How would you rate United's 19/20 Season?

Untd55

It's a tough one as there are some big question marks. We had a great string of results in the second half of the season, but tailed off at the end.

I think Fernandes's form tailed off. Will he be able to regain his initial form or was that unsustainable?

Our defence looks shaky when they are not shielded by the midfield. Quite a few mistakes from them towards the end. Will they be able to cut this out?

Rashford's form became pretty bad. Was his earlier form in the season only a purple patch or can he replicate it?

Three semi-finals and failed to reach the final everytime. A mental problem or managerial? Will this be an issue in future seasons?

I think there are a few concerning signs myself. We got in the Champions League, which is great, but benefited massively from a weakened league.

I would say it was alright at best with the positive of Champions League football next season. It was certainly not a good season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
You can’t deny those last 6 months have been a major major improvement.

Sanchez7

6/10. Decent. A lot of dead wood cleared, very good young attackers who have all had their best seasons yet. If we can have a good transfer window, I think we can easily become a consistent top 3 team with ambitions for the title. Ole has to go in to the next season better prepared than the current one, we were severly short of attacking options going into this season and it is only Bruno's signing in January that slavaged it.

Shark

@NotShark
6/10 in the end despite the unlikely 3rd placed finish on goal difference. Could have easily finished 5th and went out tonight, Ole is a lucky man that everyone around him capitulated.

JG3001

I agree with 6/10, got a lot of work to do in this late transfer window. Otherwise we’re getting humiliated in the CL.

E-mal

6/10
Some progress, some genuine weakness.
Some signings good, others mare.
What's glaring though is the lack of depth.
Our bench could all be gone and I won't be bothered.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
7/10
Not being generous though. A 7.5 would have seen us reaching one final at least

Squad needs investment, no doubt

OleBoiii

Best season post Fergie. Based on my expectations in august last year, I'd also say it went way better than expected.

We need more quality players, though. Our bench is shite and I reckon there are 2-3 players in our starting XI that maybe shouldn't be there(for different reasons).

Skåre Willoch

7/10.

Positives:
Champions League is back.
Some really good players emerging/developing.
Positive football since January.
Deep runs in all cups.
Some good acquisitions, one great.
Mason Greenwood.
Proper optimism for the future. I think we’re finally starting to build something good and lasting, for the first time since SAF.

Negatives:
No depth. A lot of work still to do squad wise.
Have to find ways to turn our luck in semi finals.
No trophies is simply not good enough.
De Gea.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Things are obviously getting better but I don't have much faith that we'll be positive enough in the transfer market to consolidate.

jesperjaap

Considering where we were last season and the beginning of this one, its been a very good season. Who wouldnt have settled for 3rd and a Europa League semi at the start of the season? I know thats not what we should be aiming for, but lets not fool ourselves how poor we have been for a few years, its been a good season.
We have had one before though under Mourinho and look what happened the following season. For me its how we progress next year that is vital and though its a good season, lets face it we have a bloated squad and a lack of quality within it.
The first eleven is only 2/3 players away and we may do that this summer.....but the squad is at least a further 6/7 players away. A few of those spots hopefully can be taken next year from the likes of Mengi, Laird, maybe even Mjebri but really we need 4-6 signings still abd even more importantly, we need 7-10 players out, neither of which will happen sadly

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
You did well after an awful start.

The fans I meet are starting to take a pride in the team again for the first time in a while with decent young academy players being given a chance and largely doing good.
A step up is needed next season just to stand still though as the London clubs will improve and City and Liverpool aren't going anywhere.

AJ Bullet

6/10

Bare minimum achieved of CL football next season by the skin of our teeth and one decent signing in Bruno saved our season, a LOT of work still needs doing to be challenging for anything significant though and this team has a mental block when the pressure is ramped up.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Real tale of 2 halves and hard to judge given the disruption.

3rd and 3 semi finals is probably a generous representation of where this squad as a whole is, and sadly the top end of what I expect Ole is capable of achieving.

Not an Ole out post by the way, I see him as a transitional manager who gets the club and is doing top work at refreshing the squad/ethos. Don't think he's got the tactical nous or killer instinct to bring in big trophies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
4th was minimal, 3rd is good if you'll factor the squad lacking in quality, depth and character.

