Huge games when one team was completely outclassed

Gazza

England 1 Germany 4
2010 World Cup

Lampard had that goal ridiculously not given which would have somehow brought it back to 2-2, but Germany were levels better than Capello’s miserable team.

On the flip side, England dismantled Holland at Euro 96 and beat Germany 5-1 in Munich in 2001.

Ladron de redcafe

You should watch the final (again) if you think that. They slightly dominated that game which is no surprise when they took the lead already in the 6th minute. We played them 3 times in the CL that season and there was nothing between us. Indeed they actually got lucky in one of the draws against us when they scored an offside goal (they were actually offside twice in the build up of that goal iirc). In the final without our midfield duo which was the base of our build up play and chasing the game that early, Bayern were always going to be in more control, still the game was more or less even in reality and also backed up by stats.
That was the match in Munich when Elber was clearly past the last line of defense. We really should have won that match. Schmeichel made a mistake in the 89th minute when he miscalculated and came out of a ball he was never going to get, and Bayern got a last minute equaliser. A minute later, Sheringham missed a wide open header from 5 yards.

We also outplayed them at Old Trafford and had the better chances before Salihamizic equalised.

I see his point about the final. We were second best and Scholl and Jancker both hit the crossbar while out best chance was Blomquist not throwing himself at a ball that was going across Bayern's goal. But as you said, that wasn't out best side. David Beckham and Butt played in central midfield with Ryan Giggs on the right hand wing. It was a disjointed United team that kept themselves in it until the miracle happened.

MADReaLJL

United 1-6 Spurs
United 1-6 City
United 1-4 Liverpool
United 8-2 Arsenal
United 6-1 Arsenal
United 1 - 6 Spurs more like Utd collapsed on their own rather than Spurs played too well I guess.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I remember going to go watch that game with my mates on the big screen of a riverside park in Florence, all like "yo gonna be such a match"
Five minutes or so into the game, my housemate called me on the phone, he had closed himself out of the apt leaving the keys inside.
So I reluctantly left to go open the door, took around twenty minutes to go and come back.
When I got back, I found all my mates with a pint at the bar at the entrance of the park, you couldn't even see the screen from there.
"Hey but the game?"
"Forget about it mate, it's already over and painful to watch".
"Ah, ok."
I can’t believe anyone who wasn’t a Brazil fan didn’t enjoy that match. Watching the meltdown was absolutely delicious. Easily best moment of any World Cup this century.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Bayern - Arsenal, a few times
Bayern - Chelsea
Bayern - Barca, not once but twice
Germany - Brazil

comes to mind.
The last 10 or so years, Bayern did some outclassing for sure.. What also comes to mind was that abysmal display under Klinsmann against Barca, 0:4 I think? In 2009. In some weird sense that was the spark that ignited the Bayern we have today.

Ibi Dreams

England 1 Germany 4
2010 World Cup

Lampard had that goal ridiculously not given which would have somehow brought it back to 2-2, but Germany were levels better than Capello’s miserable team.

On the flip side, England dismantled Holland at Euro 96 and beat Germany 5-1 in Munich in 2001.
Don't really agree with the 4-1. At 2-1 England were actually causing Germany some problems and obviously did actually equalise. Had the goal stood we might have seen a pretty different game, England were opened up on the counter chasing a goal that they'd already scored.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
A game that isn't mentioned here but springs to mind is Dortmund v City in the 2012-13 UCL Group Stage.

For me, it really set the tone that Dortmund were now amongst the best teams in Europe. The previous season they came last in their UCL group and therefore there was still a sense that they were too naive to be successful in Europe, despite winning the league again.

Coming up against the champions of England, at their home, they utterly dominated City and played a fast-intense football that it seemed City had no idea how to cope with; also indicating how far behind England was going to get in terms of tactics before they brought in people like Pep and Klopp.

