How would you feel if Rooney smashed it at Everton?

Blind

He's just blocking the path for a lot of bright young talents at Everton, the likes of Davies, Calvert Lewin and Lookman would all make better use of Rooney's minutes.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He was shit in pre season because he'd not look after himself properly and regularly come back fat and out of shape. Which is one of the reasons why he's a busted flush at the age of 31.

Not really sure that can be used as a defence for him.
It's down to genetics mainly, not undisciplined summers.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
"I think Koeman is going to have the same problem of not knowing where to play him"

This idea that the manager isn't sure exactly where to play him has been lingering for 3 or 4 years now. Just to be absolutely clear, because he's had the privilege of playing everywhere, there's no "best" position. There's no ideal role where he will find his mojo and sort his shit out. He's just not very good anymore - in any position.

Absolutely agree with you. His parents had trouble keeping off the booze, eating well and kicking the fags too.

Djemba-Djemba

Nah I don't agree.

I think Rooney got away with his poor fitness by blaming his genetics for far too long. I'm sure it played a part but not as much as him eating shit and drinking too much did.

Genetics alone don't make elite footballers like Rooney used to be completely finished as a top level player by 29/30.

stevoc

Nah I don't agree.

I think Rooney got away with his poor fitness by blaming his genetics for far too long. I'm sure it played a part but not as much as him eating shit and drinking too much did.

Genetics alone don't make elite footballers like Rooney used to be completely finished as a top level player by 29/30.
Mourinho seems to think his genetics played a part. He said the other day that with Rooney's body and genetics he needs to be playing regularly to be at his best, which to be fair Ferguson always said similar.

No doubt bad lifestyle choices and playing so much from such a young age along with his genetics all contributed to his decline.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...jose-mourinho-emotional-goodbye-a7860561.html

Duafc

Village Lemon
This thread will get a lot of attention this oncoming season.
Funny that all the people that wanted Rooney gone the most, are the people that want to talk the most about him at Everton.

Was always just about the football though!

Ram1fy

I swear you people that hate Rooney are so obsessed with him. He's not even part of the club now let it go!
We need to do a Rooney vs Gerrard poll. I wouldn't bet against Gerrard winning

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
If anyone fancies doing a sweepstakes on when the first "We need a player like Rooney" thread appears, I'd be willing to put a score on December 2019. Just putting it out there.

Call me weird (I am) but there's a quasi-sadistic part of me that's really looking forward to winning Caf arguments in 2028, by quoting the last 18 months of angry Rooney posts at some VR addicted future tween, whose complaining about our £300m back up striker failing to live up to the unassailable standards set by the legendary Wayne Rooney.

spwd

Poor tonight on his Everton re-debut I thought. Very similar level to his last few years at Utd.

I'd be absolutely amazed if he "smashed it". He's knackered.
I put the game on earlier just as he received the ball and took a wild swing at it, he should have scored :lol:.

red_devil83

I'm just relieved it's not our problem any more! :D

I read their whole thread and they seem to have a similarly split lot of opinions already - similar to what you'd read on here over the last few years - about how he's going to turn out for them.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Any United fan would be happy for him, and I personally would regret letting him go. He was finished here, it was painfully obvious. If he smashes it at Everton I'd be surprised, but I think he'll be an important player for them

berbasloth4

To me he is a hero and a legend. Yes the fall outs where there but on the pitch he gave his all gave us alot more highs than lows..

may sound silly but watching the everton game earlier I still found myself supporting him.. I want him to do well like 99% of players who leave us..

love him or hate him he goes down as one of our greatest players ever.

spwd

That thread is like Dave ja vue, one of many but this made me lol.

"
Hold up play was awful, lazy, poor first touch, n silly diagonal passes!!

:lol:

automaticflare

He has not had a position since about 5 years ago.

Always had a bad touch. now He lost his pace and aggression he cannot make up for that and roams around looking for as much space as possible on the pitch before looking for the ball.

