How will you deal with it when Pool win the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
God, now I'm worried again.

If City somehow balls this up, the fallout would be.....unpleasant.

Oh Jesus, Andy Carroll is going to score a 94th minute winner this weekend to win them the league.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Liverpool look like their heads have been gone though. Celebrating after City like they had won the league, then crying yesterday like they had lost it. Got to keep your heads until it's over.
I've found their public displays of emotion rather weird so far, they've seemed like a very inexperienced side from that point of view. In such a close title race where a lot boils down to psychology (not a major part of course, but it's an important factor), I would've thought that they'd have been advised to keep a 'business as usual' façade until it's done.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Your logic is simply flawed. So it's ok for you to assume that Liverpool will beat Newcastle at home but it isn't ok to assume that City will beat at least one of Villa or West Ham? Ok.
It's not so much 'winning against at least one of Villa or West Ham' that Joe is putting forward, he's essentially saying that it's not far fetched to think that City could lose one of those game. I tend to agree with him, it's been a bit of a crazy season.

Robbie Boy

Who said I was assuming Liverpool would beat Newcastle. I'm just making a point that it wouldn't take much for this to go sour. No flawed logic there. There's a difference between me pointing out that this potentially isn't over and people saying it definately is.
You said "they only have to lose one and this dream is over". Would that not be you assuming that Liverpool will beat Newcastle, given that Liverpool are currently only one point ahead?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
If you could just decide to win a game of football it'd be very boring. Even if City win tomorow night it won't be 'over'.

Wait till Sunday before getting over excited. Though I'm not really sure how anyone can be so overjoyed over City winning the league anyway, regardless of who was their closest contender.

Shark

@NotShark
City won't lose either of their last two, if an upset is going to happen it'll be a draw at most.

It's over.

Robbie Boy

It's not so much 'winning against at least one of Villa or West Ham' that Joe is putting forward, he's essentially saying that it's not far fetched to think that City could lose one of those game. I tend to agree with him, it's been a bit of a crazy season.
Of course they potentially 'could'. But when he said "they only have to lose one and this dream is over" - that's him assuming that Liverpool will go on to beat Newcastle.

For what it's worth; I fancy City winning their next two games. I think they may make it hard on themselves, but they will get there. They really couldn't have wished for two easier games. Liverpool fans really had to rely on them losing points in those two tricky away games against Palace and Everton.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
You said "they only have to lose one and this dream is over". Would that not be you assuming that Liverpool will beat Newcastle, given that Liverpool are currently only one point ahead?
I'm not playing this game with you when it's fairly obvious what my point was.

Shark

@NotShark
Who said I was assuming Liverpool would beat Newcastle. I'm just making a point that it wouldn't take much for this to go sour. No flawed logic there. There's a difference between me pointing out that this potentially isn't over and people saying it definately is.
Except it would, it would take either Villa or West Ham to pick up three points at the Etihad, which is highly unlikely.

Sir A1ex

Nope, it's not really possible that City won't win at least one. As long as they don't lose them (and it'd be a massive shock if they did) it's done.
That's lucky because massive shocks don't happen in football. Especially not at this time of the season.

EVerybody is waaaay to confident after last night. It was a big result, but we are still one shit City performance away from disaster. This is a team that drew at home to Sunderland a couple of weeks back - did anybody see that coming?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's lucky because massive shocks don't happen in football. Especially not at this time of the season.

EVerybody is waaaay to confident after last night. It was a big result, but we are still one shit City performance away from disaster. This is a team that drew at home to Sunderland a couple of weeks back - did anybody see that coming?
Yeah, just like last season people were telling me that we can lose 4 out of the last 6 (then 5) games and lose the title, apparently it could easily happen. Who knows? Chelsea could easily win the league this season too. All it takes is for Liverpool to lose to Newcastle, City to lose both games and Chelsea to win on the final day.

Robbie Boy

Sorry, shall I change it to "could be over" and you can stop being so contrary about it.
I'm not being contrary, I'm pulling you up on your assumption. If it wasn't an assumption, then as I said, it was very poor wording.

Robbie Boy

City's home record this season: Played 17 Won 15 Lost 1 Drawn 1 Goals For 57 Goals Against 13.

City's one home defeat was against a dogged Chelsea side. So, in all honesty, the odds are absolutely stacked against Liverpool winning the league.

Last edited:

Sad Chris

FFS..stop this stupid argument about if or if not Shitty can lose a game...the thread title is not "let's be pessimistic until the end"! Actually it should be "How will you deal with it IF Pool EVER win the league AGAIN". I've been having a ball since last night, so no need to whipe the smile of my face by bringing any logic into this! I'm going to enjoy every second of a crashing, burning Liverpool until the second I'm proven wrong! And that'll be...NEVER!!!