The score was 1-1 in the end, because of a harsh penalty given against Subotic in the 90th minute. Before that though, Dortmund bossed them and should've been more ahead than just one goal, a particular play that springs to mind is Gundogan chasing down Yaya Toure, widely regarded is the best midfielder in the Prem, winning the ball, dribbling past Clichy and playing a wonderful cross to Lewandowski who missed from a few yards out. Dortmund hit the post and Hart had a wonderful game as well to stop Dortmund from scoring more.

It was a real marker for what was to come from Klopp and Dortmund that season, they followed that with beating Madrid at home and eventually topping the group; going unbeaten.

thepolice123

You should watch the final (again) if you think that. They slightly dominated that game which is no surprise when they took the lead already in the 6th minute. We played them 3 times in the CL that season and there was nothing between us. Indeed they actually got lucky in one of the draws against us when they scored an offside goal (they were actually offside twice in the build up of that goal iirc). In the final without our midfield duo which was the base of our build up play and chasing the game that early, Bayern were always going to be in more control, still the game was more or less even in reality and also backed up by stats.
Bayern were just more up for it than us. Not really outclassed. We missed Keane hugely. Scholes was a bit of a non-factor because he wasn't really a regular starter in the CL matches back then. Also I thought Becks had a poor game in midfield. A lot of running but he couldn't give us the control we needed in midfield.

Irrational.

Liverpool Spurs CL final.

Spurs came into the game as some kind of up and coming force on the rise. Instead they put in a wet wipe performance and were throughly outclassed. The result was never in any doubt despite what Spurs being hyped up to be. Bottleham being Bottleham. Shortly after, Poch was sacked which was almost unthinkable at the time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bayern were just more up for it than us. Not really outclassed. We missed Keane hugely. Scholes was a bit of a non-factor because he wasn't really a regular starter in the CL matches back then. Also I thought Becks had a poor game in midfield. A lot of running but he couldn't give us the control we needed in midfield.
That was never his role.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Eh? I know Scholes didn’t play against Juve (about 3 days after the Arsenal game IIRC), but I don’t think it’s fair to say he wasn’t a regular starter.

He started both games in the qualifying round against Łódź.

He started all 6 group games (including against Bayern and Barca).

He started 1 v Inter in a game we won 2-0 and came off the bench the second leg.

He started the home game v Juve and came off the bench the second leg.

So he started every game he was eligible for but 2, and you can easily put that down to fixture congestion/maybe tactical changes for a bit more steel, and featured in every single game.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Don't really agree with the 4-1. At 2-1 England were actually causing Germany some problems and obviously did actually equalise. Had the goal stood we might have seen a pretty different game, England were opened up on the counter chasing a goal that they'd already scored.
Yeah, I don’t think England were outclassed as such because Germany weren’t exactly amazing. It was a very scrappy game but Germany exposed England’s lack of pace and inability to deal with balls over the top. They were incredibly clinical and pretty much scored every chance they had but it was hardly some great dominant performance from a footballing sense.

Edit: I actually looked at the FIFA match report to find out what the possession and shot stats for the match were and hilariously they have completely omitted any mention of the game’s pivotal and most memorable moment: https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/worldcupathome-germany-england-south-africa-2010-3070277

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The CL final 2012 :mad:
I was on a weekend trip with a friend in Liège and we watched it in a bar.
The one time I wanted Bayern to win a game they bottle it. Iirc Chelsea had almost half their team out or suspended and they weren’t that good anymore in Europe anyway (they were much better between 2004 and 2009) and Bayern were playing at home. But Bayern couldn’t finish their dinner that night!
Chelsea didn’t “deserve” to win the cup that year however on balance at least their senior players probably deserved to win the CL. They were the closest / most unfortunate side not to win it when they were actually good (that “goal” in 2005 Liverpool scored, THAT game in 2009 against Barca with all those referee decisions and of course they were a Terry slip away from winning it in 2008).
So it was probably written in the stars that they win it in 2012. But it was still very annoying. Barca after easily winning the final against us one year earlier, couldn’t beat a 10-men Chelsea plus missed a penalty, and then Bayern decided to replicate Barca’s performance in the final.
It was either that, or a Cech red card and a penalty.

