How will Antoine Griezmann be remembered?

InfiniteBoredom

Wasn’t it the transfer ban Atletico received that scuppered any deal for him?
The time to bring him here was 2015, he just had a breakout season at Sociedad with 20 goals and 5 assists in all comps. It was such an obvious buy even if only as a depth signing given that all of our wide options at the time performed very badly in that 13/14 campaign. Atletico got a free run at him and the rest is history.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Barcelona were the worst club in the world for him to join, and many (perhaps even most) people called that transfer as a failure before it happened. He just didn't fit that team at all. Was one of the most obvious bad transfers I can remember for both club and player (well, he came out of it with an incredible amount of money).

I'd expect he would have succeeded at pretty much any other top club in the world.
All fair, I just feel like United would have had no idea where to play him, would overindulge him in terms of contracts and quickly get into the same loop of resentment that happened with Pogba.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
All fair, I just feel like United would have had no idea where to play him, would overindulge him in terms of contracts and quickly get into the same loop of resentment that happened with Pogba.
Yeah, like a gigantic club such as us would buy someone for gazillion pounds and not know where to play him. We're not that clueless yes we are we are clueless sounds legit

Dannn411

Neat little player. Not a legend or all time great. Not even a cult hero.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His lack of silverware at club level always surprises me. Europa League and Copa Del Rey is all that he has.

Good player though, not sure why the Barcelona move was such a failure

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His lack of silverware at club level always surprises me. Europa League and Copa Del Rey is all that he has.

Good player though, not sure why the Barcelona move was such a failure
The best part is the pateticos won the league while he was at farsa :lol:

Move was a failure because he's technically incompatible with Messi

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The best part is the pateticos won the league while he was at farsa :lol:

Move was a failure because he's technically incompatible with Messi
They were actually very good together during the second season, especially the second part of that season.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
He scored in a WC final and was player of the tournament at a Euros, was immense in the last WC too up til the final where he had a poor game. Forgettable club career in terms of trophies but a string of great seasons at Atletico where he carried them on his back, including to the CL final in '16. He has been a world class player for large stretches of his career, just doesn't really have the trophy cabinet to back him up. Also he did a silly dance in the WC final when he scored and that annoyed me.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And Pedro was technically compatible with Messi.
Griezmann wasn't. Griezmann was made lesser, hugely so, to the point of looking like one of the worst deals ever, by being forced to be a glorified Pedro to fit next to Messi

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The Griezmann transfer to was so idiotic. Barca invested a fortune on one of the very few players incompatible with Messi and Griezmann joined basically the only club in the world at which he would not play in his best position.

It is a shame, really, since I had been hoping that Griezmann joins a more proactive club that would get the best out of his immense abilities for years. Same for Dybala. Both players 'wasted' their careers to an extent by playing for very negative teams.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
He has equalled Luis Aragones as Atletico's all-time top scorer.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Definitely one of the All-time greats for Atletico. For everyone else he will be remembered as a really good striker, but not a legend of the game.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I will always remember him as a twat anyway. He scored against Ireland and did that very gowly "answering the phone" celebration. Typical kind of twat that dyes their hair pink. I'd say he wears dress shoes with no socks and shorts too. Seems like the type.

Brophs

The One and Only
Simply, as the man who put a smile on the face of all who he met.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Do you know the meaning of this word? Because he ignorantly wore black face he's a racist?

He is good friends with all his black French teammates and black basketball players.
It has nothing to do with that.

Now I ask you back, do you know what's the meaning of that word? does racism only apply to one race? nope it doesn't, the word should be self explanatory.

JogaBonitoRooney

It has nothing to do with that.

Now I ask you back, do you know what's the meaning of that word? does racism only apply to one race? nope it doesn't, the word should be self explanatory.
I've seen that video too. It was Dembele the one being the dick and you could call it racist if he is implying what we might think he is. Griezmann was just there when a smirk and gigging at Dembele being immature and recording him. All the comments are angry with Dembele.

