Howe would Eddie do at United?

Lee565

I think people don't realise how howe hardly has an embarrassment of riches in terms of his squad depth, did you not see his subs bench compared to ours yesterday, we had about 300 million pounds worth of talent on the bench and howe had about 50-70 million and that might be generous.

He has inherited dross like almiron, longstaff and joelinton and turned them into twice the players they were, has ten hag been able to do that with any of our midfielders and attackers, hell he can't even get a tune out of the big money midfielders and attackers he was granted?

Dannn411

You can't say that with absolute certainty at all, both circumstances are very different.`

Does Howe really have much say in who the club signs? Does he have proper guidance from above? Is he forced to keep players he clearly doesn't want? Does he have clarity over where the club is heading? etc.

They're also basically in the same position we are in the CL, are just 2 points ahead of us in the PL, and were well beaten by us when the heat was on in League Cup last season.

I think most people also expected him to be rubbish at Newcastle, which is a good base to start from when you're a capable manager, where as Ten Hag was expected to be a top class manager and have us playing great football straight away, which he clearly hasn't been able to do, so he's now some terrible manager for some.

I'd wager that Howe would have been overwhelmed by the United job very quickly.
My responses would be:

1. Who are the players Ten Hag is being forced to keep/play that he doesn't want to keep/play? That is news to me.

2. While I appreciate that clarity about the club's future and guidance from above is nice to have, those are not at all required for a good manager to show that he is good. Good managers perform inspite of circumstances. They are the ultimate security blanket. If you're a good manager you get the best out of what you have no matter what. Simple as. And Howe has done more with what he has been given than Ten Hag has.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think he’s a great coach, wanted him here before Jose and again before Ole. Maybe that would’ve been too soon for him, but my point is I definitely rate him as a coach - he took Bournemouth from league 2 to the premier league.

I think he’d do well here but the same with any manager we appoint - only with time. Can you see rashford or martial charging down players the way Newcastle’s were last night? There isn’t a boss in world football who thinks jogging around like that is acceptable or enough to win games, but they need the time to get their own players in. Ten Hag isn’t an idiot, he knows martial is shit - he just needs time to feck him off.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Problems the overall club structure not the manager.

Newcastle have Saudi owners that will bin under performers.

We are a retirement home and hand out big contracts for shit performances.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They’ve been on a similar level to us but he is perceived better because less has been expected of Newcastle up until this point. The fact that they’re having a great season and ours is abysmal and yet we’re 2 pts apart says it all really.

Ludens the Red

He wouldn’t be my first choice to replace Ten Hag but he’s a better coach who has a far better understanding of the Premier League and what is required and produces far better attacking football then Ten Hag can and has. The statistics are there to show that.

It’s obviously helped him massively having the money to bring in the players he has but what’s been impressive is the players he’s improved.
Longstaff, Almiron, Joelinton, Schaar, Murphy. Honestly look at those names. What on earth are they doing playing in the CL and holding their own. Outplaying some huge hitters at home in most weeks.
Their football isn’t sexy but it’s high tempo, aggressive, clinical and direct. All things we lack massively. He can’t really have them playing any other way because technically they’re bang average. But he’s done an amazing job there to be fair. I thought he was very good at Bournemouth at first but the last few years there he was a bit naive and made some terrible signings. But he’s proved himself again.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Jesus Christ this place is depressing. Every time we get beat by a manager there’s a new thread on him :lol: .Like I said yesterday if we had Eddie Howe yesterday and they had ETH them the result is probably the same.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He would likely make more sensible transfers, and actually make us harder to beat. He would get push back on his system and signings, then get sacked and replaced by another 'progressive possesion based manager' and the cycle would continue.

Dec9003

Jesus Christ this place is depressing. Every time we get beat by a manager there’s a new thread on him :lol: .Like I said yesterday if we had Eddie Howe yesterday and they had ETH them the result is probably the same.
Probably, then in a year or two Ten Hag's nepotism signings would take Newcastle down to the level we are at now.

Chairman Steve

He‘d be very underwhelming under our current working state, with our passive ownership and their yes men who do their bidding.

He‘s a king at Newcastle at the moment because of how downtrodden they were under Ashley, but there will come a time when he hits that glass ceiling and Saudi will dump him for a more prestigious managerial name. He ain’t that good.