And neither team deserved to go through in that tie, it was soul destroying football.

The rematches in 2007 and 2008 were better.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When we lost 4-0 to Barcelona in the 90s.

abundance

Supports
Inter
I can’t believe anyone who wasn’t a Brazil fan didn’t enjoy that match. Watching the meltdown was absolutely delicious. Easily best moment of any World Cup this century.
mmm for me, schadenfreude flows potent at club level, you know, rivalries and banter, but at international level, I always feel bad for teams trashed beyond humiliation.
Only possible exception would be France .p

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
mmm for me, schadenfreude flows potent at club level, you know, rivalries and banter, but at international level, I always feel bad for teams trashed beyond humiliation.
Only possible exception would be France .p
The entitlement of the whole of Brazil during that tournament was incredible so it was lovely to watch them crash and burn in such style. I also can’t stand the way the media fawns over them and even the most basic piece of skill is “samba football” when done by a Brazil national team player even when they have a bang average side. The fact they were in their own country and it was their “destiny” to win it made it even more nauseating than usual.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To me the thing that sticks to mind about games such as the 7-1 or the 8-2 is how unsurprising they were. I even made money by betting on the 8-2 :lol: (specifically bet bayern to win by more than 3 goals, over 5 goals scored in the game and then after bayern's 5th immediately bet on the over 9.5 and bayern to score at least 8)

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Of the ones I witnessed it has to be Barca 5-0 vs Madrid in 2010/11. Also the FA Cup final between us and Arsenal in 2015. It was only 4-0 but it could have probably been 40-0 if Arsenal really felt like it. We played the most suicidal high line of all time under Tactics Tim Sherwood.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Some big ones have been mentioned....the 2011 final against Barca, Germany Brazil, 8-2 v Arsenal, 6-1 at home to City....Roma being dismantled at Old Trafford...

so will go for some others that stick in my mind...might not all be accurate but feck it...some bigger than others as games too.

United 4 - 0 Porto somewhere around 97?? Porto were a very good side....we took them apart.

Newcastle 2 - 6 United absolute destruction, should have been more. Was a big game for us and needed a win.

United 6 - 2 Leeds absolute destruction, should have been more.

United 5 - 3 Newcastle somehow they made it respectable...remember feeling it flattered them.

Newcastle 5 - 0 United Well, yeah..

Chelsea 5 - 0 United feck me what a day at the office that was. Shite. Chelsea battered us. Never forget that little cnut Morris getting the 5th playing the trumpet. Prick.

Chelsea 3 - 5 United FA Cup game, United went 5 up and Chelsea scored 3 late on. Flattered them.

United 4 - 0 Chelsea Cup final

United 2 - 0 Newcastle 0 Cup final

Arsenal 0 - 0 United Cup final (lost on pens) still can't work that one out. They did feck all for 120 mins.

Norwich 1 - 3 United 1992/93 huge in the context of that season. 3 up in about half an hour odd? Just blew them away

United 0 - 3 City under Moyes? Horrendous. Outclassed.

Chelsea 3 - 0 United I think they won the league at Stamford Bridge by beating us. Utterly miserable performance. They were in party mood.

Liverpool 3 - 1 United Kuyt hatrick? Think we got one at the end? We were shite.

West Ham 4 - 0 United League Cup. Shit night, cold and fecking snowing. We created nothing and Carlton Cole turned into Ruud Van fecking Nistelrooy for half an hour.

Arsenal 1 - 3 United European Cup 2009. fecking tore them to shreds. The plastic flags at kick off :lol: third goal was pure sex...and we smashed them to feck

United 4 - 0 Arsenal...one where Nani was taking the piss doing kick ups?

United 4 - 0 Liverpool think Sami Hyypia got sent off early? They were lucky it was 4.

Arsenal 2 - United 6 League Cup....Sharpey hatrick. United were unreal that night.

Juventus 0 - 3 United Giggs came on as an early sub (i think) and got 2. Though I seem to remember watching it back recently and it not being anything like as convincing as I remember? Getting confused in middle age :lol:

Last edited: