How will Antoine Griezmann be remembered?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It depends on what we understand by forgotten. I think that he will be in the Klose, Kluivert, Seedorf, Denilson or Romario category. Players that aren't forgotten but not mentioned as much as they should.
Klose bracket sounds about right.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It depends on what we understand by forgotten. I think that he will be in the Klose, Kluivert, Seedorf, Denilson or Romario category. Players that aren't forgotten but not mentioned as much as they should.
Well, in that case the question has to be exactly which category he belongs to: because those players are clearly not on the same level.

There are roughly six and a half country miles between Denilson and Romario, for one thing.

tomaldinho1

Probably quite similarly to Bruno to be honest when people are looking back in decades to come.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well, in that case the question has to be exactly which category he belongs to: because those players are clearly not on the same level.

There are roughly six and a half country miles between Denilson and Romario, for one thing.
The point wasn't about level but about being forgotten. Some of the very best players ever are largely forgotten while far inferior players are remembered. As an example Denilson career was highly disappointing and that's why he is still mentioned but he is also not the first name that will come randomly, it will be in a particular context. Romario isn't often mentioned without context which is either when people are mentioning Ronaldo or an other braziliian star from the 90s. The same can be said about Bebeto.

These players aren't forgotten but objectively they are not the first names mentioned even when you limit the topic to their national teams.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Klose bracket sounds about right.
Something like that, perhaps.

Klose is something of a special case, though. He was always considered positively underwhelming at club level. Griezmann never won a major club trophy (no, the EL is not a major club trophy), but he was certainly not considered underwhelming in his prime for Atlético Madrid, quite to the contrary.

I'd have Griezmann over Klose, personally.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

I will remember him as a cnut, for his hairstyle alone.

Excellent player though, very underrated.

Taribo's Gap

A lot of his memorability will be driven by things that have very little to do with his football ability like celebrations (Peter Crouch), his Barcelona "decision" video (Jack Wilshere), his proximity to the Bataclan tragedy ( Emiliano Sala) and the hair, which has already been mentioned (Carlos Valderrama).

In terms of antics and personality, someone like Mario Ballotelli is probably more memorable. In terms of football, Griezmann doesn't have enough memorable moments to his name that stand out all that much.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think he's clearly betting than all of those except Romario whom he is clearly inferior to.

Closer i think to someone like Stoichkov.

Baxquux

Was better than Mbappe in that France vs. England game. We also should have signed him once Rooney was on his last legs and before Atlético received that transfer ban - slight manchild tendencies or not - given the sort of money that was flying about on other players.

Jeffthered

Superb player. Unique. He looks after himself and has many years at the highest level in him. Deschamps plays him, every, single game. He's a little bit of a kid, but what a footballer. He's played in the biggest games on the planet and delivered in many. Class player, excellent football brain.. very gifted.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
As good as he is he definitely would have been another expensive disaster at United, see: his expensive disaster spell at Barcelona.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Griezzman is an excellent player. Beyond technical quality, good decision-making and goals, a lot of goals being a midfielder in a Simeone team, what I value most about him is his work ethic.

Great professional who runs and presses like the most, great teammate and a necessary player for any team.

At Barcelona he wasted 2 years of his career. The club had it easy. Two pivots and he is an attacking midfielder (VdB style at Ajax).

-----------Busquets - - - - - - FDJ
---------------------- Griezzman

Messi - - - - - - Suárez - - - - - - Dembele

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Griezzman is an excellent player. Beyond technical quality, good decision-making and goals, a lot of goals being a midfielder in a Simeone team, what I value most about him is his work ethic.

Great professional who runs and presses like the most, great teammate and a necessary player for any team.

At Barcelona he wasted 2 years of his career. The club had it easy. Two pivots and he is an attacking midfielder (VdB style at Ajax).

-----------Busquets - - - - - - FDJ
---------------------- Griezzman

Messi - - - - - - Suárez - - - - - - Dembele
Can't help but think that he wasted more than "just" the two years at Barca. Players with his abilities shouldn't play in very negative teams for their whole career. Same goes for Dybala for instance.

Jeffthered

Can't help but think that he wasted more than "just" the two years at Barca. Players with his abilities shouldn't play in very negative teams for their whole career. Same goes for Dybala for instance.
Sometimes it happens. We bought Veron, who was an incredible talent, pushed Scholes further up to play off the No 9.

It didn't work. Veron was sold, and Scholes went back to midfield. SAF did all that. So stuff happens sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't work out, and that's fine as long as you recognise and deal with it quickly.

Oranges038

Remember seeing him play in the Toulon tournament when he was 16/17 and he stood out a mile.

I think he'll be remembered as an excellent player, but will always be considered a level or two behind the greats. More memorable like a Pires rather than a Zidane.

Jeffthered

He won't be remembered.
Of course he will.

Not only for his football either. He's not Messi or CR7, not many are, but he is as good and as credible as any player amongst the next level. You don't play that many games for the best International team in the world over a number of years, winning one world cup, losing the next on pens, and being first pick for the manager, every game, without being remembered. If you remember Emmanuel Petit, of course you remember Antoine Griezmann. He's also a little iconic, and reflects the aspirations of many young players, and probably young people. He transcends football in that way, like Pogba does.

fps

I reckon something like how Ribery is - a top top player who consistently worked hard and made the difference, but not an attacking destroyer like the all-time legendary forwards of world football.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His longevity has been a big surprise for me. I thought he would have checked out of the game and coasted after the Barca debacle, but he's added more to his game in the subsequent years and went and had that World Cup performance, too.

Not only has he shown a really top percentile level of football intelligence, he's shown there's tonnes of graft and industry behind all the silly antics.

His story still has more chapters left to add, it seems and I think they may have a say in his final regard as a player.

Very impressive player.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Should have signed him over Pogba.
He's a fan, too, isn't he? If we were to compile a list of players Sir Alex would've liked to manage in their prime, and they would've also won much more under his guidance, Griezmann would probably be one of the first names on it. As Fortitude mentioned, he has the skills, the work ethic and the intelligence of an excellent footballer.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wasn’t it the transfer ban Atletico received that scuppered any deal for him?

Malkovich

Honestly not sure he will be remembered that much.

Only a handfew of players per generation are remembered.

Like, does anyone ever think of Giuly? He also was a very good player, but who cares?

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Honestly not sure he will be remembered that much.

Only a handfew of players per generation are remembered.

Like, does anyone ever think of Giuly? He also was a very good player, but who cares?
Yes, you.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
See you in a decade when someone starts the 'who was better, Bruno or Griezmann' thread
Unless Bruno gets back to consistently playing like he did in his first 18 months here and leads us to multiple trophies, the only people who would even compare the two are Utd fans. And even then I expect most would accept they aren't at the same level. At this point in time Griezmann is waaaaay out ahead.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As good as he is he definitely would have been another expensive disaster at United, see: his expensive disaster spell at Barcelona.
Barcelona were the worst club in the world for him to join, and many (perhaps even most) people called that transfer as a failure before it happened. He just didn't fit that team at all. Was one of the most obvious bad transfers I can remember for both club and player (well, he came out of it with an incredible amount of money).

I'd expect he would have succeeded at pretty much any other top club in the world.