And to stay on topic...I'll be long gone and dead if Liverpool ever win the league again, so I'll remain calm.

togg

Well...until it's mathematically impossible, I think I'll wait till sunday to breathe a sigh of relief. However...then seeing pictures of City parading the trophy is probably going to put a huge dampener on it!!!!!

Shark

@NotShark
Well...until it's mathematically impossible, I think I'll wait till sunday to breathe a sigh of relief. However...then seeing pictures of City parading the trophy is probably going to put a huge dampener on it!!!!!
True, but they were expected to win it this season and half of their fan base seem to be unaware that they're even in a title race going by the terrible atmosphere.

I can deal with it a lot better than the dippers winning it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
True, but they were expected to win it this season and half of their fan base seem to be unaware that they're even in a title race going by the terrible atmosphere.

I can deal with it a lot better than the dippers winning it.
I think it's fair to say that a bigger percentage of OT will be sold out tonight than Etihad tomorrow.

GBBQ

Shades of '99 when we drew against Blackburn and had thrown the season away only for Leeds to do a number on Arsenal the following night. The end of the season is a strange time when games you would bank on winning become more daunting when the nerves set in.

Sir A1ex

Yeah, just like last season people were telling me that we can lose 4 out of the last 6 (then 5) games and lose the title, apparently it could easily happen.
Good point - the league leaders losing 4 out of their final 6 matches is no less likely than the league leaders losing one match.:rolleyes:

Shark

@NotShark
Yeah, just like last season people were telling me that we can lose 4 out of the last 6 (then 5) games and lose the title, apparently it could easily happen. .
Some people worry to an annoying extent alright. There's a time when you have to say that it's over, even if it's still not Mathematically over.

In my mind, the title race ended last night.

Sarni

Good point - the league leaders losing 4 out of their final 6 matches is no less likely than the league leaders losing one match.:rolleyes:
Both are very unlikely and it's unnecessary worrying. City have won 15 out of 17 home games this season, they are up against two poor teams and only really need to win one and draw one. Even drawing one of the two would be against the odds, failing to win both would be extra-ordinary and losing either would be a big shock too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Just seen a peach of an analogy for Liverpool's season.

"It's like going out expecting to pull Coleen Rooney and taking home Cheryl Cole, only to lose your hard-on as you're bending her over the coffee table."

Sir A1ex

Both are very unlikely and it's unnecessary worrying. City have won 15 out of 17 home games this season, they are up against two poor teams and only really need to win one and draw one. Even drawing one of the two would be against the odds, failing to win both would be extra-ordinary and losing either would be a big shock too.
It's against the odds, yes, but it's far from a given. When it comes down to the wire, all sorts of mental results happen. Look at last night - I'm pretty sure you would have said the same when Liverpool were 3-0 up.

Don't forget, this is a team that very, very nearly bloew the league on the last day of the season by failing to beat QPR at home.

Sarni

It's against the odds, yes, but it's far from a given. When it comes down to the wire, all sorts of mental results happen. Look at last night - I'm pretty sure you would have said the same when Liverpool were 3-0 up.

Don't forget, this is a team that very, very nearly bloew the league on the last day of the season by failing to beat QPR at home.
QPR that had all to play for though. Had Bolton not been relegated by the final whistle QPR would have hold on too, I can't imagine they'd have conceded two in the dying minutes.

mufcwarm92

Like Palace last night?

You go on believeing it's all done and dusted if you like. Just don't come crying to me if City screw it up.
Well it isn't over, but this is the the best squad with the best home record playing two of the worst teams in the country, both of whom have nothing to play for. And they only need 4 points. It's as close to a formality as the final two games is ever going to be and it would take an upset of astronomical proportions to feck it up.

Sarni

Like Palace last night?

You go on believeing it's all done and dusted if you like. Just don't come crying to me if City screw it up.
That's why Palace went 3-0 down, they didn't care about holding on earlier. Once they got the goal it got their spirits up and after their 2nd they knew they had a famous come back on their hands. Obviously it could be the case with Villa and West Ham, both of whom will want to spoil the party, but ultimately a motivated City side should easily dispose of them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thank goodness Pool bottled the Palace game, as a draw and a win looks a lot less demanding than 2 wins.

Even a draw against sh!T Villa at home means Pool will have to catch up 9 goals!!

Get it done tonight City, then we can really dig out the Hansen clip, the Gerrard slip, the Suarez crying etc

Sir A1ex

Nearly there... nearly there...

Still not out of the woods yet though. The very fact that it would be the most mental last-day turn-around imaginable worries me a little. I can just picture the media bagning on about the West Ham Miracle for decades to come...:nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.