How will City fare when Pep leaves?

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Unfortunately for us I don't think he will leave anytime soon. I am afraid he has what it needs to dominate English football for quite a while. I see 3 scenarios in which he can leave:
1. He gets bored and wants a different challenge
2. The so called sanctions will apply and City will get banned/stripped of trophies etc. - unlikely scenario
3. Gets into a conflict with someone from upstairs within the club - unlikely

If he decides to leave and City will have the same financial power as they have now, then obviously that they will hire a good manager, but not as good, because at least at this moment, there isn't any better.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Every big club should do better than we did after losing a top manager but that's because we've managed to be make a complete mess of it.

If we continue to do so City will keep clearing up after Pep because we're the only club that can consistently compete with them.

Liverpool and Arsenal can't sustain it long term. Klopp has already worked miracles to push them as he has.
Honestly, not having a dig here, but I think there's a bit of a contradiction there, because without SAF, you haven't shown you can compete with them for the league once, never mind consistently.

Or are you talking about potentially post Qatari takeover?

Marwood

Honestly, not having a dig here, but I think there's a bit of a contradiction there, because without SAF, you haven't shown you can compete with them for the league once, never mind consistently.

Or are you talking about potentially post Qatari takeover?
It'd be contradictory to say we have challenged them but saying we're the team with the finances and status over the last decade to go to toe with them is accurate. We have been the one club with that ability.

We've just made a mess of it.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I see your point but I don't know. Mansour took over fully in 2008. Takes a while to get going, I get that. First title was in 2012. Second was in 2014. All in all they had 2 titles in about 8 years before Pep took over. Pep will have 5 in 7 years at the club. Basically, the only times he hasn't won are his first season and the Covid year when Liverpool started like gangbusters. I still think the evidence suggests that they won't be anywhere near as dominant once he leaves. They'll get the best guy they can (unlike United did!) but he won't be as good as Pep most likely.
That's sort of what I mean. It takes time to build a team that consistently wins the league. They had some top players in those initial years, but they've built a top squad under a top manager now.
I agree that they won't be as dominant, a lot will depend on how well the other top teams build their squads. Liverpool are the only ones who have been close up until this season, and both them and Arsenal have shown that having a lack of quality depth isn't good enough.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Part of me wants City to win the treble because of the slight chance Pep might leave for another challenge. If he stays, I could see City winning another the PL in 2024 and 2025, or 7 of 8.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's not leaving anytime soon; he'll never get a more comfortable template to establish himself as the best of the best, in a historical sense.
[hopefully, they get smashed in the courtroom and he gets fecked]

Plus, they're not run by complete idiots.
Assuming the backroom stuff he brought with him / that City has recruited to complement his work won't necessarily leave with him,
when he does leave, they should be fine, as in, still at the top and not experiencing a catastrophic downfall.
Basically this. He has good chance to challenge for GOAT if he stays longer, why would he leave? Unless they got smashed badly in the courtroom.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The only way it ends is if the powers that be come down hard on them. If Pep leaves and their spending power decreases then they might end up at least at a level where they’re not totally dominant.

A few failed managers having to go through a rebuild phase would help.

Revan

Assumptionman
They will be fine. They are very well managed.

I said it a while ago and it seems to be closer to coming into life with every passing year but I fully expect City to eclipse our total league titles tally and CL wins before we win another major trophy. They will be on 9 league titles and 1 CL win after this season. Probably going to take 16-18 years to get to 20 titles but they may get to 3 CL wins within the next decade quite realistically. Maybe much sooner even.
They won’t reach 20 league titles in 16-18 years. It is unlikely that Pep will stay near as long, and it is unlikely that Newcastle, United-post takeover and Chelsea will be completely shit for the next two decades. Add some unexpected things like Liverpool or Arsenal having good seasons once in a while, or someone buying Spurs. Unlikely * unlikely = very unlikely. So while they will continue being the best club in the country (with Pep), and one of the best, or even the best (without Pep), they won’t those many titles in this period you mentioned.

UCL at the moment looks more realistic (hey Zidane won 3 in 3). But again, it is extremely unlikely for that to happen. No other manager or club has defended UCL. And as great as Pep is, the last time he won the UCL is in 2011. If he wins it this time (he still hasn’t), it would be 12 years since the last one. There is not much to suggest that they will then win another 2 this decade. Sure, they might, but not counting Real Madrid, the only other team who has won 3 UCLs within a decade is Barcelona). While having the best player ever, one of the best, if not the best, teams ever and for some part, one of the best manager’s ever.

City are not yet as good as that Barcelona.

poleglass red

If we finish in top 4, big if, that would mean 2 of the top 4 teams coached by managers that have worked under Pep ie Arteta and ETH. Barca just won Spanish league with Xavi as coach, a player who of course played under Pep. He's been criticised as only managing big teams with endless resources, but he still has to get the right players and play in the right way, and more importantly keep the players happy. We know at Utd that is easier said than done. You could maybe criticise his success in CL, he probably, with teams he's had, won it more times, but I'd say that about Fergie as well in fairness.