We'll see now if Champions League will be a magnet for us to upgrade.

RedNed77

Decent. Finished 3rd, the cups have been encouraging yet disappointing. Even if we don’t sign anybody I’d still be confident next season will be better. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt that way.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
7-7.5/10

Think people wanted CL qualification at the end of the day. No one cared about how far we went in other competitions, and we achieved that.

We fielded a really young team, and despite that we finished 3rd and beat some top teams, so there's a lot to look forward to

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I'd probably say 6/10 if I wasn't so pissed off right now. Finishing third in the league is decent but then it's not like the other teams around us were any good. Chelsea had a new inexperienced manager with a transfer ban, Arsenal were Arsenaling and Spurs brought in Mourinho. Going trophyless again is never good.

We did however play some great football for the first time in years, which shouldn't be underestimated and our signings haven't been too bad, if overpriced. We've also got a young team which should make me look forward to next season. Problem is I don't have much faith in Solskjaer to properly coach and nurture that talent so I don't see us improving that much from where we are.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
From an outside perspective, 6.5-7/10.

Huge progress from where you were last year, in terms of results, approach to the game, and young players coming through. Still held back by a lack of squad depth and at times questionable decision-making by Ole, in my opinion. Not that he needs to be fired, but he needs to improve along with the squad if you're to challenge seriously for big trophies. That said, he deserves credit for helping to nurture the younger generation and for securing top 4.

Lentwood

3rd place. 3 semi-finals.

I’d say a solid 8/10. Trophy would have made it 9/10

It will be difficult to top this next season without further investment in the squad though. We can’t be bringing on Mata, James and TFM to change a semi-final

dove

How is finishing 3rd with the team we started out with in august 2019 considered "bare minimum"? Madness...
TOP 4 was our aim for the season and we did exactly that, nothing more.

Tel074

Excellent from the position we were in a year ago . Really disappointed not to win a trophy and really frustrating at times but after tonight especially we can all see we need strength in our squad . We have nothing at all from the bench .
I'm looking forward to when we can get back into OT because I'm excited to be a United fan again

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It depends on which standard to use. Post SAF standard, it's encouraging. United as top team in the world standard? hmm... Still light years behind.

OleBoiii

TOP 4 was our aim for the season and we did exactly that, nothing more.
Despite having a hard time scoring goals, the only attacking player we signed was a largely unproven James. I consider myself an optimist and I still thought that top 4 would be a good achievement. The idea of getting 3rd was absurd to me. When Pogba got injured early on, I was convinced that top 4 was impossible.

Ole deserves a lot of credit, imo.

Well, when the season started I didn't think we'd get third in the league and reach three semi-finals. So in that respect it's above what I thought realistic.

However, it isn't great by United standards. That said, we have improved a lot this season, and, with a good summer transfer window, we could be a good side. I feel we're on the cusp of turning things around. This is a process, not an overnight fix for Ole. This summer's transfers are key.

6/10

dev1l

Beyond expectations. We re not there yet but we re in a better position than a year ago
Rome was not built in a day and time is needed to fix years of mismanagement.
Another encouraging aspect is the low average age of the team. One expects that most of these players will improve next season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
In his first season we get to three semi finals, best City and Chelsea 3 times a piece, come third in the league, the best point record from Xmas onwards, youngest team in the league, most youth products played in a single season for decades, player improvements across the board, new recruitment ethos for singing some of the best youth players on the planet and most of the deadwood ‘nearly’ cleared out.

All things considered, it’s been a remarkable and fantastic season. With a few key players brought we’ll be back in businesses. The future is bright, the future is Olé!
Hard to see it that way given the Premier League Champions. I admire your optimism though.

maximus419

A good spell of form after a very mediocre run leading up to December. Bruno signing was inspirational and I think without him utd wouldn't have finished top 4 let alone reach semis.

Main concern is can they rely on this side to maintain or improve this going into next season. Signs are there that this is a team that is inconsistent and that is hard to build upon. I still fear this is a false dawn and unless they really build up the quality in the squad, utd could we'll find themselves struggling for top 4 again next season.