goes on: Renato Sanches, Antoine Griezmann...

Panther

Fantastic player for Atletico for 5 seasons, France's best player, golden boot winner and the tournament's best player at Euro 2016, major contributor to France's 2018 World Cup win, part of France's golden generation.

One bad season living in Messi's shadow at a terribly managed Barcelona doesn't erase his past accomplishments. What he needs is a move to a different club where he can be the key player so he can find his confidence and form again.

As for the staying at Atletico video announcement, that was pretty cringe but he's not going to be remembered for that. As for his WC final celebration, who cares? it's a celebration, I'm sure people will care more about him scoring in a WC final.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
He is gonna be the type of player where fans 20 years from now will go: "Aaaah yeah, Griezmann, he was massive at Atletico, quality player! Can't believe I forgot about him. Definitely in the top 25 attacking players of the 2010s! Sucked at Barca, though."

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He is gonna be the type of player where fans 20 years from now will go: "Aaaah yeah, Griezmann, he was massive at Atletico, quality player! Can't believe I forgot about him. Definitely in the top 25 attacking players of the 2010s! Sucked at Barca, though."
I just hope Barca will stop playing him out of position. It’s like putting Müller on the wing. It kinda works but is only mediocre to good.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I just hope Barca will stop playing him out of position. It’s like putting Müller on the wing. It kinda works but is only mediocre to good.
He, like Müller, is also a player that can elevate any team that plays with a plan and purpose, but he can't drag a horribly adjusted team out of the mud by himself. See Müller in Löw's squads post 2014 (still fuming that this fraud hasn't been sacked yet) or under Kovac, and Griezmann now.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Once was a great tool for Simeones football, then leave that behind and followed silly money to Barca, and forget asking the officials there how he would fit into that team. Then you remember his stupid telefon cheering and thats it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Mendieta seems to be a fair comparison (both even have a failed Barcelona move). Although I think that a younger generation would actually remember him quite well, his persona resonates well with them.

Mendieta seems to be a fair comparison (both even have a failed Barcelona move). Although I think that a younger generation would actually remember him quite well, his persona resonates well with them.
Next step Middlesbrough! That was some fall from grace.

El Jefe

Most of you are being too harsh purely because you don't like him which I find as childish as his 'La decision'.

Griezmann was a great player and one who shone in La Liga, CL/EL and for his National team. Him not fitting in at Barca doesn't change any of that. He finished 3rd in the Ballon D'or twice so of course he'll be remembered.

Not to mention he won a World Cup and played for the most infamous club team of the decade. He may not be Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo and a handful of others but when talk of the 2010-2020 era comes up, Griezmann's name will be mentioned.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Strange bunch we have here who are above remembering more than 10 footballers per generation.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Once was a great tool for Simeones football, then leave that behind and followed silly money to Barca, and forget asking the officials there how he would fit into that team. Then you remember his stupid telefon cheering and thats it.
Didn't follow silly money. He was getting the same at atletico

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wasn’t he a barber or something?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't follow silly money. He was getting the same at atletico
It's hilarious that player who moved from Atletico to Barca is termed as "following the money" ignoring Barca are one of the best clubs and the chance to win trophies is much higher at Barca.

Revan

Assumptionman
Strange bunch we have here who are above remembering more than 10 footballers per generation.
Even stranger when you consider that Griezmann is a top 10 player of last decade.

I think people are still a bit bitter that he did not join us.

Chief123

Paul pogba’s mate with a fortnite addiction and a tendency for unnecessary drama with an anti-climatic finish. Footballing wise will be remembered for his childish celebrations.

tjb

People are overrating his impact. Atletico isn't big enough for him to be remembered and he is not Totti, quality or loyalty wise. Ayala or Aimar for Valencia should be good examples. The world cup might help him, but I see Mbappe eventually taking most of the credit for that team.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Free kicks are the the easiest on pes.

Icemav

It's interesting how we fans perceive a player relative to their teammates and their respective success. 2 years after the event, we remember Griezmann as one of the stars of the 2018 WC victory. But if Pogba has a stellar 4-5 years now, helping Utd win multiple leagues and CL and if Mbappe continues his current trajectory, I think 15-20 years down the line Griezmann will be a footnote to the 2018 French success with revisionist history lauding Pogba and Mbappe as its major protagonists. Of course, hardcore fans will remember his contributions, but the casual fan will more likely associate that victory with Pogba and Mbappe.

Ballack is actually a very good example of this phenomena. In the 2000s, he was considered one of the best CMs in the world and the heartbeat of the German National team. I remember what a coup it was considered for Chelsea to have signed him and how the pundits at the time were salivating at the prospect of a genuine world class player in his prime coming to ply his trade in the PL. But his lack of CL and international success (I mean winning the tournament), especially coupled with Schweinsteiger's role in Bayern's 2013 treble and the WC win for Germany the following year, somehow raised his stature higher to that of Ballack, at least for the casual fan.
This is pretty much spot on.

peridigm

Just saw on twitter he has 3 children who were all born on April 8th, 2016, 2019, and 2021.
That's how I will remember him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Fantastic player for Atletico for 5 seasons, France's best player, golden boot winner and the tournament's best player at Euro 2016, major contributor to France's 2018 World Cup win, part of France's golden generation.

One bad season living in Messi's shadow at a terribly managed Barcelona doesn't erase his past accomplishments. What he needs is a move to a different club where he can be the key player so he can find his confidence and form again.

As for the staying at Atletico video announcement, that was pretty cringe but he's not going to be remembered for that. As for his WC final celebration, who cares? it's a celebration, I'm sure people will care more about him scoring in a WC final.
This. He will be remembered in France and Spain, basically grew up as a footballer at Real Sociedad. He won’t be remembered much outside of that because very few players get remembered across the globe beyond their career-based fan base.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
He reminds me of Forlan and will fade in memory in a similar way i would think.

Comparing him with Ballack is not fair in my opinion, Ballack was a step above as a player in how much impact and quality he added to his teams.

Robertd0803

Ill remember him as not joining us when he should and my burning hatred of Fortnite is largely due to his stupid celebrations.