Huge games when one team was completely outclassed

432JuanMata

Taking from the thread “trophies the losing side should of won” I was thinking of matches that were huge or massively important where one team was totally outclassed.
As a United fan the final against Barca in 2011 stands out
Brazil getting trashed by Germany 7-1 in the WC.
I can think of some matches but not many were a team was totally outclassed any opinions ?

Red Star One

First football match I remember, France - Brazil World Cup Final in 1998 was quite like that.
EURO 2012 final between Spain and Italy was among the most one sided games I've ever seen and perhaps the most boring final of all times.
United - Barca in 2011 is unfortunately a decent shout.

No Love

Older family members tell me that the Milan-Barcelona final in 1994 was one of the finest performances by any team in a final.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Liverpool 4 nil against Barcelona.
Us doing Roma 7-1
United Arsenal 8-2

PoTMS

Both Champions League finals against Barcelona.

432JuanMata

First football match I remember, France - Brazil World Cup Final in 1998 was quite like that.
EURO 2012 final between Spain and Italy was among the most one sided games I've ever seen and perhaps the most boring final of all times.
United - Barca in 2011 is unfortunately a decent shout.
Forgot about that Spain and Italy match that was a walk in the park

kidbob

Barca 5-0 over Real Madrid. They absolutely ruined them that night.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Bayern - RM 0-4

It was settled fairly quickly, never any doubt.

Wittmann45

I remember watching Sevilla completely dominate Middlesbrough in the UEFA Cup final

AC Milan dominated United 3-0 in 2007. Probably worse than either CL Final versus Barcelona

RUCK4444

Our CL final with Barca 2011.

We knew it was a big ask but feck me, they ran us into the ground including Three Lung Park... I had never seen Park run until he collapsed, we were chasing shadows.

What a side that peak Barca team were, frightening.

Irwin99

United 6 Arsenal 1 . We didn't even play with much midfield discipline just everyone was running rampant through their midfield and at their dodgy defence. Keane and Yorke were superb.

For balance, i'd also say Arsenal 3 United 0 in 1998. We got absolutely crushed and Vieira was magnificent.

432JuanMata

Our CL final with Barca 2011.

We knew it was a big ask but feck me, they ran us into the ground including Three Lung Park... I had never seen Park run until he collapsed, we were chasing shadows.

What a side that peak Barca team were, frightening.
I put that in the OP, even when Rooney equalised it was just delaying the inevitable . That was peak Barca with Busquets,Iniesta and Xabi in CM against Giggs and Carrick it was sore to watch I’m glad the score wasn’t a blow out

RUCK4444

I put that in the OP, even when Rooney equalised it was just delaying the inevitable . That was peak Barca with Busquets,Iniesta and Xabi in CM against Giggs and Carrick it was sore to watch I’m glad the score wasn’t a blow out
Ah sorry missed that somehow. First game that sprung to mind as we where still a top side back then so as a fan you always back those United sides even against Barca. It was a harsh lesson.

It’s the best club side in history though so you just had to concede we lost to a great great side.

PoTMS

United 1-6 Spurs
United 1-6 City
United 1-4 Liverpool
United 8-2 Arsenal
United 6-1 Arsenal

Red Star One

Forgot about that Spain and Italy match that was a walk in the park
Yeah ridiculous game. Spain was just untouchable in that period, I remember Italians being quite hyped after beating Germany in a very exciting Warsaw semi final (with two legendary goals from Balotelli) only to be utterly destroyed in the final.

thepolice123

Tbf many of the matches mentioned here were huge scorelines after one team has completely collapsed. Games like Barca 6-2 Madrid felt like one team was truly outclassed if you watch the match.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
United 6 Arsenal 1 . We didn't even play with much midfield discipline just everyone was running rampant through their midfield and at their dodgy defence. Keane and Yorke were superb.

For balance, i'd also say Arsenal 3 United 0 in 1998. We got absolutely crushed and Vieira was magnificent.
Had to look that one up as I'd only remembered the 3-0 defeat in the charity shield.

We had Nicky Butt sent off on 51mins which certainly didn't help.

alanjohnson

Milan 3 - 0 United
2007 Champions league semi-final.
We would have been playing Liverpool in the final too.

el3mel

The 2011 final was literally the one that popped up in my head when I saw the thread title. Knew it'll get mentioned here.

We were absolutely humiliated this day. Second half was embarrassing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We toyed with Schalke when they were a decent team in Germany and Europe. We played reserve team in a fecking CL semifinal, that's how good Fergie was, he was resting our key players for the league. :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Older family members tell me that the Milan-Barcelona final in 1994 was one of the finest performances by any team in a final.
First one that came to mind. Baresi and Costacurta missing for Milan, a lot of people had Barca as favorites. Yet Milan completely outclassed them.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
When we beat Arsenal 5-1 in 2014. I’d never seen an opening 20 minutes like that.

Arsenal are probably on the wrong end of a lot of these.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
That Spain-Italy final was particularly bad, I remember Casillas saying to the ref to blow it up before injury time was fully finished out of "respect for Italia", because it was just a bit sad to drag it out for a few minutes longer. I mean I'm sure he just wanted to celebrate but still.

Bayern beating Barcelona 4-0 back in 2013 was another one, but these days one of the big sides getting absolutely dicked on in the CL knockouts is an annual occurrence.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sadly I still have nightmares about our two CL finals against Barca. I literally felt humiliated after those games. We were never in it really.

Their style of playing worked so well against anyone back then though.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Sadly I still have nightmares about our two CL finals against Barca. I literally felt humiliated after those games. We were never in it really.

Their style of playing worked so well against anyone back then though.
Think Fergie was in shock during the second one. There was a shot of one of his hands physically shaking during injury time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
First one that came to mind. Baresi and Costacurta missing for Milan, a lot of people had Barca as favorites. Yet Milan completely outclassed them.
Aye. Barcelona’s dream team had won 4 league titles on the bounce and, with Milan’s injuries, were clear favourites, especially with Cruyff giving it big licks in the press ahead of the game.

432JuanMata

Yeah ridiculous game. Spain was just untouchable in that period, I remember Italians being quite hyped after beating Germany in a very exciting Warsaw semi final (with two legendary goals from Balotelli) only to be utterly destroyed in the final.
Yeah
Yesh that was the tournament where Pirlo destroyed England by not even making 1 sprint in the game couldn’t get near him so Italy got overhyped to bits then Busquets,Xabi and Iniesta where on him like a light and Italy crumbled. That midfield trio was like a cheat code they were as good without the ball as they were with it

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The more obvious ones have been mentioned, so I'll go for City 6 Chelsea 0 a couple of years back. City have embarrased a few good sides in recent seasons.

MattofManchester

I'm surprised there's little mention of Bayern-Barca 8-2.

That second half was painful to watch even as a neutral. Barca weren't just outplayed.
They were pushed so far into the dirt, that they just started digging the rest of the ditch themselves.

By goal 5, I don't think Bayern were even in second gear.