How would you rate United's 19/20 Season?

dove

Despite having a hard time scoring goals, the only attacking player we signed was a largely unproven James. I consider myself an optimist and I still thought that top 4 would be a good achievement. The idea of getting 3rd was absurd to me. When Pogba got injured early on, I was convinced that top 4 was impossible.

Ole deserves a lot of credit, imo.
I rate season from start to finish. We finished it strongly and Ole deserves a lot of credit but let's not forget how useless we were for half of it. It's encouraging end of season which makes me want to believe we can build on it next year but I wouldn't call it a good season. It's basically a "minimum targets achieved, let's do better next year" kind of season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I want to say that its been an excellent season because the good far outweigh the bad, but its not the right word to use for a season when United don't win a trophy. I think a better way to look at it is it being a positive chapter in the rebuild of this team.

The dynamic of the squad is night and day compared to what it has been over the last few seasons. There is real promise here and a lot to be excited about for next season.

Crustanoid

I rate season from start to finish. We finished it strongly and Ole deserves a lot of credit but let's not forget how useless we were for half of it. It's encouraging end of season which makes me want to believe we can build on it next year but I wouldn't call it a good season. It's basically a "minimum targets achieved, let's do better next year" kind of season.
The lack of depth following injuries to key players for a few months and the Board’s inadequacy over not signing Bruno in Summer or adding enough quality to the squad are the key reasons for how the season panned out. Ole did well despite this. Any disappointment with our showing this season is all down to Ed and the Glazers

Fosu-Mens

Predictable bad first half of the season.
Bought an intelligent attacking player to paper over the lack of active coaching in how to attack, create chances and style of play (Obvious lack of quality from the previous options as well, but the players are not coached on how to attack as a team. )
Predictable downturn in form due to fatigue and lack of rotation, partly due to lack of quality and lack of rotation.

Players seem happy and the culture and mentality within the squad seems to be very good, but we are still miles behind the top team when it comes to how to pass, press and attack as a unit rather than 10 individuals. And we also lack 6/7 players of some quality to have a squad able to compete over a season.

OGS man management and creating a good mentality within the squad is top-notch, but the rest is less than impressive.

SAFMUTD

Bang average, we made slim progress considering the amount we spent. I dont think we are a much better team than we were a year ago.

James Peril

Pretty bad, but helped by corona, the signing of Bruno and a ridiculously low (top) level in the Premier League. Let’s not kid ourselves, if we end 5th the pitchforks would be out and people would drop words like development, progress and other lazy characteristics. Arsenal utterly gone, Tottenham done for, Chelsea inexperienced and without signings, OGS is a very lucky boy the competition scored so lowly. Would be very fun to win a title, as it builds so much positive energy - but we messed up when in mattered the most.

We have a very good side full of top players, we aren’t seeing how good they can be together and the transfer window last summer was a shambles. Only signing James as an attacking reinforcement meant the season was always going to be over before it started so to speak, bailed out by the emergence of Greenwood. First point conveniently skipped by the OGS-herd.

6 out of 10, would have been a 7 with a trophy in the bag. Ups and downs, actually a huge down before a big up (mostly because we were all so desperate), then ending with a sour feeling. Shame, would have loved to beat Internazionale in the final and seeing Lukaku’s face afterwards. Now I of course dread him lifting the cup - Sanchez and Young I don’t mind, they’re good guys.. just not as footballers for United.

Cpt Negative

Bang average, we made slim progress considering the amount we spent. I dont think we are a much better team than we were a year ago.
Slim progress?

Third and Semi finals in every competition we entered.

let alone shifted out Lukaku, Young, Smalling, Sanchez, players like Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Perreragetting no where near the first team after Christmas, pogba unfit for 3/4 of the season in which we played all of the biggest games.

I don’t think it’s been a great season, but it’s much better than slim progress

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Relative to my personaly expectations ahead of the season it was pretty good. I did not expect us to get top 4. I did not expect good football and I didn't expect much contention for trophies. Maybe a go at one but not all 3 cups like we did.

Hopefully the disappointment of being close to 3 finals will drive the players on for next season. Seems like we've put a a bit of a scare back into some teams facing us when a year ago teams were playing us intent on winning.

Overall a pretty good season and encouraging that I'm lamenting us not finishing the host of chances we created rather than losing without doing anything.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
7/10. 3rd place and 3 semi finals, but should've gone through in at least 1 (this one really). Need to push on next season, need signings in the summer and its imperative to take a jump as now is the time to do it. Basically if we sit right now it'll be effectively going backwards.

SAFMUTD

Slim progress?

Third and Semi finals in every competition we entered.

let alone shifted out Lukaku, Young, Smalling, Sanchez, players like Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Perreragetting no where near the first team after Christmas, pogba unfit for 3/4 of the season in which we played all of the biggest games.

I don’t think it’s been a great season, but it’s much better than slim progress
If you read carefully I said slim progress considering the amount we spent. We spent 210M on new players and recoup 70M from Lukaku, so a 140M net spend in case your into that. We end up third but points wise we end up with the same points as last season when we end up 6th.

We got to the semifinals in the Europa League but lets be honest, we face poor poor oposition. Or do you think we should count beating Brugge, LASK and Kopenhavn as an achievement? as soon as we faced a serious team we got kicked out.

Betson

Some signs of progress , but a lot of work to do.

We are one of if not the biggest club in the world and finished over 30 pts off the the top of the table , trophy-less, and beaten in 3 semi finals. That should never be good enough for a club like Utd , but our squad needs big investment for further progress.

In his first season we get to three semi finals, best City and Chelsea 3 times a piece, come third in the league, the best point record from Xmas onwards, youngest team in the league, most youth products played in a single season for decades, player improvements across the board, new recruitment ethos for singing some of the best youth players on the planet and most of the deadwood ‘nearly’ cleared out.

All things considered, it’s been a remarkable and fantastic season. With a few key players brought we’ll be back in businesses. The future is bright, the future is Olé!
Agreed with this comment. Even tonight I’m not too bitter about the loss. Compare this to two seasons ago against Sevilla in the last 16 CL. They dominated us back then and deserved to win after a cowardly performance from us.

Tonight we played football and went to win the game. That shows how far the club has come from the dark days of Jose’s “heritage” rant.

Robbie Boy

I think there have been some encouraging signs but on the flipside of that, I think at times Ole has been given OTT praise on here by some just because things weren't as bad as Jose's final months. James was a very poor signing, AWB and Maguire were decent additions and Bruno was a brilliant signing.

I feel we played some good stuff at times but our style of play isn't progressive and we look miles off better coached teams. I genuinely don't believe Ole is going to take us to any great heights but he's done a good job at fixing the mess left behind by Jose. I'm not sure he's good enough to do much more than that but he just about deserves a chance to see what he can do next season. I feel there's a-lot of 'false positivity' and a-bit of 'spin' by a certain faction on here regarding Ole and they would have you believe he's doing a far better job than he is by being selective with their stats.

On balance I would give the season a 5 overall. It's been nowhere near as good as some like to make out. Next season is going to be really tough unless Ole makes some improvements to his management style and we sign some better players.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Really good considering where we were building from. We have a great first XI a positive manger and are much better off than 2 years ago. 7.5/10

MattofManchester

3/10.

This is fecking Manchester United. Not Wolves or Arsenal.
Champions League qualification should be expected, not celebrated.

A horrendous season till Bruno showed up, and there's still too many doubts about too many things for me to see next season as mostly positive.

I'm just going into it with an open mind. I'd be as little surprised if we were relegated as if we were champions. There's really no understanding of where this club is at the moment.

AFC NimbleThumb

The state of some in this thread; we’re becoming Arsenal. “3 semi’s waheey”.

2 teams domestically are so far in advance of the others, you can’t really compare them but look at the dross that was a Leicester for half a season; Chelsea who we beat 3 out of 4 times, Spurs who sacked their best manager in decades & Arsenal who are. . . Arsenal.

As piss poor as our squad can be, finishing best of the rest against the other 18 teams in the league is barely credible - our points tally was embarrassing up until Bruno came in & was superhuman for a few months.

We’ve progressed from poor to average.

*infact Arsenal actually won something :houllier:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I can see @horsechoker next thread will be something about Ole and semis.

But some good points mentioned above. A 3rd and 3 semis are more than decent. Then we have our young guns start shooting targets also. Getting rids of "deadwoods" and targeting players with looking for future.

I'm pretty satisfied with the progress. One rating can't really capture our season. Instead of trying to average out all drawback and improvements into one value, I think separating the current and forward looking ratings is more appropriate.

My rating is 6.5/10 in terms of season achievement. And 8/10 for future/forward/optimistic level.

Last edited:

Wayne's World

Considering our hated rivals won the league and we weren't close to challenging for it then it would be a 3/10

If Bruno didn't arrive then without any hesitation it would be 0/10.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Decent I guess. Clear progress made in the squad (mostly by getting rid of deadwood), as well as in playing philosophy. But obviously 3rd and no trophies can't be the new standard, it must be the springboard to improve things all round. Unlike other seasons which are clearly good/bad, this one will look different in hindsight depending on what we do in the next couple years.

oz insomniac

Decent , although like most we expect the team to be more competitive with the top end of town.

Pressure is now on Woodward and the Glazers to back Ole with signings to start to bridge the gap. They need to act like the horrid private owners at Chelski and Citeh and decide whether they are football interested owners or just investors looking at the value of the club. This is a critical window and excuses re COVID etc may be acceptable for the Woody fans, but really another opportunity wasted under his guidance.

Machine Elements

4/10. And that's only because we got Champions League football.

We're incredibly lucky that all of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc. had their worst season in god knows how many years. City, Everton and maybe even Wolves etc. were worse than last year too. Also Leicester were abysmal after the restart so that's basically how we got 3rd instead of 7th or 8th with the lowest points total since Moyes (we're only 2 points better than Moyes' team).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We were inches away from a disasterous season. Getting top 4 on the last day and turning up for a third of our PL games doesnt take away from what was such a crap season. Up until Bruno signing, it was on par with 18/19. No idea why people seem to think losing a semi final is an achievement. I'd understand if it was a final.

I'd say it was a 5.5/10 mainly because Bruno, Martial and Greenwood look like absolute stars.

Tribec

We have moved on from where we were, we are closer now to being in a position to challenge to win things rather than just making up the numbers as we had been. There is a huge expectation for United to challenge and win things, mainly down to the period of success under Sir Alex, but we have no right to expect that year in year out, so be looking where we are now is encouraging that we are building towards being back in that position.

We went on the best run of form the club has seen since the days of SAF, and played some of the best football we've seen from a United team since then. However, we fell into a style of play through injuries to players, and whilst we ran with that we also ended up due to the unusual situation we ended this season cost us. We'd ran the team into the ground prior to the semi final against Chelsea, those that came in that day were lacking match sharpness and so we eeked out the results at the very end of the season, the game last night was were the luck ran out shall we say and we suffered a defeat in the way we have defeated so many in the past. With the right additions, to add to the squad and better squad rotation we should be in an even better position than we are now. I doubt we'll be 33 points behind who ever wins the league next year, I'd say it will probably be between 10 to 20 points behind, single figures would be a bonus.

6 or 7/ 10 for me.

Web of Bissaka

5.5/10

2.5/10 if Bruno didn't happen.

Meh season -- win shit nothing, only bragging rights of many meaningless stats and 3rd place trophy. Season of individuals just like how our whole system of football is.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It was okay. Very disappointing that we didn't win anything though... finishing 3rd because Leicester had a quite monumental collapse and Chelsea have a plastic bag as their goalkeeper shouldn't really be something to celebrate too wildly.

We did well to get it from where we were, but where we were was a big part of our season, so yeah... okay overall with signs of encouragements now, but a lot of disappointments along the way, and at the end.

Siorac

If we only look at the end results, it's been a mediocre season. 3rd in the league with a very low points total, zero trophies with a frustrating exit from the Europa League and a completely awful performance in the FA Cup semi-final. Long periods of looking utterly clueless in attack.

However, we should acknowledge that once we got Bruno and got Pogba back from his long-term injury, the team has improved significantly, played some nice football, and clawed back a huge deficit to finish 3rd. These are all encouraging things. I'm still a bit concerned that too often we look like the only way we can score is either from a counter-attack or a penalty; Ole's in-game management is sub par, and we rely a bit too heavily on individual moments of magic to bail us out instead of having a reliable system of playing.

To further improve from here, we'd need either a big summer which is unlikely due to COVID-19 or significantly better coaching that could elevate the team to be more than the sum of its parts. I'm not sure how likely that is.

Jonno

A decent season.

Clear progress has been made not only in the quality of the squad but in our competition results. Semi finals and 3rd place is progress.

The Ole-project is half finished, and the results reflect that. I expect us to bring 2+ players this summer to improve the side. 3rd place and cup semi finals is OK for this season,but if it stagnates and we move sideways this time next season I expect us to change manager.