DJ_21

Probably, then in a year or two Ten Hag's nepotism signings would take Newcastle down to the level we are at now.
Ye but to be fair it isn’t all his signings. We still have players like Rashford and Martial who give 0% every game. We have a midfield that isn’t even as good as Newcastle’s. They have wingers who are better than ours. We can’t sell players so we’re constantly playing the same players year in year out. ETH wanted Mctominay and Maguire sold last transfer window but the club couldn’t do it. Once we have a better structure it may work.

Dec9003

Ye but to be fair it isn’t all his signings. We still have players like Rashford and Martial who give 0% every game. We have a midfield that isn’t even as good as Newcastle’s. They have wingers who are better than ours. We can’t sell players so we’re constantly playing the same players year in year out. ETH wanted Mctominay and Maguire sold last transfer window but the club couldn’t do it. Once we have a better structure it may work.
If we'd have sold Maguire we'd be even worse. He has spent hundreds of millions, we can't complain about Rashford and how he gives 0% when Antony is on the bench, if he signed better wingers than he has we'd have better ones. We have signed multiple midfielders for him, if our midfield isn't as good as Newcastles then he has to take some blame for that. A better structure should hopefully want their own manager, a better one.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's shown himself to be a good manager but could he transform United into a top 4 team?

He doesn't seem to be any worse a manager than someone like De Zerbi.
People give far too much credit to Howe and far too little credit to the sporting structure that's come in post Saudi takeover there. They've bought excellently and sharply, and far less extravagantly than people thought they would when first taking over. Howe is a solid manager. I don't think he'd move the needle here as Newcastles greatest attributes these past two years have been their athleticism and work rate off the ball, both which we lack in spades.

DJ_21

If we'd have sold Maguire we'd be even worse. He has spent hundreds of millions, we can't complain about Rashford and how he gives 0% when Antony is on the bench, if he signed better wingers than he has we'd have better ones. We have signed multiple midfielders for him, if our midfield isn't as good as Newcastles then he has to take some blame for that. A better structure should hopefully want their own manager, a better one.
No matter who we buy Rashford starts instantly! It’s like a clause in every managers contract that says Rashford can not be sold and you have to build around him. Halve of our midfielders are injured. Casemiro out, Eriksen out, 2 of our better passers. We have wide men that are greedy. And don’t supply the passes when they should like the rest of the top teams, they have unselfish players. We have players that play for them self. We have a squad that does whatever they want and doesn’t listen to the managers instructions and this is clear when ETH was Arguing with Martial during yesterdays game.

DJ_21

We've bought shite, that's why
Still doesn’t explain what I was saying. We could buy mbappe and I guarantee Rashford still starts they’ll just put him on the right just like we’re doing now because Garnacho is in form

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Still doesn’t explain what I was saying. We could buy mbappe and I guarantee Rashford still starts they’ll just put him on the right just like we’re doing now because Garnacho is in form
We have few good options on the right, I'm still hoping Amad can be the one. What's more is we are still light up top, all the places Rashford can do a job.

This is why he starts, he doesn't get injured much and we have huge holes in the squad.

Josep Dowling

Why would Eddie Howe be an option for us? He’s at a club on the up with bottomless pits of money. We have the worse owners of any super club in Europe, crippled with debt and still on the slide.

Some fans needs to wake up to our current position.

GazTheLegend

How much did he spend on Almiron, Joelinton, Wilson, Schar, Longstaff, and Wilock. Asking for a friend?
Ok he didn't sign them but I'll bite:
Joelinton: £40Million.
Callum Wilson: £20Million.
Almiron: £20Million.
Willock: £25Million.
Longstaff free, Schar £3Million

I'm not saying they're all galactico's but they weren't all 'free' were they? Someone thought Joelinton was worth £40M at some point, he's starting to play like he's worth that money now. I wouldn't be surprised if their starting 11 didn't cost more than ours overall given we had academy players like Rashford, Mainoo and McTominay starting, but I can't be bothered to check so knock yourself out if you want. Not saying that we haven't spent money on some overpriced shit at Man Utd, and we have signed some absolutely embarassing duds, but Newcastle are punching at about the weight that I expect £500million worth of footballer should be punching.