People who have ever think he can play in midfield including English media feckwits are deluded. He will go to Everton, play up front, but because he is no threat behind any more will drop deep and hit some long range passes under no pressure and their attack will lose its focal point like they had with lukaku last year. Yet some fans will wank themselves silly over the odd long range 60 yarder to the right full. Notice how he can never to it to the left full. No technique.

BTW lukaku got a lot of complaints from Everton fans for not working but by him staying up top all the time seemingly being lazy he gave them a focal point to start every counter attack, kept the ball and allowed everyone else to bomb up the pitch. That is gone now with rooney up top so watch them struggle this season.

He has been a player who is on decline for long time now yet the media and some fans seem to want to give him a free ride. My prediction is his homecoming to Everton ends in tears. Fans will hate him because manager will be afraid to drop him from the starting 11.

I'm glad we got his best years. As a kid he was exactly what I loved. A bullish no frills striker. And he was brilliant to watch. His debut was unbelievable. But he has not been half that player I saw against Fenerbache for about 5 years now.

Reactions: SteveJ

Robbie Boy

He was fecking atrocious last night but the commentators were trying to insinuate otherwise.

Woodzy

I love the one comment that said "Can only get better"...

These Everton fans are in for a long season in regards to Wayne Rooney.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Runs his socks
Arguing with the ref (hasn't seen a player doing that for a long time)
Preseason rustiness, give him proper 10 games
Classic diagonal pass which the rb didn't anticipate

(from everton forum)

Rinse and repeat

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

I don't think there's much chance of him smashing it unless it's out of the ground so I wouldn't worry too much.

SoCross

I hope he does to be honest. Want anyone connected to United to do well.

Dobbs

Physically he's gone but he'll also have to deal with not competing for a trophy. Difficult for a guy whose spent his whole career at the very top.

Come mid season how will he deal with there not being much emphasis or point to the games.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Physically he's gone but he'll also have to deal with not competing for a trophy. Difficult for a guy whose spent his whole career at the very top.

Come mid season how will he deal with there not being much emphasis or point to the games.
Huh? I'd say he's been well schooled in that with us for the last few years.

Besides, he won't even be in the side by then. I expect this will be the year his media friends will have to stop making excuses for him although no doubt the hyperbole about his enduring class will surface every time he scores a goal/pings a diagonal ball out to Baines on the wing.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool

Last 4 seasons, working backwards, 6th, 5th, 4th, 7th!

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He has become the Ian Baker Finch of the PL. It's getting a bit embarrassing at this stage. He should just retire.

Alabaster Codify7

The well of excuses will finally be plumbed dry this season regarding Rooney and his defenders/mates in the media.

"He's being played out of position".

"United aren't playing him into form, he needs gametime..."

These excuses won't wash this season. He'll get plenty of time in his preferred position and will stink Goodison out. Finally, pundits will have to admit that he's simply done as a top-level footballer.

iHicksy

I actually kinda want him to play well. But after viewing last nights performance I think it's safe to say that the move to Everton isn't suddenly going to revitalize him. It just confirms what we've known for seasons now, that the Rooney of old is gone, and all they have is an old Rooney.
The sad thing is you can see he's trying hard, maybe too much so, to get into position and run around. He looks like he's desperate to get the ball, then when he has it his desperation to prove himself causes him to make these horrible mistakes.

I watched the entire 90minutes last night just to see how he was playing against championship level opposition and he still cannot perform the basic tasks required from a footballer, let alone one at this level. I wonder how long it will take RK to realise that this IS the real Rooney now. I imagine somewhere toward the tail end of the seasons when he realises he isn't playing himself into form that he'll be shifted over to the left or right side of attack after unsuccessful stints at 9 and 10 before eventually being benched. At which time the media may finally realise that he's no longer the golden boy they seem insistent on making him out to be.

One of the clueless pundits at half time described his performance as Kante-like. They seem to completely ignore all of his mistakes and concentrate on the fact that he tried to run around a lot. It should perhaps come as no surprise since we've heard the same rhetoric at half time from a dozen pundits over the last few years, despite what lay before their eyes.