How would you feel if Rooney smashed it at Everton?

C'est Moi Cantona

Even he does 'smash it', then it'll only be a very brief affair, still hard to believe we managed to shift him without any major issue, no mean feat by Jose and Ed.

Devil81

Was thinking of adding him to my fantasy team this season, he's cheap and will no doubt raise his game.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He'll have his moments. He's really quite good at this football lark, so that much is inevitable.

It's whether he has enough to justify playing regularly for a top half side that is I think understandably a matter of debate.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
This is the key point. People don't understand the difference between leading the line for a club like Manchester United and Everton FC.

Rooney can still prove to be a key player for Everton - a team that aspires to finish in the top four.
:nervous: Uh... and what have we been recently?

Rafateria

Not exactly a Rooney post but as there's no Everton thread .....

THis is more than likely why Everton moved fast and for so many players this window :

Wilt

Interested to see if takes over from Baines as the penalty taker? :devil:

....if so I see him getting 16+

MuFc_1992

Interested to see if takes over from Baines as the penalty taker? :devil:

....if so I see him getting 16+
I don't see why baines should give up penalties considering how good he is at them.

Rooney24

Rooney has been pretty good at penalties lately but it would send the wrong message to take penalty duties away from Baines IMO.
He Scored 27 pens for us and missed 9. Thats a success rate of 75%. Pretty average for penalties I would say.

Baines by comparison scored 24 and missed 3. No brainer who should hit the penalties for everton next season.

Danny Roberts

I'd be happy for Rooney. It was that rare thing in football/business/life, a good deal for all parties.

As has been said, the difference between leading the line for Utd and Everton is massive. If going "home" and a new challenge and feeling more like the "big man" helps Rooney play better than he did for us then great. I always thought he was rubbish for us against Everton so hopefully he can reciprocate that and play well against everyone but us.

Ultimately he's not the player he was. Fergie said a few years ago that he'd lost that little burst of acceleration that took him past players and I think that's right. Players like Owen, Torres and Rooney who start so young tend to burn out young too. On a side note it will be interesting to see what Lukaku is like at 30. Suspect he may peak at 26.

However, even without that yard of pace, Rooney can still do a great job for them. Confidence will be a big factor and he's started well there in pre-season so we'll see. But to answer the question (again), I'd be happy if Rooney smashed it just enough that Everton finished second in the league!

Reactions: Penna

Djemba-Djemba

Poor tonight on his Everton re-debut I thought. Very similar level to his last few years at Utd.

I'd be absolutely amazed if he "smashed it". He's knackered.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Loved Rooney but so glad he's not our problem anymore.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Poor tonight on his Everton re-debut I thought. Very similar level to his last few years at Utd.

I'd be absolutely amazed if he "smashed it". He's knackered.
I think Rooney is a busted flush, but in his defence even in his pomp he was usually pretty shit in pre season.

Djemba-Djemba

I think Rooney is a busted flush, but in his defence even in his pomp he was usually pretty shit in pre season.
He was shit in pre season because he'd not look after himself properly and regularly come back fat and out of shape. Which is one of the reasons why he's a busted flush at the age of 31.

Not really sure that can be used as a defence for him.

Carl

He was shit in pre season because he'd not look after himself properly and regularly come back fat and out of shape. Which is one of the reasons why he's a busted flush at the age of 31.

Not really sure that can be used as a defence for him.
Of course it can, in so far as his performance in this pre season will give no indication as to how he will play in the coming season. Because that's always been the case.

Obviously we can use our judgement and say that he'll be shit based on the last 3 seasons of being shit.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Never going to happen, but I wouldn't mind at all.

Would make me question what the feck he has been doing at UTD the last 3-4 years though.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Amusing thing about this is how the author tries to excuse him being bad. Using excuses like lack of playing time last season. :rolleyes: He had little playing time last year because of displays like tonight's!

Last edited:

Rossa

Of course it can, in so far as his performance in this pre season will give no indication as to how he will play in the coming season. Because that's always been the case.

Obviously we can use our judgement and say that he'll be shit based on the last 3 seasons of being shit.
It's not a defense saying that he was shite because he came back unfit, which was often the case. The fact that he often took a month after the season started to get back into shape was always an issue, and that issue will not diminish with his age, unless he is somehow able to change his off season antics.

Djemba-Djemba

It's not a defense saying that he was shite because he came back unfit, which was often the case. The fact that he often took a month after the season started to get back into shape was always an issue, and that issue will not diminish with his age, unless he is somehow able to change his off season antics.
This is what I meant yeah.

Him being totally unprofessional every Summer isn't much of a defence is it?

Carl

Yeh, you seem to be spectacularly missing my point. The fact he was shit tonight isn't the proof he's shit, because he was often shit in pre season and then go on to have fantastic seasons. The proof he's shit is the fact he's been shit for 3 years now.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
He's dreadful and will do more harm to Everton's season than good.
Thank feck they were blinded by the "local hero" crap and actually went through with it. Sorry Everton, no returns. It's going to be a shit season for you.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Amusing thing about this is how the author tries to excuse him being bad. Using excuses like lack of playing time last season. :rolleyes: He had little playing time last year because of displays like tonight's!
He then wasted a great chance on the half hour mark, losing his footing inside the six-yard box after fine work from Calvert-Lewin.
All seems painfully familiar.

Rossa

Yeh, you seem to be spectacularly missing my point. The fact he was shit tonight isn't the proof he's shit, because he was often shit in pre season and then go on to have fantastic seasons. The proof he's shit is the fact he's been shit for 3 years now.
As everyone else points out, the fact that he was shit in pre-season is arguably the reason why he is shot at 31. It's been a long while since he had fantastic seasons, so saying he has a poor pre-season will most likely lead him to having a poor season is no overreaction. It's two rights being a right.

Sylar

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I bear him no ill will, so I'd be chuffed for him. If he suddenly becomes amazing again and scores 30 goals, then yeah, I'd question his recent dedication, but lets be honest, he's not going to do that. At best he'll get the same 12-15 he did in his last starting seasons for us.

But as United and England's top scorer, I'd rather he wound down his career semi-dignified and quasi romantically at his childhood club, than as a mockable marquee player in some poxy retirement league.

When all is said and done, and the admitted stink of his last couple seasons has dissipated, he'll be remembered as one of this country's greatest. Profile-wise a potential icon of his era. When revered foreign players of his ilk go to Qatar or China, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed, and I've no emotional connection to them. So I reckon most football fans would feel roughly the same about Rooney, whomever they support. It's like Tevez going back to Boca. Drogba going back to Chelsea. Torres going back to Atleti (kinda).. it's a good story if nothing else. I'd rather it worked out than didn't.

There was nothing sadder than seeing Gazza plugging it out further and further down the divisions. Going to China or Qatar, or even the MLS (which is at least an understandable life choice) may seem more optically dignified, but we all know it's essentially a posh version of the same thing. It's like the Stones taking a residency in Vegas, rather than continue to rock their ever loyal aging crowds at the 02 or Madison SG. Sure they're a novelty now, and look kinda pickled, but they've earned the right to still be playing fashionable festivals in ridiculous leather trousers. It's not the same, no, but it's better than seeing them opening Star Wars rides at Disneyland.

Last edited:

manutddjw

I'll forever be appreciative of what he's done for us and will always be a fan, but to be honest, if he does well for Everton I'll be pissed off.

We paid him well, made him captain and gave him every chance to be a key part of the squad. It shouldn't of took going back to his boyhood club to make him dedicate himself to football.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Absolutely delighted we managed to give him away to Everton, with them taking on all his wages.

I imagined some kind of sale in the region of £5-10m where we had to finance his absurd wages.

I find it weird that Everton decided to take him though, surely his commercial star must be fading now after 3-4 seaons of shit performances?

I see that there is some appeal in the whole boyhood fan who became a great player returning home etc, but that will only go so far when the shit performances starts piling up.

AshRK

I am glad we don't have to deal with Rooney drama anymore. For sure he still has got it but not for a top club. Actually he is lucky that a club like Everton called for his services as I didn't expect him to be playing for a top 10 side in the league.