Griezmann didn't say anything racist or anything at all and was put in a awkward situation. It's not like he's going to have a go at his young France teammate and give him a lesson. I mean he could but if he doesn't it's not fair to label him a racist because he didn't speak up. It's like when our friends do something inappropriate in front of us, sometimes you just giggle or laugh but you don't participate.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I've seen that video too. It was Dembele the one being the dick and you could call it racist if he is implying what we might think he is. Griezmann was just there when a smirk and gigging at Dembele being immature and recording him. All the comments are angry with Dembele.

Griezmann didn't say anything racist or anything at all and was put in a awkward situation. It's not like he's going to have a go at his young France teammate and give him a lesson. I mean he could but if he doesn't it's not fair to label him a racist because he didn't speak up. It's like when our friends do something inappropriate in front of us, sometimes you just giggle or laugh but you don't participate.
Ah yes, let's laugh at racist remarks to show that I'm not racist. Fact is both are adults and should have known better. If my friend is being racist (even just a little), the last thing I'd do is to record myself laughing at it. Because it's not funny anyway.

Ágætis Byrjun

His style of football is absolutely sublime to watch. Technique, game intelligence, finishing you name it. And also has the brain to adapt to any part of the 2.5-final third which makes me wonder why the Barca move failed.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The move to Barcelona has been a disaster for him thus far. Stripped of his status, standing and seemingly his football identity as his confidence has nosedived and he doesn't look like the same player riding the crest of a wave having been one of the stars of the 2018 World Cup.

Seems to me, despite his highs between 2015 through to 2018, and what looks like being the peak period of his career, he was never universally regarded as one of the true greats active. Is that a fair assumption to make?

What was it about the player that had so few warm to him? And how come so many have written him off because of this stint in a dysfunctional team?

I feel as though he'll be a footnote for the 2010's when he hangs them up in stark contrast to numerous players of the same time period who will be considered greats of their time or certainly greater than Griezmann despite not being peered with the output he had relative to the position he plays on the pitch.

Lastly, in your opinion, is he done as a top level performer? Would a stellar Euros turn anything around for him in your eyes?
A world class player in my book. Just not an all time great.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His style of football is absolutely sublime to watch. Technique, game intelligence, finishing you name it. And also has the brain to adapt to any part of the 2.5-final third which makes me wonder why the Barca move failed.
Because if you buy a Ferrari then bring it to a shop to turn it into a Fiat 500, what you have is a Fiat 500. He did adapt at Barcelona. He did exactly what those sides asked of him and did it well. The problem lied in what he was asked/allowed to do

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Rui Costa would be a more apt comparison.
Neither of them is similar.

I can't remember a player similar to him tbh; he's like a mix of Djorkaeff and Nedved.

Edit: paying more attention, looks like you're talking about how his legacy will be remember and not his playstyle. Aimar and Rui Costa are good comparison in this case.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

The move to Barcelona has been a disaster for him thus far. Stripped of his status, standing and seemingly his football identity as his confidence has nosedived and he doesn't look like the same player riding the crest of a wave having been one of the stars of the 2018 World Cup.

Seems to me, despite his highs between 2015 through to 2018, and what looks like being the peak period of his career, he was never universally regarded as one of the true greats active. Is that a fair assumption to make?

What was it about the player that had so few warm to him? And how come so many have written him off because of this stint in a dysfunctional team?

I feel as though he'll be a footnote for the 2010's when he hangs them up in stark contrast to numerous players of the same time period who will be considered greats of their time or certainly greater than Griezmann despite not being peered with the output he had relative to the position he plays on the pitch.

Lastly, in your opinion, is he done as a top level performer? Would a stellar Euros turn anything around for him in your eyes?
Griezmann will be remembered as one of the France greats, and rightly so. One of the 10-15 best players of his generation.