NLunited

Kudos for the threat title. Howe is a good coach but MU is a black hole.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Ok he didn't sign them but I'll bite:
Joelinton: £40Million.
Callum Wilson: £20Million.
Almiron: £20Million.
Willock: £25Million.
Longstaff free, Schar £3Million

I'm not saying they're all galactico's but they weren't all 'free' were they? Someone thought Joelinton was worth £40M at some point, he's starting to play like he's worth that money now. I wouldn't be surprised if their starting 11 didn't cost more than ours overall given we had academy players like Rashford, Mainoo and McTominay starting, but I can't be bothered to check so knock yourself out if you want. Not saying that we haven't spent money on some overpriced shit at Man Utd, and we have signed some absolutely embarassing duds, but Newcastle are punching at about the weight that I expect £500million worth of footballer should be punching.
My point is those players were fighting relegation before Howenot considered world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. Joelinton and Almiron were widely seen as not good enough.

So no their improvement can not just be reduced to spending money. Coaching matters.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
My point is those players were fighting relegation before Howenot considered world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. Joelinton and Almiron were widely seen as not good enough.

So no their improvement can not just be reduced to spending money. Coaching matters.
Almiron is equivelant to Antony which highlights how much we overpaid for him.

Wilson is definitely worth 20m. He's a decent striker who had been scoring in a worse team than Newcastle.

Joelinton is a flop in a sense in that he was purchased for 40m to score goals but he's not a good striker. He's a good footballer because he's got the head for the game and can handle a ball. Kudos to Howe for the midfield transformation.

Schar is a decent player. He's benefitted from the change in which football is played. Basically a CDM playing as a CD which is bad news when you play rigid, defenders are supposed to defend etc. There's also the element of being Swiss and playing in clubs that we don't seem to be looking at. A bargain for them and another highlight of poor purchasing "strategy" at United. Any one us could have done a similar job playing Football Manager as real life but none of us could have done the job at Newcastle.

Our biggest problem is still the midfield. EtH talks about being the best transition team but we don't play players who are capable of that. I wonder if Mount had been fit the whole season if we wouldn't have looked a lot better because he can at least play football.

Trim90

It's a different job managing us.

To succeed at Man United, you need to be a manager capable of turning us into one of the top 5 in the world, like Klopp has done at Liverpool, pep at city, Arteta at Arsenal.

Newcastle can get by for now with good effort and top 4 challenges. That's not enough here, and because that's not enough, it's hard to bring the motivation when your ceiling as a manager in this league is only to be a top 4 competitor. It's a tough fecking league, unfortunately for EtH. You aren't in a league where your resources and player quality are vastly superior to others.
Start with benching underperforming players like Rashford and Bruno. Players who have one 8/10 performance and another five 2/10 performances. Rashford, Bruno, Maguire, Mctominay, Dalot, Martial, Lindelof have all shown that they are NOT good enough and have survived more than one trainer.

Yes our management is rotten to the core and the Glazers have to go, however the first XI is mediocre at best. All players mentioned above have been destroyed multiple times by decent opposition and all players mentioned above have been here long enough to show us that they are not consistent nor good enough. We NEED to get rid of all of them. Promote some youth, stick to Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo and literally delete the rest of the squad. Rather finish in the bottom half with players who can at least pass a ball and fight for 50/50 than our so called first XI. The rot has set and has been poisening the whole team for a decade now. This will not change with another manager.

Anyone thinking we have top players is just kidding themselves and Rashford is one of the most overhyped players I have ever witnessed.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Wilson is definitely worth 20m. He's a decent striker who had been scoring in a worse team than Newcastle.

Joelinton is a flop in a sense in that he was purchased for 40m to score goals but he's not a good striker. He's a good footballer because he's got the head for the game and can handle a ball. Kudos to Howe for the midfield transformation.

Schar is a decent player. He's benefitted from the change in which football is played. Basically a CDM playing as a CD which is bad news when you play rigid, defenders are supposed to defend etc. There's also the element of being Swiss and playing in clubs that we don't seem to be looking at. A bargain for them and another highlight of poor purchasing "strategy" at United. Any one us could have done a similar job playing Football Manager as real life but none of us could have done the job at Newcastle.

Our biggest problem is still the midfield. EtH talks about being the best transition team but we don't play players who are capable of that. I wonder if Mount had been fit the whole season if we wouldn't have looked a lot better because he can at least play football.
Almiron is comfortably better than Antony at this point.

The point still stands. Howe's coaching has had at least the same impact as the money spent.

C'est Moi Cantona

My responses would be:

1. Who are the players Ten Hag is being forced to keep/play that he doesn't want to keep/play? That is news to me.

2. While I appreciate that clarity about the club's future and guidance from above is nice to have, those are not at all required for a good manager to show that he is good. Good managers perform inspite of circumstances. They are the ultimate security blanket. If you're a good manager you get the best out of what you have no matter what. Simple as. And Howe has done more with what he has been given than Ten Hag has.
I think it's fair to say that if ETH had his way in the summer then Mctominay and Maguire wouldn't be here now, and would also have been replaced, I'd add Martial to that list as well. There is no way we can fully understand what the manager is trying to do when he is playing players he doesn't want, whilst so many of the ones he does are unavailable.

There is just something about United that is making too many managers and players look terrible, for it to be logical to think simply replacing them all the time is going to solve anything.

If we are truly getting about to get all these proper football people at the club, then it would only be fair to see what Ten Hag can do under them if they give him the chance.

Trim90

Our biggest problem is using players who have shown consistently that they are not good enough including Bruno and overhyped Rashford. Heroball players that can't keep the ball for more than 10 seconds in their own f****ng team

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Start with benching underperforming players like Rashford and Bruno. Players who have one 8/10 performance and another five 2/10 performances. Rashford, Bruno, Maguire, Mctominay, Dalot, Martial, Lindelof have all shown that they are NOT good enough and have survived more than one trainer.

Yes our management is rotten to the core and the Glazers have to go, however the first XI is mediocre at best. All players mentioned above have been destroyed multiple times by decent opposition and all players mentioned above have been here long enough to show us that they are not consistent nor good enough. We NEED to get rid of all of them. Promote some youth, stick to Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo and literally delete the rest of the squad. Rather finish in the bottom half with players who can at least pass a ball and fight for 50/50 than our so called first XI. The rot has set and has been poisening the whole team for a decade now. This will not change with another manager.

Anyone thinking we have top players is just kidding themselves and Rashford is one of the most overhyped players I have ever witnessed.
Not to go into this post much as I don't disagree with the general tone but Bruno has no business being in that group.

He may not be KdB or Odegaard level but he is a quality player all the same and pretty much anything good that ever happens at this club comes from him at the core of it. A player who has repeatedly produced goals and assists, good work ethic and is always fit and available for club & country is not the issue. Look at literally every single player out there before him.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Exactly the same as the poor sod that comes after ETH. Club is absolutely broken

tomaldinho1

Another poor sod who’d have his reputation destroyed, he’d fail just like the rest

Andersons Dietician

I suppose it would depend on if he had the balls to give people the boot and if the club had the willingness to get rid of these players. They did it with Ronaldo and Sancho in fairness but getting rid of a Rashford I imagine would be a hard thing for the club to authorise given his stature and the publicity around him. Home grown, feeder of kids yada yada, academy product and all that.

I just don’t see how Eddie Howe who seems to get his teams running their socks off could do it with the low energy and un-athletic team we currently have. He’d need major clearouts

Mwooyo

The same or worse than Ten Hag. I will keep saying it, without a proper structure behind the manager, no one can hold him accountable. The stupid quotes from Ten Hag about never playing like Ajax are a sign that we don't have leadership behind the scenes. A proper DOF would have questioned ETH and made it clear that the style of play of Ajax was the main reason he was brought in. Right now ETH can say pretty much anything with very little accountability. John Murtough and Fletcher need to be sacked ASAP or need to work under someone else. It is no surprise that we just sign whoever ETH recommends. It should never ever be like that. The manager defines profiles needed to achieve a certain style of play...scouts find players fitting profiles... the club signs the best player in budget fitting that profile. We get leaks about our scouts doubting players like Amrabat even before he played and while I think he is a good player...you can absolutely 100 percent see the cause of their concern. ETH needs to fit into a structure and we need to setup that structure first. Once we have a proper DOF, and performances are still bad, we should not be scared to move on from ETH...but lets get that structure in place first